or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009 - Page 3

post #81 of 168
I'm waiting for real examples (videos preferably) of designers using Adobe CS6 (PS-Extended, AI, IN) + Lightroom 4 on the MS Surface Pro. Has anyone found any videos and/or real user reviews yet?

Considering that Adobe's CS6 and MS Office are the 2 main productivity suites and main reasons that many say the Surface is better than any iPad for productivity and *real work*. Well... prove it. 1wink.gif

Which brings me to my personal suspicion: CS6 is not going to run well at all, or be desirable to work with in the least on the Surface, with or w/o keyboard, mouse, larger monitor, pen... whatever. You certainly will be able to do a small subset of functions, but you're surely going to want a calibrated monitor and beefier processor/video card for the powerful layered tasks that Photoshop (for example) is best suited and used for.

Whether the Surface is a good tablet (or not) *today* in comparison to the iPad is mute point IMHO. Because Apple can easily scale up iOS, while Microsoft's approach is to allow developers to be lazy in regards to designing Apps and software for touch-based usage. Office as Exhibit A.

I'll say again as I did a few days ago in a post: Microsoft's tablet approach is holding software advancement & technology BACK rather than moving it forward.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #82 of 168

Surface

Why am I not surprised that an loser windows product that is under produced, under powered, oversize, and over priced would not sell out. 

 

People have been buying windows junk for decades. It's all they know.

post #83 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft has announced "amazing" customer response to its tablet/notebook hybrid Surface Pro, and reports have noted that the higher end 128GB model has sold out in some locations "immediately" after going on sale, just as the Zune HD did in 2009.

In a blog posting earlier today, the company didn't report how many units of the new Surface Pro it had sold, or even had shipped to stores, and was even careful not to imply that the "amazing" customer response was actually being reflected in any specific way, such as in indirect sales or even a quantified numbers of customers.

Let's see. Microsoft sells an undefined number of products and sell out - and it's good news (even ignoring the fact that the last time they had a product sell out, it was the Zune which never sold in significant quantities overall. Sell-outs were apparently due to low supply).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's shares were crushed by investors after the company reported its inventory sell outs and missed sales numbers over the important sales quarter.

Apple, OTOH, sells millions of iPhones and iMacs and iPads and announces the numbers of how many million they've sold. In the case of the iPhone 5, they sold double digit percentages more than any previous phone in history, but the demand was so high that even with millions in the pipeline, they couldn't keep up. And that was considered such bad news that the stock got hammered.


Is anyone still denying that there's a double standard when it comes to Apple compared to everyone else?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #84 of 168
Simply lol after reading the article 1biggrin.gif xD
post #85 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Out of curiosity. What is your definition of power user, in terms of common software tools.

Any body that does not use Office. That is my definition. Is that good enough for ya?

I hope you realize you're not making much sense.
post #86 of 168

If you've ever been in protest politics you will know "sold out" has another connotation.

 

I will believe huge queues when I see the evidence.

 

When the iPad mini launched, Apple sold 3 million iPads in 3 days, and quickly reported the numbers. Claiming huge enthusiasm with no numbers is just empty hype.

 

I've said this many times but it's worth repeating. The Surface makes no sense in ultrabook price territory. Microsoft has invented a laptop you can't use on your lap, then tried to position it as a better tablet, but at a price point where you can buy a proper computer with a proper keyboard. It will sink even faster than Zune.


What MS fans are missing is this is not a new concept. The Windows tablet platform launched more than 10 years ago with much the same feature set, down to the stylus. The only real change is Windows has advanced a few releases. A desktop OS does not work on a tablet for the vast majority of users.

 

The real issue though that damages Microsoft's chances here is Apple has established a vast market for inexpensive tablet apps. For Microsoft to compete, they would have to offer a version of Office at a price in the ballpark of the typical iOS commercial app. They can do that only if they build scale to a level that replaces the much higher margins on desktop licenses.


They would be much better off porting Office and other apps to Android and iOS, and building scale there. If they get that right, maybe consider doing their own tablet platform. But not like this. Makes. No. Sense.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
post #87 of 168
All this "news" is ridiculous, because there's no context to the claim. I still haven't seen anyone point out that Apple handles supply constraints very differently. When demand outstrips supply, it's pretty easy with Apple to still place the order and get a rather accurate answer when they will fill the order. That's a far better way to manage the situation than "we don't have anymore and we don't know when we will get any".

In addition, if the Surface Pro cannabilizes anything its other Windows PCs. It is hard to imagine that people are choosing that device versus an iPad in any measurable number. And I would remind people that Microsoft pushed tablet-based full fledged Windows machines for years and it never gained traction, so only time will tell if the conditions have changed for them. We see that their OS design hasn't.
post #88 of 168

It was Microsoft's answer to the IPod, and despite all the hate, a really good music player.  It was actually leaps beyond even what Apple and anyone else had out at the time.  It obviously never caught on.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

What the hell is a zune?

post #89 of 168

Saw this movie before. 

 

Wait 6 months and show us the numbers. 

 

Stories were (and are) everywhere about Windows Phones selling out at this or that carrier.

 

REALITY: Windows Phone has not only barely budged in share since its inception (what now seems like years ago), but it has actually been *losing* share. 

 

So, EVIDENCE, PLEASE!

 

The only lineups/crazy demand I am prepared to take as genuine at this time is anything to do with Apple. Because the demand for Apple gear is already a given, proven phenomenon. It's palpable. You can feel it - all across the industry, from pundits to Joe Consumer. Anyone else claiming Apple-like mindshare for abc or xyz product needs to go all out and PROVE IT with solid numbers (SOLD, NOT SHIPPED.)

 

Tired of all the bullshit from Apple's desperate competitors. 

post #90 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

It was Microsoft's answer to the IPod, and despite all the hate, a really good music player.  It was actually leaps beyond even what Apple and anyone else had out at the time.  It obviously never caught on.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

What the hell is a zune?

He forgot to add a "/s" tag, that's all..... it's an old joke around these parts. lol.gif

post #91 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Every app you launch, every site you visit, every magazine you read on an iPad... was built, coded, designed, buy someone on OSX of Windows... iOS is a toy, for the same reasons Crayons are not art supplies... 


yes, I rather be with the "clueless" and "trolls" who stick with OSX and a Windows Surface. I do not waste my time using a tablet with iOS, it is simply not good enough.

Partially true. Partially false. I know several professional photographers now using te iPad for all of their field work. In several cases, the final supplied art work supplied to clients for magazine publication/web work was 100% done on the iPad.

Saying iOS is only a toy and supporting it with fart app memes points to you being unimagineative or a troll. Yes, I use Windows, iOS and OS X. I use all three for real and productive work though iOS is a much better consumption device than OS X or Windows.
post #92 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm View Post

I've said this many times but it's worth repeating. The Surface makes no sense in ultrabook price territory. Microsoft has invented a laptop you can't use on your lap, then tried to position it as a better tablet, but at a price point where you can buy a proper computer with a proper keyboard. It will sink even faster than Zune.

That's somewhat overstating the case. There are a few places where the Surface Pro makes sense - mostly corporate applications. Say you have a corporate finance system that only runs on Windows PCs (or, at least, the clients only run on Windows). And now you need simple data entry in remote locations. The Surface might make sense (although mostly without the keyboard, which is odd because MS promotes it exclusively with the keyboard - which makes it a clumsy laptop rather than a tablet). Or you do presentations at trade shows and need access to specialized apps that don't run on other tablets. A tablet format makes a lot of sense for presentations because you can stand next to your observer.

Granted, I don't think either of those will lead to huge volumes, but it's not true that the Pro has NO value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm View Post

"What MS fans are missing is this is not a new concept. The Windows tablet platform launched more than 10 years ago with much the same feature set, down to the stylus. The only real change is Windows has advanced a few releases. A desktop OS does not work on a tablet for the vast majority of users.

The real issue though that damages Microsoft's chances here is Apple has established a vast market for inexpensive tablet apps. For Microsoft to compete, they would have to offer a version of Office at a price in the ballpark of the typical iOS commercial app. They can do that only if they build scale to a level that replaces the much higher margins on desktop licenses.

They would be much better off porting Office and other apps to Android and iOS, and building scale there. If they get that right, maybe consider doing their own tablet platform. But not like this. Makes. No. Sense.

Your suggestion makes sense, but it involves re-engineering themselves - something that Microsoft is very poor at. If they simply port Office to the Surface (or Android or iOS), it will be a disaster. The apps have grown so large and feature-filled, and complex that they'd be a disaster on tablets. Rather, MS should build a NEW Office from the ground up using only the features that most users need and simplifying the interface so that it's a simple, clean, tablet-read app. And they need to be prepared to sell it at the price that has become standard for tablet apps - no more than about $10 per app or $30 for the suite. If they did that, they would find themselves back on top with Office everywhere. Trying to get people to buy Surface Pro is not the way to accomplish that goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

All this "news" is ridiculous, because there's no context to the claim. I still haven't seen anyone point out that Apple handles supply constraints very differently. When demand outstrips supply, it's pretty easy with Apple to still place the order and get a rather accurate answer when they will fill the order. That's a far better way to manage the situation than "we don't have anymore and we don't know when we will get any".

In addition, if the Surface Pro cannabilizes anything its other Windows PCs. It is hard to imagine that people are choosing that device versus an iPad in any measurable number. And I would remind people that Microsoft pushed tablet-based full fledged Windows machines for years and it never gained traction, so only time will tell if the conditions have changed for them. We see that their OS design hasn't.

Agreed. As I've said before, The Surface Pro is mostly competing with laptops and the Surface RT is mostly competing with the iPad. While there's some overlap (see above), it's small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

We sold 50% of our stock in the first 3 hours, now we only have one left.

You have a future in marketing for some of these companies. That's exactly the type of stuff that many of these companies would say.

The only thing I'd change is that most of them are astute enough not to put that all in one sentence. Rather, they'd send out separate press releases for the two facts - twice the publicity and less chance that people would see through it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #93 of 168
It's pretty simple. If a company has good numbers to announce, they announce the numbers. Apple has always been quick to announce opening weekend sales on all their successful product launches. Early sales of Apple TV were just called "a hobby" because they weren't so good.

No numbers means lousy sales.
post #94 of 168

So unless the public is stupid we will see lines down the road for the surface..forget about the eco system and customer service that apple offers its all about hardware so says you...mmmm

post #95 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrombeyond View Post

It's pretty simple. If a company has good numbers to announce, they announce the numbers. Apple has always been quick to announce opening weekend sales on all their successful product launches. Early sales of Apple TV were just called "a hobby" because they weren't so good.

No numbers means lousy sales.

You got it.

 

The same explains all the Android "marketshare" as well.

post #96 of 168
ZDNET is the only major outlet that gave this POS a positive review. ZDNET calls it a "no compromise" device while every other objective review called it a "'no-compromise' device with far too many compromises". The difference between MS and Apple is that Apple actually creates no compromise devices that are the best at what they do. Apple has no trouble throwing away things like memory cards, USB ports, etc. in order to create an eminently thin, light device. MS feels that as long as their device has the "specs", people will kludge around a brick and try to re-create a desktop computing experience on tablet. MS has thus created a device that may be jack of all trades, but is certainly master of none. This is not a winning strategy.
post #97 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Rather, MS should build a NEW Office from the ground up using only the features that most users need and simplifying the interface so that it's a simple, clean, tablet-read app. And they need to be prepared to sell it at the price that has become standard for tablet apps - no more than about $10 per app or $30 for the suite. If they did that, they would find themselves back on top with Office everywhere. 

This is the key point. But doing so would mean killing off one of their two software cash cows. They can't, in other words.

 

They're in a bind, and do not know what to do get out it. The only option they really have is their own tablet that achieves iPad-like success, hence the Surface. But everything so far points to a sad, Zune-like fail.

post #98 of 168
"apple like lines" ? I guess Samsung is busy making comercials to make fun the surface pro?

Pro looks nice but not sure if I want to carry extra weight and live with short battrey life for using MS Word or other MS apps which i use only a few Times a week.
post #99 of 168
I get the sense that MS supporters are desperate in their desire to make the SP seem like it is great and the next logical step in mobile computing. The purported positive and differentiator of running legacy windows software rarely seems to be offset by the fact that they're then trying to work on an overly high res screen that requires scaling to make text and even cursor use possible, which of course also requires the use of a mouse.

And the fact that their new "laptop" doesn't work well on a lap is something that should be forgiven. Or that the weight and wide format, which is made to be used in landscape only mode, makes it a poor choice for tablet-style handheld use. Should we discuss cost? Whether it is compared to PC's or competing Apple products, it is NOT a good value, but lets just keep making excuses for MS, shall we?
post #100 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is the key point. But doing so would mean killing off one of their two software cash cows. They can't, in other words.

They're in a bind, and do not know what to do get out it. The only option they really have is their own tablet that achieves iPad-like success, hence the Surface. But everything so far points to a sad, Zune-like fail.

I don't think it's that bad. They could introduce an Office Light for tablets and continue to sell the full Office for PCs. As long as they maintain good file compatibility, that should work without damaging their cash cow.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #101 of 168

When you're only given 3 or 4 of the the things, and they "sell Out" you can claim huge customer response! sold out! working feverishly to re supply! Can this get any more pathetic. how does Ballmer keep his job?

post #102 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They could introduce an Office Light for tablets and continue to sell the full Office for PCs. As long as they maintain good file compatibility, that should work without damaging their cash cow.

But that might contradict MS's positioning of the "Surface Pro" as a fully-functional PC in tablet/touch form.

 

Also, as an aside, I am generally suspicious of apps with the suffix 'light' ('lite') attached to the name.

post #103 of 168

I am happy Apple Insider took notice of a Microsoft tablet and felt compulsion to diss on their "feature" column. Never underestimate the insecurity and longing for validation of the self proclaimed "creative" types.

post #104 of 168

c|net already has stories up about how the Surface will force Apple to create an "iPad pro" to compete.  Even though we have no information on sales or returns for Surface. lol.gif

post #105 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by morzee94 View Post

This article has been written very harshly, which is fine if it's an opinion piece but not when it is supposed to be a news piece. The PS Vita didn't do as well as sony hoped but still 7 million units is hardly a flop and by 2011 Blackberry were still selling an awful lot of Bolds especially in the UK where it is still the number one smartphone among young people which was probably why it was sold out. I'm a regular reader and Apple fan but this article's tone just seems a bit out of character of AI which is normally fair in it's editorials.

 

You criticise the article for slant, but some of what you say here yourself is total fantasy.  Besides which, the UK is practically a third world market nowadays.  Everything that's cheap is booming over there of course, but that's why Android is doing much better than Blackberry. 

post #106 of 168

Microsoft did not break out the Windows 8, or Surface RT numbers, instead they threw them in the all-inclusive Windows sales category. Same tactic the banks used in selling mortgage derivatives. I think they will do the same for the Surface Pro. Eventually these numbers that sound good, will be glossed over in Ballmer's next "Epic" speech....

post #107 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For a tablet the battery life sucks but if you compare it to the 11" MBA it does well. It's a schizophrenic device at best but when you look at the battery as a component I think you also need to look at the other components which puts it squarely up against the 11" MBA.
Well, that's why I bought the 13" Air. X^D (It's basically halfway between an iPad and the MacBook Pro, IMHumO.)

Now I'll wait for the Haswell chips before getting a Retina Macbook. I need the horsepower for my audio apps! (Live et al...)
post #108 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

 

1) If you think an iPad is for work, well - not much can be done about that.

2) I'm sure that the "limited" can feel that there is such a thing as non fart apps for an ipad (just like to some Crayons are art supplies) but I would disagree

3) Really?... that is just nonsense.

4) You missed the "geared to the common" part of my statement.

5) you did see that it comes with a full sensitive stylus (you never seen a mac being used with a Wacom?) and it is a PC so any mouse will work - I did not know you needed an i7 quad core to run Indesign, photoshop and code sites... oh wait, you do not... what you do need is an OS... so glad that the specs for specs sake has trickled down from the PC world.

Dude, get a clue.

1.  Microsoft has been losing big time because of its failures in tablet and smart phone markets.

2.  Nothing has changed. Microsoft is still stuck in PC mode and will continue to lose.

3.  Fit for work or not, MIcrosoft can only wish it had  the iOS ecosystem.

 

I believe the Surface RT and Pro devices will fail because they don't offer anything better.

People bought a few because they are curious.  All the reviewers out there can not recommend the products.  Ever wonder why?

 

Wake up and smell the coffee will ya?

post #109 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

... If they simply port Office to the Surface (or Android or iOS), it will be a disaster. The apps have grown so large and feature-filled, and complex that they'd be a disaster on tablets. Rather, MS should build a NEW Office from the ground up using only the features that most users need and simplifying the interface so that it's a simple, clean, tablet-ready app. And they need to be prepared to sell it at the price that has become standard for tablet apps - no more than about $10 per app or $30 for the suite. If they did that, they would find themselves back on top with Office everywhere. ...

 

I tend to agree with this.  I think this is exactly the strategy that Microsoft needs to take after the inevitable firing of Balmer and re-organisation of the company.  

 

The counter argument posed by some that this will "destroy one of their cash cows," is, I think, specious.  If Office was available on iOS it would not help Microsoft's tablet strategy, but their tablet "strategy" is just smoke and mirrors.  They don't really have a tablet strategy, or a desirable tablet/mobile OS.  The Surface is a hybrid laptop not a tablet, and "Metro" just isn't popular with anyone outside of businesses either.  

 

Additionally, the presence of Office on other platforms besides Windows, is not really a threat to Windows itself because Windows is pretty awful and unpopular as a consumer operating system and always has been.  It's sales and it's market share have soared *despite* it's undeniable un-popularity and un-desireability.  Most regular Windows users know this and will admit it if cornered.  Everyone knows Windows sucks, it's just "what everyone uses."

 

Windows sales are and always have been focussed on the Enterprise and on business in general.  This is Microsoft's main customer and almost everything about Windows and Office (the two cows) is aimed at those business users. This is actually their only strength moving forward.  iOS might be "catching on" in the enterprise, but only a little bit and only for casual use.  Those Windows desktops that every office is currently filled with, have amazing "stickiness."   It will be many years before those desktops could ever be replaced by OS X or iOS devices.  This is Microsoft's locked in market for the time being.  Windows PCs will continue to sell because business is their main market, not consumers. 

 

They can make an Office for consumers that runs on the latest mobile OS's without losing Windows sales because Windows sales to the consumer are already flying out the window en masse.  It's already a lost market.  

post #110 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

c|net already has stories up about how the Surface will force Apple to create an "iPad pro" to compete.  Even though we have no information on sales or returns for Surface. lol.gif

They already have it's the macbook air.

post #111 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Uh... Every car I drive was made by an assembly line. Every PC I use was assembled by a human. So cars and PCs are 'crayons' too?

Yes, you are embarrassingly clueless.

 

trust me - by your statement I'm not the clueless one.

 

Every car you drive were designed by Engeniers and Industrial designers - they were checked by electrical engeniers and built of 3d models and sometimes even clay by artist that spent years training long before it hit an assembly line.

 

That is the problem - you think the "assembly line" is where the bar is set - it is not - just like where people are using iPads to do "work" in a corporation is no where near the top of things being created of value.


Edited by agramonte - 2/10/13 at 9:48am
post #112 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

c|net already has stories up about how the Surface will force Apple to create an "iPad pro" to compete.  Even though we have no information on sales or returns for Surface. lol.gif

 

C|Net is clueless.

The Surface Pro Device is not a Pad.  It is a compromised NetBook.  

 

1.  The base OS uses too much of the flash storage.  (Compromise)

2.  The PC desktop mode requires 150% display magnification to be usable.  (Compromise)

3.  So it has the CPU of a laptop and terrible battery life...  (Compromise)

 

Take a look at the MacBook air to see why Apple will not use laptop CPU in its tablet lines.  http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Apple makes it's own SoC for the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV they will get faster and faster over time and will continue to be ARM based.

 

Time will tell.

post #113 of 168

And it will turn out to be as successful as the "Zune" as well.  LOL!!!

post #114 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

It was Microsoft's answer to the IPod, and despite all the hate, a really good music player.  It was actually leaps beyond even what Apple and anyone else had out at the time.  It obviously never caught on.

 

 

 

Or not.

http://www.wired.com/listening_post/2008/07/zune-tattoo-guy/

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #115 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

c|net already has stories up about how the Surface will force Apple to create an "iPad pro" to compete.  Even though we have no information on sales or returns for Surface. lol.gif

 

Please. Don't ever mention that MS fanboy site again.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #116 of 168
I think it will do well for its target audience. If OEMs can find a way to lower the price on these the concept may take off down the road. Me personally I do not see spending that much on on a screen that small, but I am not the target audience either.
post #117 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post


Partially true. Partially false. I know several professional photographers now using te iPad for all of their field work. In several cases, the final supplied art work supplied to clients for magazine publication/web work was 100% done on the iPad.

Saying iOS is only a toy and supporting it with fart app memes points to you being unimagineative or a troll. Yes, I use Windows, iOS and OS X. I use all three for real and productive work though iOS is a much better consumption device than OS X or Windows.

 

Yes, but non of the things I mentioned above. I have a Jot Touch I use with Procreate and it is fine - but compared to my Mac and a Wacom it is a toy - every things value is dependent on what you compare it to.

 

Yes!, iOS is a better consumption device over OSX and Windows - and Windows and OSX make for a Better productivity device over iOS. It is that simple.

post #118 of 168

good job by DED skewering the MS fans desperately clutching at straws once again to hype yet another misbegotten MS Windows Everywhere fantasy.

 

let's look at the scorecard for the year ...

 

MS Great (much hyped by web pundits) Windows 8 New Era 2012-13:

 

Windows 8 OS - Despite channel stuffing license "shipments" to OEM's, actual sales are worse than Vista, even after huge 50%-75% upgrade discounts for months (now ending). near total avoidance by businesses, and consumer PC sales have nosedived. A Big Flop, so bad that it is accelerating consumers adoption of tablets as a PC alternative.

 

XBox - New focus of MS ecosystem, but nearing end of life, and sales remain depressed (like all game consoles) due to tablet competition. Stuck In Niche

 

Windows Phone 8 - Despite all-in commitment by powerful Nokia, sales are modest at best, adding only a few % to Windows smartphone market share. Going Nowhere.

 

Surface RT Tablet - Supposedly major iPad rival, now proven DOA. Total Fail.

 

Surface Pro Tablet - All-in-one Windows miss-mash, combining the limitations of a tablet with the limitations of a notebook, at a high price to boot. Dead Man Walking.

 

Overall web pundit reaction to all this? MS is innovating the future! and Wall Street likes MS strategy, it likes it a lot.

 

now let's look at Apple ...

 

Apple's 2012 Product Cycle:

 

OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - popular, with Mac computer sales continuing modest growth (despite overall PC market decline). A Hit.

 

iPhone 5 - Refreshed hardware setting record sales. Huge Hit.

 

Apple TV - Key extension of Apple ecosystem, "hobby" product sales continue to increase steadily (actually outselling XBox). Going Someplace.

 

iPad Mini - New mid-size model is very popular. Big Hit.

 

iPad - Updated model continues to sell well. Solid.

 

Overall pundit reaction to all this? Apple has gone stale and is in trouble! and Wall Street trashes its stock.

 

 

do we see a pattern here?


Edited by Alfiejr - 2/10/13 at 11:00am
post #119 of 168
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a blog posting earlier today, the company didn't report how many units of the new Surface Pro it had sold, or even had shipped to stores, ...

 

Looking forward to hearing how many Surface Pros were actually sold in the first few days.  Apple always reports big new product sales numbers just days after their releases.

 

Are the Surface RT and Surface Pro sustainable product lines?  

Or technological collectors' items destined for the Museum of Failed Technology?

 

Got something to hide, Ballmer?  Is the word "moderate" getting worn out in Redmond?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #120 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

Please. Don't ever mention that MS fanboy site again.

Sometimes I wonder how much MS pays them to pimp it's stuff.  c|net and ZDNET are clearly the most pro-MS tech sites out there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009