or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S owners to address battery, 3G issues

Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S owners to address battery, 3G issues

post #1 of 35
Apple on Monday released iOS 6.1.1 to address a number of bugs for iPhone 4S owners who recently ran into a handful of issues following the release of iOS 6.1 for all of Apple's mobile devices.

Galaxy S III mini

The release is currently available as a direct download here (968MB) or as an over-the-air download. It's available only to iPhone 4S users.

Apple said in a knowledge base article that the update "fixes an issue that could impact cellular performance and reliability for iPhone 4S." No release was issued for iPhone 5 or other models of the handset at this time, despite claims from iPhone 5 owners that they were also negatively impacted by the iOS 6.1 update.

Two weeks after Apple released iOS 6.1, a number of iPhone 4S users began reporting battery drain and overheating issues possibly related to the update. British wireless carrier Vodafone UK even sent out a warning telling iPhone 4S owners not to upgrade to the latest OS version because the carrier determined it to cause 3G performance problems.

For instance, Apple's Support Community forum battery drain and overheating problems after applying the iOS 6.1 update.

In particular, the carrier noted that iOS 6.1 was creating intermittent problems with iPhone 4S models, causing the handsets to experience 3G-related issues with making calls, sending texts and accessing the company's data network. The reports on Apple's support forums, however, suggested that the problems may not be limited to just iPhone 4S users and may also affect iPhone 5 users to some extent.

One iPhone 5 owner saw their battery drain of 35 percent overnight, while an iPhone 3GS user said Apple's latest update actually boosted battery life. It's unclear whether Apple is separately preparing an iOS 6.1.1 update for iPhone 5 owners.

Apple released iOS 6.1 on Jan. 28, delivering feature enhancements like added LTE support.
post #2 of 35
Maybe they left some serious bugs in so that after everyone had jailbroken their devices they'd have to upgrade and lose the ability to have a jailbroken device......

Nah I'm just playing, I don't really go in for those conspiracy theory things
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #3 of 35
BS that the issues are with the iPhone 4S only. My iPhone 5 and iPad have had issues with 3G and LTE since the release of iOs 6.1

Marco Papa, Ph.D.

Adjunct Assistant Professor

Computer Science Department

University of Southern California

Marco Papa, Ph.D.

Adjunct Assistant Professor

Computer Science Department

University of Southern California

post #4 of 35
Looking forward to 6.1.2.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 35

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1: usage: 1hr, 49 min, standby: 13 hrs, 10 minutes: battery level=84% ==== and the only thing turned off is Bluetooth, I never turn off WiFi or LTE...

No battery issues here.

post #6 of 35
What is going on at Apple?
A software upgrade should not break things, especially important ones like battery life.
post #7 of 35
Does the recent jailbreak work with this version?
post #8 of 35
Five betas and it was still a buggy mess, requiring a patch barely two weeks after release.
I think it's time they go back to square one, because every iteration of iOS is buggier and more battery hungry than the last.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Five betas and it was still a buggy mess, requiring a patch barely two weeks after release.
I think it's time they go back to square one, because every iteration of iOS is buggier and more battery hungry than the last.

Not in my experience.

post #10 of 35
I have everything on here, bluetooth, wireless, etc on my 4S and never had any problems.
post #11 of 35
Umm, vodafone UK never sent me a text not to upgrade to 6.1. Arseholes...
Anyway just upgraded to 6.1.1... and awaiting for 6.1.2. 1wink.gif
post #12 of 35

Guess I'll have to wait for iPhone 5 fix then...

post #13 of 35
Odd that they used an iPhone 5 image when the update is only relavent to the 4S.
post #14 of 35
Does this have the upgraded maps for japan
post #15 of 35
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
Does this have the upgraded maps for japan

I highly doubt it, as it's just a small fix for one model of device.

post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

What is going on at Apple?
A software upgrade should not break things, especially important ones like battery life.

I don't recall any software being released problem free. Not only does Apple have to support various favors of phones, but has to support various carriers as well. It isn't until the software is in the wild that some issues pop up. 

post #17 of 35
No problems with 6.1 here. Used GPS over the weekend and reception and battery were just fine. But then, I don't have any issues with the Maps app as well.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I don't recall any software being released problem free. Not only does Apple have to support various favors of phones, but has to support various carriers as well. It isn't until the software is in the wild that some issues pop up. 

It's getting crowded.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #19 of 35

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!  My battery has been crap since the update.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, no software is bug-free. Sure they have to support various flavours, but wouldn't you think that batter life would be one of the "Holy Grails" ?

Apple, themselves mention that battery life is vitally important. I have noticed a decrease in my 4S, hopefully its just a one off.

At the end of the day, and in my opinion, Apple released an update that was "not quite ready".

Vodaphone has advised that iPhone 4S users not upgrade in the UK (I think), no advise was issued where I am, or I missed it.

The evidence that another update is in the pipeline does valaidate to some extent what I have mentioend here.

post #21 of 35
Significant improvement in battery life on my 4S on AT&T in Silicon Valley.
post #22 of 35

I have an iPhone 4 and since the latest 6.1 iOS update my wifi reception has dropped substantially - 2 or even 1 "bars" in places in the home where it was full reception. It drops out repeatedly, stopping podcast downloads.

I have both a router and a range extender and the problem exists regardless which of them the phone is connected to. It also exists if I try to connect to public wifi - completely unusable...

My 3G reception has dropped, with apps frequently timing out on connecting. Cold boots of the phone do not help.

But also, I use bluetooth headphones a lot (Nokia BH505), and the reception for them has plummeted to the point where it continually drops out even when the phone is in my shirt pocket - i.e. just 30cm from the headphones. Before the update, the reception was halfway through the house! The only place the bluetooth headphones work adequately (i.e with the phone 60cm or so away) now is inside the car - presumably the bodywork is concentrating the transmission.

I know it wasn't the headphones causing this because I thought so and took them back for exchange under warranty, and the new ones are exactly the same. Then I realised the wireless was tanking too.

So both wireless reception and bluetooth transmission strength have gone down the toilet following this iOS update.

Is Apple doing anything about this? It seems the communities are chock full of similar complaints and that for many the 6.1.1 patch even made things worse...

Also after the update, I was getting notification badge numbers about app updates being available, but the screen in AppStore app would just stay blank. Apple support came back with nothing of any help so I reset the phone and reinstalled off a backup, which fixed it. But my wife's 3GS has the same problem since she updated the iOS...

post #23 of 35
Well now my 4s is bleeding battery life. You can almost see it drop and that is in standby. So iOS 6.1.1 has really fixed things.
post #24 of 35

I updated to 6.1.1 yesterday and now cannot connect to my company's wireless system.  I get 3G but no wireless connection.

I can only assume this is linked to the update.

Has this problem been addressed by Apple and if so what can I do to correct the problem?

post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbymac View Post

I updated to 6.1.1 yesterday and now cannot connect to my company's wireless system.  I get 3G but no wireless connection.

I can only assume this is linked to the update.

Has this problem been addressed by Apple and if so what can I do to correct the problem?

Have you tried resetting your network settings? If that doesn't work have you tried backing up and then reseting the device? Often an issue with an update is caused by the update process, not the update itself.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/14/13 at 2:39pm

post #26 of 35
My wifi has not letting me use it.it stays off and won't let me slide it on since this update iOS 6.1.1. The sooner apple fixes this the better I use wifi a lot for study so it's a real pain in the ass to put it lightly. Once they fix it its gunna take a lot of hard yakka to catch up.grrrr APPLE!!!!
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo View Post

My wifi has not letting me use it.it stays off and won't let me slide it on since this update iOS 6.1.1. The sooner apple fixes this the better I use wifi a lot for study so it's a real pain in the ass to put it lightly. Once they fix it its gunna take a lot of hard yakka to catch up.grrrr APPLE!!!!

REPEAT: Have you tried resetting your network settings? If that doesn't work have you tried backing up and then reseting the device? Often an issue with an update is caused by the update process, not the update itself.

post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

REPEAT: Have you tried resetting your network settings? If that doesn't work have you tried backing up and then reseting the device? Often an issue with an update is caused by the update process, not the update itself.

I have tried it all but for some reason the wifi option still won't slide on. I even tried putting the iPhone 4S in the fridge for 1/2hr.lol
post #29 of 35
Quote:

I have tried it all but for some reason the wifi option still won't slide on. I even tried putting the iPhone 4S in the fridge for 1/2hr.lol

You plugged your iPhone into your Mac/PC, did a back up, then did a restore that would re-download iOS, wipe your iPhone, then re-install iOS?

post #30 of 35
Quote:

You plugged your iPhone into your Mac/PC, did a back up, then did a restore that would re-download iOS, wipe your iPhone, then re-install iOS?

Yep it just reinstalled the iOS 6.1.1 again and did the same thing. Unless I'm doing something wrong I would say its the iOS 6.1.1 update that's doing this problem??
post #31 of 35
But
Quote:

But I will try again.it never done it before I updated.
post #32 of 35
Quote:

Yep it just reinstalled the iOS 6.1.1 again and did the same thing. Unless I'm doing something wrong I would say its the iOS 6.1.1 update that's doing this problem??

If you've gone through those steps and you don't have Parental Control turned on for WiFi then I say get it to an Apple Store ASAP. Not even allowing you to turn WiFi on or off is a very unique issue for an iOS update so I wouldn't just wait and hope for another update in some future time to resolve it.

post #33 of 35
Quote:

If you've gone through those steps and you don't have Parental Control turned on for WiFi then I say get it to an Apple Store ASAP. Not even allowing you to turn WiFi on or off is a very unique issue for an iOS update so I wouldn't just wait and hope for another update in some future time to resolve it.

I think that's what I'll do.thanks for your help its been good to get the advice.
post #34 of 35

Thats kinda funny - my battery performance on my i4S IMPROVED after iOS6. Before I might get 40 or so hrs of Standby - now I was getting 50-55 hrs. I wonder if the upgrade will make things worse lol.

post #35 of 35

After installing the same update I am having worst problem with my iPhone 4s,only iTunes  and connection port symbol is showing on my screen and unable to operate my iPhone. Today I have called customer support team in India,they have asked me to restore and download some trouble fixer but also told me that I shall lost all my data with my iPhone. Now I am downloading the same as advised by customer support person named Mr. Nabin. God only knows what will happen next?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S owners to address battery, 3G issues
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S owners to address battery, 3G issues