or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Australia's Treasury Department switches from BlackBerry to iPhone

Australia's Treasury Department switches from BlackBerry to iPhone

post #1 of 47
In yet another blow to BlackBerry, the Australian Treasury Department has opted to switch away from the platform in favor of Apple's iPhone and iOS, with the transition expected to be completed within the next month and a half.

unboxed-120921.jpg

The Treasury will replace 250 BlackBerry devices with new iPhone 5s, reports ZDNet Australia, and is also planning to roll out an as-yet-undisclosed number of iPads to staff, ministers' offices and other agencies run by the department.

According to chief information officer Peter Alexander, the decision to switch came after the Defence Signals Directorate, Australia's signals intelligence agency, certified Apple's iOS for government applications. Alexander said the new devices would be controlled by device management platform AirWatch.

When asked about BlackBerry's announcement of BB10 and two new handsets, the Z10 and Q10, Alexander was unsure if the company would be able to make a comeback.

"BlackBerry has pretty limited capability," he said. "With the new one being launched, it's almost too late. Maybe it'll catch up, maybe it won't."

As for Android, the DSD has yet to certify a single device running Google's mobile operating system.

"In the coldest and cruelest way to look at it, there was no decision for us, really," Alexander said. "We looked at it in terms of usability and functionality, Android phones are perfectly adequate [?] but it was really a decision we didn't have much option in."

The Australian Treasury Department is the latest government body to make the leap to iOS. In Apple's quarterly conference call for the first quarter of 2013, Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer said a number of U.S. agencies are issuing iPhones "by the thousands," including NASA, NOAA, Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, and the Transportation and Security Administration.
post #2 of 47
Smart move
post #3 of 47
post #4 of 47
In order for these deployments, Apple has to have worked out the backend services to meet government requirements. Let's hope we see a push for those enterprise quality services to trickle down to the consumer level.
post #5 of 47
Some folks say Apple should run the country, screw that. They are after the world.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #6 of 47
Blackberry who?
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
"In the coldest and cruelest way to look at it, there was no decision for us, really," Alexander said. "We looked at it in terms of usability and functionality, Android phones are perfectly adequate ..." - said no one with a clue.

Android being the malware-infested/fragmented beast it is, any company that chooses Android in its current iteration is simply someone that truly has no clue or business being in the position they are in.  Probably some fandroid techie manager that hates a polished, packaged solution.

Heck, I'd choose iOS/Win8/Blackberry in that order before I allow Android a single step in the enterprise arena.

post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro2ma View Post

But the new Blackberry Z10 is off to a record setting start!

http://allthingsd.com/20130206/blackberry-z10-jumps-off-to-a-record-setting-start-in-canada-and-u-k/?mod=tweet

You forgot to add that the 'record' is relative to previous Blackberry releases. Yippee.

post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You forgot to add that the 'record' is relative to previous Blackberry releases. Yippee.

True, but BB did have some pretty big releases back in the day. If they can match those numbers they are doing well
post #10 of 47
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

True, but BB did have some pretty big releases back in the day. If they can match those numbers they are doing well[/quote
They didn't, the record is based on the fact that retailers ran out of units but the end of day one, but it doesn't include how many units each store had in stock, so in other words, no record broken
post #11 of 47
Quote:

http://allthingsd.com/20130206/blackberry-z10-jumps-off-to-a-record-setting-start-in-canada-and-u-k/?mod=tweet

I would hope so. The smartphone market is nearly 50 times greater than their previous sales record.
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

In order for these deployments, Apple has to have worked out the backend services to meet government requirements. Let's hope we see a push for those enterprise quality services to trickle down to the consumer level.

What do you mean by this? Why can't agencies develop and use their own backend services? Any institution (and developer) is free to deploy their own apps without going through the AppStore.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #13 of 47
Quote:

I don't go by what All Things Digital have to say.  I find their articles to be lacking.  I almost don't even read their articles anymore.  I don't have much faith in their journalism.  to me, they are about the same level as The Star.

post #14 of 47

Psssst...don't use iOS Maps or else you'll find yourself 40km away from your intended destination.....without food, water or fuel. 1rolleyes.gif

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #15 of 47
I guess that their iPhone's iOS have to be custom made with strong security settings in place.
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Psssst...don't use iOS Maps or else you'll find yourself 40km away from your intended destination.....without food, water or fuel. 1rolleyes.gif

This is a really cheep remark. Since I have the new map application I never had any problem with it in Australia! Discprinter, pull yourself together and admit you are using anecdotal evidences!
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

What do you mean by this? Why can't agencies develop and use their own backend services? Any institution (and developer) is free to deploy their own apps without going through the AppStore.

I'm talking from the perspective an ex-NeXT/ex-Apple engineer when we had contracts with the CIA, FBI and other departments, to Wall Street firms and we built custom kernels and addons for NeXTStep/Openstep and OS X.

I would think custom lock down features for the iOS rolled out by NASA or the NSA would be images you and I will not have clearance to use, but will be jointly developed per their requirements packages and thus jointly held IP. It would be nice with the heavy security credentials Apple has amassed in staffing that some of these designs move out of the theoretical computing research department and make it into iCloud, other distributed services and the client side.

post #18 of 47

Glad I'm apple.

post #19 of 47
Quote:

What record setting? You link to an article that states: "The company declined to provide any hard sales numbers."

Nice pic over there though
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #20 of 47

Does the government really need to be buying iPhone 5s for their staff? Surely an iPhone 4 or 4S would suffice.

post #21 of 47
The iPhone is still officially referred to as "that smartphone who shall not be named" at Blackberry's corporate HQ.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 47
I hope they meant this article to be symbolic of BB's loss, cause losing 250 BB carrying officials doesn't even seem newsworthy to me.
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What record setting? You link to an article that states: "The company declined to provide any hard sales numbers."

Nice pic over there though

Records that the media can manipulate any which way they want.
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I hope they meant this article to be symbolic of BB's loss, cause losing 250 BB carrying officials doesn't even seem newsworthy to me.

LOL, Just imagine the Impact on Apples market share this is going to have.

post #25 of 47
Quote:

Android had the same issues there just less press. Well almost no press. Were you all up at arms when Google maps on the origin IPhone was far worse than the stand alone units?
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Quote:

LOL, Just imagine the Impact on Apples market share this is going to have.

AI is amazing: An order involving 250 devices is regarded as news ? Next week you'll be reporting on each individual purchaser and acting like it means anything.

post #27 of 47
Quote:

Now you all be nice to Dick. Remember he's caught in a two-dimensional job. No, I don't mean he got his, er, finger stuck in the press.
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Some folks say Apple should run the country, screw that. They are after the world.
post #29 of 47
I'd be more worried about Google... Their search engine is the world leader in monitoring everything we do and using the information to direct market and now with the Android OS they also dominate the mobile realm. In actuality, Apple is the least of our problems. They are a hardware tech company that make closed systems with high security and therefore become attractive to governmental departments. Google on the other hand has no limitations. They are everything and everywhere, masquerading under the guise "the people's open source product," instead, they are actually a modernized door-to-door salesman, hell-bent on playing the underdog as they slowly take over the World Wide Web.
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Does the government really need to be buying iPhone 5s for their staff? Surely an iPhone 4 or 4S would suffice.

The iPhone 5 probably has at least an extra year of upgrades and operational life over the 4S, and two over the 4.  Maybe they thought the extra cost was worth that?

censored

censored

post #31 of 47
Quote:

Even if this is true (although notice that they cherry picked a couple of countries rather than talking about global figures - or even the largest markets), it doesn't tell us a lot:

1. The market has grown many fold since their last record release.

2. Their customers tend to be very loyal and locked in to the BB ecosystem. They've had to wait years since the last release. It's not surprising that there's pent up demand. If I had to use a 3 year old handset, I'd be ready to upgrade, too.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #32 of 47
What's an iPhone 5s?
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

What's an iPhone 5s?

The plural of "iPhone 5".
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #34 of 47
Jhupet Anec View Post

Glad I'm apple.

In that case, I have some questions about the next Macbook Pro release.

Taniwha View Post

AI is amazing: An order involving 250 devices is regarded as news ? Next week you'll be reporting on each individual purchaser and acting like it means anything.

And yet here we are.

But seriously, a government agency making the official switch is a bigger deal than 250 random people.

josephwinters View Post
What's an iPhone 5s?

The quick way to write 'iPhone Fives'

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #35 of 47
Quote:

Yeah, from sucks, to sucks less

post #36 of 47
Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Australia's Treasury Department sounds like a big deal until you get to the 250 part.  This "blow" to BB is more like sensationalist linkbait.  I want to know when an organization of thousands decides to abandon BB after the Z10 announcement.

post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazol View Post

This is a really cheep remark. Since I have the new map application I never had any problem with it in Australia! Discprinter, pull yourself together and admit you are using anecdotal evidences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Android had the same issues there just less press. Well almost no press. Were you all up at arms when Google maps on the origin IPhone was far worse than the stand alone units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Now you all be nice to Dick. Remember he's caught in a two-dimensional job. No, I don't mean he got his, er, finger stuck in the press.

WOW, guys. Did you not notice the rolling eyes? I personally thought the whole Australian iOS Maps issue was silly. I am pro Apple to the core, next time I'll be sure to use /s so everyone is sure that I'm using sarcasm.

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

I think the point was that it has been approved for government use, so this is potentially the first of many such orders. And it illustrates that governments are warming up to Apple after being so negative for so many years, which *is* actually news to us long term Apple followers. But yes, I'm sure the US Treasury has 250 janitors, let alone staff!

post #39 of 47
Hope they realize that staff can "jailbreak" Iphones to hack the operating system.

The new BB10 OS with QNX is a superior choice since the Z10 and Q10 (coming) offer superior security and offer work mode and personsal mode of operation for the user. IT can remotely wipe all sensitive info from the users device if need be while not affecting their personal content.

I think they made a poor decision switching from BlackBerry as time will soon show.
post #40 of 47
Originally Posted by Long BB View Post
Hope they realize that staff can "jailbreak" Iphones to hack the operating system.

Your point being what?

The new BB10 OS with QNX is a superior choice since the Z10 and Q10 (coming) offer superior security and offer work mode and personsal mode of operation for the user.

Disclaimer: you basically work for RIM, right?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Australia's Treasury Department switches from BlackBerry to iPhone