post #81 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Green 
When they care more about the Apple TV than the MacPro, that ought to be a giant red flag waving.  So I know it's an end of an era, and I'm as much a dinosaur as my computer is, and I'm only 38.  I'm still a fan of doing everything on site.

I don't quite see it that way. I'm impressed that we now get Macbook Pros with quad-core i7s that are the same performance as 2009 8-core Mac Pros and combined with the modern GPU and SSD are even faster. All for just $1799 and it'll just keep getting better as time goes on. That means the majority of the workstation stuff can be done on any hardware and the really heavy duty stuff, where even a single Mac Pro would struggle can be moved to the cloud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
I saw nothing that showed the size of the PS4.

It's not going to be anywhere near the size of a Mac Pro at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
The 8GB RAM the PS4 has will likely soldered to the board like in the PS3. You're talking about a dedicated machine, a gaming appliance, not a workstation PC that is designed with many other considerations.

They'll be one and the same one day. Everything will go SoC. Nobody wants to sell you a component any more, they want you to buy their motherboard, their IO devices, their GPU.

The way the PS4 is built is how everyone should be building computers, especially workstations. Having a single storage of high bandwidth memory shared by the CPU and GPU, which are as closely connected as possible, is the most efficient way to do it.