or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009

Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009 - Page 5

post #161 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

That title... seriously at least try to look a little impartial.

On one hand, I understand, DED is blatantly partisan, often in contrived ways. On the other, I think it pays to remind people of the history of this company. I had forgotten about this. The Modern UI is based on what's on the Zune HD, I wonder if the UI had anything to do with helping its failure.
post #162 of 168
The store in are area had about 50 people lined up and that was it. Once the store opened the line went away. So the amount of stock available was probably limited along with the amount of interested buyers.
post #163 of 168

Thurrott is likely the most conspicuous Apple hater. Why would anyone believe a thing he has to say about their products? He really has become too obnoxious to stomach!

post #164 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On one hand, I understand, DED is blatantly partisan, often in contrived ways. On the other, I think it pays to remind people of the history of this company. I had forgotten about this. The Modern UI is based on what's on the Zune HD, I wonder if the UI had anything to do with helping its failure.

I quote like the Zune 2.0 and I like Windows Phone 7/8 UI. Unfortunately both were too little too late to be a success. I wonder if the Zune was MS's first wake up call that their Windows OS dominance isn't going to propel them into every they desire.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #165 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I saw Ballmer at the CES saying that they are selling 4 x as many phones this month as last month. But 4 x what? Had the numbers been impressive, he would have done the math for us.

4 x 0 = ??

post #166 of 168

I think its reasonable to think of someone who seems only interested in throwing bombs into the discussion as a troll. I mean, the only thing an iPad is good for is Fart apps? Really?

The Surface seems to be the first really smart, creative response to the iPad to hit the market. Something original. A new vision instead of just copying, badly, the Apple approach.

It's a breath of fresh air, like when the original iPad was released.

Like anything new it needs to be refined. Maybe Microsoft's approach will be successful, but they better hurry! The inexorable push of technology is rushing everyone towards a no compromise, portable, fully connected computing experience that is really just getting started.

It's only been three years since Apple released the iPad and changed everything. Think where we'll be in another three years.

Final thought. You quoted, but did not respond to, the comment about how Microsoft advertises the Surface like its a toy. A very good point. Microsoft wants it both ways: "We're not a toy like iPad. Now watch us dance!"

post #167 of 168

The SP may be new and certainly (minus keyboard) a departure from the convertible laptops of the past decade+, but MS's idea for a tablet OS that runs legacy desktop programs is the same old thinking they've been pushing.  If they really want to move beyond just a small form factor laptop with detachable, but mostly required, keyboard, MS needs to figure out how to get touch integration (be it stylus or finger) into legacy apps along with scaling that works or a less high-res screen so you can actually see elements on the desktop.  Otherwise all they've created is the aforementioned small form factor laptop that requires keyboard and mouse.

In my opinion, the hardware should be the least of their worries right now - they need to figure out the software (OS and 3rd party) piece if they want the hardware side to survive.  

post #168 of 168
Not sure about all this MS hate fest going on. I found a vid on youtube and it looks like BB in austin had at least 100 units not counting the ones that were reserved ahead of time. Anyway looks like they were all sold within hrs or less. Also, it appears MS put out 1 million unit for this kickoff. So if everything sold out in the US within hrs, thats 1 million of these puppies!! whic is prob better than ipad sales.. at least so far. Here is the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSQ-r-8Vv38
Also, it appears that MS is currently shipping more of the 64G model and will have 128G in stores by Saturday..
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/microsoft-says-more-surface-pros-will-arrive-in-stores-by-saturday/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009