or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says

Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Do not believe me if you want to but Samsung Galaxy S III has caught up with iPhone 5 BECAUSE OF HER BIGGER SIZE.
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsshah View Post

Do not believe me if you want to but Samsung Galaxy S III has caught up with iPhone 5 BECAUSE OF HER BIGGER SIZE.

In no way can you draw that single conclusion based on the evidence. If it's only about the size then you have to wonder why larger phones didn't match any iPhone model in usage prior to the S III.

I see what you are trying to do but you're not seeing is how you're marginalizing the actual achievements Samsung has made with developing, making and marketing the S III in the US.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 79

Honestly, I think this is extremely impressive considering the following:

1. The S3 has had a 5 month headstart on the iPhone 5, and has been on the market more than twice as long

2. The iPhone 5 has been supply limited for a long time after release

3. The S3 marketing completely dwarfs than of the iPhone. Every single mall/store I go into has multiple, massive banners advertising the device. Carrier booths ALL have the device featured as their flagship product in a special section. Incessant TV ads, radio ads (I hear multiple every day), carriers pushing it down the throat of every customer. By comparison, I've barely seen any iPhone 5 ads, and the instore marketing is near non-existant. 

4. The S3 looks way more "flashy" on the surface and desirable to most people, with a much bigger screen. 

Even with all this, the iPhone 5 is beating out the S3. 

post #44 of 79
Quote:

How the hell do you "catch up" to something if you release first. The S3 came out in June. The iPhone 5 in October. Yet the iPhone 5 has sold more. 

Also, howcome most of the barely legible, trollish, brain-dead posts are coming from new registrants?

post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Honestly, I think this is extremely impressive considering the following:

1. The S3 has had a 5 month headstart on the iPhone 5, and has been on the market more than twice as long

2. The iPhone 5 has been supply limited for a long time after release

3. The S3 marketing completely dwarfs than of the iPhone. Every single mall/store I go into has multiple, massive banners advertising the device. Carrier booths ALL have the device featured as their flagship product in a special section. Incessant TV ads, radio ads (I hear multiple every day), carriers pushing it down the throat of every customer. By comparison, I've barely seen any iPhone 5 ads, and the instore marketing is near non-existant. 

4. The S3 looks way more "flashy" on the surface and desirable to most people, with a much bigger screen. 

Even with all this, the iPhone 5 is beating out the S3. 

1) I think it's more like 3 months for the US release. I'm sure there would have been some non-US models on US carriers before the US release but I can't see how it would be enough to make a dent.

2) You bring up a lot of good points for Apple but this is still highly impressive for an Android-based phone. We've never seen anything it before. Prior to this report, If you had asked me what the number 1, 2 and 3 smartphone models are in the US for web stats I'd say it was the iPhone 5, 4S, and 4, respectively.

post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know why is that? Because carriers HATE Apple! They hate that they have to subsidies the iPhone! They have absolutely no advantage when they sell an iPhone. AT&T had an advantage while it was the only one who sold the iPhone, but now that advantage has disappeared and carriers are stuck with paying Apple that huge margin. Either Apple will give up the huge margin or carriers will KILL Apple in the end. In my country all three major carriers has stopped subsidizing the iPhone this year and now the iPhone 5 is 2-3 times more expensive then Samsung S3. The result? Almost no one is buying the iPhone anymore and Samsung S3 is selling like hotcakes!

By the way, Samsung probably doesn't even pay carriers for that advertising. The carriers are probably doing it for free.

post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well look at the second graph 'other smartphone' is at almost 38% while the iPhone 5 and the SGS 3 combined are 13%. My guess is that 'other smartphone' consists mostly of other Android phones.
He's got a good point Soli. You know that leftover 38% isn't all made up of Windows and BB smartphones with their tiny share of the smartphone market. You don't even have to look that one up. Common sense says a big part, if not the majority, would be Android from others besides Samsung. 

Well all the iPhones together are over 40% (same chart). Other +Samsung is 58%. We can rule out symbian since this is North America. I don't think a browser share of 15-20% is unreasonable for BlackBerry and Windows in NA. There are people still using blackberries they purchased before the iPhone was released in 2007...
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I am so grateful that there are companies like Apple out there who believe in quality, just like me.

Wholeheartedly agree. And I think everyone would appreciate quality, but sometimes I'm flabbergasted to be proven wrong on things that seem logical to me.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #49 of 79
Quote:

That's only been when tablet web use is included. When it's just phones Android is either equal to or surpassing iPhone web use in the US.

If you read the pie chart, when it's just phones iOS has about 40% and Samsung has about 20%. Hardly equal to or surpassing.

post #50 of 79

I don't recall who brought up the subject of Oracle losing their case against Google copying Java without a license for Android (and I can't find the post again) but in reading the appeal brief by Oracle's attorneys, my opinion of Google has soured. Granted it is an appeal so it is one-sided but the case, in my non-attorney-trained eyes is very compelling that Google basically ripped off Oracle big time with the intent of catching up on lost mobile advertising dollars by undermining current smart phone software.  The article at Foss Patents is interesting

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/02/oracles-appeal-brief-likens-google-to.html

but even more interesting is the reading the appeal briefing in the link above.  Regardless if you are an Apple fanboy, a Fandroid, or a neutral party just interested in the workings of Silicon Valley, the story and especially the briefing, are revealing to say the least.

post #51 of 79
We have several threads here at AI where the Google/Oracle tussle has been discussed, but this isn't one of them. Since it's guaranteed to distract from this discussion you should repost in one of the more appropriate threads. This is a topic that can become a troll fest. You don't want to troll do you?

Since you said you couldn't find one here's a suggested thread.that fits much better. There's several others tho if you don't like this one, or perhaps even start your own:

Edited by Gatorguy - 2/16/13 at 4:41am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Well all the iPhones together are over 40% (same chart). Other +Samsung is 58%. We can rule out symbian since this is North America. I don't think a browser share of 15-20% is unreasonable for BlackBerry and Windows in NA. There are people still using blackberries they purchased before the iPhone was released in 2007...

You do know that there were plenty of BBs sold after 2007.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

You know why is that? Because carriers HATE Apple! They hate that they have to subsidies the iPhone! They have absolutely no advantage when they sell an iPhone.

Well, actually, they subsidize other phones, as well - just not as much as the iPhone subsidies.

In addition, there are stories of spiffs/rebates/bonuses being given by other phone manufacturers. I don't know if it's true, but if it is, that would account for some of it.

But I believe a major part is simply that with the iPhone, it's all about the phone and the carrier is not important. With other phones, the carrier talks about how great they are and then inserts a small blurb about the phone special that they're offering that week. The focus is on the carrier, not the phone. They hate being turned into a commodity as Apple is doing.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #54 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

What I find impressive is that the Galaxy S3 has been around for 8 months or so, been given away as part of numerous promotions and BOGOs and such, and the iPhone 5 has already equaled their web use despite not being given away.

I actually tracked this as happening back in November.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_resolution-na-monthly-201201-201302

I don't know if Chitka is tracking unique devices or web traffic like StatCounter. In the above plot, the bright green line starting up in Sept is the iPhone 5 and the light blue line in May is he GSIII and GN line and a few other minor units.
post #55 of 79
Quote:

That's only been when tablet web use is included. When it's just phones Android is either equal to or surpassing iPhone web use in the US.

Not in the US. Not by a long shot. World yes. US no.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-US-monthly-201201-201302
post #56 of 79
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Why do the percentages change when you change graph type? That doesn't seem right.

post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Why do the percentages change when you change graph type? That doesn't seem right.

That's funny. Excel even has that; if management doesn't like the numbers I tell them they can also just pull the graph and the numbers change accordingly!
post #58 of 79
Quote:

One certainly must have a thick skin to post on his forum.
There are basically two types of people, those that can appreciate beauty, the effort taken in design and engineering and then there are the others who simply cannot comprehend this.
Techstalker which one are you?

So that's how the world is divided? Didn't know that
post #59 of 79
And that's why Samsung releases all the sales data every quarter..... Not!!!
post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Market share by *users* in North America:      Android:  53.4%      Apple: 36.3%
Web Usage:                                        Samsung+Other:  58.4%      Apple: 41.5%

So......
Web usage lines up pretty much with what phones people are using.

zzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, throw out 10-15% or so from 'other' for the 3 people in North America still using BB or WP.

The only thing surprising about this article is that AI chose to post it since it doesn't skew perception to support the consensus by many here that Apple users are super-adept-web-deviant-gurus and superior-human-beings-in-general while Android users are troglodytes who were all tricked by a bribed salesman into getting their phones for free and have trouble figuring out how to turn them on.  You really need to add the tablet data back in if you want to support that perception, AI is slipping. =p

Considering that no one other than Apple puts out audited sales, where did you come up with your marketshare numbers?

(Actually, you don't need to answer that, since its a rhetorical question.)

Zzzzzzzzz......
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It takes time to figure out StatCounter. If you go to bar, that graph represents the entire time period of selected date range. In short, it is he average of the line trend graph. You can change the time range for each type of plot. I like to use bar with only the current month selected.

Likewise, the iPad is considered desktop and the iPhone is mobile. To get a composite of all data, you have to use the Mobile VS Desktop and use it to weight each value in the individual desktop and mobile categories.
post #62 of 79

If I understand this correctly, the S3 share as improved since october.  So that means that S3 is outselling the iPhone 5 when the S3 is getting old and the iPhone 5 is brand new.  And all this is North America... Horrible news for Apple.

post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you had asked me what the number 1, 2 and 3 smartphone models are in the US for web stats I'd say it was the iPhone 5, 4S, and 4, respectively.

Well, sorry. but you would be wrong. What do you think that 35% "Other iPhones" slice consists of?

Either iPhone 4 or the 4S probably has the largest N. American user base. Even the 3GS is probably near the top somewhere.. it was sold for over three and a half years.

post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If I understand this correctly, the S3 share as improved since october.  So that means that S3 is outselling the iPhone 5 when the S3 is getting old and the iPhone 5 is brand new.  And all this is North America... Horrible news for Apple.

So, what your options strategy for Monday?

So that we can track your gazillion dollar-making moves.....
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

No it means the iphone 5's share is moving up faster. Yes the GSIII is still selling and increasing share. The iPhone 5 is selling better and increasing share at a much faster rate.
post #66 of 79
Quote:

Other than the T-Mobile Black Friday promo I don't recall any "free" (with contract) S3's. I don't even find a reference to any "Buy an S3 get another S3 free". I see the Shack had a free S2 when buying an S3 back at the holidays. So far the carrier's haven't had to resort to BOGOS to move S3's. This is the first and only smartphone that Samsung has been able to successfully position alongside Apple. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple BOGO's pop up in the next month or so with with the S4 rumored to be on the way. 

EDIT: Just found that Sprint did a BOGO deal on the S3 at Christmas. 

Best Buy and other mobile retailers have done numerous promotions including BOGOs and I even saw a one with a $150 gift card with activation. I should have prefaced it by saying that I only know of this in the US though. The only IPhone 5 discount I ever saw was the Wal-Mart Christmas promo of the 16 GB model being $127 vs $199 and that was for a week or two.
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

and people wonder why non apple users see apple users as douche bags. seriously?

Why do you think in such sweeping overgeneralizations?
Does that help you get through life?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #68 of 79
Quote:

One certainly must have a thick skin to post on his forum.
There are basically two types of people, those that can appreciate beauty, the effort taken in design and engineering and then there are the others who simply cannot comprehend this.
Techstalker which one are you?

Would it bounce off you if I say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? Surely you've heard that before.

Not to mention that many people will prioritize functionality (which is also in the eye of the beholder) to looks - we are talking about device here, after all.
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

A new world order, my friend. A new world order;).
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, what your options strategy for Monday?

So that we can track your gazillion dollar-making moves.....

All my apple options are in january 2015 until we get so kind of bullish news. It could be months before apple rebound. If good news do happen i am in, and i am getting mimimal time decay while i wait.
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the data, a direct comparison in web marketshare saw the iPhone 5 take a 51 percent stake, meaning the S III came up with 49 percent. In contrast, the October study found Apple's newest device to have an eight percentage point lead on Samsung's flagship handset.

How did the iPhone 5 have an 8% lead over the SIII in October 2012???

post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

How did the iPhone 5 have an 8% lead over the SIII in October 2012???

It certainly looks suspicious at first glance but consider the iPhone had been out 6 weeks already in the US with constant sell outs in every location with 2 million pre-orders and 5 millions for just the first 3 days of sales. I think it's highly possible that the iPhone had an 8% lead after 6 weeks on the market.

post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Market share by *users* in North America:      Android:  53.4%      Apple: 36.3%

Web Usage:                                        Samsung+Other:  58.4%      Apple: 41.5%

So......

Web usage lines up pretty much with what phones people are using.

zzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, throw out 10-15% or so from 'other' for the 3 people in North America still using BB or WP.

The only thing surprising about this article is that AI chose to post it since it doesn't skew perception to support the consensus by many here that Apple users are super-adept-web-deviant-gurus and superior-human-beings-in-general while Android users are troglodytes who were all tricked by a bribed salesman into getting their phones for free and have trouble figuring out how to turn them on.  You really need to add the tablet data back in if you want to support that perception, AI is slipping. =p

Looks like all the surveys seem to have a life of their own.

Camps from both side will disparage their opponents based on these surveys by people who have vested interests in the published results.

We armchaired warriors seem to be superintelligent and able to sniff out just the right details to prove the other party wrong.

So at the end of the day, world hunger will be solved and all of a sudden world poverty is a thing of the past.

Yes at the same time trying to sound intelligent but contribute nothing to make the world a better place.

post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater

A new world order, my friend. A new world order;).

My comment was simply that, an observation.
I never said anything about dividing the world or a new world order, not sure how you both extrapolated to these conclusions.
And no, good design and engineering is not an opinion as you state, it can be quantified.
If I said the Grand Canyon is beautiful and you on the other hand said a toxic waste dump was, who is right?
Certainly not you.
post #75 of 79
Quote:

Learn English.

Sorry Gator Guy if I stole this phrase before you had the chance to put as part of your signature.

post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wholeheartedly agree. And I think everyone would appreciate quality, but sometimes I'm flabbergasted to be proven wrong on things that seem logical to me.

Exactly my thoughts.

Probably the same mob that never look up into the night sky to marvel at the cosmic show on display.

I trully feel sorry for them.

A guy I worked with had several different android phones during the same space of time that I had my 4S.

I asked him why, his reply "because I am having problems with them", I asked him, why not get an iPhone. His answer, because its too expensive.

He hit the old nail with the hammer there, right exactly in the centre.

If you want something of good quality, expect to pay more.

post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It certainly looks suspicious at first glance but consider the iPhone had been out 6 weeks already in the US with constant sell outs in every location with 2 million pre-orders and 5 millions for just the first 3 days of sales. I think it's highly possible that the iPhone had an 8% lead after 6 weeks on the market.

People playing with their new toy. Fresh new phone, and bigger screen probably led to higher than normal use, and now the novelty has worn off.
post #78 of 79
Quote:

Then the LTE iPad mini should kill them both.

post #79 of 79
The charts don't match?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says