or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple accounts for 20% of all 2012 US consumer technology sales revenue

Apple accounts for 20% of all 2012 US consumer technology sales revenue

post #1 of 34
Apple was the third-largest consumer technology retailer in the U.S. in 2012, while its products accounted for the largest share of revenue among consumer tech companies.

NPD

New data released by The NPD Group on Tuesday revealed that Apple accounted for 19.9 percent of all domestic consumer technology sales, based on revenue, from last year. That number was up from the 17.3 percent share Apple took in 2011.

Apple's revenue easily beat out rival Samsung, which came in second with 9.3 percent, up from 7 percent in 2011. The rest of the top five saw their share of revenue fall in 2012: HP dipped from 8.9 percent in 2011 to 8.2 percent last year, while Sony and Dell both slid to 4.4 percent and 3 percent, respectively.

Together, Apple and Samsung accounted for $6.5 billion in increased sales in 2012. Meanwhile, the rest of the consumer technology industry saw sales decline by almost $9.5 billion in the U.S.

As a result, despite the gains seen by Apple and Samsung, retail sales in U.S. consumer technology declined 2 percent to $143 billion in 2012, according to NPD. Sales were also off less than 1 percent in 2011.

"While sales fell in consumer technology for the second consecutive year, there was an uptick in Q4 which is cause for optimism," said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at NPD. "After struggles with declining categories, and increasingly saturated markets over the last few years, fourth quarter?s results may be the first sign that even as a mature industry consumer technology can grow again, albeit with a very different dynamic than in previous growth spurts."

Apple also ranked third among consumer technology retailers, behind only Best Buy and Walmart. The Mac maker finished ahead of Amazon and Staples, which took fourth and fifth.

The top five categories for consumer electronics in the U.S. were notebooks, flat-panel TVs, smartphones, tablets, and desktop computers. Together, they accounted for 53 percent of sales in 2012, up from 49 percent in 2011.

NPD

The only two categories in the top five to see year-over-year growth were tablets and smartphones, markets where Apple competes with the iPad and iPhone.

The one market among the top five where Apple does not have a presence is flat-panel television sets, though there have been indications for years that the company may be interested in entering that market. NPD said that in 2012, HDTVs were "mired in a cycle of declining prices and weak volume."

While smartphone sales were up 25 percent and tablets surged 42 percent, flat-panel TVs saw sales decline by 7 percent. Notebook computers were also off 9 percent at U.S. retailers in 2012, while desktops slid 11 percent.

"The fact is that the stellar growth of the past few years has made growth today more difficult," Baker said. "Most market segments have high penetration rates and the demand for additional devices is slowing, or declining. Tablets and smartphones have been able to stimulate demand for additional devices, but unfortunately it hasn?t been enough, yet, to sustain positive growth trends."
post #2 of 34
Good news!
post #3 of 34

So who was #1 and #2?

post #4 of 34
The second chart makes no sense. Both columns are labeled "2011 Revenue Growth/Decline", I'm guessing the second one should be labeled 2012?
post #5 of 34

Obviously this means they are done. SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!/s

post #6 of 34
What exactly is technology retailer? Why is amazon in there?
post #7 of 34

clearly AAPL is doomed. 1wink.gif

post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

Good news!

I would say it's great news and very impressive.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So who was #1 and #2?

BestBuy #1. Walmart #2.

Apple is #1 OEM. Apple Retail Stores #3 retail outlet. This relates to consumer electronics.

But given Samsung grew by 33% and Apple by only 15%, I am sure this news will be seen as Apple failing by WS.
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Clearly; look at the tablets growth!

I think 2nd place for Samsung with 9% compared to Apples' 19% is quite a gap. It's not like everything Apple makes is twice as expensive. And Samsung sells amps and all that.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #11 of 34

Anecdotal, I know. But I go out of my way to only buy electronics that Apple makes. If Apple doesn't make it, I will do w/o!  

I just have a hard time with other manufactures shoddy design and clunky interfaces.

I was an early adopter with the orig. iPhone...which allowed me to sell my Exlim camera. Also, I gave away all my iPods to my nieces b/c of the iPhone. Got rid of my land line, and Fax machine (so '90's).

iP3Gs allowed me to not buy a stand alone GPS unit. (Used TomTom App-$30) Don't have a radio-use iPhone. Don't have head phones, use the earbuds from iPhone.

iPad2 allowed me to sell my MacBook.

Gone 4-5 years w/o a TV/DVD player. (which I do miss, a lot!) Hurry up Apple, I'm waiting for a TV! :)

Looking at a DSLR but again the interfaces seem so clunky so I will probably pass.

Of course, I have a wireless Brother MFC printer. Which I'm using less and less of. It's actually sitting plugged in, in a closet!

Considering the Nest thermostat....only b/c it's very Apple-like.

Will never buy a Ford car b/c it is infected with MS Sync, (now there's an oxymoron, i.e., "MS Sync")

Best :)

Edited by christopher126 - 2/19/13 at 7:43am
post #12 of 34
Take that investors!
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Gone 4-5 years w/o a TV. (which I do miss, a lot!) Hurry up Apple, I'm waiting for a TV! 1smile.gif

Really? You're missing out on some excellent TV shows.
post #14 of 34
Quote:

Anecdotal, I know. But I go out of my way to only buy electronics that Apple makes. If Apple doesn't make it, I will do w/o!  

I just have a hard time with other manufactures shoddy design and clunky interfaces.

I was an early adopter with the orig. iPhone...which allowed me to sell my Exlim camera. Also, I gave away all my iPods to my nieces b/c of the iPhone. Got rid of my land line, and Fax machine (so '90's).

iP3Gs allowed me to not buy a stand alone GPS unit. (Used TomTom App-$30) Don't have a radio-use iPhone. Don't have head phones, use the earbuds from iPhone.

iPad2 allowed me to sell my MacBook.

Gone 4-5 years w/o a TV/DVD player. (which I do miss, a lot!) Hurry up Apple, I'm waiting for a TV! 1smile.gif

Looking at a DSLR but again the interfaces seem so clunky so I will probably pass.

Of course, I have a wireless Brother MFC printer. Which I'm using less and less of. It's actually sitting plugged in, in a closet!

Considering the Nest thermostat....only b/c it's very Apple-like.

Will never buy a Ford car b/c it is infected with MS Sync, (now there's an oxymoron, i.e., "MS Sync")

Best 1smile.gif

While you may have gone to the extreme, you make an important point. The iPhone and iPad (and competitors' products as well) are reducing the number of devices we need. I don't have any figures, but it wouldn't surprise me if GPS sales have plummeted (both from mobile devices and their lower price when included in a car). iPod sales are dropping off. There's some sign that iPads/iPhones are impacting the gaming market.

Combined with that are the longevity issues. A decade or two ago, there was an unending demand for faster computers - so even a new computer probably only had a 3-5 year life. Today, even an entry level computer is faster than most people need - and will probably continue to exceed their needs for many years - so the replacement market for computers has declined. Similarly, for TVs, replacing tube sets with flat screens is easy to justify. Before that, replacing low def TVs with high def was easy. Replacement of B/W with color was easy. But today, what's the driving force? Existing TVs and media players are so good that any improvements are tiny - not enough to justify the cost (3D being the sole exception, but that has major limitations - including the fact that a significant percentage of the population can't see 3D effects).

Those markets are still growing very rapidly, but sales of existing products are declining (see the chart attached to this article).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #15 of 34
Quote:

I don't the purchase of a DSLR should be based on the quality of the interface. Heck, I hardly look at the interface: I set it to Manual and turn the right knobs while looking through the viewfinder. It's a tool, and a great picture is made by you, not the camera. Great photographers never blame their tools, and can create at from a cellphone camera, a 4x5, a DSLR or even a point-and-shoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't have any figures, but it wouldn't surprise me if GPS sales have plummeted (both from mobile devices and their lower price when included in a car).

I would hope so. As far as I'm concerned I could care less if Garmin goes out of business. Their hardware and software is of such despicable quality it makes one wonder if they only recruit ex-Microsoft employees.

Ok, that was more of a rant. Fully agree on your post; we use the iPhone for more things because Apple adds hardware components to it and devices last longer. Now, where's that Flip camera?
post #16 of 34
The story's headline and lede paragraph have things all garbled.

"Apple now has the largest share of consumer technology sales" should be the headline, or something like it.

The lede should read, "Apple now accounts for one-fifth of all U.S. consumer tech sales, twice as much as the second-place manufacturer Samsung, based largely on the growth of two new markets, tablets and smartphones."

Maybe in the second paragraph you might say, "Apple is also the third largest CE tech retailer, behind Best Buy and Walmart and ahead of Amazon . . . etc.

Soon maybe even Wall Street will recognize that Apple is now the main driving force in the leading edge of CE technology, and that it should be promoted as such, and not be hounded by parasitic short-selling, or whatever you call their cynical profiting by anti-Apple bad news mongering.

P.S.: I think Apple's next three moves are going to change the meme climate back in their favor. There's a display revolution in the works, something around TV, and something more portable, wearable or personal that causes Jony Ive to say they're working on the best stuff of his career so far.

Samsung has temporarily perverted the memesphere by introducing their glitzy mega phones. Shallow thinkers are easily fixated by the tech equivalent of bling. Wall Street and tech journalists are shallow thinkers by profession. Thankfully there's a reservoir of deeper thinkers who get the Apple story, some of them here on this very news site.
Edited by Flaneur - 2/19/13 at 8:45am
post #17 of 34

And yet, Google, that sells nothing, is over $800 and going. Pure madness.

post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"Apple now has the largest share of consumer technology sales" should be the headline, or something like it.

The story isn't about sales share, although sales are of course a factor.  

It's about share of total revenue, which is based on sales and prices together.

Similar to the way that Samsung outsells Apple in smartphones, but Apple has more revenue.

Quote:
Soon maybe even Wall Street will recognize that Apple is now the main driving force in the leading edge of CE technology, and that it should be promoted as such, and not be hounded by parasitic short-selling, or whatever you call their cynical profiting by anti-Apple bad news mongering.

Apple only sells in a few major CE categories.  The revenue here includes such things as game hardware, TVs, radios, etc... markets Apple isn't in so far.

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Really? You're missing out on some excellent TV shows.

I know...I really miss watching Formula One and the Tennis.

post #20 of 34
Quote:
... it wouldn't surprise me if GPS sales have plummeted (both from mobile devices and their lower price when included in a car). iPod sales are dropping off. .

Garmin is still doing OK, but they're fairly diversified. TomTom on the other hand not so much.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I would hope so. As far as I'm concerned I could care less if Garmin goes out of business. Their hardware and software is of such despicable quality it makes one wonder if they only recruit ex-Microsoft employees.

Ok, that was more of a rant. Fully agree on your post; we use the iPhone for more things because Apple adds hardware components to it and devices last longer. Now, where's that Flip camera?

I should have added point and shoot cameras and low end video cameras to my list. A lot of people don't even carry their digital cameras any more because cell phones are good enough for many purposes.

So, your new smartphone might replace:

iPod
GPS device
digital camera
video camera
portable game console

Anything else?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The story isn't about sales share, although sales are of course a factor.  

It's about share of total revenue, which is based on sales and prices together.

Similar to the way that Samsung outsells Apple in smartphones, but Apple has more revenue.

Good point. Makes the story even more significant, I think. Apple is exerting its leverage without undercutting other companies by selling at reduced margins, or at no margins.
post #23 of 34
Quote:

I don't the purchase of a DSLR should be based on the quality of the interface. Heck, I hardly look at the interface: I set it to Manual and turn the right knobs while looking through the viewfinder. It's a tool, and a great picture is made by you, not the camera. 

Good point...I'm going shopping this weekend! :)

post #24 of 34
Quote:

I should have added point and shoot cameras and low end video cameras to my list. A lot of people don't even carry their digital cameras any more because cell phones are good enough for many purposes.

So, your new smartphone might replace:

iPod
GPS device
digital camera
video camera
portable game console

Anything else?

Not a big item...but I occasionally used to use a digital recorder.

FM radio (I use TuneIn Radio App for NPR. And I listen to a lot of Podcasts, too.)

Thermometer. (Weather App)

Wristwatch.

Alarm clock. (Alarm App)

Compass (not a big deal)

Paper Calendar.

Paper address book.

Phone books.

Road Atlas.

Maps.

Photo Album Binders

Film and Developing.

Wall mounted Clocks.

Stand-a-lone calculator.

Paper Notepads.

Bank Statements/Checkbooks/deposit slips (Chase).

Stand-a-loneBusiness card scanner (CamCard App).

Magazines and Newspapers.

Books.

Recipe books.

Flashlight.

Audio books on CD.

CD's

DVD's

IRS Tax documents

Encyclopedias

Dictionary.

BlockBuster

CircuitCity

CompUSA

Gateway

Dell

Nokia

Sony

Motorola

HP

MS

Google (everything but Search-for now!)

Edited by christopher126 - 2/19/13 at 9:10am
post #25 of 34
Quote:

Anything else?

Lame, but here goes:

christopher126 has a much more appropriate answer.

Quote:

Quote:

...DSLR...
Good point...I'm going shopping this weekend! 1smile.gif

Don't forget: lenses matter most, the body not so much. Megapixels least of all, unless you are going into the Murals business.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Apple only sells in a few major CE categories.  The revenue here includes such things as game hardware, TVs, radios, etc... markets Apple isn't in so far.

Which is why I said "leading edge." Ten or twenty years from now it will be obvious that Apple has foresightedly taken personal computing to its logical next level, toward very personal, pocketable and wearable, that is to say, mobile and post-PC. This will devour gaming, radio, maybe even the TV screen on the wall. Jean-Louis Gassé had an interesting thing to say about this very-personal-computer idea the other day.

Anyway, those few major CE categories you mention are exactly where it's at in the future. If we compare it to previous tech revolutions, we're at the stage when Ford enters the auto market with his assembly line production, or when Radio Corporation of America figures out that a network based on entertainment shows could sell radios. Apple's time in the sun has just barely gotten underway, and we could expect a comparable influence over the economy as, say, Ford had in the twenties.
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Obviously this means they are done. SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossistboss View Post

Take that investors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

And yet, Google, that sells nothing, is over $800 and going. Pure madness.

Gee, lookit all the posters who never got the memo:  "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it's been."

Markets are mechanisms that (attempt to) sift thru all kinds of quantitative and other forms of data for companies' momentum and trajectory, not current speed or track record. I.e., it's not "well done, Apple," rather "what do I think you're about to do for me?"

Companies' stocks also get overbought and oversold during the struggle between fear and greed.  AAPL's arguably currently oversold, but until it unveils a new disruptive retail product is like to stay a bit of an under-performer in stock price. 

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Gee, lookit all the posters who never got the memo:  "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it's been."

Markets are mechanisms that (attempt to) sift thru all kinds of quantitative and other forms of data for companies' momentum and trajectory, not current speed or track record. I.e., it's not "well done, Apple," rather "what do I think you're about to do for me?"

Companies' stocks also get overbought and oversold during the struggle between fear and greed.  AAPL's arguably currently oversold, but until it unveils a new disruptive retail product is like to stay a bit of an under-performer in stock price. 

Gee, finally someone who can explain how markets operates. If only that someone learns what sarcasm is ;)

post #29 of 34
Re: "Apple accounted for 19.9 percent of all domestic consumer technology sales, based on revenue, from last year."

And that's with Apple TV still in the "hobby" stage.
The creaky old TV industry, as a whole, is ripe for innovative disruption.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #30 of 34
I wonder what that translates into as profits.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #31 of 34
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I wonder what that translates into as profits.

Ballparking here… "most".

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ballparking here… "most".

post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Gee, lookit all the posters who never got the memo:  "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it's been."...

...AAPL's arguably currently oversold, but until it unveils a new disruptive retail product is like to stay a bit of an under-performer in stock price. 

Apple is constantly skating to where the puck will be! That's why they make so much more money than everyone else.

So now Apple has to come out with a market changing device every year or it's curtains. But everyone else just needs to copy what Apple makes... got it.

post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Apple is constantly skating to where the puck will be! That's why they make so much more money than everyone else.

So now Apple has to come out with a market changing device every year or it's curtains. But everyone else just needs to copy what Apple makes... got it.

I didn't say APPLE isn't executing a sound business and technology plan or won't succeed at "skating to where the puck is going to be" - as I certainly hope they do.  My point is that many posters (over and over and over on hundreds of threads) keep acting as if the markets are stupid because they're not impressed by what's already happened....  ....but in fact that ISN'T how investor psychology and stock markets operate. Markets are "future expectations discounting mechanisms" that are always aiming at predicting where stock prices are going to go. 

And yeah, they often pay too much attention to what are known on these forums to the pronouncements of "anal-lysts" who really don't know Apple as well as many here do as a culture and company. And they also get alternately irrationally exuberant and irrationally pessimistic in a crowd-psychology kind of way, for longer or shorter periods of time, but nonetheless that's how things roll in the financial world. 

They also respond to "exogenous events" in the worlds of politics and general expectations about things - and to news (and opinions) about other companies who seem (to them) to maybe have more (or less) "mo" than Apple.

Finally, while it's been brought up many times that Apple DOESN'T in fact bring out totally ground-breaking and industry transforming products every year or even every two, investors are NOT the only ones wondering how they're going to fare at that particular task in coming years with Jobs gone for good. 

That is, I don't believe the answer to the question of just how key he was in this aspect of Apple is known to anyone yet (except maybe in the boardrooms and labs at Apple, and if they've already got something huge and new well underway, they ain't talking and we don't know).

So until it's demonstrated they DO indeed still have that disruptive mojo that made them the world's largest "growth" company ever, a bit of uncertainty is going to help create a ceiling on how high Apple's stock price can go, despite their current success. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Gee, finally someone who can explain how markets operates. If only that someone learns what sarcasm is ;)

I totally understood that you and other posters were being sarcastic. Nor do I necessarily disagree with you that Google's (or say, Amazon's) stock price compared to Apple's based on many factors, is possibly a huge miscalculation (or to use your word, "madness") by many analysts and investors.

In fact I personally suspect you're more right than wrong.  But I really don't know.  Understanding a little about the factors that effect markets in general after 30 years of investing (which is all I claim, but which still puts me in the position of knowing more than many - but not all - who post on these topics), in no way makes me or anyone able to either a) know what the "proper price" of any given stock ought to be, or b) to be able to predict future stock prices with any precision at all. 

That is, it's all a matter of how those famous "known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns" play out over time.

Edited by bigpics - 2/20/13 at 5:45am

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple accounts for 20% of all 2012 US consumer technology sales revenue