or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Apple job listings point to iOS Maps improvements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Apple job listings point to iOS Maps improvements

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
In an update to its Jobs at Apple webpage on Monday, Apple posted at least ten advertisements for positions within the iOS Maps team, suggesting the company is looking to make major enhancements to its proprietary mapping service.

iOS Maps
3D flyover rendering issues as seen in Apple's iOS Maps app.


According to multiple job listings posted on Feb. 4, Apple is seeking ten software engineers to contribute to iOS Maps, nine of whom will handle various programming duties, while one will be assigned to tackle navigation. The listings, discovered by AppleBitch, are for jobs located in Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters.

A closer look at the listings reveal that the company is looking to make upgrades on a number of fronts, including the iOS Maps app's user interface, integration with other iOS services like Siri, how maps are displayed in real time, points of interest labeling and 3D flyover visuals, among others.

Most of the ads start out with the following paragraph:
The iOS Maps team is looking for a proactive and hardworking software engineer to join our team. The Maps application is used by millions of customers and it's the best mapping program on any mobile platform. Our team is also responsible for MapKit, the iOS framework that displays maps which is used by countless applications on the App Store. When Apple's mapping service was released to the public in September 2012 as part of iOS 6, the app drew complaints from users around the world who found multiple inaccuracies, poor implementation of the 3D flyover feature and other problems inconsistent with the polish normally seen from an Apple product.

The Maps debacle prompted CEO Tim Cook to issue an apology letter and resulted in the firing of the executive in charge of the first-party mapping solution. Former iOS chief Scott Forstall's ouster was also said to be based at least partially on the fiasco.

In an effort to bolster the iOS Maps team, Apple most recently sought new hires in September, with many of the advertised positions being identical to Monday's listings.
post #2 of 47
uhh...the best mapping program on any mobile platform??
post #3 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

uhh...the best mapping program on any mobile platform??

Do you have evidence that it's not?

The fact that it can be improved does not prove that it's not already the best.

And before you start pointing to the whining about inaccuracies in Apple's Maps program, you need to learn what 'evidence' is. For starters, 'evidence' is not the plural of 'anecdote'. So far, no one has yet shown any evidence that the number of errors in Apple's program is significantly greater than the number in Google's Maps or anyone else's.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #4 of 47
1) Dick Applebaum post a picture very recently of the correction in FlyOver for the Hoover Damn.

2) I'd love for Apple to announce a maps.apple.com site that anyone with a modern browser can use. I understand not building for the rest of the world when HW is your product but with mapping I think we all are better off if we can use it from Macs (or whatever other OS with a modern browser).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

uhh...the best mapping program on any mobile platform??

1) It's an opinion which makes it perfectly valid for one to have.

2) I love the new Maps app compared to the previous one which had no TbT, vector graphics, and just looks and feels clunky by comparison. I also really like the UI they built for the app. It's much cleaner and smoother than what I've seen on other platforms which is why I'd say it's the best mapping program on any mobile platform. Now how complete and accurate there back-end repository of data points is another story, which I don't feel comfortable saying is the best despite not having any issues with it in actual use.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 47
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post
uhh...the best mapping program on any mobile platform??

 

Vector, highest-quality textures and modeling, and with all the amenities of any other platform, plus OS-level integration with just about anything you can imagine.

 

If you think Apple Maps is bad, try Bing for a while.


Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
…'evidence' is not the plural of 'anecdote'.

 

I like that. I'm going to have to use that…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 47

Requirements.  Effectively present ones self as a genius, producing genius level product, making millions for a mega tech company.  Must have short hair, take baths regularly, eat energy bars, give presentations in suggested clothing, smile all the time and never present ones self as a loser at any time.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #7 of 47

How about sparing us the bells and whistles and just make the data accurate and put back the transit information.  

You know, basic minimal 1.0 functionality? 

 

Nothing in my area has changed since launch.  Every error (and there are many and they are very major errors too), is still there despite there being thousands of people reporting the errors in the interim.  Not one single error has been fixed so far as I can see. 

post #8 of 47

Well, the Hoover Dam is now in 3D Flyover and actually looks great!!

Keep up the improvements Eddy!!


Edited by MacOSXAddict - 2/5/13 at 4:45pm
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


...
And before you start pointing to the whining about inaccuracies in Apple's Maps program, you need to learn what 'evidence' is. For starters, 'evidence' is not the plural of 'anecdote'. So far, no one has yet shown any evidence that the number of errors in Apple's program is significantly greater than the number in Google's Maps or anyone else's.

 

One would have to be pretty foolish to believe what you just wrote there.  

I haven't got any "evidence" to add to your court case, but there are areas (mostly outside of the USA) where almost every feature of the map is completely wrong.  

 

I live in a third largest city in Canada for example and all the parks are wrong (all the boundaries are all off by literally hundreds of metres), most of the transit routs are missing, all of the bike routes (we've had them downtown for years now) are all missing.  The last spur of the train lines for transit (put in years and years ago) is missing.  All the major transit stations downtown are inaccurately placed (blocks off in most cases).  

 

It's literally useless to use the maps in my city for anything other than a cursory overview of how the city is laid out.  On the average downtown city street, Apple's maps is also missing at least 60-70% of *all* businesses.  So even if you want to do a simple "where's the best japanese place around here" kind of search, you are automatically going to be off by 60% or more because it's simply not aware of those businesses.  At all.  It's a waste of time to use it for almost anything. 

 

I could go on and on but you get the picture.  I reported dozens of these problems to the maps application within days of it's launch and I'm sure many many others have as well.  So far it hasn't changed one iota. 

 

Edit: I should add that I love the way the app is designed and I think someday it will actually be the best but for now the data problems make it completely useless in many countries.   

post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

How about sparing us the bells and whistles and just make the data accurate and put back the transit information.  

You know, basic minimal 1.0 functionality? 

 

Nothing in my area has changed since launch.  Every error (and there are many and they are very major errors too), is still there despite there being thousands of people reporting the errors in the interim.  Not one single error has been fixed so far as I can see. 

Could you please give an example of a mapping service that has had transit information as 1.0 functionality? How many haven't? How many still don't?

post #11 of 47
Best mapping platform? Google maps is vastly better as even Tim Cook knows. I won't be having anything to do with it until it has street view and can find addresses, any address, where I live. This won't happen for at least 10 years.
post #12 of 47
Think of the money they coulda saved on the US93 bridge if they'd just called Apple first. Not to mention one sweeeeet thrill ride.
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

One would have to be pretty foolish to believe what you just wrote there.  
I haven't got any "evidence" to add to your court case, but there are areas (mostly outside of the USA) where almost every feature of the map is completely wrong.  

Then you shouldn't have any trouble showing that Google's Maps has fewer errors. You haven't done so.

It's really quiet simple:

Apple Maps has x errors.
Google Maps has y errors.

All you need to do is show that x > y. Until you do so, you're just spewing nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I live in a third largest city in Canada for example and all the parks are wrong (all the boundaries are all off by literally hundreds of metres), most of the transit routs are missing, all of the bike routes (we've had them downtown for years now) are all missing.  The last spur of the train lines for transit (put in years and years ago) is missing.  All the major transit stations downtown are inaccurately placed (blocks off in most cases).  

Yet one comparison in Canada showed that Apple Maps was not significantly worse than Google Maps.

You could also consider, for example, that there are countries like China where Google Maps is totally useless.

So please provide evidence to back your claim or stop whining.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Could you please give an example of a mapping service that has had transit information as 1.0 functionality? How many haven't? How many still don't?

How is that even remotely relevant?  Apple is trying to compete with the mapping services that are currently out there, not ones that existed in 2007.  

post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

How is that even remotely relevant?  Apple is trying to compete with the mapping services that are currently out there, not ones that existed in 2007.  

 

He said it was "basic, minimal 1.0 functionality". But it seems like it was never 1.0 functionality for any other mapping service, so that doesn't seem entirely fair. If he wanted to say, "I expected Apple Maps 1.0 to have transit directions since Google has it," that would be different. My other point was that while some mapping services (Google and I think Bing and Nokia) have transit directions, others that have been out for years still don't (Yahoo!, MapQuest). So calling it "basic" and "minimal" and "1.0" doesn't seem very accurate.

post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

One would have to be pretty foolish to believe what you just wrote there.  
I haven't got any "evidence" to add to your court case, but there are areas (mostly outside of the USA) where almost every feature of the map is completely wrong.  

I live in a third largest city in Canada for example and all the parks are wrong (all the boundaries are all off by literally hundreds of metres), most of the transit routs are missing, all of the bike routes (we've had them downtown for years now) are all missing.  The last spur of the train lines for transit (put in years and years ago) is missing.  All the major transit stations downtown are inaccurately placed (blocks off in most cases).  

It's literally useless to use the maps in my city for anything other than a cursory overview of how the city is laid out.  On the average downtown city street, Apple's maps is also missing at least 60-70% of *all* businesses.  So even if you want to do a simple "where's the best japanese place around here" kind of search, you are automatically going to be off by 60% or more because it's simply not aware of those businesses.  At all.  It's a waste of time to use it for almost anything. 

I could go on and on but you get the picture.  I reported dozens of these problems to the maps application within days of it's launch and I'm sure many many others have as well.  So far it hasn't changed one iota. 

Edit: I should add that I love the way the app is designed and I think someday it will actually be the best but for now the data problems make it completely useless in many countries.   
Yup, second all of that. Exactly my experience.
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then you shouldn't have any trouble showing that Google's Maps has fewer errors. You haven't done so.

It's really quiet simple:

Apple Maps has x errors.
Google Maps has y errors.

All you need to do is show that x > y. Until you do so, you're just spewing nonsense.
Yet one comparison in Canada showed that Apple Maps was not significantly worse than Google Maps.

You could also consider, for example, that there are countries like China where Google Maps is totally useless.

So please provide evidence to back your claim or stop whining.
There is an easy test. Start with Apple maps. If it doesn't work, or if it can't find what you are searching for then switch to Google maps and see if you have better luck there. If you do and this turns out to become a daily pattern, you have proof that for you, Apple maps is far less useful than Google Maps. It's the only metric that really counts.
post #18 of 47

We're on this one again?  Poor dead horse, can't catch a break.  

post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Could you please give an example of a mapping service that has had transit information as 1.0 functionality? How many haven't? How many still don't?

I doubt there was any that had it at 1.0 but I think that argument is much like when we see Windows Phone 8 or BB10 OSes comes to market now. If this was 2007 or 2008 they would have been great OSes but 6+ years after the iPhone's debut and several years of Android on the market being good isn't good enough. Apple needed to switch their mapping backend but there offerings was missing many things a mature Google Maps backend had. The best of a bad PR situation but still not good.

Anecdote Time: My father told me he had read that Apple had going back on its own mapping software by including Google Maps again. Of course, what he read was about Google creating an app for the App Store and Apple approving it, which was never an issue anyway as we've seen mapping apps in the App Store since it opened. I'm not sure if it was worded to make Apple look bad or if that is simply how he interpreted it but either way that is a problem. I am more certain than ever that Google had this app planned and ready before the switch but they hoped Apple to crash and burn on the bad press (not unlike the iPhone 4 and the antenna of doom) where they can come in and look like they are saviours. Good tactic but still sleazy.. if that happened.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

uhh...the best mapping program on any mobile platform??

 

That's right.  The best mapping program on any mobile platform.  Period.

post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I doubt there was any that had it at 1.0 but I think that argument is much like when we see Windows Phone 8 or BB10 OSes comes to market now. If this was 2007 or 2008 they would have been great OSes but 6+ years after the iPhone's debut and several years of Android on the market being good isn't good enough. Apple needed to switch their mapping backend but there offerings was missing many things a mature Google Maps backend had. The best of a bad PR situation but still not good.

 

Fair enough, though to be honest I don't like some of those arguments, either, about how, "OMG! This phone's application store just opened two hours ago and still doesn't have more than 10,000 apps! It's the suxorz!" I think in both cases people need to give at least a chance and a little bit of time.

post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

How about sparing us the bells and whistles and just make the data accurate and put back the transit information.  

You know, basic minimal 1.0 functionality? 

 

Nothing in my area has changed since launch.  Every error (and there are many and they are very major errors too), is still there despite there being thousands of people reporting the errors in the interim.  Not one single error has been fixed so far as I can see. 

I refuse to use Apple maps. I was traveling in Oregon to find a town and Apple Maps was off by 15 miles!

 

I was at the Washington Department of Licensing near Seattle and I searched "DOL" and it gave me some place in Anacortes, about 2 hours away. Inside the DOL I typed Department of Licensing and it gave me the DOL in a town 75 miles away from me.

 

Google Maps was spot on.

 

Apple: Please let us set default apps on our iPhones. I want all my searches and links to bring up Google Maps and Chrome. I want to hit a link in mail and bring up Crome. Not Safari. Same for maps. How can I delete Apple Maps and have Google as my default.

 

So now Apple is hiring map people? Google left them in the dust a long time ago. 

post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I refuse to use Apple maps. I was traveling in Oregon to find a town and Apple Maps was off by 15 miles!

Every time I travel to Oregon I die of dysentery.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #24 of 47
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Google left them in the dust a long time ago. 

 

Apple didn't have maps until last year. GOOGLE MUST HAVE LEFT THEM IN THE DUST LONG AGO, HUH. Or maybe that's not an applicable phrase to use.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) I'd love for Apple to announce a maps.apple.com site that anyone with a modern browser can use. I understand not building for the rest of the world when HW is your product but with mapping I think we all are better off if we can use it from Macs (or whatever other OS with a modern browser).

 

Boom!

 

Apple Maps in the browser is the equivalent of iTunes on the PC!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Vector, highest-quality textures and modeling, and with all the amenities of any other platform, plus OS-level integration with just about anything you can imagine.

 

If you think Apple Maps is bad, try Bing for a while.

 

I like that. I'm going to have to use that…

 

 

Actually, I prefer Bing over Google's Maps. Bing uses data supplied by Nokia. Nokia's data might even be more accurate than Google's. It has been collecting the data longer, and it has access to the daily collected map data from UPS. 

post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

How can I delete Apple Maps and have Google as my default. 

 

 

Buy an Android phone. 

 

Honestly, for every anti-Apple mapping story you give me, I can give you ten for Google. I can't tell you how many times Google's mapping data told me to turn a left when I was supposed to turn a right. Once it took me twenty minutes out of the way and I was late for a job interview. Most recently I downloaded the Google Maps App to give it a second chance and to see if the hype lived up to reality. In the half hour test it failed miserably. First, it wasn't easy to figure out how to even start directions after doing a search from within the App. Second, it was horrible at auto correcting on the fly. Third, it forgot to tell me to get off the highway. My girlfriend had Apple's Map app going at the same time for comparison purposes. Apple's Map didn't have any problems. I also live very close to Google's Ann Arbor Michigan facility. 

post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There is an easy test. Start with Apple maps. If it doesn't work, or if it can't find what you are searching for then switch to Google maps and see if you have better luck there. If you do and this turns out to become a daily pattern, you have proof that for you, Apple maps is far less useful than Google Maps. It's the only metric that really counts.

No, that would be an insanely stupid test.

If both platforms are 99% accurate and the errors are random, that would simply let you use Apple until the error occurred and then it would be unlikely that Google had the same error. Thus, it would look like Google was perfect and Apple Maps always failed - even if the two were equivalent.

Starting with Google Maps until it failed and then switching to Apple Maps would be equally bad.

And that doesn't even get into the issue of whether your own experience is representative of the population as a whole.

Try again.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Best mapping platform? Google maps is vastly better as even Tim Cook knows. I won't be having anything to do with it until it has street view and can find addresses, any address, where I live. This won't happen for at least 10 years.

 

Well actually, "best mapping program on any mobile platform." And yes, it is the first and the best real mapping app. The POI/data flaws can be blamed on the backend service. 

 

If you've ever used Google's own Maps App (for Android or iOS), you couldn't honestly say it was even half as good as Apple's own app, outside of a few server areas where Google is clearly better (primarily related to search). Nokia's iOS app is much worse; their native WiMo app might be competitive. Apple's app has always been much better, even before it came out with its own mapping service.

 

If you compare the overall features and data service, you can argue that you prefer one over the other, but on an app basis, Apple's is clearly better.

post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


No, that would be an insanely stupid test.

If both platforms are 99% accurate and the errors are random, that would simply let you use Apple until the error occurred and then it would be unlikely that Google had the same error. Thus, it would look like Google was perfect and Apple Maps always failed - even if the two were equivalent.

Starting with Google Maps until it failed and then switching to Apple Maps would be equally bad.

And that doesn't even get into the issue of whether your own experience is representative of the population as a whole.

Try again.

 

Exactly. It would be shocking if both platforms had errors in the exact same locations.

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

How is that even remotely relevant?  Apple is trying to compete with the mapping services that are currently out there, not ones that existed in 2007.  

 

The point is that this is a 1.0 service rebuilt from the ground up and no service at that point in its life is perfect. And folks need to get over thinking that just because its Apple is is somehow legally or morally required to be perfect. Particularly since, as Tim Cook pointed out, no one cut off access to dozens of other choices for information. Choices which include services that even with an almost 10 year head start are still far from perfect

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I refuse to use Apple maps. I was traveling in Oregon to find a town and Apple Maps was off by 15 miles!

Every time I travel to Oregon I die of dysentery.

 

Actually, the maps in Oregon are off about 50 Miles to the left!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #33 of 47
Am i the only one who laughed when they saw AppleBitch?
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


No, that would be an insanely stupid test.

If both platforms are 99% accurate and the errors are random, that would simply let you use Apple until the error occurred and then it would be unlikely that Google had the same error. Thus, it would look like Google was perfect and Apple Maps always failed - even if the two were equivalent.

Starting with Google Maps until it failed and then switching to Apple Maps would be equally bad.

And that doesn't even get into the issue of whether your own experience is representative of the population as a whole.

Try again.

 

What kind of empirical test do you want? We could set up a website where everybody outside America in every large non-American city, or large town, or medium town, or village, or countryside posts the mistakes that Apple Maps makes compared to Google Maps, and vice versa ( if any). This would prove that x>y.

 

Without that immersive effort to impress a "random guy on the internet called Jragosta" I don't think you are going to accept any data you don't want to accept. In the real world I live in a river is flowing through my parents house, my apartment doesn't exist, and there are no shops within a walking distance according to Apple Maps. In reality my parents are home dry, I don't sleep on the ground, and I cross the street to a supermarket.

 

The plural of (one) anecdote is not data. Lots of anecdotes - effectively a number of datum points - is data.

 

on the other side, the rendering and software is awesome, and works like a charm offline. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

What kind of empirical test do you want? We could set up a website where everybody outside America in every large non-American city, or large town, or medium town, or village, or countryside posts the mistakes that Apple Maps makes compared to Google Maps, and vice versa ( if any). This would prove that x>y.

Without that immersive effort to impress a "random guy on the internet called Jragosta" I don't think you are going to accept any data you don't want to accept. In the real world I live in a river is flowing through my parents house, my apartment doesn't exist, and there are no shops within a walking distance according to Apple Maps. In reality my parents are home dry, I don't sleep on the ground, and I cross the street to a supermarket.

The plural of (one) anecdote is not data. Lots of anecdotes - effectively a number of datum points - is data.

on the other side, the rendering and software is awesome, and works like a charm offline. 

Who says I won't accept any data? I just won't accept silly anecdotes.

It's not up to me to prove that Apple Maps is good - since I've never made the claim that it's better than Google Maps. I've simply questioned all the people who claim that it stinks. If they're going to claim that it stinks, they need to provide data - or else it's just their word. We've already seen this phenomenon over and over every time someone identifies a potential problem with an Apple product. 5 people have a problem and the media turns that into the end of the world.

Lots of anecdotes are still irrelevant - unless you do several things:
1. You must make a comparison. It's funny how all the people complaining about Apple Maps bring up every case they can find where Apple Maps fails but never bring up all the cases where Google Maps fails. It's not a secret that Apple Maps fails sometimes. It's also not a secret that Google Maps fails sometimes. And Nokia Maps. And Garmin. Simply pointing out a few Apple Maps failures is pointless. Even if it was 99.99999% accurate, there would still be lots of failures.

2. The sample must be representative of the population as a whole. If I chose China as an example, Google Maps fails 100% of the time while Apple Maps does not. That makes Apple Maps infinitely better - and China is considerably larger than your neighborhood. Cherry picking locations doesn't do any good.

There have been a few attempts to do some broad based comparisons and Apple Maps looks comparable to Google Maps or better in most cases. It's really not that hard to do. Choose 10,000 locations at random from an address database and see if the two mapping programs give the correct location. So far, no one has done that.

If you're going to complain that Apple Maps stinks, it's up to you to provide some evidence to support your contention - and your anecdotes aren't evidence. Even a lot of anecdotes aren't evidence until you've met the requirements above.

BTW, for some examples, look up 'google map failures' and you'll get almost 4 million hits ('Apple map failures' gets only about 1/4 as many). So stop pretending that there aren't failures with Google Maps.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #36 of 47
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
BTW, for some examples, look up 'google map failures' and you'll get almost 4 million hits ('Apple map failures' gets only about 1/4 as many). So stop pretending that there aren't failures with Google Maps.

 

He then went on to suggest numerous alternatives, which were - at the time ( and now, since little has been done) - clearly better. Or else why bother.

 

Apple reacted to this quite differently to the (largely fake) attenna gate incident, because this was a real issue. Suggesting someone else's software is an admission that yours is not as good.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Who says I won't accept any data? I just won't accept silly anecdotes.

It's not up to me to prove that Apple Maps is good - since I've never made the claim that it's better than Google Maps. I've simply questioned all the people who claim that it stinks. If they're going to claim that it stinks, they need to provide data - or else it's just their word. We've already seen this phenomenon over and over every time someone identifies a potential problem with an Apple product. 5 people have a problem and the media turns that into the end of the world.

Lots of anecdotes are still irrelevant - unless you do several things:
1. You must make a comparison. It's funny how all the people complaining about Apple Maps bring up every case they can find where Apple Maps fails but never bring up all the cases where Google Maps fails. It's not a secret that Apple Maps fails sometimes. It's also not a secret that Google Maps fails sometimes. And Nokia Maps. And Garmin. Simply pointing out a few Apple Maps failures is pointless. Even if it was 99.99999% accurate, there would still be lots of failures.[/quo


2. The sample must be representative of the population as a whole. If I chose China as an example, Google Maps fails 100% of the time while Apple Maps does not. That makes Apple Maps infinitely better - and China is considerably larger than your neighborhood. Cherry picking locations doesn't do any good.

There have been a few attempts to do some broad based comparisons and Apple Maps looks comparable to Google Maps or better in most cases. It's really not that hard to do. Choose 10,000 locations at random from an address database and see if the two mapping programs give the correct location. So far, no one has done that.

If you're going to complain that Apple Maps stinks, it's up to you to provide some evidence to support your contention - and your anecdotes aren't evidence. Even a lot of anecdotes aren't evidence until you've met the requirements above.

BTW, for some examples, look up 'google map failures' and you'll get almost 4 million hits ('Apple map failures' gets only about 1/4 as many). So stop pretending that there aren't failures with Google Maps.

 

1) It isn't that funny. I rarely find that Google Maps fails, and Apple Maps fails epically.

2) You seem to "know" about China what you won't accept about Europe. Apple is definitely better in China and there are no equivocations. Google can't be considered better in Europe because thats all anecdotal.

 

As for the 10,000 data points, I obviously can't do that. If I could look at 10,000 randomly chosen spots on Google Maps and then on Apple Maps, and tell which is accurate,  I would be earning a million a year at either company as the Great Map Memory guy. I had previously suggested a website where people posted their impressions, but suggested that I didn't think I would expend the effort to impress "random guy called Jragosta" on the internet. At any rate, you would certainly dismiss this as a "lot of anecdotal evidence" ( I quote), as people complaining about Apple Maps are telling anecdotes, but people complaining about google maps are providing data ( on that note you get more search results for Google Maps failures because it is on all desktops, tablets and devices). 

 

Lets agree this; every person dis-satisfied with Apple Maps is an iPhone user. Not "fan boys" but fans, consumers. They can't all be google shrills. There must be some truth to this, conspiracies be-damned.

 

Lastly,  I don't feel I have to "stop pretending that there aren't failures with Google Maps." since I never did pretend anything about Goggle Maps. I didn't mention Google maps in my posts. Thats a straw man you want to fight but do so on your own.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #38 of 47

Apple Maps may be the best mapping app on a mobile, just as the Space Shuttle is the fastest reusable vehicle, but without largely accurate and reliable data,  Apple Maps on the phone is as functional and ornamental as a Space Shuttle sitting without fuel in a museum.

 

Living in London UK, it is deeply disappointing that several months on, Apple hasn't even bothered to correct the glaring mistake of placing the current University College Hospital, with its Accident and Emergency department, in the centre of the University College London campus.

 

This is despite the fact that:

a) it is correctly shown on the web map used for the Find My iPhone service for iCloud

a) there has never been a hospital facility at the labelled site or address.

b) the current hospital has been at its site for the past five years.

c) Apple itself has in the past given demonstrations of there equipment at the University itself, so even the staff at Apple UK should know this is clearly mislabelled.

 

It is just one of numerous inaccuracies within the Apple Map.

I would have thought correcting a relatively simple error featuring a hospital with emergency services would be a high priority.

 

It seems the staff at Apple UK and the numerous Apple Stores within London, two of which are within 20min drive of said error, have at best, no influence upon Apple HQ, or at worst, no interest, in correcting these errors.

 

As it stands for travelling in London, yes, Apple Maps is pretty to look at and usable if you wish to go from one road to another;

 

Anybody who wishes to travel in London from one location to another accurately is better off using Google Maps or other alternatives.

post #39 of 47

A question to all those denying that Apple Maps has a problem with reliable data:

 

Why, at least for London, is the map used for iCloud's Find My iPhone web page much more accurate than the one for iOS?

post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

1) It isn't that funny. I rarely find that Google Maps fails, and Apple Maps fails epically.
2) You seem to "know" about China what you won't accept about Europe. Apple is definitely better in China and there are no equivocations. Google can't be considered better in Europe because thats all anecdotal.

Not at all.

They both provide mapping services in Europe, so if you think one is worse, you need to provide evidence.

In China, Google doesn't provide mapping services at all, so Apple's Maps is clearly better:
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/02/02/China-considers-Google-Maps-request/UPI-56811328221971/
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

As for the 10,000 data points, I obviously can't do that. If I could look at 10,000 randomly chosen spots on Google Maps and then on Apple Maps, and tell which is accurate,  I would be earning a million a year at either company as the Great Map Memory guy. I had previously suggested a website where people posted their impressions, but suggested that I didn't think I would expend the effort to impress "random guy called Jragosta" on the internet. At any rate, you would certainly dismiss this as a "lot of anecdotal evidence" ( I quote), as people complaining about Apple Maps are telling anecdotes, but people complaining about google maps are providing data ( on that note you get more search results for Google Maps failures because it is on all desktops, tablets and devices). 

IOW, you don't have any facts to back your claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Lets agree this; every person dis-satisfied with Apple Maps is an iPhone user. Not "fan boys" but fans, consumers. They can't all be google shrills. There must be some truth to this, conspiracies be-damned.

Wrong. Some of the people whining about Apple Maps don't even own iDevices. Your claim that every complaint comes from iPhone users is clearly false - just like the rest of your claims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Lastly,  I don't feel I have to "stop pretending that there aren't failures with Google Maps." since I never did pretend anything about Goggle Maps. I didn't mention Google maps in my posts. Thats a straw man you want to fight but do so on your own.

You keep claiming that Apple Maps is terrible. That begs the question - terrible compared to what?

We're back to your making unfounded claims without evidence and without even considering whether they're better than the alternatives or not. If you claim you're not even considering Google Maps, then your claims are even more ridiculous.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Apple job listings point to iOS Maps improvements