or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

post #1 of 127
A new report out of the Far East claims Apple will release both an upgraded "iPhone 5S" as well as a new "iPhone 6" with a larger 5-inch screen this year.

The details come from investment news service BrightWire, which cited a report out of Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba.com. That source reportedly spotted two new iPhone models at Apple's suppliers.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

The report said that Apple "may" release both models in 2013. The iPhone 5S reportedly has a design similar to the current iPhone 5, while the 5-inch iPhone is said to be lighter and thinner.

As larger iPhones like Samsung's Galaxy Note series have gained traction in the marketplace, there has been increasing speculation that Apple could go even bigger with a future iPhone model. The company increased the screen size of its flagship handset from 3.5 inches to 4 inches with the launch of the iPhone 5 last September.

Some have speculated that Apple could launch an iPhone with a bigger 5-inch display by keeping the same 640-by-1,136-pixel resolution as the current iPhone 5 screen. Stretching those pixels out to a 5-inch display would give a lower pixel density of 264-per-inch, but it would allow developers to continue to create applications for one screen resolution.

Analysts have also called on Apple to launch a big-screen iPhone, sometimes referred to as an "iPhone Plus." They believe Apple is "leaving money on the tablet" by not competing with larger devices like the Galaxy Note.
post #2 of 127
More stupid rumors.

Great. Now the stock can start dropping again when they turn out not to be true.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #3 of 127
Oh! Oh no.
post #4 of 127

Really? Stick to the plan they've used for the past 5 years? SHOCKING!

post #5 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More stupid rumors.

Great. Now the stock can start dropping again when they turn out not to be true.

LOL

Brightwire read AI forums and saw my posts about Apple releasing 2 models going forward. I hope they really do, i would love that (already said why).

They don't need to do it, but for me (and countless millions) a 5 inch iPhone is a better device.

post #6 of 127
A larger phone? Good idea.

Being an uncritical fanboi? Less good idea.
post #7 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

3. Never heard about developers complaining about the two iPad versions, since it's a very small deal to enhance from normal to Retina display. Apple did a good job, with it's SDK to help developers to make the conversion.

Indeed, the transition was a near-seamless experience for my (fairly complicated) app.
post #8 of 127
Apple can "plan" anything they want and it doesn't mean it'll come true. Personally I hope the current iPhone stays at the size it's at currently.

Crap like this is downright absurd:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/01/18/if-you-buy-this-i-will-laugh-in-your-face/
post #9 of 127

The phablet market is not the 5" market. The bigger phones do look good, deal with it.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #10 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Apple can "plan" anything they want and it doesn't mean it'll come true. Personally I hope the current iPhone stays at the size it's at currently.

Crap like this is downright absurd:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/01/18/if-you-buy-this-i-will-laugh-in-your-face/

I'm sorry... But can't you read?

2 models.

post #11 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I'm sorry... But can't you read?

2 models.

I can read and my statement holds true. I don't want to see Apple make a larger iPhone than the one that's currently on the market. They already have their two models - the 5 & the 4/4s.
post #12 of 127
Well, Solipsism, there's your 4.94" screen! No need for devs to change their apps.

Of course, they can always go bigger, but that will need developers changing their apps:
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #13 of 127
I think this is great news, I would consider switching back to an iphone if they came out with a bigger screened version. One of the only reasons I didnt upgrade to the ip5 was due to the small screen. I don't really know if keeping the same resolution on the rumored ip6 is a good idea though, I would like to see something in the 300 plus ppi range.
post #14 of 127

Tim has already said they're happy with the new 4" size due to it's relationship to the reach of the human thumb, I don't think they are going 5" any time soon. As for "leaving money on the table," if they keep introducing more and more variants of their products they will end up like the Apple of the 1990s, and how well did that work out? Almost died.

post #15 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I can read and my statement holds true. I don't want to see Apple make a larger iPhone than the one that's currently on the market. They already have their two models - the 5 & the 4/4s.

Why? In what you would that bother you?

post #16 of 127

I hope that if Apple feels the need to make a 5'' iPhone that they keep the 4'' version too.

I don't understand the usefullness of a phablet.

For those with not so good eyesight there is allready a solution to that problem.

It's been in use for several 100years, tested and found to work.

post #17 of 127

The large phone rumours only make sense if there is a large and growing segment of the market that wants a large phone and that Apple is "failing to capture."  Despite all the talk, I have never seen anyone produce any real numbers that would indicate this is so.  

Everyone always talks about how this segment exists, but I have yet to see any real numbers or analysis that indicates it's anything other than a "feeling," or a misconception.  

post #18 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I hope that if Apple feels the need to make a 5'' iPhone that they keep the 4'' version too.
I don't understand the usefullness of a phablet.
For those with not so good eyesight there is allready a solution to that problem.
It's been in use for several 100years, tested and found to work.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I'll drop the iPhone if they don't come any smaller than 5". Problem is, what to buy then? I was going to say W8, but would take a good look at BB10, now that we can. Hey, that rhymes.
post #19 of 127
Stop it. Just. Stop.
post #20 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

3. Never heard about developers complaining about the two iPad versions, since it's a very small deal to enhance from normal to Retina display. Apple did a good job, with it's SDK to help developers to make the conversion.

Indeed, the transition was a near-seamless experience for my (fairly complicated) app.

What's your app?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #21 of 127
Not everyone loves Samsung's bigger screens. I know someone who gave away his brand new Samsung S3 because he did not like the larger screen. Reverted back to his old Nokia. Hope this larger screen iPhone is just another unfounded rumour.
post #22 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

LOL

Brightwire read AI forums and saw my posts about Apple releasing 2 models going forward. I hope they really do, i would love that (already said why).
They don't need to do it, but for me (and countless millions) a 5 inch iPhone is a better device.

Don't get me wrong. I'm opposed to all the stupid rumors that never end. Analysts will predict the same thing for 20 years and people will keep believing it.

I'm not the least bit opposed to the idea of a second iPhone model. Use the iPad as an example.

Initially, Apple released only the 10" iPad. They wanted just a single model at any one time in order to keep production and support costs reasonable and make it easier for developers by avoiding fragmentation. When you are only selling 1 M of a device, that makes sense.

Eventually, however, the iPad volume grew enough that developers would continue to support it and make money even if the total pool of customers was divided in half - with two different models. At that point, Apple introduced the Mini. Essentially, multiple models didn't make sense at one (lower) volume, but once the volume reached some higher level, they could easily support two sizes.

I don't doubt that the same thing could apply to the iPhone. While they were building the ecosystem, getting developers on board, and getting all of their own production and support ducks in a row, it made sense to avoid diversifying. It's much easier to support a single size (or a limited number of new sizes). Now that the volume has grown into the hundreds of millions, a second size can be supported. Heck, they've already shown that - they are currently selling and supporting both a 3.5" and 4" model.

I have no personal desire for a larger iPhone than the 5, but some people do. And I suspect that the market is large enough to support a larger phone - or even a 'phablet' type device. But I'm not going to get excited about it simply because some analyst predicts it for the 10,000th time.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #23 of 127

A larger screen is most welcome! I have wondered if I should buy a Samsung S3 (god forbid) because of the larger screen, but now I can stay on the iOS platform if this rumor is true.

Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
post #24 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

And which of those fellows would be you?

>> I am not expecting you to point it out,

All I am saying is Ha!!! I knew it.

Anyway I guess it's quiet OK to work for Google's android OS. But I see now how your opinion is a bit biased.

post #25 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Well, I think Apple better start re-evaluating that policy, because Tim Cook will be the death of Apple if he isn't gotten rid of NOW.

Forgot the " /s" did you?

I certainly hope so.

post #26 of 127
Quote:

And which of those fellows would be you?

>> I am not expecting you to point it out,

All I am saying is Ha!!! I knew it.

Anyway I guess it's quiet OK to work for Google's android OS. But I see now how your opinion is a bit biased.

There's lots of Google employees carrying iPhones to work simply because they prefer them. That's a good thing since Google isn't all about Android. They also like iOS users, with entire teams dedicated to improving the experience of Apple device owners, to Google's benefit too to be sure.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #27 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Tim has already said they're happy with the new 4" size due to it's relationship to the reach of the human thumb, I don't think they are going 5" any time soon. 

As history has shown, what an Apple CEO says and what actually happens, sometimes have little relationship to each other.

They could just move the goalposts.  E.g. bring out a larger model with a pen, and drop the one handed requirement  for that range of devices.

No one buys a Galaxy Note as a one-handed device.  They buy it specifically for its other features.  Size.  Pen.  Apps.   There's just no reason to compare a one-handed device with a two-handed device.  Different users.

Quote:
As for "leaving money on the table," if they keep introducing more and more variants of their products they will end up like the Apple of the 1990s, and how well did that work out? Almost died.

Perhaps, but I'd say that the smartphone market is not the same as the desk/laptop computer market.  

People replace phones more often, for one thing, and it's a lot more personal device.   People carry them everywhere and they've become an extension of their personality and daily work/play flow.  

It becomes important to have models that fit you, not have you be forced to fit the available models.  (Which is why there needs to be a high end smaller Android phone, as well.)

Edited by KDarling - 2/8/13 at 7:10am
post #28 of 127

Apple has locked themselves into this paradigm of "only the best" product.  It depends on who you ask, what is the best.  Is a larger screen better than a smaller screen? The market is voting that there is a large segment that wants a larger screen.  Apple is competing for the ecosystem, not just a larger phone, and that's why they need market share and need to offer different form factors.  Because one size doesn't fit all.

post #29 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

As history has shown, what an Apple CEO says and what actually happens, sometimes have little relationship to each other.

Or they could just move the goalposts.  E.g. bring out a larger model with a pen, and drop the one handed requirement  for that device 1smile.gif

Perhaps, but I'd say that the smartphone market is not the same as the desk/laptop computer market.  

People replace phones more often, for one thing, and it's a lot more personal device.   People carry them everywhere and they've become an extension of their personality and daily work/play flow.

History Repeats Itself. So it's probably likely that Apple will most likely "almost" die again. Before they come back as Apple 3.0. So I'm not entirely worried. In fact I'm Not Worried At All.

post #30 of 127

I'm about sick and tired of people complaining Apple should do this and Apple should do that. Deal with it. In fact some of you complain about not having NFC or some crap. Would you rather be using this instead?

post #31 of 127

"leaving money on the tablet" - now that made me laugh!

post #32 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

History Repeats Itself. So it's probably likely that Apple will most likely "almost" die again. Before they come back as Apple 3.0. So I'm not entirely worried. In fact I'm Not Worried At All.

Agreed.  No need to worry.

A lot of complaints seem to come from those who don't want to have to choose between multiple models. 

The answer for any true Apple fan is, of course, quite simple:  buy one of each!  1smile.gif

Seriously, it's no different than having to choose between the original and mini iPads, or between all the different iPods.

post #33 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Well, historically speaking once a company starts down the "wrong" road or goes off the rails a bit or whatever, they rarely if ever "come back" and re-invent themselves.  Apple is one of the very few companies in business history that has been able to do it, and it was basically all down to ... Steve Jobs.  

I don't think the decline has started yet with Apple, but if and when it does, it's not that likely at all they will be able to re-invent themselves a third time.  At least based on historical precedent it isn't.

post #34 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, Solipsism, there's your 4.94" screen! No need for devs to change their apps.

Of course, they can always go bigger, but that will need developers changing their apps:

Make it a cylinder and I'm game... :P ;    Starts with a D and you need a dirty mind...

post #35 of 127
Honestly, how big can these phones get before they don't really fit in your pocket any more?
post #36 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Tim has already said they're happy with the new 4" size due to it's relationship to the reach of the human thumb, I don't think they are going 5" any time soon. As for "leaving money on the table," if they keep introducing more and more variants of their products they will end up like the Apple of the 1990s, and how well did that work out? Almost died.

Got to agree with you. 

I think the truth is that someone saw prototypes that were made when Apple was testing going better. Tests that showed them that the current size is the best way to go. And this person is either BSing for attention or simply confused.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #37 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Sure, Steve said to do what's right, not what he would do.
Well, I think Apple better start re-evaluating that policy, because Tim Cook will be the death of Apple if he isn't gotten rid of NOW.

Even Steve had some stumbles. The g4 cube, launching mobile me the same day as a new iPhone and new iOS. Ping.

post #38 of 127
I got my wife an iPhone 5 and we needed to return it for an Android with a larger screen. She had to wear glasses to use the phone. There definitely needs to be an option with a GS3 size screen. The Note 2 is a bit too large, but the 4.8-5 inch screens do look good. She also liked the widgets and stuff, iOS needs to be made a bit more current.
post #39 of 127
Considering that Apple makes a produces a line-up of Macs and even iPad's with different screen sizes, one might think they could produce 2 or 3 iPhones with different sizes and I'm not including the older models. Not all hands are of equal size and so it makes sense from an ergonomics standpoint to offer different sizes of handsets, plus some will prefer larger screen sizes over smaller ones despite the one-handed convenience of the smaller devices.
post #40 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

I got my wife an iPhone 5 and we needed to return it for an Android with a larger screen. She had to wear glasses to use the phone. There definitely needs to be an option with a GS3 size screen. The Note 2 is a bit too large, but the 4.8-5 inch screens do look good. She also liked the widgets and stuff, iOS needs to be made a bit more current.

I have a 4s and my son has the S3.  I prefer a smaller phone but I do find the S3 better when I'm trying to read stuff on the screen.  I wish my eyes weregetting  better with age but that's not happening so I can see where a larger phone will have a market.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013