or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 1 in 4 employees want Apple iPad for work, 1 in 3 want iPhone, study finds

1 in 4 employees want Apple iPad for work, 1 in 3 want iPhone, study finds

post #1 of 34
Apple's best-selling iPad and iPhone continue to thrive in the consumer sector, but a new report indicates that iOS is positioned to challenge Microsoft in the enterprise segment as well.

Forrester's 2013 Mobile Workforce Adoption Trends looked at work habits and desired technologies among 9,766 global information workers. Forrester says "anytime, anywhere information workers" that use three or more devices now constitute 29 percent of the global workforce, up from 23 percent in 2011.

Forrester's analysis found that 21 percent of respondents were using a tablet at least weekly for work. Forty-eight percent were using a smartphone at least weekly for work.

Forrester 1

Among respondents using tablets for work, 58 percent relied on an iPad, more than twice the number using Android tablets and more than five times the number using Windows tablets. iOS was nearly even with Android among workers counting smartphones among their primary work devices; Android had 37 percent of respondents, while iOS had 34 percent. The BlackBerry platform, once nearly synonymous with mobile productivity, held a 15 percent share among respondents.

Apple's future in the enterprise sector looks brighter when it comes to the devices respondents want for their next work smartphones or tablets. While 16 percent of respondents currently use an iPhone, 33 percent said they wanted an iPhone for their next work smartphone, as big a percentage as Android and Windows Phone combined.

Forrester 2

The tablet segment is also promising for Apple. Twenty-six percent of respondents want an iPad for their next work tablet, more than twice the percentage that want an Android-powered device. The enterprise tablet sector, though, also holds promise for Microsoft's Windows platform, as 32 percent of respondents said they would prefer a Windows tablet for their next device.

For the time, desktop and notebook computing solutions remain the most popular platforms for enterprise, with 84 and 63 percent, respectively, of workers using those devices weekly. In those segments, Microsoft's platform remains the overwhelming leader, but Apple is making headway in the notebook sector. Forrester's report sees Apple's MacBook line holding nine percent of the global enterprise install base.

As the global PC market endures a prolonged slump, though, many observers have noted a prime opportunity for Apple's mobile computing platform to disrupt the typically PC-oriented enterprise sector.

The iOS-in-enterprise trend is part of a larger bring-your-own-device trend in enterprise, where workers are purchasing their own mobile computing devices and using them for both work and personal purposes. Apple has tried to accelerate this trend, working with partners to better tailor its devices for businesses and rolling out higher-capacity iPads to specifically target enterprise.
post #2 of 34

This is obviously a lie; no one would use a toy for real work in business¡

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 34
Obviously the remaining 3 of 4 and the 2 of 3 haven't gotten a chance to use an Apple product yet. If they did, the numbers would be higher. 1biggrin.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Obviously the remaining 3 of 4 and the 2 of 3 haven't gotten a chance to use an Apple product yet. If they did, the numbers would be higher. 1biggrin.gif

I bet cnet and other anti-Apple sites state "3 out of 4 office drones don't want an iPad."
post #5 of 34

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/5/13 at 3:14pm
post #6 of 34
Quote:

Nah...those folks just don't want to work. Period. :P
post #7 of 34

Statistics are a funny thing but everyone seems to love those pretty little graphs and percent signs so they just keep on coming. 

post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is obviously a lie; no one would use a toy for real work in business¡

No one employed by The Woz anyway.

post #9 of 34
N/M
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Not anyone who read this: "Among respondents using tablets for work, 58 percent relied on an iPad, more than twice the number using Android tablets and more than five times the number using Windows tablets."

True, if the article were about market share, a larger percentage of business users have purchased iPads than the minority share Apple holds in the general market.

But that's not what this article is about.  Take a look at the headline again:

"1 in 4 employees want Apple iPad for work, 1 in 3 want iPhone, study finds"

The Forrester report is about desirability, not shipments.

post #11 of 34

Did they not get the memo that demand for Apple products is flagging?

post #12 of 34

Android is making great strides among the unemployed, however.

post #13 of 34
just goes to show that as always, the department running Macs are where all the talented people are doing actual work.

All the other floors can use iOS toys and Windows PCs to do their "work"

A bit sad if you can say you can do your job on an iPad... it is like the Crayons of the business computer world.
post #14 of 34

And, conversely, the 1 out of 3 who say they would like a Microsoft Surface clearly haven't gotten a chance to try one yet.  If they did, the numbers would be lower :D

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #15 of 34
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
No one employed by The Woz anyway.

Well, Fusion-IO sells NAND to Apple. I imagine many of them have Apple products. 1wink.gif

post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And, conversely, the 1 out of 3 who say they would like a Microsoft Surface clearly haven't gotten a chance to try one yet.  If they did, the numbers would be lower :D

Based on reviews on The Verge and other sites, I believe you are right.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 34

I think all of the appleites and apologists need to realize that this articles is fraught with miss-leading statements and assumptions that would make the obama administration blush with shame, let step through them one by one.

1. This survey was taken by or given to 9,766 (Global Information Workers), probably heavily weighted in China, Japan and the rest of the orient where traditional office space is at a premium and most "information workers" e.g. bloggers, ha (sorry had to snicker).

2. Claiming that 9,766 some how equates to 208,000,000 is a bit of a reach. (but perhaps if they could all blog about their desire!) (okay no snicker this time)

3. I hardly think that thriving in a space you practically created is something to sing about  especially when the stats show that more global information workers want Windows tablets.  I see that Apple has yet to claim a significant share of the desktop or laptop market, something it continues to flail and then complain that no one understands their advanced products.\

4. The most informative stat in this article is this. Those that were surveyed do not use phones or tablets in their work 52% do not use a smart phone and 79% do not use a tablet, who were they polling Chinese autoworkers, 11 year olds? furthermore 83% of those surveyed that want to use a tablet only 31% of them WANT an apple, let me say that again ONLY 31% that WANT a tablet WANT an Apple. 69% of those that want a tablet want something different.

There comes a chasm or tipping point where your technology and the advance in technology in your segment exceed your ability to make the leaps that were once in the past when the segment was new and exciting, now innovators elsewhere have eclipsed apple and the shills writing this crap know it!

post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreisler View Post

I think all of the appleites and apologists need to realize that this articles is fraught with miss-leading statements and assumptions that would make the obama administration blush with shame, let step through them one by one.

1. This survey was taken by or given to 9,766 (Global Information Workers), probably heavily weighted in China, Japan and the rest of the orient where traditional office space is at a premium and most "information workers" e.g. bloggers, ha (sorry had to snicker).

2. Claiming that 9,766 some how equates to 208,000,000 is a bit of a reach. (but perhaps if they could all blog about their desire!) (okay no snicker this time)

3. I hardly think that thriving in a space you practically created is something to sing about  especially when the stats show that more global information workers want Windows tablets.  I see that Apple has yet to claim a significant share of the desktop or laptop market, something it continues to flail and then complain that no one understands their advanced products.\

4. The most informative stat in this article is this. Those that were surveyed do not use phones or tablets in their work 52% do not use a smart phone and 79% do not use a tablet, who were they polling Chinese autoworkers, 11 year olds? furthermore 83% of those surveyed that want to use a tablet only 31% of them WANT an apple, let me say that again ONLY 31% that WANT a tablet WANT an Apple. 69% of those that want a tablet want something different.

There comes a chasm or tipping point where your technology and the advance in technology in your segment exceed your ability to make the leaps that were once in the past when the segment was new and exciting, now innovators elsewhere have eclipsed apple and the shills writing this crap know it!

1.so you have proof of your assumption or are just making an *ss out of yourself.

2. statistics. learn sample sizes and margins or error

3. this is the funny one considering your point#2. I'm sure you surveyed all 7 billion people to come up with this stat. In addition, which surveys?

4. really? lots of people don't use cell phones at work. Not everyone needs to have one either. Also those who want an MS tablet obviously have never used one. If they did, they'll find it lacking to important areas.

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreisler View Post

To dismiss offhand that 9,766 is too small of a sample size to adequately represent a population of 208,000,000 just reveals that you do not know much about statistics and should not be commenting about it.

post #20 of 34
Everybody wants a iPhone.
post #21 of 34

So Suface tablets are more desirable, but somehow that desire doesn't translate into purchases? 

post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

So Suface tablets are more desirable, but somehow that desire doesn't translate into purchases? 

probably results from surveys in and around Redmond. :)

post #23 of 34

Write a business case, convince IT and business leadership that iPads are better/faster/cheaper and/or improve business efficiancy and profitability. If you can prove that iPads can mke more money and / or cost less to manage, then guess what? business will adapt! Businesses exist to make money, iPads are being used where they make sense, but the boring unsexy laptops and desktops also make business sense - that is the cold hard truth, you work to make your company money, not just to play with cool toys.

You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Way to miss a headline. 

In the outside world, the most newsworthy thing from the Forrester report is that Microsoft holds such a significant lead over Apple in tablet desirability. 

Who would have guessed?

Funny how every iOS fan pretends he/she hasn't noticed that.

Windows 8 tablets will do fine in enterprise. Not necessarily Surface Pro - it is more consumer than business oriented - but likes of Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Write a business case, convince IT and business leadership that iPads are better/faster/cheaper and/or improve business efficiancy and profitability. If you can prove that iPads can mke more money and / or cost less to manage, then guess what? business will adapt! Businesses exist to make money, iPads are being used where they make sense, but the boring unsexy laptops and desktops also make business sense - that is the cold hard truth, you work to make your company money, not just to play with cool toys.

Yes if they believe in fairy tales.

First of - and I know this will itch some people here, so I apologize in advance - you'd need fully featured MS Office on iPad for majority of business users. I'm not saying MS Office is making world a better place, for it is not. I am, however, saying that it is requirement right here, right now. It is like simple fact that you must have fluent command of English if you want to be reported for CNN, or SkyNews. Maybe in 100 years time requirement will be Esperanto, but here and now, you cannot overcome English language requirement.

And even if there is MS Office on iPad. I believe reasonable people here will agree with me - one 10" screen is simply not enough for businesses. Most our customers, us included, are pushing setups with 2x 19 - 22" screens, some even bigger displays. Fit them in 1x 10" screen, Retina or not. I cannot imagine people hunching behind tablets - be it iPad, Surface or any other - typing on small 85% size keyboards, and pretending they are more efficient there than on i5 desktop or laptop on dock, connected to two screens, full size keyboard, mouse. It is just... not in the same plane of existence.

Tablets can be, and will be - if already are not - great sidekicks, supplement devices that some people will be able to use when away from desk (some will still have to pick their laptops from docking stations and carry them around to fulfil their requirements). But then, there is this problem - if business is based on Windows ecosystem, and most are - they will have to cater for two different platforms if they decide to go for iOS or Android tablets, and struggle with number of obstacles and limitations in trying to link those two platforms in fully transparent way. They will end up in two different solutions for the same situation (like secured SSL-VPN remote access with USB tokens for PC/laptop, and something else for tablet) which will make whole infrastructure more complex to maintain, and more expensive.

Or, they can go for Windows 8 Pro tablet that will fit perfectly into their existing system, and not worry about remote access, CRM, SharePoint, or any other software and service they already have implemented into their IT infrastructure.

Tablet like ThinkPat Tablet 2 which costs like iPad with same storage option, has docking station with lan port, external display port, few USB ports. That can be part of same network, same domain, samo group policies applied, same management software installed. And all the apps person is using on his main machine.

I just cannot see how non-Windows tablets could strive in business environments, without huge changes happening on core infrastructure level. There will be interesting individual cases, of course... but mainstream? I really cannot see that happening, not any time soon.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Funny how every iOS fan pretends he/she hasn't noticed that.

Windows 8 tablets will do fine in enterprise. Not necessarily Surface Pro - it is more consumer than business oriented - but likes of Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2.

Hmm...at the Fortune 50 company I work at I never see tablets outside of iPads.  We use HP and Dell laptops, but I have yet to see someone in my office using a tablet that wasn't an iPad.

post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

just goes to show that as always, the department running Macs are where all the talented people are doing actual work.

All the other floors can use iOS toys and Windows PCs to do their "work"

A bit sad if you can say you can do your job on an iPad... it is like the Crayons of the business computer world.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9233431/Doctors_prescribe_iPad_Mini_a_perfect_lab_coat_fit

post #28 of 34

My boss asked me if I wanted an iPad for work like most other peeps, I said "can I have an alternative?" He said "whadya want?" I said "A new Strat".

He told me to foxtrot oscar -go figure...

post #29 of 34

As I sit here with my brand new iPad bought for use on our factory shop floor....

post #30 of 34
I don't see all good news here. "1 in 3 want an iPhone" tells me that the popularity is waning. I bet that number was "2 in 3" this time one or two years ago. Thoughts?
post #31 of 34
Originally Posted by egorans View Post
I don't see all good news here. "1 in 3 want an iPhone" tells me that the popularity is waning. I bet that number was "2 in 3" this time one or two years ago. Thoughts?

That betting in this regard only means something when you have evidence to support it. Do you have any evidence to support your theory that businesses and their employees wanted iPhones and iPads in greater numbers in the past than now?

post #32 of 34

Some people should watch Education TV for a change:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

Cheers

post #33 of 34
Hi,
I'm disagree with a large part of you guys, the iPad invaded a lot of enterprise like SAP, they equip a large part of their salesman because the iPad have a lightweight, a important autonomy, and it revolutionizes the way of taking notes, following its projects, reading documents or photos.
Personaly i use it every single day at work, if i can advice some good apps (Evernote, GoodReader, Beesy, Omnifocus)

Best,
C.
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And, conversely, the 1 out of 3 who say they would like a Microsoft Surface clearly haven't gotten a chance to try one yet.  If they did, the numbers would be lower 1biggrin.gif

Everyone that tries a Surface will of course want one. They make work so much fun with those instant hip hop dance skills that come with every unit
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • 1 in 4 employees want Apple iPad for work, 1 in 3 want iPhone, study finds
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 1 in 4 employees want Apple iPad for work, 1 in 3 want iPhone, study finds