or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013 - Page 2

post #41 of 127
Hey, c'mon! Why not 7"?
post #42 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The large phone rumours only make sense if there is a large and growing segment of the market that wants a large phone and that Apple is "failing to capture."  Despite all the talk, I have never seen anyone produce any real numbers that would indicate this is so.  

Everyone always talks about how this segment exists, but I have yet to see any real numbers or analysis that indicates it's anything other than a "feeling," or a misconception.  

Because people feel that since the SGS 3 and Note 2 are selling well (though way behind the iPhone) that Apple is losing out on customers. Personally I've seen people switching from Android to the iPhone. Even if a few have gone to Android just to get a bigger phone I'd say Apple gained many more than they've lost
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #43 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

I'm about sick and tired of people complaining Apple should do this and Apple should do that. Deal with it. In fact some of you complain about not having NFC or some crap. Would you rather be using this instead?

Or this

Moshi-Moshi-Curve-Bluetooth-Wireless-Handset-and-iPhone-Dock-Black.png
post #44 of 127
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
If this rumor were true having a 4" iPhone 5S then a new larger one called the iPhone 6 just seems strange. What would they call them the following year? The only way this could fly is if they start using odd numbers for the smaller iPhone and even numbers for a larger so the next ones would be the iPhone 7 and 8. But that also seems confusing and very unlike Apple. I think the iPhone+ for the larger one makes much more sense. 

Why is it that we had to wait for page 2 and a TROLL to point out that this rumor is IDENTICAL TO THE PATENTLY FALSE NONSENSE THAT WAS SPEWED BEFORE THE IPHONE 4S WAS RELEASED?!

I mean COME ON, people! Why is it that we had to wait for ME, who has NO functioning short or long term memory on which I can rely, to remember this and point it out?!

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Moshi-Moshi-Curve-Bluetooth-Wireless-Handset-and-iPhone-Dock-Black.png

That's sort of classy-looking. I rather like that, actually. What, it's a home phone for your iPhone; dock it and then the receiver is Bluetooth… 

If they'd made the handset in the shape of the first Apple phone (but black like that), I'd want one immediately.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #45 of 127

iPhone 6 with 6" screen.  iPhone 7 with 7" screen.  iPhone 8 and so on.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #46 of 127

With Apple adopting new "Touch On" display, larger iPhone is pretty much a lock. Will probably be in 4.7"/4.8" range, if not 5".

post #47 of 127

The Apple's income and long term stock price is not effected by rumors.  Back when new products could delay current sales because refreshes ran ever 12-18 months this was indeed a problem.  Apple has just shifted to a 6 month product cycle for the iPhone and iPad to keep it's lineup fresher and more competitive.  This is good for Apple's customers and owners of the stock.  The real problem Apple is facing is the stock price has to climb a wall of new money invested to keep it's PE up.  So far the economic situation of the world has not been able to do this.  That makes the current environment a perfect one to accumulate apple stock, but not Apple futures positions unless you are over a year out on expiration.  

Worry about what you can control.  Where are you going to get more money to buy into this long term gravy train?

post #48 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I have a 4s and my son has the S3.  I prefer a smaller phone but I do find the S3 better when I'm trying to read stuff on the screen.  I wish my eyes weregetting  better with age but that's not happening so I can see where a larger phone will have a market.

... and my thumbs don't work as well as they used to so I don't give a damn if I can use it with one hand or not.  1smile.gif

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #49 of 127
It's money on the table. I love my 5 but would gladly jump to a 5 inch screen in a heartbeat, as would many others. I use bluetooth headsets and never hold the phone to my head. I dock my phone on the dash for music and nav and would appreciate a larger screen. I don't care one whit what others think about how perfect a narrow phone is. A 5S and 6 offering seems to cover more bases and as a stock holder I think that's not a bad plan for the future.
post #50 of 127
Originally Posted by mjrkong View Post
With Apple adopting new "Touch On" display, larger iPhone is pretty much a lock. Will probably be in 4.7"/4.8" range, if not 5".

What's this? Since when is Apple adopting it? What makes this "proof" of a larger iPhone?

post #51 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I hope that if Apple feels the need to make a 5'' iPhone that they keep the 4'' version too.
I don't understand the usefullness of a phablet.
For those with not so good eyesight there is allready a solution to that problem.
It's been in use for several 100years, tested and found to work.

Actually, zooming in and out quickly often does the job in case you need it. Settings-->general-->assistance-->zoom. Just double tap with three fingers to zoom on and out.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
post #52 of 127

A 5" iPhone wouldn't be terrible- I might buy it.  But a 5" iPhone with the same resolution as the iPhone 5 stretched out to 5"?  No Thanks.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #53 of 127
Quote:

You on the other hand are abrasive and love to copy only parts of a post and then give short and snarky quips.

You also love to remove posts that point out your errors so there is no proof.

Yeah, I saw what you did when you got embarrassed in the Straightalk thread a week or two ago where you supported the guy that said he got unlimited data even though everyone else said he was wrong and provided proof. 

Yes on the 2nd and 3rd parts.  I actually had a post deleted by him in that exact Straightalk thread that didn't violate any rules, yet he removed it because it painted him in a bad light and proved him wrong (with sources).  And as for the 1st part... I guess I am doing that now... whoops.

post #54 of 127
You have got to be the biggest troll on this site which is ironic since you are a mod.

Or maybe it's just wrong. lol.gif

You also love to remove posts that point out your errors so there is no proof.

Do you have any proof of that? 1wink.gif

Yeah, I saw what you did when you got embarrassed in the Straightalk thread a week or two ago where you supported the guy that said he got unlimited data even though everyone else said he was wrong and provided proof. All those posts with links vanished. 

No posts in that thread containing any links were deleted. Posts containing insults against members of this forum were deleted.

In fact, contrary to your claim, the only post made by that person that was deleted was in reference to a previously deleted post. Count them yourself. Huddler's post count includes all deleted posts, so it should be 1:1 with the posts you can see. Eight total, seven visible. Roughly all containing information (erroneous) about Straight Talk.

If you really want to be publicly embarrassed about how wrong you are, feel free to start a thread in the Feedback section of the forum, and I'll gladly show everyone the contents of the posts in question. I'm not discussing it further here.

For someone that doesn't even own an iPhone and never has plans to get one you sure have a lot of opinions. No your hand me down iPhone 1 that you use as an iPod doesn't count. 

Now do you see why people call you a troll? You just lie. Constantly.

post #55 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
A new report out of the Far East

Sounds like it's from below the waistline and round the back. It's far fetched at least.
Quote:
claims Apple will release both an upgraded "iPhone 5S" as well as a new "iPhone 6" with a larger 5-inch screen this year.

Does this come with a TV, a cheap model and multiple colors too? They can release a big one but I want it in green and I won't pay more than half the price of the iPhone 5. Also, stylus pls.
Quote:
That source reportedly spotted two new iPhone models at Apple's suppliers.

Maybe one of the models was just closer. If only they could have taken a picture of this.
Quote:
The report said that Apple "may" release both models in 2013.

And why wouldn't they if they're in production?
Quote:
As larger iPhones like Samsung's Galaxy Note series have gained traction in the marketplace

Are there larger iPhones like the Galaxy Note? According to Samsung the Galaxy Tab gained traction too:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57490740-37/samsung-tablet-sales-teeny-tiny-next-to-ipad/

They wouldn't be fibbin' about the Note numbers too would they? Nah, let's believe them this time.
Quote:
Some have speculated that Apple could launch an iPhone with a bigger 5-inch display by keeping the same 640-by-1,136-pixel resolution as the current iPhone 5 screen. Stretching those pixels out to a 5-inch display would give a lower pixel density of 264-per-inch, but it would allow developers to continue to create applications for one screen resolution.

Good idea, that way the Retina model (the better model) will be older and cheaper. The iPad is Retina at 264 PPI because you hold it further away.
post #56 of 127
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Maybe one of the models was just closer.

Oh, that's precious!

post #57 of 127

I'm with you gwmac, the way he bestrides these discussions like a playground bully really spoils them for me!

post #58 of 127

Remember all the ruckus and gnashing of teeth when everyone and their grandmother was insisting that Apple needed to release a netbook in order to stay relevant?  Apple never caved to the pressure and instead wound up more profitable and selling more devices than ever.

There's no telling if the same will happen with these new demands on Apple, but at there is a track record to look at.  Apple goes their own way.  They usually wind up on top and earning billions.  The analysts demanding this or that have been proven wrong time and time again.  Has no one learned from history?

post #59 of 127
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post
Remember all the ruckus and gnashing of teeth when everyone and their grandmother was insisting that Apple needed to release a netbook in order to stay relevant?  Apple never caved to the pressure and instead wound up more profitable and selling more devices than ever.

There's no telling if the same will happen with these new demands on Apple, but at there is a track record to look at.  Apple goes their own way.  They usually wind up on top and earning billions.  The analysts demanding this or that have been proven wrong time and time again.  Has no one learned from history?

These people treat Apple as though absolutely nothing they say can be trusted. They ignore the fact that Apple has specifically pitched their current (and past) screens as being usable with one hand. That's not possible with a larger device. But they couldn't care less, as everything Apple says is, to them, a lie.

post #60 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

LOL

Brightwire read AI forums and saw my posts about Apple releasing 2 models going forward. I hope they really do, i would love that (already said why).

They don't need to do it, but for me (and countless millions) a 5 inch iPhone is a better device.

Agreed a lot of people would like the larger phone and  IMO Apple is leaving money on the table.  However, I really like the 4S form factor, I hope they keep it(but updated). Just my opinion - the iphone 4(S) form factor(love or hate it) is a 'design' classic. Is there anything close?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #61 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

...  Now do you see why people call you a troll? You just lie. Constantly.

How is it that you gave me an "infraction" just this week for a very similar personal remark but it's okay for you to say this Mr. Moderator?  

If you need an official complaint to act on, I hereby officially complain that this "Tallest Skil" guy made an out of order personal attack on a member of the forum for no apparent reason.  

To AppleInsider management as a whole:  Please either do something about this troll disguised as a "moderator" or stop penalising the "regular" users of this form for the same thing.  I think we all have thick enough skins that if someone calls someone else a name that it doesn't have to become a big "offence."  

Conversely, if you can't see your way to doing that, then at least be fair and make sure your Moderators aren't the biggest offenders. 

post #62 of 127
AI doesn't read the forums/fora. I think the feedback is here:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/f/12/feedback
post #63 of 127
How is it that you gave me an "infraction" just this week for a very similar personal remark but it's okay for you to say this Mr. Moderator?

Content of the post in question:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
This is false actually.  It has to be uppercase.  

Which is whyyour stupid-ass post is crashing anyone who tries to answer it dumbass!

Now that it can be seen publicly, claim, again, that what I said is what you said. Claim, again, that you did not violate our rules, or that I did.

post #64 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

A 5" iPhone wouldn't be terrible- I might buy it.  But a 5" iPhone with the same resolution as the iPhone 5 stretched out to 5"?  No Thanks.

That's the part of this rumor that makes it most dubious. It doesn't make sense.

Presumably the lower density display would be less costly for Apple, but then the customer pricing on a larger device would likely be higher. I guess this helps their margins. But still.

Seems to me that iPhone 4 and 5 are just about the right size range. Why do people want larger phones? What is the goal? What do you want to achieve with the larger screen? More stuff on the screen or simply a bigger display for games and movies?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #65 of 127
Quote:

These people treat Apple as though absolutely nothing they s
ay can be trusted. They ignore the fact that Apple has specifically pitched their current (and past) screens as being usable with one hand. That's not possible with a larger device. But they couldn't care less, as everything Apple says is, to them, a lie.

I like to see it as misdirection. Or. A change of mind.

You are generally against all rumours, which is odd for a mod of a rumour site. That's what I am here for. I don't get the conservative apple followers. Of the "they never released 2 phones a year so they never will" variety. They once never released smart phones or tablets even once per year.

I don't feel the need for a larger screen but some people do. Apple didn't anticipate this, but it there, so why not follow market trends. Also a cheaper phone would be nice.

Y'all can still buy the "normal" iPhone size, whatever that is.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #66 of 127
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
You are generally against all rumours, which is odd for a mod of a rumour site.

Oh, no, I believe a few of them. I'm more into broader strokes than specific rumors. If a rumor hints to something broader, I'll get behind that.

"Two iPhones a year" we've heard before, and it was totally wrong. Doesn't give much reason to believe it when we hear it again. 

post #67 of 127
Quote:

"Two iPhones a year" we've heard before, and it was totally wrong. Doesn't give much reason to believe it when we hear it again. 

Unless Apple has finally decided/figured out how to starting splitting the product line into "bronze," "silver" and "gold." To date they've done with by retaining the older models. Maybe that will continue to work. Maybe not. Not sure I buy the larger iPhone thing. I don't get what value it brings. But something less expensive and pre-payable seems like a gap to fill. I think they actually have high-end covered well. Now maybe larger becomes the high-end and smaller the low-end. But that doesn't answer how they bring cost down to make it more accessible. And, of course, it isn't necessarily phone cost as much as plan cost that's an issue.

post #68 of 127
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post
But something less expensive and pre-payable seems like a gap to fill. I think they actually have high-end covered well. Now maybe larger becomes the high-end and smaller the low-end. But that doesn't answer how they bring cost down to make it more accessible. And, of course, it isn't necessarily phone cost as much as plan cost that's an issue.

Why can't the iPhone 4 become that? Or, rather, the 4S, since we're talking about this year's lineup? In addition to it being free on contract, it could also be available off-contract for a less than it already is (instead of $450, say $299).

post #69 of 127
Quote:

Why can't the iPhone 4 become that? Or, rather, the 4S, since we're talking about this year's lineup? In addition to it being free on contract, it could also be available off-contract for a less than it already is (instead of $450, say $299).

It might be.

I've tried to guess Apple in the past and usually get it wrong. I try to look for trends and patterns (sometimes from previous product families, etc.) Best I can do. They know their business way better than I do. They know what's selling and what's not. They know whether they're "leaving money on the table" or not. Absent that data, it's hard to guess very accurately where they might head next.

post #70 of 127
Quote:

1920x1280 1080P resolution would be perfect. It would be a resolution that could stick around for a long while as well. Apple sort of boxed themselves into a corner with the original retina. For the current iPhone maybe switch to 720P with a 1280x720 screen and just widen it a bit. 

All this concern about developers seems silly. They are coders and that is what they do all day every day, type code. They will figure it out because that is their livelihood. Not to mention that Apple already has many competing resolutions. The app developers might moan and grumble for a while but once they switch to 1080P and 720P they could stick with those two resolutions for a long while. If Apple can switch from the original Mac OS to OS X based on Unix and then a short time later switch from PPC to Intel, I think they are not that afraid about resolutions. 

Every display no matter how large or small should be 1920x1080 so there is an exact 1:! pixel ratio with current HDTVs¡ Who cares about usability and performance so long as if the occasion arises you want to mirror your display on your TV there aren't any black bars¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #71 of 127

Quote:
As larger iPhones like Samsung's Galaxy Note series

Wow, Samsung makes iPhones now! Never knew!

post #72 of 127
Quote:

If you need an official complaint to act on, I hereby officially complain that this "Tallest Skil" guy made an out of order personal attack on a member of the forum for no apparent reason.  

To AppleInsider management as a whole:  Please either do something about this troll disguised as a "moderator" or stop penalising the "regular" users of this form for the same thing.  I think we all have thick enough skins that if someone calls someone else a name that it doesn't have to become a big "offence."  

Conversely, if you can't see your way to doing that, then at least be fair and make sure your Moderators aren't the biggest offenders. 

Get it right he's an administrator now.
post #73 of 127
Quote:

These people treat Apple as though absolutely nothing they say can be trusted. They ignore the fact that Apple has specifically pitched their current (and past) screens as being usable with one hand. That's not possible with a larger device. But they couldn't care less, as everything Apple says is, to them, a lie.

Actually a larger phone can be used with one hand just as iPhones aren't solely used with one hand.
post #74 of 127
Quote:

Well said. I have a great idea for an AI poll question. How many people want to see TS continue his role as a mod and how many people want him removed. I bet it would get a lot of votes. ANother great poll question would be to ask the readers at 9to5mac, macrumors, and other popular forums how many of them stopped visiting AI forums due to the constant bullying by TS. I remember him actually threatening to ban people before the iPhone 5 came out for calling the next iPhone the iPhone5!!! Surely there are other people here that could take his place. If any other mods or the site owner are reading this you guys really need to do something because I think he runs off a lot of people from this site. All of this because he just had to call me a troll earlier in the thread for expressing an opinion. 

Well, I'd like to agree with you, but I'd probably get banned if I did. 1smoking.gif
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #75 of 127
If it is above 4.65 inches it joins retarded screen sizes for pocket devices, android is the origin of this
post #76 of 127
I remember him actually threatening to ban people before the iPhone 5 came out for calling the next iPhone the iPhone5!

Pure lies. Your memory seems to be worse than mine, and THAT would be an insult if anyone else was saying it. Given the information I've provided about your recent inaccuracies, do you imagine this is the truth either?!

post #77 of 127
I give this rumor 1:8 odds of happening. We're pretty far from an "iPhone 6" introduction. It could be an internal prototype that's never meant to see the light of day.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #78 of 127
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
We're pretty far from an "iPhone 6" introduction. 

Unless it's this year and they want to trip us up with naming conventions all over again.

post #79 of 127
Quote:

Unless it's this year and they want to trip us up with naming conventions all over again.

What us? Just you lol
post #80 of 127
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
What us? Just you lol

Everyone (longhand for "us") thinks it's the iPhone 5S this year. If they released the iPhone 6, that would trip "us" up.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013