or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac Pro no longer available from European Online Apple Stores

Mac Pro no longer available from European Online Apple Stores

post #1 of 81
With European sales of Apple's Mac Pro desktop set to stop on March 1 as new regulatory requirements become active, the computer has been made unavailbable in most of the company's online storefronts in the region.

Mac Pro EU
Germany's Online Apple Store shows the Mac Pro as "currently unavailable." | Source: Apple Store

In late January, Apple announced that it would be halting sales of the venerable Mac Pro on March 1 due to incompatibility with Amendment 1 of Regulation IEC 60950-1. According to Apple, the aging desktop platform is incompatible with the revised standard's requirement for protected fan blades.

Apple noted in the announcement that authorized resellers would be able to purchase the Mac Pro until Feb. 18, but did not previously specify an exact date on which general consumer orders would be discontinued.

The end Mac Pro sales in the region is not expected to have much effect on Apple's revenue stream, as the high-priced desktop was designed for audio and visual professionals.

While the tower computer has not seen a major design change for years, Apple revealed in June 2012 that an updated Mac Pro is coming sometime in 2013, though the machine's specs and release date have yet to be nailed down.
post #2 of 81
It's sad to see, but I don't think that Apple cares much about this machine anymore, because of the lack of attention that this machine has received during the last few years. Maybe professional desktops in general are not as important as they used to be. It may also be the end of an era.
post #3 of 81
^^^ This. People keep ignoring what Tim Cook said about the Pro.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 81
Apple hates professionals.
post #5 of 81

No, they just ignore them.

post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yep. I wonder if all these people will admit how wrong they were after Apple releases the 2013 Mac Pro.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #7 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep. I wonder if all these people will admit how wrong they were after Apple releases the 2013 Mac Pro.

I guess that depends on what they release.
post #8 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

I guess that depends on what they release.

So you're pre-hating them, just in case?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 81
Regulatory issues in the EEC from what I've read.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Apple doesn't hate anyone. They just don't focus on pros as their primary audience. Or rather pros that feel the need to have a machine they can tinker with. 

And if they truly hated said group they would just discontinue the Mac Pro altogether. Cook has confirmed that that isn't happening.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #11 of 81
New one soon then
post #12 of 81
There is nothing odd about this. We're less than a week and a half before the new month. I'd say this is cutting it awfully close for Apple which could be a sign that they aren't going to have the new Mac Pros on sale for at another month or two.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In late January, Apple announced that it would be halting sales of the venerable Mac Pro on March 1 due to incompatibility with Amendment 1 of Regulation IEC 60950-1. According to Apple, the aging desktop platform is incompatible with the revised standard's requirement for protected fan blades.

Hmm.  I guess there are children at risk of sticking their hands in MacPro Fan Blades then?  Maybe the fan blades are to loud?  Maybe what?

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #14 of 81

Tuesday! But seriously. What do they expect us to work on? Windows 7 machines? I can't do my work without a Mac Pro. All I can think of is that computers have become so powerful that most people just don't need to upgrade anymore.

post #15 of 81

I'm really curious to see what Apple will do here. They went through really a lot of work to re-do their "pro" apps (mainly FCP and Logic), yet, here goes the last machine that can accommodate the required extension boards and peripherals for "pro" tasks. While Thunderbolt already provides a good solution for storage and there are some video solutions using it, it is still not possible to realize everything using it (even if one would be willing to pay for all new equipment, but, thanks to ever changing expansion slots, we are already used to buying again).

I agree, Cook did de facto promise "something" for 2013 and we do not need to buy immediately. So, there is hope. Still, this uncertainty is not helpful. If we would have to jump ship (not completely, but certainly for video work), this requires quite some planning, training, budgeting etc. I am not blaming Apple for not having anything ready now (if we would urgently need additional machines soon, we would have bought before today to be safe), but not to be able to do some mid term planning is causing quite some concern (not that this is something new, but being used to it doesn't really help). I do understand that they keep popular devices under the cover to block the copycats. But, really, the current Mac Pro form factor (introduced with the G5 Power Mac in 2003) is almost a decade old and nobody bothered to copy it... would letting some information about the successor out really hurt?

post #16 of 81

There is nothing to see here, IMO. Apple will release new Mac Pros sometime in 2013, and then all of the people who constantly talk about the Mac Pro line being "dead" or "discontinued" will have to admit that they don't know what they're talking about, and that they've all been regurgitating complete crap for a long time now.

Real pros don't run around switching out their main workhorse machines every six months, they've got real work to complete and real clients to please. The Mac Pro line is obviously not a huge seller for Apple, compared to their other products. 

post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

It's sad to see, but I don't think that Apple cares much about this machine anymore, because of the lack of attention that this machine has received during the last few years. Maybe professional desktops in general are not as important as they used to be. It may also be the end of an era.

I guess you don't read much about what's going on and the rationale behind it.

The MacPro has had a marginal update, but due to it only attracting a niche market, it doesn't get major upgrades as often.   They did a slight upgrade to the processors last year, but it was minor.

They are waiting until the new XEON chips Ivy Bridge get released.  They are also making other substantial upgrades to it.  What?  I can only speculate that USB 3.0, Thunderbolt will be part of it, and since they released Fusion drives, they will PROBABLY offer Fusion drives or some variation for the new MacPro, which are supposed to be released somewhere in the March 20 to June 20th time frame.  I'm sure they'll put in high end graphics cards from NVidia as well.  The Thunderbolt monitors are becoming harder to get, so I'm sure they are ramping up a new thinner model to replace the existing model.  There are other speculations around the new MacPros regarding case design. But these systems are forthcoming.

It's just that the high end market is not as big as the laptop, mobile devices market. That's just fact.  But they will get an upgrade fairly soon and I'm sure there is a lot of pent up demand for them.

We'll see what they bring out in the upcoming months.

post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

No they don't.  What's your problem?  They made good on the FInal Cut Pro X promises.  There are people out there that first didn't like FInal Cut Pro X, but since the updates they released and they spent some time with it, they love it.  So there are some professionals out there that admitted they were complaining about something that was going to get resolved.   They had to release something to go after the masses of people first while they got the more high end features together because most professionals aren't going to change to another app the day it comes out.  They usually take some time with it.  And Apple had to make a decision, come out with something that the entry people can use while they work on the higher end features, or delay the release.  They made the decision and it's working out just fine.

Logic Pro is getting an update to Logic Pro X and that'll be coming out later this year as well.

post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

No, they just ignore them.

They are waiting for Intel to release some new processors.  There haven't been much of anything else getting released by anyone else in the top end systems because they are waiting on Intel to release the Ivy Bridge XEONs.

post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Tuesday! But seriously. What do they expect us to work on? Windows 7 machines? I can't do my work without a Mac Pro. All I can think of is that computers have become so powerful that most people just don't need to upgrade anymore.

Uh, the current MacPros aren't going to explode. Yes, I guess if you're in a situation where you're in europe and you need to buy a new MacPro NOW, you can't. I'm assuming they'll have the new one very soon. 

post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They have selective listening, they only choose what they want to believe.  Some of the professionals, not all of them, just want to bitch and complain because it makes them feel more important.

post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I think Apple should at least announce a release date for the Mac Pro. It's not like it's going to hurt the current Mac Pro sales which are very small anyways. I can see why they keep it secret for the iPads, iPhones and Macbooks because those are such cutthroat markets. The Mac Pro market isn't like that though. These production houses know what they want and will pay the premium to get it. Keeping them in the dark just pisses them off.

If its contingent on Intel releasing a new chip, they have to wait for Intel first.  They can't announce something if they are waiting for a component supplier to announce a new product first.  THEN they can announce something.

Please answer me this, has any other company made an announcement of a new product before the processors from another supplier were announced?  

post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is nothing to see here, IMO. Apple will release new Mac Pros sometime in 2013, and then all of the people who constantly talk about the Mac Pro line being "dead" or "discontinued" will have to admit that they don't know what they're talking about, and that they've all been regurgitating complete crap for a long time now.

Real pros don't run around switching out their main workhorse machines every six months, they've got real work to complete and real clients to please. The Mac Pro line is obviously not a huge seller for Apple, compared to their other products. 

They also can't do much until Intel releases new chips.  Intel didn't release the Ivy Bridge XEONs last year.  Even Intel's getting their high end chips out later than their mobile and regular desktop chips out. It's just the way it is.

post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

These are people who don't buy Mac Pros but are here to stir the pot.

post #25 of 81
Dang it. If only we'd known Europeans were so afraid of computer fans! It would have been so much easier to win WW2. Just walk up to German soldiers and hold up a computer fan and they would run away.
post #26 of 81

Apple should make two versions of the next Mac Pro, a US version and a European version. The European version will come with a crash helmet, knee pads and gloves, because we wouldn't want any Europeans accidentally hurting themselves, now would we? The European version will obviously have to cost $1199 more, in order to cover the cost of the enhanced safety features, and to ensure that the next Mac Pro is in full compliance with all of the genius regulations that the EU may think of.

post #27 of 81
Well, during WWII you would have needed 6 guys to hold up the fan.
post #28 of 81

Cook said it's coming so... it must be coming. That would be stupid of him to say so knowing that it's not true.

This news means that it's coming very soon right?

post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Well, during WWII you would have needed 6 guys to hold up the fan.

Hehe. Now that *would* need a protective grille.

post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

New one soon then

Strange remark; look at Final Cut Pro X: announced on April 12, 2011 and released on June 21. FCP EOL-ed right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156051/mac-pro-no-longer-available-from-european-online-apple-stores#post_2279931"]There is nothing to see here, IMO. Apple will release new Mac Pros sometime in 2013, and then all of the people who constantly talk about the Mac Pro line being "dead" or "discontinued" will have to admit that they don't know what they're talking about, and that they've all been regurgitating complete crap for a long time now.

Excellent point. Pros just work, many times on 'old' hardware. Many don't know what processor speed they have, how much RAM and all that. They just look at InDesign or whatever and say, hmm, maybe it's time to get a new Mac because it's slower than it used to be.

MMPP (My MP prediction):
  • 6 socket 4 and 6-core XEON CPU
  • 16 RAM slots, maxing out at 256GB
  • ODD (for mass DVD production you can't hand over a DVD anyway; that has to be on tape)
  • USB2/3 (no v3 needed but for future proofing it would make sense. CPU has to support it though)
  • 2xFW800 on the back (why dump it if they don't have to pay a software license)
  • 2xEth, 'many' TB, analogue/optical in/out, WiFi, BT and all that
  • 1 or 2 PSU
  • Similar chassis to current one, 19" high so can be put on shelve for racks,: stack all CPU's vertically (landscape orientation, at the front) and put all (6?) PCI cards behind that. Above that 1 or 2 PSU. So:

CPU PSU
CPU PSU
CPU
PCI
CPU PCI
CPU PCI
CPU PCI
                PCI
                PCI

Craply done layout but you'll 'get the picture' I trust: 6xCPU stacked at front, 6x PCI tacked at back + 2xPSU op top of that. Put air holes at the bottom with a filter, fans on top, sucking cold air and blow out the hot air at the top/back. Not regular fans, but the ones posted in yesterdays thread.
Edited by PhilBoogie - 2/19/13 at 2:29am
post #31 of 81

I'm looking at my Mac Pro, and I'll be darned if I can figure out a way to hurt myself on its fans. You would have to have a finger with a diameter smaller than 0.125" to get to the fans. What exactly is this EU regulation all about????

post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I'm looking at my Mac Pro, and I'll be darned if I can figure out a way to hurt myself on its fans. You would have to have a finger with a diameter smaller than 0.125" to get to the fans. What exactly is this EU regulation all about????

You can power up a MP with the side panel off (test RAM etc). Then you can hurt yourself. EU seems to be forgetting that if you drop a Mac Pro on your toes it will hurt as well. Amputating one if dropped at the right angle.
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You can power up a MP with the side panel off (test RAM etc). Then you can hurt yourself. EU seems to be forgetting that if you drop a Mac Pro on your toes it will hurt as well. Amputating one if dropped at the right angle.

You could hurt yourself on the electricity but not really the fans. The motors are too weak. If you jam your finger in they just stop, they don't chop it off.

post #34 of 81

I'm surprised to see it's also been removed from the Swiss store.  I thought this was an EU thing.

Edit:  oh, it's the IEC not the EU.  

Edited by robogobo - 2/19/13 at 3:13am
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quote:

You could hurt yourself on the electricity but not really the fans. The motors are too weak. If you jam your finger in they just stop, they don't chop it off.

I thought I'd simply post the exact ruling here, but certainly not going to pay 340 for it:
http://webstore.iec.ch/webstore/webstore.nsf/ArtNum_PK/35320

edit: there's a preview pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

I'm surprised to see it's also been removed from the Swiss store.  I thought this was an EU thing.

Seems logical; the IEC is based in Switzerland!

edit 2:
Where the safety regulation applies
The IEC 60950-1 amendment 1 applies to EU countries and EFTA states who follow those requirements.

This means that the full list of countries includes:

EU countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom

Countries on the road to EU membership:
Croatia, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey

European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries:
Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

There haven't been much of anything else getting released by anyone else in the top end systems because they are waiting on Intel to release the Ivy Bridge XEONs.

Everyone else in the top end systems is using Sandy Bridge.

The Mac Pro stopped being a top end system a while ago, especially the chip set and the GPUs are really outdated!

Edited by smalM - 2/19/13 at 3:50am
post #37 of 81
Quote:

The Mac Pro stopped being a top end system a while ago, especially the chip set and the GPUs are really outdated!

I believe that is because Apple is waiting for Intel to release their Haswell-DT CPU with the LGA1150 socket, which also would allow for USB3. ETA is June 2.

But don't take it from me as I am uneducated in the CPU department. Maybe JeffDM or Marvin can chime in here. They are doing that over here, sharing great info.
post #38 of 81
Quote:

Everyone else in the top end systems is using Sandy Bridge.

Really? Which dual CPU system on the market is Sandy Bridge?

Answer? None of them. Sandy Bridge doesn't support multiple CPUs. There's a reason for the Xeon line to exist.

Apple made a strategic decision to market the MacPro for only the very high end markets which typically require multiple CPUs. Because of that decision - and Intel's failure to release newer Xeon products - Apple is limited in what they can offer.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #39 of 81
Quote:

Strange remark; look at Final Cut Pro X: announced on April 12, 2011 and released on June 21. FCP EOL-ed right there.
Excellent point. Pros just work, many times on 'old' hardware. Many don't know what processor speed they have, how much RAM and all that. They just look at InDesign or whatever and say, hmm, maybe it's time to get a new Mac because it's slower than it used to be.

MMPP (My MP prediction):
  • 6 socket 4 and 6-core XEON CPU
  • 16 RAM slots, maxing out at 256GB
  • ODD (for mass DVD production you can't hand over a DVD anyway; that has to be on tape)
  • USB2/3 (no v3 needed but for future proofing it would make sense. CPU has to support it though)
  • 2xFW800 on the back (why dump it if they don't have to pay a software license)
  • 2xEth, 'many' TB, analogue/optical in/out, WiFi, BT and all that
  • 1 or 2 PSU
  • Similar chassis to current one, 19" high so can be put on shelve for racks,: stack all CPU's vertically (landscape orientation, at the front) and put all (6?) PCI cards behind that. Above that 1 or 2 PSU. So:

CPU PSU
CPU PSU
CPU
PCI
CPU PCI
CPU PCI
CPU PCI
                PCI
                PCI

Craply done layout but you'll 'get the picture' I trust: 6xCPU stacked at front, 6x PCI tacked at back + 2xPSU op top of that. Put air holes at the bottom with a filter, fans on top, sucking cold air and blow out the hot air at the top/back. Not regular fans, but the ones posted in yesterdays thread.

Pros fall into many categories and your summation is right on for most design related pros i know. Many I know are still using Snow Leopard on a five year+ old MacPro. The bleeding edge pros are the ones that use MacPros for high end video and craving more power to edit their 4K and up RED footage. It's for those guys and gals I hope there will soon be a new MacPro that blows us away for power and eats Cray's for lunch 1wink.gif.

I personally think it is important for Apple to have an "F1" flag ship with bragging rights even if they only sell a few.
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Pros fall into many categories and your summation is right on for most design related pros i know. Many I know are still using Snow Leopard on a five year+ old MacPro. The bleeding edge pros are the ones that use MacPros for high end video and craving more power to edit their 4K and up RED footage. It's for those guys and gals I hope there will soon be a new MacPro that blows us away for power and eats Cray's for lunch 1wink.gif.

I personally think it is important for Apple to have an "F1" flag ship with bragging rights even if they only sell a few.

I agree completely. The iMac is powerful enough for the vast majority of 'pro-sumer' users. With Thunderbolt expandability, there just aren't that many things that it won't handle easily. Sure, it's not an uber-gaming-system, but hard-core gamers are unlikely to be buying Macs, anyway.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac Pro no longer available from European Online Apple Stores