or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Staples to start selling Apple products in U.S., executive says [u]

Staples to start selling Apple products in U.S., executive says [u]

post #1 of 24
Office supply chain Staples will start selling Apple products in its U.S. stores sometime in the near future, according to a company senior vice president.

iPad mini

Update: Mulot has deleted the original tweet regarding Apple product sales, but other Staples executives' posts remain on the microblogging site.

In a tweet from Staples' Senior Vice President of Global Human Resources Regis Mulot, the chain will begin stocking Apple devices in U.S. locations soon.

After Canada,

#Apple products arecoming to #Staples in US. Great news!? Regis Mulot (@FrenchHR) February 15, 2013

Along with Mulot's comment, a number of employees who were at a corporate meeting on Thursday also tweeted out the news. While it is unclear what products Staples will bring to its U.S. stores, the company already carries Apple's wares in Canada.

Other executives chimed in with their own tweets, including Staples Strategic Accounts Coordinator Erin LaFlamme and Field Services Manager Mike Goggin:

February 14, 2013

February 14, 2013

AppleInsider has reached out to Staples and will update this story when we know more.
post #2 of 24
So Apple stock can drop another few points.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #3 of 24
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Office supply chain Staples is rumored to start selling Apple products in its U.S. stores in the near future, according to a company senior vice president.

Apple products....yeah we got that.......

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #4 of 24
Ugh. Staples is a terrible company. This will only do damage to the Apple brand.
post #5 of 24
Just wait until tomorrow when he tweets an apology because not only is the US rollout not happening nei is Canada. Because due doesn't understand what 'confidential don't freaking talk about it' means and apple cut the deal due to breach of contract.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #6 of 24

Next stop, Radio Shack! Oops, already there. Walmart? Already there.

McDonald's Happy Meals? Soon.

post #7 of 24
Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Ugh. Staples is a terrible company. This will only do damage to the Apple brand.

Lol.. That's a ridiculous sentiment. How the hell would it do damage to the brand? U know apple products are sold at Walmart and shoppers drug Mart, right? The more the better. This is a good thing.
post #8 of 24

Staples.  LOL.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #9 of 24

This is great news for me. I'm a Staples Premier customer, so I can trade in 20 ink cartridges per month ($2/cart, $40 a month in Staples Rewards). That's $480/year that I can use to buy Apple products. Plus, they run all kinds of promotions during the year where you can get 20% back in Rewards on purchases and 100% back in Rewards on certain items.

And before you ask, I go to eBay and buy a [Lot] of 400 ink empty cartridges for $60 and use those to trade in. Make my money back in two months and receive well over a year's worth of $40/month rewards in return.

post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This is great news for me. I'm a Staples Premier customer, so I can trade in 20 ink cartridges per month ($2/cart, $40 a month in Staples Rewards). That's $480/year that I can use to buy Apple products. Plus, they run all kinds of promotions during the year where you can get 20% back in Rewards on purchases and 100% back in Rewards on certain items.

And before you ask, I go to eBay and buy a [Lot] of 400 ink empty cartridges for $60 and use those to trade in. Make my money back in two months and receive well over a year's worth of $40/month rewards in return.

If you're getting $40 per month regularly that's a great score. If they sell Macs you can definitely build up a nice reserve before you're ready to buy your next RMBP. How long does the credit stay on your account? I assume indefinitely.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you're getting $40 per month regularly that's a great score. If they sell Macs you can definitely build up a nice reserve before you're ready to buy your next RMBP. How long does the credit stay on your account? I assume indefinitely.

If you're just a regular Staples Rewards customer, you can only trade in 10 cartridges per month ($20) and the Rewards expire two months after being issued. If you are a Staples Premier customer, you can trade in 20 cartridges ($40) and the rewards expire 5 months after they are issued.

post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If you're just a regular Staples Rewards customer, you can only trade in 10 cartridges per month ($20) and the Rewards expire two months after being issued. If you are a Staples Premier customer, you can trade in 20 cartridges ($40) and the rewards expire 5 months after they are issued.

Two months and 5 months? I was assuming it was more like a gift card that one purchases with money. Obviously a poor assumption on my part. $200 toward an iPhone or iPad would be a pretty big dent. Can you use it to buy iTunes GC's they sell or are there restrictions on what merchandise the credit can go toward?

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Two months and 5 months? I was assuming it was more like a gift card that one purchases with money. Obviously a poor assumption on my part. $200 toward an iPhone or iPad would be a pretty big dent. Can you use it to buy iTunes GC's they sell or are there restrictions on what merchandise the credit can go toward?

Staples is kinda wonky with respect to buying gift cards and using Rewards. You can't use Rewards to buy gift cards in-store, but you can purchase them online. Just today, I cashed in $80 in Rewards for a $50 VISA gift card (plus the stupid activation fee) and a $25 Starbucks gift card. You can also buy iTunes gift cards online from Staples using your Rewards.

Edited by Mazda 3s - 2/14/13 at 9:48pm
post #14 of 24
That was easy
post #15 of 24
That was easy! Though MacCentric beat me to it. Guess another don't quit your day job moment, huh stell?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #16 of 24

Surprised this isn't already the case, as they are already carried in Canada.  Since when does Canada get something before the USA?

1hmm.gif1smoking.gif

post #17 of 24
I assume that with all this competition the prices of Apple products will come down?
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

I assume that with all this competition the prices of Apple products will come down?

They already did! The RMBP came down in price a few days ago
post #19 of 24
Quote:

Bad assumption. Particularly if you are basing it off reseller pricing. Companies like Staples are more than happy to sell highly visible items at cost or even a loss to get butts in stores. Apple knows this and doesn't adjust for such things. They do adjust (price, spec, sometimes both) due to prices of components coming down, such as what happen with the rMBP. 

post #20 of 24
Quote:

No Apple has a contract with all retail partners, they have to charge what Apple tells them to, if a retailer (not including the Apple Stores) want to issue a discount, they have to pay Apple the full retail price per unit.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Surprised this isn't already the case, as they are already carried in Canada.  Since when does Canada get something before the USA?
1hmm.gif1smoking.gif
Their are more Apple Stores in the US than in Canada, Apple needed more way to get their products informs of buyers in Canada so Staples got a deal their. But after years of begging, Apple finally decided to let them sell their products in the United States
post #22 of 24
Sounds like a really bad idea. I don't remember ever having dealt with a Staple's salesperson who wasn't a complete imbecile.

Maybe it would be ok if it were just iPads, but MacBooks...no way. Staples will produce too many befuddled and unhappy Mac users.
post #23 of 24

What competition? How is giving product to a new reseller "competition"?

post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Agreed. I was at Staples last night and saw two Microsoft Surface units on display. Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to pick up one unit. My curiosity was rewarded with an embarrassment alarm. I set it back down after a few seconds of ear piercing noise, since no Staples employee thought it necessary to deal with it, and walked away. Essentially, Staples and Microsoft lost a customer due to not having the slightest clue about encouraging customer interest in the product. It's a HANDHELD device; why is it affixed by a MOTION SENSING security cable?

UPDATE: I just checked Staples company contact form at their website. It's impossible to send a complaint about the store without giving them name, phone #, email address AND customer number! Customer number?? I was there with a friend and I didn't buy anything (partially because the things I wanted to check out were booby trapped). So my description of my store experience doesn't mean a thing to them.
Edited by dysamoria - 2/15/13 at 11:02am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Staples to start selling Apple products in U.S., executive says [u]