or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone

Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 307

What pains me is why Apple wasn't the FIRST to offer multiple sized iPhones? It used that very strategy with the iPod and it ran just about everyone else out of business. So why not the iPhone? Why can't I have a nice sized screen on an iPhone? Surely there is a HUGE market, being the Samsung Galaxy S3 has sold in massive numbers. As a matter of fact, most Android owners claim the iPhone's small size turned them OFF...

post #42 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I've had nothing but iPhones since 2007, but I have to say when I held my friends Galaxy SIII I was a bit jealous of that large screen.

The bigger screen is attractive, at first.  I think 4.8 was just a little too big for me.  I would prefer a 4.5inch.   But that's just me.

Yeah, I think if Apple did several screen sizes in the iPhone 5, they would have had better initial reception from the media.  The problem with bigger screen is size, weight, battery life, processor might need to have better GPUs, and then there is a cost factor.  The S II didn't sell that well, but the SIII did primarily because they were spending an enormous amount of money in spiffs to sales reps, advertising, etc, but they still only sold 35 Million units in a little over 6 months, which in comparison to the iPhone 5, isn't that great of sales.  

post #43 of 307

When it comes to catering to a wide variety of customers, it's a no brainer to have choices instead of just doing the one size fits all thing. It's just like having more than one size iPad, iPod, and Macbook to choose from. 

post #44 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Nope. I'm considering it too. I had high hopes for the iPhone 5, but was disappointed that it wasn't a bigger screen. My old eyes can't see so good, these days, and I'm not whipping out reading glasses evertytime I have to look at my phone. My iPhone is becoming harder to read for me. It's a shame, because I really, really love my iPhone. I just need something with a bigger, more easily read screen.

You raise the $64,000 question: were Apple to do this (and I doubt they will) would it be better to introduce a new logical screen size (between that of the iPhone and the iPad (all iPads have the same logical screen size) or just "make the pixels bigger" on the iPhone 5.  I would expect that most users would prefer the former (more usable pixels), but it would be a PITA for developers and it wouldn't help with the "too small to read without reading glasses" crowd (of which I am now a member).  The latter would be easier, but I doubt that's what most people want.

Frankly, we'll never know if Apple is making the right move by sticking to their guns on this.  I expect that the analysts are right that Apple could increase sales in the short run by having more models.  But that's a change from the keep-it-simple model that has made them the most successful company in recent memory, so it's not a change to be made lightly.

post #45 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone

But how not alone are you? Is the cost of R&D, manufacturing, splitting the product line, etc. enough to make it a large enough market worth pursuing? I think a 4.94" iPhone makes sense on many technical levels but I don't have enough data to know if it makes sense from a marketing standpoint since the 5" Android-based phones are not the most popular Android-based devices sold.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

See you in 18 month, when you're back from Samsung!

The Nexus 4 is made by LG.  I don't want to speak for the other gentleman, but the Nexus 4 is on the same level of quality as an iPhone 4 or 4s.  Glass back/front, it's a very well made phone.  My overall opinion is that Android phones are crap, cheaply made - except for this one.  If Google and it's hardware partners continue on that path, watch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I’m genuinely curious as to why you want a phone with a bigger display? Everyone I have seen with a large Android device pressed against their heads looks like absolute twats. I can understand wanting a bigger display for content such as games/books/movies etc but then why wouldn’t you just get an iPad?

Apple has explained why they went for the 4” display, it’s the biggest they could go and still maintain one handed operation.

Again, I don't want to speak for the other guy as your question was directed at him, not me - but 4.7 inches (Nexus 4) isn't much larger than the iPhone 5.  I will agree on the 5 + inch behemoths, etc, it's just ugly.  I know people love the Galaxy Note but it's just too big to use as a phone (my opinion)

But 4.7" on the Nexus is pretty much usable with one hand.  As much so as my iPhone 5.

post #47 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So according to the AI articles there's increasing calls from investors and analysts for Apple to chase Samsung's strategy of including lower price point smartphones along with high-end phablets in their model line. 

Huh.

It's why stock market analysts are analysts and not CEOs of tech companies.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #48 of 307
Quote:

What pains me is why Apple wasn't the FIRST to offer multiple sized iPhones? It used that very strategy with the iPod and it ran just about everyone else out of business. So why not the iPhone? Why can't I have a nice sized screen on an iPhone? Surely there is a HUGE market, being the Samsung Galaxy S3 has sold in massive numbers. As a matter of fact, most Android owners claim the iPhone's small size turned them OFF...

Yeah, I know the iPhone small size turned off some people.  But the S3 only sold 35 Million units in 2012, and Apple sold more than that in basically one quarter.  I know someone that had a 4S, it was stolen, then they got the S3 before the iPhone 5 was announced and the screen size is what got them to buy it, but since they've had it, they miss the iPhone and now they want to get an iPhone 5 because the S3 just sucks.  They've had nothing but problems with the S3 and it's not so easy to use/hold.   We don't always know what the best size product when we purchase product until we get about 6 months usage.

post #49 of 307

Natural evolution-  the screen should be larger-   Apple must IMO,  develop a slightly larger form factor for a variety of reasons.

When the Iphone was released it was a huge step forward in many ways.  Today,  the small screen lacks.  

Reasons-  Typing accuracy,   eyesight limitations,   ease of use etc,  visual real estate.   Slimmer, lighter phones can easily handle the larger screen.

No point in letting other companies get a leg up. 

Apple should evolve to a 5" screen size, its a natural  direction.  Lets call it "Guy-phone"-    for those of us with big mitts. 

Those seeking smaller form factor-   a wrist worn repeater would do the trick.   I truly hope Apple is developing,  that too,  is a natural direction.  Again, no point in letting other companies..........

post #50 of 307

Investors/analysts just need to shut the **** up (and I'm one of them) and stop telling Apple how to run it's business, as they've proven over the years they're as visionless and clueless as can possibly be, and have been wrong about absolutely everything. Apple just needs to keep doing what IT thinks its best and ignore all the OCD noise. 

post #51 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

Completely agreed with the article.  If Apple cannot compete with innovation, the strategy has to be changed.  Let's see if Tim Cook can adapt to the new game plan.

There is nothing innovative about a larger screen. Anyone can do that. Or do you really think Apple is incapable of making a phone bigger? As for a new game plan, Following others down the race to the bottom is not a game plan for innovation or long term success

post #52 of 307

Here is why Apple, in my personal uninformed amateur opinion, really does need to offer an iPhone featuring a larger screen.

Old people. And by that I mean, those of us who just hit 40, like me.  I can't see cr*p that's close to my eyes.  I have to zoom into everything.  A bigger screen will be better for that purpose.

I'm not alone.  It's a common joke among all the guys I go camping and hiking with.  We're all pulling our little iPhones away from our eyes at arms' length to see them better, and we're all envious of the guy who's got the big Samsung.

Maybe they can make a bigger screen iPhone that comes with a walker, a drool cup, and Geritol.  I'll take one lol.

post #53 of 307

I like my iPhone 5 and wouldn't want something bigger, but it's fairly obvious that one size does not fit all. Samsung and others are selling meaningful volumes of larger screen phones. Apple has more than enough sales volume to sustain a couple of different sizes economically, just as they do with, say, 13" and 15" laptops—or iPads.

With Apple there are no certainties, but to me it seems highly likely that there will also be a larger screen iPhone. I won't be buying it, but that's hardly the point.

post #54 of 307

It seems like there's enough glass to work with to get a larger viewable area. Keep shrinking those bezels, Apple. If we can tap some of the incredibly small target areas of the UI (chevrons and one-letter web site links on the bookmarks bar in Safari), we can certainly hit a smaller home button.

The U.S. is aging. I love the iPhone. I'd love a slightly larger one that's easier to type on and read. I don't care about one or two hands. I do this thing called Adapt.

Simultaneously, I did see a guy with a 5"+ monster thing the other day. He did look like a douche. So we have to avoid that. Maybe something just under 5". I'll let Apple work that out.

It's coming.

post #55 of 307

If Apple came out with a larger screen on an iPone it would not be a selling point for me.  I am happy with my 4s.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #56 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone

Agree.  I will also go with a larger screen if Apple does have one when my iphone contract expires--it would be first non-Apple phone since the iPhone was released.  Also, no I don't want phone functions in an iPad mini.  Finally, I also understand that many of you don't want a larger screen.  That's fine.  It's why there is an 11" and 13" MBA and a 13" and 15" MBP.  People want some options with screen size.  I will make due with pocketability problems and one handed operation problems to gain the benefits of the larger screen,

Apple could solve this issue by releasing two models and doing away with the others.  1. A plastic low end model with a 3GS body, lightning connector, and 4" screen.  2. A high end 5" screen with current body style of the ipad mini or current iphone five with upgraded internals.  This would solve their problem with size of screens.  Gives them a lower cost option and pushes lightning across all phones.

post #57 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

See you in 18 month, when you're back from Samsung!

How do you know he's going with a Samsung?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #58 of 307

Well, one thing I know for sure, if Apple made a larger phone it sure as hell wouldn't look like that ugly piece of crap mock-up created by expanding an iPhone 5.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #59 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, I know the iPhone small size turned off some people.  But the S3 only sold 35 Million units in 2012, and Apple sold more than that in basically one quarter.  I know someone that had a 4S, it was stolen, then they got the S3 before the iPhone 5 was announced and the screen size is what got them to buy it, but since they've had it, they miss the iPhone and now they want to get an iPhone 5 because the S3 just sucks.  They've had nothing but problems with the S3 and it's not so easy to use/hold.   We don't always know what the best size product when we purchase product until we get about 6 months usage.

Quoting sales numbers isn't a valid argument in the context of this discussion. When someone buys a phone they have to choose between iOS and Android (and a couple others). If someone chooses iOS they have to buy the iPhone, thus it becomes the single phone model with the most sales. The S3 is competing against a boatload of other Android models at wide range of screen sizes, some very close to its 4.8 inch panel.

I think Apple would have enormous success selling a 4.6+ inch iPhone.
post #60 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

It seems like there's enough glass to work with to get a larger viewable area. Keep shrinking those bezels, Apple. If we can tap some of the incredibly small target areas of the UI (chevrons and one-letter web site links on the bookmarks bar in Safari), we can certainly hit a smaller home button.

The U.S. is aging. I love the iPhone. I'd love a slightly larger one that's easier to type on and read. I don't care about one or two hands. I do this thing called Adapt.

Simultaneously, I did see a guy with a 5"+ monster thing the other day. He did look like a douche. So we have to avoid that. Maybe something just under 5". I'll let Apple work that out.

It's coming.

I personally thought people looked like douches when the first smartphones came out. We got used to them then and we'll get used to them getting bigger again.
post #61 of 307
I see them increasing the screen size IF they keep the current phone size. Bigger is just ridiculous.
post #62 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

The Nexus 4 is made by LG.  I don't want to speak for the other gentleman, but the Nexus 4 is on the same level of quality as an iPhone 4 or 4s.  Glass back/front, it's a very well made phone.  My overall opinion is that Android phones are crap, cheaply made - except for this one.  If Google and it's hardware partners continue on that path, watch out.

Again, I don't want to speak for the other guy as your question was directed at him, not me - but 4.7 inches (Nexus 4) isn't much larger than the iPhone 5.  I will agree on the 5 + inch behemoths, etc, it's just ugly.  I know people love the Galaxy Note but it's just too big to use as a phone (my opinion)

But 4.7" on the Nexus is pretty much usable with one hand.  As much so as my iPhone 5.

I will also add to this: I don't use my phone much as a phone these days.  Mainly, texting, web browsing, reading, games, etc.  With that said, I want to do those things and the ocasional phone call on a device that has a larger screen--larger to do those things, but still pocket (I too am thinking a Nexus 4 and not a Note II).  I understand that an iPad can do all of these things with an even larger screen--but I don't want to carry that around all day and it doesn't fit in my pocket.  A 4.7 inch Nexus 4 does fit in my pocket.  I much prefer iOS but will make the sacrifice for the screen real estate.

post #63 of 307
Please. "Leaving money on the table" can be used to describe anything trendy that Apple's isn't selling, whether it fits their vision or not.

If Apple chases the competition, people will criticize Tim for repeating John Sculley's loss of focus on innovation. If Apple "leaves money on the table," people will criticize him for not chasing the competition.

Conclusion: haters gonna hate.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #64 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAllister View Post

Ye

I seriously doubt phablits will become the norm, I Love the size if my 4 inch Retna Display of my iPhone 5. It os the perfect size to fit in my hand!

For how long did you think smartphones wouldn't be the norm?
post #65 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Please. "Leaving money on the table" can be used to describe anything trendy that Apple's isn't selling, whether it fits their vision or not.

If Apple chases the competition, people will criticize Tim for repeating John Sculley's loss of focus on innovation. If Apple "leaves money on the table," people will criticize him for not chasing the competition.

Conclusion: haters gonna hate.

As long as Apple still has a vision...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #66 of 307
I love my iPhone 5 and think it's the perfect form factor for my purposes. Does everything I need it to while on the go and yet still fits in my pocket. But why shouldn't Apple make different size phones? They do it with iPods, iPads, and Macs. The iPhone seems to be the only product in Apple's lineup that only has one form factor for the newest generation. I don't think Apple should do it just to say they have a phablet like device and half arse it. But if they do it right then I think Apple should be getting into this category of phones.
post #67 of 307
I just think it's too damn big. Put that in your back pocket, and see how fast it is stolen in a crowd?
post #68 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I just think it's too damn big. Put that in your back pocket, and see how fast it is stolen in a crowd?

You're wearing it wrong 1wink.gif

post #69 of 307
If there's money to be made with a 5" phone, Apple will release one. Not on these "analysts" time but in its own time. If they do release one, it'll be in addition to the 4" line. The fact that the iPhone sold record numbers last qtr, it amazing that Apple NEEDS to do something according to the analysts.
post #70 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Old people. And by that I mean, those of us who just hit 40...

Easy man.  40 isn't old...I'm still mid 30s, I don't want to think of 40 as "old" just yet.

post #71 of 307

In general, I would like the larger screen, however love the 4S size for out doing stuff, easy to carry whether hiking or anything. I dont want the 4" screen or larger.

There is nothing wrong with taking a set of technology and offering it in various flavors... just don't forget what got you there... the technology/design.

In anycase, its all good, as soon as Apple releases a larger phone all these naysayers will say its the greatest since slice bread.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #72 of 307

Meh.  Fortunately, Apple has traditionally not put much stock into what investors/analysts have had to say.  

Apple is also pretty good at gauging the market and assessing trends resulting in far more hits that misses. I don't believe Apple will abandon the lighter smaller more portable design of the iPhone 5 in place of a larger screened device, but instead offer an additional model if they believe there is a sufficient market for these devices. I personally find the current design of the iPhone a perfect balance between portability and function. 

post #73 of 307

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/5/13 at 3:16pm
post #74 of 307
Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post
I don't want a brick up against my head as I talk.

See, if you ask people about this, they'll say you're an idiot for using your phone as a phone. That seems to be their only argument for a larger model.

Originally Posted by MrAllister View Post
It is the perfect size to fit in my hand!

Yep, that's another thing that you'll get made fun of for thinking.

Why can't I have a nice sized screen on an iPhone?

You already do.

As a matter of fact, most Android owners claim the iPhone's small size turned them OFF...

No, but believe what you want.

Originally Posted by theCore View Post
Natural evolution

HA!

…the screen should…

Why?

…must IMO…

You don't see that often.

Typing accuracy

What's so hard about typing on either of the iPhone's screens?

No point in letting other companies get a leg up.

Other companies are the fat kid standing at the bottom of the cliff, jumping in vain. Samsung just hooked itself into Apple's rappelling gear.

Apple should evolve to a 5" screen size, its a natural direction.

Man, this stuff just sneaks up on you and then wham, instant humor.

Lets call it "Guy-phone"-    for those of us with big mitts. 

And boom goes the argument.

Those seeking smaller form factor-   a wrist worn repeater would do the trick.

No, a Dick Tracy phone is not a valid solution for anyone. Not even spies.

I truly hope Apple is developing,  that too,  is a natural direction.

Stupidity is a natural direction?

Again, no point in letting other companies..........

I say let 'em have at it!

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

In anycase, its all good, as soon as Apple releases a larger phone all these naysayers will say its the greatest since slice bread.

You want to say that to my face? lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #75 of 307
All apple need to is make the iPhone slightly wider and im sure they'll be on to a winner.It may not have every cheap thrill under the sun but there is no phone that performs like a iphone
post #76 of 307

This should really be titled "Shaw Wu says ..."   Careful observers will note that the other analyst is actually talking about something else entirely.  

A related observation ... Has Shaw Wu ever been right about anything at all?  1tongue.gif

post #77 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCore View Post

Apple should evolve to a 5" screen size, its a natural  direction.  Lets call it "Guy-phone"-    for those of us with big mitts. 

My brother's a large man with a degenerative neural disorder similar to Parkinson's. Not only can he hold an iPhone 5 comfortably in his "big mitts", but he can use it too. If you can't, I'm not sure increasing the size of the phone would solve your problems.

post #78 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckp View Post

Love Apple, have a ton of Apple products, and was happy to buy Apple stock 10 years ago and sell it in September. But why is Apple being so stubborn about iPhone screen sizes? It's obvious that many people want a bigger screen. So Johnny Ives telling us why the 4 inch screen is perfect for us isn't going to cut it in the marketplace. Samsung is eating Apple's lunch By giving consumers what they want as opposed to giving them what Samsung thinks they should want. So now Apple is playing "follow the leader." Apple better get smarter in a hurry or it is going to take a smaller and smaller share of the market.

Three iPhone models outsold all of Sammy's phones last qtr. Apple still leads with 2/3 all profits in the mobile space. Usage share also favors Apple. OS Market Share also favors Apple because you have to include the touch and iPad. Apple will release a 5" in addition to the 4" when it feels it's ready. I bet you and these analysts are still waiting for a Mac Netbook.
post #79 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioslider View Post

Meh.  Fortunately, Apple has traditionally not put much stock into what investors/analysts have had to say.  

I thought the same thing until the iPad mini...

Don't get me wrong.  I like it and I plan on buying one in Retina, when available.  But I think if Apple announces an iPhone + or even the cheaper iPhone, it's a pretty clear sign they're listening to the investors/analysts.

post #80 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But how not alone are you? Is the cost of R&D, manufacturing, splitting the product line, etc. enough to make it a large enough market worth pursuing? I think a 4.94" iPhone makes sense on many technical levels but I don't have enough data to know if it makes sense from a marketing standpoint since the 5" Android-based phones are not the most popular Android-based devices sold.

Marketing, and also from a strategic pov. 

I think it is important for Apple not to appear stagnant and consequently less relevant. With that in mind it may make sense to offer up another model in spite of the additional dev and production costs. Apple is the only entity that can reasonably make that calculation and call, but I'd love to see a larger iPhone, personally. In an of itself there is nothing wrong with that from Apple's perspective witnessed by the two size choices in all Apple's other (screened) devices.

If they brought out a 5" iPhone, would they also bring out a 5" iPod touch?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone