or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Tim Cook to attend State of the Union Address with Michelle Obama
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tim Cook to attend State of the Union Address with Michelle Obama

post #1 of 125
Thread Starter 
It was announced on Monday that Apple CEO Tim Cook will be attending President Barack Obama's State of the Union address as a guest of First Lady Michelle Obama.

Tim Cook


Joining Cook as a guest of the First Lady will be military families, individuals who have been affected by gun violence and Bobak Ferdowski from the Mars Curiosity rover team, among others, reports the Contra Costa Times.

Cook's invitation comes after Laurene Powell Jobs, widow of late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, attended the State of the Union last year. in that address, President Obama pointed to the tech guru's ingenuity as an example of the best and brightest America has to offer.

President Obama's first State of the Union address for his second term in office will be held on Tuesday beginning at 7 p.m. Eastern.
post #2 of 125
Google must love this...
post #3 of 125

$329 says that part of Obama's speech will talk about companies bringing some manufacturing jobs back to the US, and use Apple/Cook as an example. Any takers??

 

Come on, I could use the $329 for...something.

post #4 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

$329 says that part of Obama's speech will talk about companies bringing some manufacturing jobs back to the US, and use Apple/Cook as an example. Any takers??

Come on, I could use the $329 for...something.

What exact words do you propose for this bet?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #5 of 125

yep...move great positive press for Apple! :-)

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #6 of 125
Looks like Apple will be mentioned again - Remember Apple being singled out in the presidential debate?
post #7 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sau124 View Post

Looks like Apple will be mentioned again - Remember Apple being singled out in the presidential debate?

I don't remmber...how were they mentioned?

Found one...not really positive but not a really negative...

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-10-17/business/35501732_1_second-obama-romney-debate-debate-moderator-presidential-debate

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #8 of 125
*facepalm*
post #9 of 125

*sigh* now this should be bothering people.  stay away from Washington Tim!

post #10 of 125
I'm thinking it will be all about partnering education with technology, i.e. getting an iPad into the hands of every student, teacher, administrator in the country.
post #11 of 125
Great visibility for Apple. It's amazing that Americans can't just be proud of the fact that Apple is an American company, or that we elected a President twice with no regard for the color of his skin.
post #12 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Great visibility for Apple. It's amazing that Americans can't just be proud of the fact that Apple is an American company, or that we elected a President twice with no regard for the color of his skin.

 

 

You forgot to add "in my opinion" at the end. Only one of your two statements is factual.


Edited by Apple ][ - 2/11/13 at 3:23pm
post #13 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

$329 says that part of Obama's speech will talk about companies bringing some manufacturing jobs back to the US, and use Apple/Cook as an example. Any takers??

 

I think you might be right on the money. It is a logical step for Apple to make given its huge cash reserves.

 

It would be a good example for all corporates to think more about balancing corporate economic interests (that inevitably leads to the off-shoring of jobs) with national economic interest (that should focus on on-shore job creation). The focus on corporate economic interests is a major problem in all advanced economies, not just the USA.

post #14 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

It's amazing that Americans can't just be proud of the fact that ... that we elected a President twice with no regard for the color of his skin.


We did?  I would say it's arguable it was an electoral asset....  ...not that campaigns are constrained from the narratives they choose to use, so just saying....

...and if Hillary's the Dem nominee in 2016, that too will garner more votes for an historic shift than it will cost in lost votes from misognynists....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #15 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

 

You forgot to add "in my opinion" at the end. Only one of your two statements is factual.

 

Oh, not this shit again. You do realize that there's a massive amount of people who voted AGAINST Obama because he's black, right?  If the nastiness of the last few years have proven anything, it's that racism/bigotry/xenophobia is alive and well in the US. Stop dismissing his success as something due to his skin color- it's cowardly and cheap. 


Edited by Slurpy - 2/11/13 at 3:57pm
post #16 of 125

Remember when John Sculley attended that State of the Union address in the early 1990's?

 

Nothing good ever comes from things like this.

post #17 of 125
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post
Remember when John Sculley attended that State of the Union address in the early 1990's?

 

Nothing good ever comes from things like this.

 

"I saw Tim Cook down yonder at the Piggly-Wiggly. Nothin' good ever came from shoppin' on you's own…"

 

1rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #18 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"I saw Tim Cook down yonder at the Piggly-Wiggly. Nothin' good ever came from shoppin' on you's own…"

 

1rolleyes.gif

 



Well, sir, IIRC this was just before Sculley got dismissed from Apple.  Not to mention it's a Bad Thing for non-politicians to be playing with politics in the first place.

 

Too bad moderators can't be blocked.  1rolleyes.gif indeed.

post #19 of 125

I think it's pretty safe to say the number of people who voted for Obama because of his skin color vastly outweighs those who voted against him for that same reason.

post #20 of 125
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post
Well, sir, IIRC this was just before Sculley got dismissed from Apple.  Not to mention it's a Bad Thing for non-politicians to be playing with politics in the first place.

 

Oh come off it. Pretending that there is any cause and effect here is nonsense.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #21 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

*sigh* now this should be bothering people.  stay away from Washington Tim!

Unfortunately, you need to play the game. Apple is a big company, and big companies need to be in good favor with whoever is in power. That's why Cook met with Speaker Boehner last year and is a guest of Obama this year. If you don't play the game, your competitors will and will use political leverage (antitrust pressure, special tax favors etc) against you.
post #22 of 125

Cooke handing out iPad mini's and energy bars as the representatives enter the auditorium.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #23 of 125
He has to make nice with Washington as much as he can. Plus maybe he voted for him and just wanted to go. No big deal either way.
post #24 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155911/tim-cook-to-attend-state-of-the-union-address-with-michelle-obama#post_2275831"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Great visibility for Apple. It's amazing that Americans can't just be proud of the fact that Apple is an American company, or that we elected a President twice with no regard for the color of his skin.

You forgot to add "in my opinion" at the end. Only one of your two statements is factual.

Yeah, I agree: he should used the word "despite" with regard to a bunch of voters like you, instead of "no regard for".....
post #25 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think it's pretty safe to say the number of people who voted for Obama because of his skin color vastly outweighs those who voted against him for that same reason.

Provide evidence or please shut up.
post #26 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Oh, not this shit again. You do realize that there's a massive amount of people who voted AGAINST Obama because he's black, right?  If the nastiness of the last few years have proven anything, it's that racism/bigotry/xenophobia is alive and well in the US. Stop dismissing his success as something due to his skin color- it's cowardly and cheap. 

 

I agree with you, this poster has major issues with just about everyone.

Why he hasn't been banned, is one of the mysteries of life.

post #27 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Provide evidence or please shut up.

 

LOL !  You want him/her to go around the US and poll people ?  How else can the "evidence" be provided.

How about thinking before your reflexes take over your brain. Telling some one to shut up is insulting, and confirms my negative feelings about you as a person.

post #28 of 125

I am of the opinion that Cook's attendence is nothing but a "photo opportunity" to mingle next to the US President.

I guess this is Apple PR department going hell-bent to paint Apple in a good light after all the negative publicity (unfairly) that has been shoved at its door.

post #29 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I am of the opinion that Cook's attendence is nothing but a "photo opportunity" to mingle next to the US President.
I guess this is Apple PR department going hell-bent to paint Apple in a good light after all the negative publicity (unfairly) that has been shoved at its door.

So you're saying that Apple PR called Michelle's office and begged for an invitation for Tim?

More likely, in my opinion, this has to do with education for the future using technology like Apple's, as well as lauding home grown innovation for turning on the world. As was noted above.

Tim Cook just leads the world's most valuable company, and it got that way by doing things like improving education. He belongs right there beside "the better half" of this highly motivated couple. I don't think he had to ask for an invite.

By the way, I voted for him for just this sort of reason. Not Tim, Obama.
post #30 of 125
Suppose he'll talk about how many new gay employees he has hired this year?
BTW, the picture above is freakish. Looks like his head is just floating there...
post #31 of 125

Steve Jobs hated Obama's business hostility and told him he'd be a 1-term president. Yet, he still sat down and had dinner with the President. Someone said earlier that you have to play the game. I agree. There are educational goals as well as repatriation ideas that deserve to be voiced by all parties.

 

I hate that racism is bandied about so easily by those on the left. If we are a racist country, we are doing a very poor job of it. (Ironically, the black iPhone was first and it took a long time before Apple introduced the white one. Tongue deeply in cheek.)

 

Being labeled racist is easily as offensive as racism itself.

 

I just had a thought. I saw some doctor on a viral video that gave a speech with Obama present. He spoke out against high taxes and Obamacare with Obama looking pretty uncomfortable. I don't think Cook has Jobs' brass balls to do something like that. He seems too gentlemanly.

post #32 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Provide evidence or please shut up.

Ah, I see you didn't request the same for this comment:

 

"You do realize that there's a massive amount of people who voted AGAINST Obama because he's black, right?  If the nastiness of the last few years have proven anything, it's that racism/bigotry/xenophobia is alive and well in the US. Stop dismissing his success as something due to his skin color- it's cowardly and cheap. "

 

How come?

post #33 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah, I see you didn't request the same for this comment:

 

"You do realize that there's a massive amount of people who voted AGAINST Obama because he's black, right?  If the nastiness of the last few years have proven anything, it's that racism/bigotry/xenophobia is alive and well in the US. Stop dismissing his success as something due to his skin color- it's cowardly and cheap. "

 

How come?

Actually, that's a fair question.

 

I had thought about doing so, but then judged that his statement was an empirically correct one with very high likelihood. Why? It would be true even if a few million people voted against him because of 'race', which, even though it's a 'massive' number would be a small proportion of people who actually voted. Second, that statement would be true also for those who voted for him because of his race (although, I'll admit that's not the way he intended it). Third, your own post implicitly acknowledges this premise!

 

The problem with your statement was that you were making a relative comparison between one type of 'racist' versus another -- i.e., you were claiming that the number that voted for him because of race outnumbers the number that voted against him because of his race -- and that, unfortunately, requires empirical support.

post #34 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, that's a fair question.

 

I had thought about doing so, but then judged that his statement was an empirically correct one with very high likelihood. Why? It would be true even if a few million people voted against him because of 'race', which, even though it's a 'massive' number would be a small proportion of people who actually voted. Second, that statement would be true also for those who voted for him because of his race (although, I'll admit that's not the way he intended it). Third, your own post implicitly acknowledges this premise!

 

The problem with your statement was that you were making a relative comparison between one type of 'racist' versus another -- i.e., you were claiming that the number that voted for him because of race outnumbers the number that voted against him because of his race -- and that, unfortunately, requires empirical support.

 

Look at the 2008 democratic primary,  African-Americans overwhelmingly voted for Obama over Hillary Clinton.  In some states Obama received 90%+ of the African American vote.  Considering the ideology of Obama and Clinton are very similar it's hard not to chalk that up to voting based on race.  Clinton didn't receive 90% of the white vote.
post #35 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Great visibility for Apple. It's amazing that Americans can't just be proud of the fact that Apple is an American company, or that we elected a President twice with no regard for the color of his skin.


LOL,  two comments.   FIrst, I think he got elected BECAUSE of the color of his skin.  Secondly, hard to be proud when we elected a President twice with no regard for his experience or ability to do the job.

post #36 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Oh, not this shit again. You do realize that there's a massive amount of people who voted AGAINST Obama because he's black, right?  If the nastiness of the last few years have proven anything, it's that racism/bigotry/xenophobia is alive and well in the US. Stop dismissing his success as something due to his skin color- it's cowardly and cheap. 


Sorry, but that is just plain ignoring the facts.   Folks voted against him because he has been the absolute worst US President in modern history.  He came to the job with ZERO experience, was voted in BECAUSE he was articulate and in some cases because he was black.     It is not racism to disagree with a President who shows not clue as to how to run a small business, let alone the largest economy in the world.   EVERY FACT SUPPORTS THAT!   We are not in the worst recovery in the history of the United States.  His only answer is "it would have been worse"  LOL

post #37 of 125

Welcome to PO. Seemed better than to just delete the entire thread… 

 

Though why we think such discussion is even needed (or would solve anything) here is beyond me.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #38 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, that's a fair question.

 

I had thought about doing so, but then judged that his statement was an empirically correct one with very high likelihood. Why? It would be true even if a few million people voted against him because of 'race', which, even though it's a 'massive' number would be a small proportion of people who actually voted. Second, that statement would be true also for those who voted for him because of his race (although, I'll admit that's not the way he intended it). Third, your own post implicitly acknowledges this premise!

 

The problem with your statement was that you were making a relative comparison between one type of 'racist' versus another -- i.e., you were claiming that the number that voted for him because of race outnumbers the number that voted against him because of his race -- and that, unfortunately, requires empirical support.

 

Look at the 2008 democratic primary,  African-Americans overwhelmingly voted for Obama over Hillary Clinton.  In some states Obama received 90%+ of the African American vote.  Considering the ideology of Obama and Clinton are very similar it's hard not to chalk that up to voting based on race.  Clinton didn't receive 90% of the white vote.

 

 

 

Your argument is flawed. Obama received 93% of the black vote in 2012 and 95% in 2008. But look back just one election prior, in 2004, when John Kerry took 88% of the black vote. Historically African Americans vote overwhelmingly Democratic. So the difference is 5-8% more of the black vote for Obama. The black vote only makes up about 13% of the countries total voting population. 5-8% of 13% equals >1% of the entire voting population. So even if that percentage difference was entirely motivated by racial preference for Obama, which would be categorically wrong, it is such an insignificant number compared to the margins of both Obama's victories.

 

Math is our friend here. Obama didn't win because he is black.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #39 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

*sigh* now this should be bothering people.  stay away from Washington Tim!

 

*like*

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #40 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

He has to make nice with Washington as much as he can.

 

If that's true (and it probably is) it's a sad testimony to the current state of affairs.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Tim Cook to attend State of the Union Address with Michelle Obama