or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Review roundup: Microsoft's Surface Pro is about compromises
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review roundup: Microsoft's Surface Pro is about compromises - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Wow. You managed to cram a lot of errors into one post. Let's highlight a few of them:

- battery life. The MBA has 5-7 hours of battery life compared to 4 for the Surface.

Under which assumptions? Playing Civ 5 or EVE gets it down to 1h to 1.5h, not nearly 7h. Watching Flash videos gives me 2.5hours on average. Using Pages gives me close to 5, with standard lighting. I only get 7 hours if running pretty much nothing, with screen at minimal power, and backlit keyboard/wifi turned off, such as on USB'ed-ethernet (which is anyway a good case for being plugged in power).

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #82 of 91

http://www.zdnet.com/surface-pro-versus-macbook-air-whos-being-dishonest-with-storage-space-7000011009/

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #83 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Under which assumptions? Playing Civ 5 or EVE gets it down to 1h to 1.5h, not nearly 7h. Watching Flash videos gives me 2.5hours on average. Using Pages gives me close to 5, with standard lighting. I only get 7 hours if running pretty much nothing, with screen at minimal power, and backlit keyboard/wifi turned off, such as on USB'ed-ethernet (which is anyway a good case for being plugged in power).

 

I never get apples advertised life out of any of my apple devices.  Nor any of hte non-apple devices.  Everything is taken with a huge grain o salt.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #84 of 91

Is there a point that hasn't already been stated before and more accurately without the BS Ed is spinning on a kernel of truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I never get apples advertised life out of any of my apple devices.  Nor any of hte non-apple devices.  Everything is taken with a huge grain o salt.

You not getting the advertised battery life doesn't mean that their testing is bad or dishonest that you should take it with a grain of salt. Apple is very clear in how they test battery life and if read AnandTech you'd see that they are honest and have e very fair method for testing compared to other vendors that will use the best possible time for adverting their up-to times.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/7/13 at 3:40pm

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #85 of 91
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post
I never get apples advertised life out of any of my apple devices.  Nor any of hte non-apple devices.  Everything is taken with a huge grain o salt.


Really? All of my devices have always received greater than the advertised lifespan. 

 

My MacBook Pro's battery consistently gave me over four hours of life, regardless of what I was doing (sounds pathetic, but it's a pre-unibody model, so that's big). Now, it died earlier than expected (and Apple replaced it for free because of that), but it gave me more than they claimed.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #86 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Really? All of my devices have always received greater than the advertised lifespan. 

 

My MacBook Pro's battery consistently gave me over four hours of life, regardless of what I was doing (sounds pathetic, but it's a pre-unibody model, so that's big). Now, it died earlier than expected (and Apple replaced it for free because of that), but it gave me more than they claimed.

 

You are lucky.  My macbook (white unibody), iphone4s (and 4) ipad (2), have never seen to run as well as even anandtech tests, or apples claims.  My wifes phone nad ipad are pretty similar.  The ipad mini seems ok, the kids ipod touches get charged at least once a day, usually more.  Everything was worse on ios6 or 6.01.  Cant say that 6.1 is any better, havent paid any attention.  My phone has been off the charger for 9hours and is sitting at 58% with little use.  My PC gets less than its advertised duration as well.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #87 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Is there a point that hasn't already been stated before and more accurately without the BS Ed is spinning on a kernel of truth?
 

 

Just providing some claficiation for some of the claims made on this forum.  Can you describe the BS the edd is spinning?  you know, clarify the exact components that you beleive are not truth.

 

 

Quote:

You not getting the advertised battery life doesn't mean that their testing is bad or dishonest that you should take it with a grain of salt. Apple is very clear in how they test battery life and if read AnandTech you'd see that they are honest and have e very fair method for testing compared to other vendors that will use the best possible time for adverting their up-to times.

Why must you defend everything about apple, even when the comment is not an attack but a statement about my experinece with multiple apple products?

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #88 of 91
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Why must you defend everything about apple, even when the comment is not an attack but a statement about my experinece with multiple apple products?

 

Your claim put you on the offensive. It's only fair that Apple get additional defense since you seem to be ignoring their own.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #89 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Your claim put you on the offensive. It's only fair that Apple get additional defense since you seem to be ignoring their own.

 

 

Could you please explain where I ignore their comments?

 

Was it where I said "I never get" or maybe where I said "My <apple devices>"  

 

 

Is posting my experiences with Apple devices only allowed if its highlighting the stunningly amazing ability of it?

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #90 of 91
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post
Was it where I said "I never get" or maybe where I said "My <apple devices>"  

 

Is posting my experiences with Apple devices only allowed if its highlighting the stunningly amazing ability of it?

 

No, but in providing our own, we're saying that the salt gets thrown over both shoulders. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #91 of 91

Thinking that one device can give you the casual intimacy of an iPad for web browsing, and the fine control and ease of typing of a desktop or laptop may be asking too much from a single device. Apple's genius with iOS was to realize that a touch device is inherently different than a PC.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Review roundup: Microsoft's Surface Pro is about compromises