or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wozniak: Apple now 'somewhat behind' in smartphone features
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wozniak: Apple now 'somewhat behind' in smartphone features - Page 4

post #121 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

I just don't understand why thinks his opinion matters? He's been out of the company for YEARS. Let it go! haha

 

He's certainly been out of active participation in the company long enough that 'we' should got be in his vocabulary 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #122 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Actionable notifications, quick toggles for settings, choice of default app for a given action, widgets, NFC, sharing from one app to any other app that can share, drag and drop files over USB, etc.

 

Much of which are things that appeal only to the geeky minority. Thus why they haven't been added at this point.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #123 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

I'm over these inept comments from Woz. What has he done in the past 20 years? He's never designed a phone. He's never designed a GUI. He's just another consumer. Who cares?

 

Blogs and sites whoring for hits.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #124 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

It is embarrassing reading how people here disrespect the man who is responsible for some of the greatest advances in computing. Further, he is, unlike Jobs, a genuinely decent person. Woz is telling Apple truths that they desperately need to hear from a broad customer perspective. Blindly dissing him is juvenile.

 

So what if somebody is a decent person, and what does that mean anyway? Is a "decent" person immune from criticism? Hell no.

 

There are plenty of decent people around. The world needs more Steve Jobs like people, decent people are a dime a dozen and quite frankly, decent people are boring. I do not strive to be a decent person. 

 

And a decent person wouldn't go around in public and criticize the company that they were once a part of, saying all sorts of insane nonsense such as Steve Jobs being reincarnated at Microsoft because of their horrible Surface tablet. That is just crazy talk and it doesn't matter whose mouth it came out of.

 

Apple should announce that Woz will no longer receive any checks, as a matter of principle. 

post #125 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

No. I won't. NFC, which no one supports is a security nightmare. I'll pass.

Widgets are so bad that even MS dropped them from windows where you had the screen real estate to use them.

Malware grows by leaps and bounds on Android is a a real issue and is going to get bigger.

If you don't consider general smoothness a fundamental requirement, we are too far apart that too agree anytime soon.

Nexus. In other words, there is only one choice. Ask Google Nexus one people how quickly they get supported. Apple is unmatched. Should I get the new Nexus, the one without LTE. Why would I do that?

Some people sell their phones to buy new ones. In many cases, that covers the upgrade. Just because you don't use it doesn't make it unimportant.

Please tell me where this malware comes from?  Can you give me a single source?  It's not on the Play Store or the Amazon App Store.  And if you're running 4.2 it's not coming from any other app installation because Google now scans every app you install if it comes from some place besides the Play Store.

 

Smoothness is a great aspect of iOS, but it's not the most critical part of an operating system for me.  For me there's a threshold of "smooth enough" that Android currently meets.  That's not to say it's as smooth as iOS.  It isn't.

 

Nexus is the only current choice for guaranteed updates.  I have a two Nexuses (Nexi?) and they get the updates OTA within two days of the update going live.  The only difference between iPhone updates and Nexus updates is that an iPhone user can pull them whereas a Nexus has to wait for them to be pushed.  I think that getting an update within days (and possibly immediately) of it going live is more than acceptable.

 

No I don't think you should get a Nexus if it doesn't meet your needs.  I don't have a Nexus 4 because I'm a Verizon subscriber.

 

In America most people don't sell their smartphones to upgrade because they're usually on a two year contract with a discounted upgrade price.  Not everyone waits for the upgrade, but many do.

post #126 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


That's from IG itself not the gallery. Unless the pics in your gallery have a likes counter.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


No. Nowhere does it show the gallery. It doesn't prove your point.

 

The picture is the first screenshot, which was the first picture in my camera roll.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #127 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Please tell me where this malware comes from?  Can you give me a single source?  It's not on the Play Store or the Amazon App Store.  And if you're running 4.2 it's not coming from any other app installation because Google now scans every app you install if it comes from some place besides the Play Store.

Smoothness is a great aspect of iOS, but it's not the most critical part of an operating system for me.  For me there's a threshold of "smooth enough" that Android currently meets.  That's not to say it's as smooth as iOS.  It isn't.

Nexus is the only current choice for guaranteed updates.  I have a two Nexuses (Nexi?) and they get the updates OTA within two days of the update going live.  The only difference between iPhone updates and Nexus updates is that an iPhone user can pull them whereas a Nexus has to wait for them to be pushed.  I think that getting an update within days (and possibly immediately) of it going live is more than acceptable.

No I don't think you should get a Nexus if it doesn't meet your needs.  I don't have a Nexus 4 because I'm a Verizon subscriber.

In America most people don't sell their smartphones to upgrade because they're usually on a two year contract with a discounted upgrade price.  Not everyone waits for the upgrade, but many do.

The OP just knows malware exists because he read it on the internet.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #128 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

 

Your opinion on "behind" seems to boil down to Android does some things differently or includes features of questionable value (NFC). I assume from your opinion you prefer the Android way. It's like saying the iPhone is "behind" because it does not have a 5" screen. If you do want a 5" screen, then Apple is certainly "behind" in that sense.

 

They aren't behind because they don't offer a 5" screen. They're behind because they don't offer any real choice of screen size. If you want the current model it's 4", take it or leave it. If you're looking at an older model the only choice is 3.5" in a body that's almost as big and actually heavier than the 4" one.

 

But Android's wealth of choice is a bit of a mirage. Unless you want a phone that's 4.7" or larger there's really nothing but old models and intentionally crippled devices available. Sure there are dozens of them, but most aren't really comparable to the latest iPhone, Windows Phone 8 or even BlackBerry 10 device.

 

The real advantage of the plethora of small-mid sized Android phones is their low price. They're "good enough" and cheap enough to replace a feature phone.

 

People who frequent boards like this buy Nexus devices or root their phones to install custom ROMs, but the general public doesn't. Most will be stuck with the OS their phone originally shipped with. According to statistics at Google Play fewer than 2% of Android users have Jelly Bean. More than 50% of Android visitors to Google Play in the 2 week period ending Feb. 4 were still using Gingerbread, Froyo or something even older than that.

 

I would even reject the argument that new phone purchasers are comparing Android 4.2 to iOS 6.1. Most Android phones available today are shipping with 4.0 and are unlikely to ever get past 4.1 if they even get off 4.0 in the first place. iPhones ship with 6.1 and will be able to run iOS 7 later this year and eventually iOS 8.

 

The biggest flaw with Android, in my mind, is that it was developed by an advertising agency for the purpose of collecting and selling user data.

post #129 of 176
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post
It is embarrassing reading how people here disrespect the man who is responsible for some of the greatest advances in computing.

 

One of. Not to diminish its worth, but one of.


 Further, he is, unlike Jobs, a genuinely decent person.

 

I won't pull the "really, insulting a dead person?" card, but I will pull the "you don't have a flipping clue what you're on about" card.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #130 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

It is embarrassing reading how people here disrespect the man who is responsible for some of the greatest advances in computing. Further, he is, unlike Jobs, a genuinely decent person. Woz is telling Apple truths that they desperately need to hear from a broad customer perspective. Blindly dissing him is juvenile.

While many folks are harsh and rude, and while Woz is a hero and did some great work and has been a good to his friends, he and his opinion has been pretty much  irrelevant for about 20 years. And when it gets past technology to ideas on what makes a good product, a good user experience, or a good design or business plan, . . . his opinion has *never* been insightful or informative.

 

I'm not trying to trash him, I just see this as objectively true. When he's commenting on technology generally, (Apple or not) perhaps he may have some insight. When he start to comment on application of technology, products, users, business, strategy, he's ill equipped and out of his depth.

post #131 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One of. Not to diminish its worth, but one of.

I won't pull the "really, insulting a dead person?" card, but I will pull the "you don't have a flipping clue what you're on about" card.

Off topic, but congrats on becoming a admin. I just noticed it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #132 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


No. Nowhere does it show the gallery. It doesn't prove your point.

 

The picture is the first screenshot, which was the first picture in my camera roll.

 

 

 

Screenshot of a Photo roll full of screenshots showing I can select any picture from my not the "gallery"* I want and open it in Instagram.

 

*"Gallery" is probably patented by someone.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #133 of 176
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Off topic, but congrats on becoming a admin. I just noticed it.


Hopefully people are noticing less spam getting through, as I've been able to tweak settings that I otherwise couldn't. And the return of giving out user titles is nice! Maybe thread-visible avatars, too. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #134 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

It is embarrassing reading how people here disrespect the man who is responsible for some of the greatest advances in computing. Further, he is, unlike Jobs, a genuinely decent person. Woz is telling Apple truths that they desperately need to hear from a broad customer perspective. Blindly dissing him is juvenile.

 

Bleating out the latest meme espoused by thousands of touts, spivs and their misguided fans all over the Internet, more like.

 

If Wozniak gave some specific examples and explained exactly why iOS is "somewhat behind", then his "truths" might have some credibility.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #135 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Please tell me where this malware comes from?  Can you give me a single source?  It's not on the Play Store or the Amazon App Store.  And if you're running 4.2 it's not coming from any other app installation because Google now scans every app you install if it comes from some place besides the Play Store.

 

The malware comes with the phone . . . It's called "Android."

 

I'm sure this writer and his sources cannot be correct. Surely NCU made this up. It cannot be possible that any person who buys a smartphone is stuck with the flawed Android OS that it shipped with. Surely Google wouldn't leave them hanging in the wind?

 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/android-phones-vulnerable-to-hackers/2013/02/01/f3248922-6723-11e2-9e1b-07db1d2ccd5b_story.html

post #136 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Much of which are things that appeal only to the geeky minority. Thus why they haven't been added at this point.

The only thing even remotely geeky on that list is drag and drop. That's just my opinion of course.
post #137 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

The malware comes with the phone . . . It's called "Android."

I'm sure this writer and his sources cannot be correct. Surely NCU made this up. It cannot be possible that any person who buys a smartphone is stuck with the flawed Android OS that it shipped with. Surely Google wouldn't leave them hanging in the wind?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/android-phones-vulnerable-to-hackers/2013/02/01/f3248922-6723-11e2-9e1b-07db1d2ccd5b_story.html

There's a risk but no positive occurrences, jailbroken iPhones run the very same risks but that doesn't stop people from doing it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #138 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The only thing even remotely geeky on that list is drag and drop. That's just my opinion of course.

All tech is pointless and geeky if it's just included as bragging rights without being well developed.


PS: iOS has had drag-and-drop since 4.0.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #139 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post





Screenshot of a Photo roll full of screenshots showing I can select any picture from my not the "gallery"* I want and open it in Instagram.

*"Gallery" is probably patented by someone.

This is much better. I don't think 'gallery' can be patented nor trademarked.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #140 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All tech is pointless and geeky if it's just included as bragging rights without being well developed.


PS: iOS has had drag-and-drop since 4.0.

Tech used to be geek but Apple has done a splendid job of making it chic.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #141 of 176

Who cares? Android does some things better and iOS does other things better. If a certain feature is important to you, then you could say it's superior "for your needs".

 

I don't need the few things Android has while I do use the things iOS devices give me (support for music & audio production and compatibility with most automobiles). Add in the complete eco-system and it's a no brainer for me.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #142 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post


According to statistics at Google Play fewer than 2% of Android users have Jelly Bean. More than 50% of Android visitors to Google Play in the 2 week period ending Feb. 4 were still using Gingerbread, Froyo or something even older than that.

Technically “Jellybean" is at 13.6%, but you're right that less than 2% are on 4.2.

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
post #143 of 176
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I don't need the few things Android has while I do use the things iOS devices give me (support for music & audio production and compatibility with most automobiles). Add in the complete eco-system and it's a no brainer for me.

 

THIS JUST IN: APPLE USERS HAVE NO BRAINS.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #144 of 176

^ 13.6% is still pathetic considering JB is the only secure version of Android. Even worse is the 45.6% still on GB and the fact that you can still buy new phones with GB installed. A new phone with a 2 year old OS.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #145 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If you want all that on iOS can't you simply buy a phone that runs on Android?

Why do you think Androids are selling that well?
post #146 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

THIS JUST IN: APPLE USERS HAVE NO BRAINS.

I read it on the internet so it must be true.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #147 of 176

Surprised at all the comments here. My next smart phone will probably be the Galaxy Note 2 which is a beast of a phone. The feature that stands out the most to me is ability to multi-task. Imagine watching a Youtube video on top of the screen and surfing the web on the bottom half. Can't do that with an iPhone. Imagine you want to take note of something really quick. You pull out the stylus from the case and immediately the Notepad app comes up. You can write with it and the handwriting recognition works very well. 

 

Of course Android has always had better notifications than iOS. Android 4.0 has the ability to look at detailed notifications within the notifications bar which is ingenious. Google Maps and navigation has always been superior on Android and there's other features that I won't go into where Android has always had an advantage.

 

NFC is a joke, who uses that? I have a Galaxy S2 right now (with NFC) and I've never even been tempted to use it. I come from both camps, I own a 5th gen iPod, 5th gen iPod Touch and the new 27" iMac so I do appreciate Apple products. But right now Android is eating iOS's lunch in terms of coming up with new features and ideas. Just look at a review of the new Galaxy Note 2 from Soldierknowsbest on Youtube. Samsung is evolving at a much faster pace right now and it's pretty scary, they definitely have an "edge" that iOS clearly does not have at this time.

post #148 of 176
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
Imagine watching a Youtube video on top of the screen and surfing the web on the bottom half. Can't do that with an iPhone.

 

Can't do it if you're a human being, either. Apple doesn't need to sell product to chameleons to be able to make money. Apparently Android manufacturers do.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #149 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post

Surprised at all the comments here. My next smart phone will probably be the Galaxy Note 2 which is a beast of a phone. The feature that stands out the most to me is ability to multi-task. Imagine watching a Youtube video on top of the screen and surfing the web on the bottom half. Can't do that with an iPhone.
I thought the iPhone screen was too small? So now you're going to take your screen and cut it in half to run two Apps at the same time? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #150 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Why do you think Androids are selling that well?

Because many people will buy the cheapest thing that is available, especially BOGOF phones. These people are technically ignorant, they're cheap and they do not use their Android phones as smart phones, which is why Android always has pathetic showings on web stats charts. Besides a few select Android phones that are priced higher, most people are ending up with rotten Android phones, running an outdated OS.

post #151 of 176

Woz is a nerd (have you ever seen a picture of his work bench?).

He wants always the newest features in his toys. All of them at once.

I want that too. But I'm not responsible for the operations of a 165 billion $ company.

Neither is Woz.

post #152 of 176
Perhaps now that Forstall is gone, Apple can "catch up" on features for iOS. (sarcasm)

That said, the Almighty Woz should go back home, put on his CPAP, and take a nap.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #153 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

^ 13.6% is still pathetic considering JB is the only secure version of Android. Even worse is the 45.6% still on GB and the fact that you can still buy new phones with GB installed. A new phone with a 2 year old OS.

It is pathetic.  Manufacturers need to realize that their skins don't add enough value to compensate for the slow updates.

 

I'm not aware of a phone that can be bought today with GB, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if there were one.

post #154 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that there are personal motives behind his many comments these past years regarding Apple, whenever he opens his mouth and gives an opinion about something Apple related.

 

Even though he may still get his little check from Apple, he has nothing to do with the company or it's products I believe.

 

And the Microsoft Surface made him think that "Steve Jobs came back reincarnated" at Microsoft? Wozniak may have done some cool stuff many, many decades ago, but I can't take anybody seriously who would say that about Steve Jobs and Microsoft. 

 

I haven't seen Woz in over 20 years... But I had lots of opportunity to see him in action in the early years & went to 2 of his weddings & quite a few of his parties...

 

These periodic public appearances of Woz fit with what I have observed previously...  What you see is the pure Woz... No hidden agenda... Says what he feels... 

 

AFAIK, Woz's employee number at Apple has never been retired -- but he is not an active employee.

 

To the contrary of bad-mouthing Apple, Woz has often come out in public support -- even publicly buying stock when Apple was struggling...

 

Standing in line to buy an iPhone or an iPad is exactly the way Woz would do it -- unassumingly using his semi-celebrity status to promote the company and the products he loves...

 

the other side of the coin is that Woz will offer his opinion when he thinks it is warranted... No holds barred... No apologies...

 

I wish I  could describe myself as above!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #155 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The next time we want your opinion Mr. Wozniak, we'll give it to you.

 

If the Co-founder of Apple says his opinion about his company's products, should'nt people listen?

 

Why dismiss him for saying what is already evidently true?

 

I willing bet money that Steve has a much closer association with the company than you do.

 

Perhaps its time to drop the veil of bubbled up egoes and start looking at the reality.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #156 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomp View Post

Woz - you are a brilliant programmer, but you know nothing - Apple doesn't build products for the elite IT guys and that's why you needed Steve. Apple builds products for the rest of us - that's where the money is...

So brilliant, Apple had to license floating point BASIC from Microsoft.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #157 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

If the Co-founder of Apple says his opinion about his company's products, should'nt people listen?

Same question to you: If that co-founder is Steve Jobs, would you listen?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #158 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomp View Post

Woz - you are a brilliant programmer, but you know nothing - Apple doesn't build products for the elite IT guys and that's why you needed Steve. Apple builds products for the rest of us - that's where the money is...

So brilliant, Apple had to license floating point BASIC from Microsoft.

 

Yeah, but... It included Integer BASIC and 6502 mini assembler in RAM... Also HiRes and LoRes color graphics, TV Typewriter, Mag Tape Cassette I/O, expansion slots, power supply... All pretty revolutionary for its time!

 

S100 Dazzler graphics cards of that era cost as much as the Apple ][.

 

Then the IWM -- Integrated Woz Machine Floppy Disk Controller... Which was even used in the original Mac.

 

it is an exercise in futility to challenge Woz's engineering expertise.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #159 of 176
Wozniak needs to retire to a nursing home in New Zealand. His dementia keeps getting worse.
post #160 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Wozniak needs to retire to a nursing home in New Zealand. His dementia keeps getting worse.

 

Like you, I find it very easy to analyze and criticize you... Someone I've never even met!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wozniak: Apple now 'somewhat behind' in smartphone features