or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Intel confirms: Online TV service in the works, set for 2013 launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel confirms: Online TV service in the works, set for 2013 launch

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Chipmaking powerhouse Intel revealed on Tuesday its plans to roll out an online television service later this year, a move that could bring it into direct competition with Apple, which is also expected to launch a television product in the near future.

Speaking with AllThingsD, Intel Media corporate vice president Erik Huggers confirmed months-old rumors that an Intel-powered set-top box and accompanying TV service are on the way. The team building the platform, Huggers revealed, was composed of personnel hired away from an array of tech luminaries.

Apple TV
Intel will soon take on Apple in the alternative set-top segment with its own device.


"We've been working for about a year now to set up a group called Intel Media. It's a new division with new people ? people [we've hired] from Apple, Netflix, and Google."

Rumors of an Intel-powered box have been around for months, but picked up steam late last year, with the company expected to reveal its set-top solution during January's Consumer Electronics Show. The device failed to materialize at CES, but Tuesday's news conforms largely to what was expected of Intel.

Intel's offering will be centered around a set-top box and cable content packages. Intel is still negotiating the latter element with content providers, but it is expected that the packages will be smaller bundles than those customers currently receive from the cable companies. Those bundles are expected to be more tailored to consumers' own preferences.

The set-top box itself is also said to have an integrated camera, allowing for gesture-based controls as well as targeting ads directly toward users based on what the camera "sees" in the room.

Rolling out its own set top box and content service is a considerable departure from the norm for Intel. Typically, the company has been content to feature its products in the computers of much of the PC industry. That strategy, which led to $53.3 billion in revenue for 2012, may begin flagging in the coming years as the PC market continues to falter and consumers increasingly move to mobile devices, a segment Intel has struggled to enter.

Moving instead into providing its own set-top box will bring Intel into direct and indirect competition with not only the cable providers, but firms such as Samsung, LG, and Google, as well as Apple, which is widely rumored to be considering a disruptive leap into the television sector.

While the former three companies have seen varying degrees of success with Google TV and other Smart TV offerings, Apple's Apple TV has moved from niche product to "an area of intense interest" for the company. Speaking on the issue of television in general, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company believes it can contribute a lot to the space.
post #2 of 43
All the pieces are lining up.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #3 of 43
Intel has proven itself to not be a very trustworthy partner.

First, they subsidized Apple's competitors to make MacBook Air clones. Now, they're going to compete directly with Apple.

Apple should really see what AMD can do for them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The set-top box itself is also said to have an integrated camera, allowing for gesture-based controls as well as targeting ads directly toward users based on what the camera "sees" in the room.
 

 

Holy crap, that sounds like something that I would definitely not want in my room or anywhere in my residence.

 

Isn't it enough that everybody is continuously monitored on the internet, with targeted ads, tons of cookies getting stored, google and facebook checking on your every move, and now somebody wants to have a live camera looking into somebody's room?lol.gif

post #5 of 43
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Apple should really see what AMD can do for them.


Give worse chips on a worse platform?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155937/intel-confirms-online-tv-service-in-the-works-set-for-2013-launch#post_2276495"]
Holy crap, that sounds like something that I would definitely not want in my room or anywhere in my residence.

Isn't it enough that everybody is continuously monitored on the internet, with targeted ads, tons of cookies getting stored, google and facebook checking on your every move, and now somebody wants to have a live camera looking into somebody's room?lol.gif

Exactly what I was thinking.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All the pieces are lining up.

I would think so as well. Hopefully whatever Intel negotiated with the studios and networks can be improved upon when it's Apple turn.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155937/intel-confirms-online-tv-service-in-the-works-set-for-2013-launch#post_2276495"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The set-top box itself is also said to have an integrated camera, allowing for gesture-based controls as well as targeting ads directly toward users based on what the camera "sees" in the room.

 

Holy crap, that sounds like something that I would definitely not want in my room or anywhere in my residence.

Isn't it enough that everybody is continuously monitored on the internet, with targeted ads, tons of cookies getting stored, google and facebook checking on your every move, and now somebody wants to have a live camera looking into somebody's room?lol.gif

I can think of a gesture I would like to give to this concept.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Holy crap, that sounds like something that I would definitely not want in my room or anywhere in my residence.

 

Isn't it enough that everybody is continuously monitored on the internet, with targeted ads, tons of cookies getting stored, google and facebook checking on your every move, and now somebody wants to have a live camera looking into somebody's room?lol.gif


My initial thought was the same, but it will probably be a feature that can be toggled on and off. Which then makes it similar to the camera on most of our other devices.

post #10 of 43
"The set-top box itself is also said to have an integrated camera, ... targeting ads directly toward users based on what the camera "sees" in the room."

So George Orwell's 1984 was right :-(

OS X and iOS user

Reply

OS X and iOS user

Reply
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Intel has proven itself to not be a very trustworthy partner.

First, they subsidized Apple's competitors to make MacBook Air clones. Now, they're going to compete directly with Apple.

Apple should really see what AMD can do for them.

Or Apple directly with them since they are first to market, and has Apple announced anything? Is Intel or anyone else Apple does business with not do anything at all because Apple might eventually do it?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #12 of 43
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The set-top box itself is also said to have an integrated camera, allowing for gesture-based controls as well as targeting ads directly toward users based on what the camera "sees" in the room.

 

Yeah, that won't be making it into an Apple equivalent of this device…

 

And what is making me think that the processing power needed for this level of object recognition doesn't exist yet? Meaning… humans reviewing footage… 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #13 of 43

The whole camera/privacy thing just reeks of google.

Thumbs down to Intel.

 

edit: Including targeting of ads - genius. People are gonna snap these up alright. NOT

post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, that won't be making it into an Apple equivalent of this device…

And what is making me think that the processing power needed for this level of object recognition doesn't exist yet? Meaning… humans reviewing footage… 

They'd have to hire an army of people to review all the footage.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Give worse chips on a worse platform?

 

Not hardly: GCD and OpenCL on AMD GPGPUs with the upcoming R600 Target branch, not to mention Apple's own contributions would scream on the AMD FX-8350 Vishera and trounce on Steamroller.

 

The wafer size drop for the new Vishera and the upcoming line closes the TDP gap between Intel and expands the Multi-threading/Core scalability that Intel knows it can't match doesn't help with FinFET 14nm and 20nm wafers AMD will move to [even down to 14nm already tested by GF/TSMC], all while the vaunted Integer gap will drop dramatically.

 

In short, OS advances are moving to a full-on Parallel Model in distributed computing, including the ARM embedded space. AMD with its tightly coupled relationship with ARM developing hybrid SeaMicro brand AMD Opeteron/ARM64/RadeonGPGPU hybrid Heterogenous Systems Architecture [http://hsafoundation.com/] platform is making it clear that Intel cannot count on Apple to stick to their approaches.

 

If you notice, all of Apple's iOS partners are on-board with HSA.

 

Any application that is fully multi-threaded and OpenCL aware screams on Vishera and surpasses the Ivy i7 3770k, at nearly 1/3rd the price.

 

The only caveat is Hypertransport, but seeing as Apple co-developed it I imagine that bus architecture won't be a problem for them, or their 3rd party app developers as they won't have to adapt their applications to it.

 

I'd love to see Apple buy a stake into AMD like it did with ARM. Their cost of products would naturally drop.

 

------------

 

On the Windows 8 Tablet front, Vizio is passing on Intel and has signed on fully with AMD and their solutions. Citing better performance in graphics and battery life as two big wins. With that and the upcoming PS 4 and XBox  720 using AMD CPUs and GPUs it's going to be a big year for AMD.


Edited by mdriftmeyer - 2/12/13 at 2:11pm
post #16 of 43

Object recognition is here already and sophisticated too - all international airports use it. Quite a few domestic ones as well.

post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Object recognition is here already and sophisticated too - all international airports use it. Quite a few domestic ones as well.

And have you seen the hardware they use? It's not a tiny little camera.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #18 of 43

Yes of course. I don't think for one minute that the object recognition could approach the sophistication of airport scanners. But in principle general shapes are not hard to match.

 

Whatever, I think it's an ill-founded idea and a complete invasion of privacy.

post #19 of 43

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/5/13 at 3:23pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Or Apple directly with them since they are first to market, and has Apple announced anything? Is Intel or anyone else Apple does business with not do anything at all because Apple might eventually do it?

No one ever said anything like that.

It is, however, disgusting that every time Apple does something, the entire industry scrambles to make exact copies.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Object recognition is here already and sophisticated too - all international airports use it. Quite a few domestic ones as well.

Yeah, and my family room is like an airport waiting area..... /s

post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No one ever said anything like that.

It is, however, disgusting that every time Apple does something, the entire industry scrambles to make exact copies.

And what has Apple done that everyone is scrambling to copy? Roku was out way before ATV and as a standalone device it is far superior.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


No one ever said anything like that.

It is, however, disgusting that every time Apple does something, the entire industry scrambles to make exact copies.

 

There isn't really anything to copy unless you count rumors. You probably read more about Apple than other brands, so you're more likely to be exposed to rumors regarding Apple's projects than anything else. You have no idea what companies may concurrently have in their own respective pipelines. Even with something like the ultrabooks, intel wouldn't concentrate on low power chips without a large enough market or potential market for a company the size of intel. You are just a very spiteful person.

post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The set-top box itself is also said to have an integrated camera, allowing for gesture-based controls as well as targeting ads directly toward users based on what the camera "sees" in the room.

Screw you, Intel.

post #25 of 43

HJYVW XR BQZ PYJJNJ, YWVNJOPXR BQOB MNX OJZ! OVA BOSZ UOJZ VNB BN UNVBOPYVOBZ BQZ WKORR LYBQ BQZ JZEKZUBYNV NE MNXJ FYROWZ RQSR

 

Solution?

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And what has Apple done that everyone is scrambling to copy? Roku was out way before ATV and as a standalone device it is far superior.

1) The Apple TV beat Roku to market by more than a year.

2) With the standalone device qualifier I agree with you but I don't agree with any implication that a standalone device is better. I love technology for it's ability to eschew old tech and absorb new tech. In no small part this is what makes Apple's product such a treat for me.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #27 of 43
Netflix has it right when it comes to online TV. Any device. Anywhere. Anytime. Fixed price. And the Netflix exclusive content is slowly getting better.

I don't see anybody offering anything similar yet. Paying for TV shows is pointless. Costs are too high. And the bill is highly variable.
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) The Apple TV beat Roku to market by more than a year.

2) With the standalone device qualifier I agree with you but I don't agree with any implication that a standalone device is better. I love technology for it's ability to eschew old tech and absorb new tech. In no small part this is what makes Apple's product such a treat for me.

Yes you're correct but it wasn't a media streamer until 2010. A standalone device is better for someone who doesn't want to buy multiple devices. Whenever I'm asked for advice on CE I almost always recommend going with Apple but always recommend Roku over a ATV.
Edited by dasanman69 - 2/12/13 at 3:54pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

There isn't really anything to copy unless you count rumors. You probably read more about Apple than other brands, so you're more likely to be exposed to rumors regarding Apple's projects than anything else. You have no idea what companies may concurrently have in their own respective pipelines. Even with something like the ultrabooks, intel wouldn't concentrate on low power chips without a large enough market or potential market for a company the size of intel. You are just a very spiteful person.

What the heck are you babbling about? Nothing to copy unless you count the rumors?

Did you even read the two examples I gave:
1. Apple releases the MacBook Air which catches on and completely redefines its segment. Intel then created a reference design that was a near exactly copy of the MBA - and paid OEMs to use it.

2. Apple has been selling AppleTV for years. Intel just confirmed that they're making something that sure behaves just about like the Apple TV.

So what spitefulness are you referring to? There's no spite in my post at all - just a statement of fact.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And what has Apple done that everyone is scrambling to copy? Roku was out way before ATV and as a standalone device it is far superior.

Nope. Not even close.

Apple previewed the AppleTV in Sept, 2006 and started shipping the following March.

The Roku streaming video player was announced on May 20, 2008 - and started shipping some time later.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nope. Not even close.

Apple previewed the AppleTV in Sept, 2006 and started shipping the following March.

The Roku streaming video player was announced on May 20, 2008 - and started shipping some time later.

And how different is that ATV to the current one? It wasn't able to stream anything from iTunes, Netflix, etc until 2010.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

HJYVW XR BQZ PYJJNJ, YWVNJOPXR BQOB MNX OJZ! OVA BOSZ UOJZ VNB BN UNVBOPYVOBZ BQZ WKORR LYBQ BQZ JZEKZUBYNV NE MNXJ FYROWZ RQSR


Solution?


BRING US THE MIRROR, IGNORAMUS THAT YOU ARE! AND TAKE CARE NOT TO CONTAMINATE THE GLASS WITH THE REFLECTION OF YOUR VISAGE.

That is much harder to do with a text editor than with the newspaper and a pencil.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


What the heck are you babbling about? Nothing to copy unless you count the rumors?

Did you even read the two examples I gave:
1. Apple releases the MacBook Air which catches on and completely redefines its segment. Intel then created a reference design that was a near exactly copy of the MBA - and paid OEMs to use it.

2. Apple has been selling AppleTV for years. Intel just confirmed that they're making something that sure behaves just about like the Apple TV.
 

 

You know I really should have explained better to ensure proper context. First when you talked about scrambling, I took it in the context of a future television product here. Apple isn't the only one with the Apple TV. The Roku is the other one that's frequently mentioned. Other brands have experimented with concepts such as smart TVs. Concepts exist in the wild, and there is no reason to think that others couldn't exist in various R&D phases within different companies. As for intel, they don't like to be cut out of any class of devices. It takes a certain number of orders to overcome fixed costs associated with chip development, especially with ever shrinking processes. I assume they want as wide a net as possible. In the case of their ultrabook marketing, those chips may not have received the same level of R&D priority if Apple was the only major customer.

 

Quote:

So what spitefulness are you referring to? There's no spite in my post at all - just a statement of fact.

 

 

Whenever the topic of intel comes up, you become very angry, regardless of what they're making.

post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Nope. Not even close.

Apple previewed the AppleTV in Sept, 2006 and started shipping the following March.

The Roku streaming video player was announced on May 20, 2008 - and started shipping some time later.

I'm also not disputing this either. I'm saying that Apple isn't the only one that exists in the market of augmenting television. I suspected MS intended to go that direction as well when the Xbox 360 was announced. Sony marketed the PS3 as a combination of console and blu-ray player. With the popularity of streaming, I assumed they'd approach that market as well.

post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And how different is that ATV to the current one? It wasn't able to stream anything from iTunes, Netflix, etc until 2010.

So? You claimed that Roku was on the market before Apple TV. You were wrong. Your attempts to divert everyone from the fact that you were wrong aren't going to get you anywhere.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes you're correct but it wasn't a media streamer until 2010. A standalone device is better for someone who doesn't want to buy multiple devices. Whenever I'm asked for advice on CE I almost always recommend going with Apple but always recommend Roku over a ATV.

1) You stated "Roku was out way before ATV."

2) The Apple TV was streaming when it arrived. You could either store media on it locally or stream. Changing some point to say that you meant Netflix streaming or XBOX live streaming or whatever it can do is a completely different argument. Was Netflix even streaming back in 2007 when the Apple TV launched?

3) I recommend the Ruko to people, too. I've even talked several people out of buying the Apple TV because I know what kind of setup they had. Differences in functionality are heavily based on the type of user you are so despite the Apple TV's smoother interface I do recommend it if they don't have other Apple products.

4) I think we all know that Ruko was the first device to have Netflix streaming. That deal was how Roku made a name for themselves.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/12/13 at 5:25pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So? You claimed that Roku was on the market before Apple TV. You were wrong. Your attempts to divert everyone from the fact that you were wrong aren't going to get you anywhere.

I admit I was mistaken but it doesn't negate everything else I was right about.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) You stated "Roku was out way before ATV."

2) The Apple TV was streaming when it arrived. You could either store media on it locally or stream. Changing some point to say that you meant Netflix streaming or XBOX live streaming or whatever it can do is a completely different argument. Was Netflix even streaming back in 2007 when the Apple TV launched?

3) I recommend the Ruko to people, too. I've even talked several people out of buying the Apple TV because I know what kind of setup they had. Differences in functionality are heavily based on the type of user you are so despite the Apple TV's smoother interface I do recommend it if they don't have other Apple products.

4) I think we all know that Ruko was the first device to have Netflix streaming. That deal was how Roku made a name for themselves.

Actually the Roku was developed by Netflix and was supposed to be a Netflix branded device. Late in the development the CEO decided to separate the company from it so that others would choose the device for their streaming options. The point is was trying to make was that this is one time I don't believe companies are copying Apple.
Edited by dasanman69 - 2/12/13 at 6:20pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #39 of 43
Now that is diversification!
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nope. Not even close.

Apple previewed the AppleTV in Sept, 2006 and started shipping the following March.

The Roku streaming video player was announced on May 20, 2008 - and started shipping some time later.

Functionally I am not sure if they copied, but visually most of these streaming devices seem to look like a hockey puck a la the Apple TV 2 and 3.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Intel confirms: Online TV service in the works, set for 2013 launch