or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says

Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says

post #1 of 79
Fresh information from the Chitika ad network points to a near 50/50 split when comparing the North American web share of Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III, but overall, iOS devices still account for a majority of the market.

Comparison
Source: Chitika Insights

While the iPhone 5 still has a slight lead over the Galaxy S III, Chitika Insights' comparison data shows the Samsung handset has made up substantial ground since the last study was performed in October 2012.

The firm's research arm harvested the latest statistics from "tens of millions" of U.S. and Canadian smartphone mobile ad impressions seen across its network from Feb. 1 through Feb. 9.

According to the data, a direct comparison in web marketshare saw the iPhone 5 take a 51 percent stake, meaning the S III came up with 49 percent. In contrast, the October study found Apple's newest device to have an eight percentage point lead on Samsung's flagship handset.

Taking a look at broad overall impressions, the iPhone 5 accounted for 6.6 percent of traffic, compared to the Galaxy S III's 6.3 percent. Including all iPhone models currently being used in the U.S. and Canada, Apple took a 41.5 percent share of the market, representing a 4.5 percent drop from the time of the last study. Samsung boosted its overall presence to 20.6 percent over the same period, up from 17 percent in October.

Comparison
Source: Chitika Insights

Apple and Samsung dominated the market with a combined 62.1 percent marketshare, but that number is one percent below October's findings, suggesting that there is at least some churn taking place in the North American smartphone market.

It was recently reported that of Apple's smartphone web share, iOS 6 now accounts for 83 percent of all iOS traffic in North America. The stats are impressive given that the mobile OS was only released in September of 2012.
post #2 of 79
If accurate, no matter how you feel about Samsung or their tactics this is an impressive achievement. They did have a few extra months but they also have to compete with all Android-based devices, including their own Samsung devices. I have no idea if their cost in marketing is worth their investment but it clearly shows that marketing works.

It also shows us that Android users do use their their phones in much the same way as iPhone owners… when they have decent Android phone to use, which means we can deduce that the vast number of Android phones are simply not being used like they smartphones in the US.

I wonder if the Samsung Galaxy S II mini is included in that figure.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #3 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You mean in the "other Samsung" category obviously.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #4 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You mean in the "other Samsung" category obviously.

No, I mean in the Samsung Galaxy III category. One could argue that the mini is a subset of the Galaxy SIII category of Samsung smartphones. It's not officially on sale in the US but that doesn't mean it's not used in the US. However Chitika parsed their data to find the device type I would guess they wouldn't look for Galaxy AND S AND III NOT mini. If it was simply grabbing a unique idea that is only for that model or the variety of S III models that are sold worldwide then I think it's less likely to be included, but not out of the question.

post #5 of 79
Quote:

No, I mean in the Samsung Galaxy III category. One could argue that the mini is a subset of the Galaxy SIII category of Samsung smartphones. It's not officially on sale in the US but that doesn't mean it's not used in the US. However Chitika parsed their data to find the device type I would guess they wouldn't look for Galaxy AND S AND III NOT mini. If it was simply grabbing a unique idea that is only for that model or the variety of S III models that are sold worldwide then I think it's less likely to be included, but not out of the question.

Since it doesn't have anywhere near the same specs as the S3, and Chitika can tell the difference between an iPhone 5 and other iPhones I don't know why it would be any different for Samsung. 

post #6 of 79
What I find impressive is that the Galaxy S3 has been around for 8 months or so, been given away as part of numerous promotions and BOGOs and such, and the iPhone 5 has already equaled their web use despite not being given away.
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

What I find impressive is that the Galaxy S3 has been around for 8 months or so, been given away as part of numerous promotions and BOGOs and such, and the iPhone 5 has already equaled their web use despite not being given away.

Other than the T-Mobile Black Friday promo I don't recall any "free" (with contract) S3's. I don't even find a reference to any "Buy an S3 get another S3 free". I see the Shack had a free S2 when buying an S3 back at the holidays. So far the carrier's haven't had to resort to BOGOS to move S3's. This is the first and only smartphone that Samsung has been able to successfully position alongside Apple. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple BOGO's pop up in the next month or so with with the S4 rumored to be on the way. 

EDIT: Just found that Sprint did a BOGO deal on the S3 at Christmas. 

Edited by Gatorguy - 2/15/13 at 4:14pm
post #8 of 79
In light of this data, I don't understand the other articles I've seen on this site showing Android at a significantly lower share of web usage than iOS.
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

In light of this data, I don't understand the other articles I've seen on this site showing Android at a significantly lower share of web usage than iOS.

That's only been when tablet web use is included. When it's just phones Android is either equal to or surpassing iPhone web use in the US.

post #10 of 79
Quote:

I think it's possible that the mini would get lumped into the pool of SIII devices but they would be in extremely small numbers. Someone would have to import the mini, and if you're looking at a budget phone like the mini you're not likely to want to pay full retail plus international shipping.
post #11 of 79
Quote:

That's only been when tablet web use is included. When it's just phones Android is either equal to or surpassing iPhone web use in the US.

Ah that makes sense. In that case Android phone usage would have to far outweigh iPhone usage if Samsung alone has that much volume.
Edited by wakefinance - 2/15/13 at 4:42pm
post #12 of 79
Quote:

As clearly explained, This one device (or devices with the Galaxy S III designation) do not make up all of Android-based devices. The S III is a high-end smartphone just as all iPhones are high-end smartphones. What this shows is that Android-based phones are mostly not used as smartphones as indicated by the numbers of low usage stats compared to the impressive and unverifiable numbers given to us by Google execs in tweets.

post #13 of 79
Quote:

As clearly explained, This one device (or devices with the Galaxy S III designation) do not make up all of Android-based devices. The S III is a high-end smartphone just as all iPhones are high-end smartphones. What this shows is that Android-based phones are mostly not used as smartphones as indicated by the numbers of low usage stats compared to the impressive and unverifiable numbers given to us by Google execs in tweets.

See post 9 for another explanation Soli. Take the time to check for yourself rather than believe me.

post #14 of 79
Quote:

The only BOGO I've seen for SGS 3 didn't include a second SGS 3 but a lesser model.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #15 of 79
Quote:

I think it's possible that the mini would get lumped into the pool of SIII devices but they would be in extremely small numbers. Someone would have to import the mini, and if you're looking at a budget phone like the mini you're not likely to want to pay full retail plus international shipping.

Absolutely. In no way was I suggesting the values listed are wrong if they had included it as the numbers would clearly be extremely low. My query was more or less questioning how fastidious Chitika is with their statistics. I would have noted that the S III mini was not included in the results… but that's me.

post #16 of 79
Quote:

See post 9 for another explanation Soli. Take the time to check for yourself rather than believe me.

I am not going to look it up. The numbers for the world and prior to the iPad's release tell a different story. There is no doubt that the IPad with the much bigger display that is much better for browsing the web will get used more for browsing the web but there is also no doubt that the average Android-based phones do not get used as much as the average iPhone according to web stats.

post #17 of 79
Quote:

Well look at the second graph 'other smartphone' is at almost 38% while the iPhone 5 and the SGS 3 combined are 13%. My guess is that 'other smartphone' consists mostly of other Android phones.
post #18 of 79

It's Chitika, the major ad network wannabe.

Their self-advertisement report is all about who sees their ads.

So what they're probably doing here, is fishing for more advertisers  1wink.gif

- Chitika: "Wanna contract with us to reach Android users?"

Advertiser: "I thought your charts showed they never saw your ads?"

Chitika: "No, no, that's because we mixed in tablets.  Wait, we'll post a different kind of report!"

Nothing like bragging rights as to who sees the most Chitika ads.

post #19 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well look at the second graph 'other smartphone' is at almost 38% while the iPhone 5 and the SGS 3 combined are 13%. My guess is that 'other smartphone' consists mostly of other Android phones.

He's got a good point Soli. You know that leftover 38% isn't all made up of Windows and BB smartphones with their tiny share of the smartphone market. You don't even have to look that one up. Common sense says a big part, if not the majority, would be Android from others besides Samsung. 

post #20 of 79
I wonder how they count it if a user has a great app available, and uses that to access their favorite web service/resource instead of using a browser? Does app availability (apps good enough to bother with) reduce "web usage" the way they measure it? (It certainly reduces data transferred.)
post #21 of 79
Slightly off topic. I was in the process of updating my 2 handsets to iPhone 5s and was asked by the telco guy in India whether I would consider a Samsung S3. I replied that I considered this an insult (in jest of course), we both had a laugh. I guess he looked over my history and realised that all my phones were iPhones, and quickly made his apologies.
I guess some people have high standards.
I can afford expensive clothes and drive a Mercedes, why should I even consider plastic fantastic garbage in the way of phones?
I am so grateful that there are companies like Apple out there who believe in quality, just like me.
post #22 of 79
Quote:

I wonder if the Samsung Galaxy S III mini is included in that figure.

It wouldn't be, and it's irrelevant anyway...the SIII 'mini' is not available in North America. T-Mobile is possibly going to carry some varient of it eventually. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #23 of 79
Quote:

If accurate, no matter how you feel about Samsung or their tactics this is an impressive achievement. They did have a few extra months but they also have to compete with all Android-based devices, including their own Samsung devices. I have no idea if their cost in marketing is worth their investment but it clearly shows that marketing works.

It also shows us that Android users do use their their phones in much the same way as iPhone owners… when they have decent Android phone to use, which means we can deduce that the vast number of Android phones are simply not being used like they smartphones in the US.

It's kind of easy when over 3 months of sales were when Apple didn't have the iPhone 5.  Plus, they were giving better margins, sales spiffs and spending a lot of money in advertising.  If Apple had announced the iPhone 5 at the same time, I don't know if they would had the same amount of sales at full price.

post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Slightly off topic. I was in the process of updating my 2 handsets to iPhone 5s and was asked by the telco guy in India whether I would consider a Samsung S3. I replied that I considered this an insult (in jest of course), we both had a laugh. I guess he looked over my history and realised that all my phones were iPhones, and quickly made his apologies.
I guess some people have high standards.
I can afford expensive clothes and drive a Mercedes, why should I even consider plastic fantastic garbage in the way of phones?
I am so grateful that there are companies like Apple out there who believe in quality, just like me.

and people wonder why non apple users see apple users as douche bags. seriously?
post #25 of 79
Quote:

He's got a good point Soli. You know that leftover 38% isn't all made up of Windows and BB smartphones with their tiny share of the smartphone market. You don't even have to look that one up. Common sense says a big part, if not the majority, would be Android from others besides Samsung. 

1) I seem to recall MS and BB making up about 10% of the market by themselves so you can't just say that anything that is other goes to Android.

2) That still doesn't change the fact that Apple's iPhone sales pale in comparison to the numbers Google execs say they "activate" per day and your long standing defense that no matter what clever or ambiguous words they use that it only ever means one device regardless of how many times the OS is installed or passed on to different users. The numbers simply don't show that the average Android device is used the same was the average iOS device. This is the first time we've seen anything that shows comparable usage which clearly shows that only a flagship Android device has a normal smartphone usage pattern.

post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It wouldn't be, and it's irrelevant anyway...the SIII 'mini' is not available in North America. T-Mobile is possibly going to carry some varient of it eventually. 

It's absolutely relevant to how I view Chitika as a company.

post #27 of 79

These data would be much more interesting if we knew the numbers of SIIIs and IP5s in circulation.

post #28 of 79
Quote:

Quote:

As with all the other 'web usage' reports, this is largely meaningless. The only thing it tells you is what percentage of people accessing Chikita's web site or advertising partners use each platform. Unless that platform is representative of the entire continent, the results don't tell you anything.

And I suspect that there's a major bias right from the start. Apple has its own ad network - iAds - which only works on iOS devices. So some iOS devices go to iAds rather than Chikita partners meaning that the data underrepresents iOS users.

For Android, it could underreprepesent or overrepresent usage - depending on whether Android users are more likely or less likely to see ads from Chikita partners than users as a whole.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #29 of 79
Quote:

1) I seem to recall MS and BB making up about 10% of the market by themselves so you can't just say that anything that is other goes to Android.

2) That still doesn't change the fact that Apple's iPhone sales pale in comparison to the numbers Google execs say they "activate" per day and your long standing defense that no matter what clever or ambiguous words they use that it only ever means one device regardless of how many times the OS is installed or passed on to different users. The numbers simply don't show that the average Android device is used the same was the average iOS device. This is the first time we've seen anything that shows comparable usage which clearly shows that only a flagship Android device has a normal smartphone usage pattern.

1. I didn't. I'm guessing that a large part and perhaps even most of that other 38% is Android, but not all of it. (Your Jedi mind tricks don't work here. LOL)

2. What "numbers" are you referring to? I don't recall anyone at Google ever breaking down device activations by continent so how are you using data based on the US to conclude worldwide activation numbers reported by Google can't be accurate? And what "numbers" are showing Android smartphones aren't used to access the web the same as iPhones? Perhaps old articles/data from early 2012 and back, when by all accounts there were still more iOS devices than Android? 

Edited by Gatorguy - 2/15/13 at 5:18pm
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

and people wonder why non apple users see apple users as douche bags. seriously?

1. A mark of intelligence is the ability to make distinctions.

2. A douche-bag is someone who purchases an Android/Symbian/Windows phone, and then rushes to AI to announce it; with special emphasis on the product's technical superiority, superlative performance, and the stratospheric quality of the decision-making exercised.

Cheers

post #31 of 79
Quote:

Indeed. Kudos to you for not just accepting but also honestly discussing the competitive landscape as it is.

Quote:

Sure you can say that. You can refuse to accept a war is on when the enemy is pillaging your villages. Or you can admit it's on when they are marching closer and closer.

Quote:

One word - iPad.

post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Seriously? A majority of non-Apple users wonder about this?

Or perhaps, the general population is more mature than you, and accept that everyone is entitled to their choices without being maligned?

post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As with all the other 'web usage' reports, this is largely meaningless. The only thing it tells you is what percentage of people accessing Chikita's web site or advertising partners use each platform. Unless that platform is representative of the entire continent, the results don't tell you anything.

And I suspect that there's a major bias right from the start. Apple has its own ad network - iAds - which only works on iOS devices. So some iOS devices go to iAds rather than Chikita partners meaning that the data underrepresents iOS users.

For Android, it could underreprepesent or overrepresent usage - depending on whether Android users are more likely or less likely to see ads from Chikita partners than users as a whole.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I readily admit I have been in the past) but one receives ads from iAds within apps and not while web browsing through Safari.
post #34 of 79
Quote:

I wasn't implying that it all goes to Android but surely even you don't believe that 10% of the market does 38% of the browsing especially since browsing with a BB is so horrible.
post #35 of 79

Market share by *users* in North America:      Android:  53.4%      Apple: 36.3%

Web Usage:                                        Samsung+Other:  58.4%      Apple: 41.5%

So......

Web usage lines up pretty much with what phones people are using.

zzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, throw out 10-15% or so from 'other' for the 3 people in North America still using BB or WP.

The only thing surprising about this article is that AI chose to post it since it doesn't skew perception to support the consensus by many here that Apple users are super-adept-web-deviant-gurus and superior-human-beings-in-general while Android users are troglodytes who were all tricked by a bribed salesman into getting their phones for free and have trouble figuring out how to turn them on.  You really need to add the tablet data back in if you want to support that perception, AI is slipping. =p

Edited by Frood - 2/16/13 at 5:46am
post #36 of 79
Quote:

It's difficult to take any metrics at face value, especially if the traffic they are measuring is weighted in ways that are not being revealed.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #37 of 79
AppleInsider wrote an article from just last month detailing a 18.5% share for Apple in the United States.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/03/apples-share-of-us-mobile-phone-market-grows-to-185

Apple iPhone continues to dominate (relative to the small overall share) in web usage, however, with 41.5% of "web share."

What do people do with Android phones? Seriously!
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

AppleInsider wrote an article from just last month detailing a 18.5% share for Apple in the United States.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/03/apples-share-of-us-mobile-phone-market-grows-to-185

Apple iPhone continues to dominate (relative to the small overall share) in web usage, however, with 41.5% of "web share."

What do people do with Android phones? Seriously!

They're the other 48.5%, duh. Like I said in a previous thread, maybe they're out having fun, living life, and knocking up broads.
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong (I readily admit I have been in the past) but one receives ads from iAds within apps and not while web browsing through Safari.

That may or may not be true, but it doesn't change the issue I brought up. Unless they can provide evidence that their sample is representative of the population as a whole it is meaningless. There are all sorts of reasons why the results might be biased - I only gave one of them.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #40 of 79
One certainly must have a thick skin to post on his forum.
There are basically two types of people, those that can appreciate beauty, the effort taken in design and engineering and then there are the others who simply cannot comprehend this.
Techstalker which one are you?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says