or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI

HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI

post #1 of 221
HTC on Tuesday took the wraps off its latest "One" smartphone, sporting a 4.7-inch high-definition display with 468 pixels per inch, powered by a 1.7-gigahertz quad-core Snapdragon processor, all encased in an iPhone-like aluminum shell.

HTC

The Snapdragon 600 processor in the HTC One features 2 gigabytes of RAM, and it is one of the first handsets to feature the new CPU. It's encased in unibody machined aluminum with a Gorilla Glass 2 covered display.

The HTC One measures 0.37 inches thick and weighs 143 grams. It also includes either 32 or 64 gigabytes of storage, maxing out at a number equal to Apple's most spacious iPhone 5 model. Like the iPhone, and unlike many competing Android devices, the HTC One lacks an SD card slot for expansion.

On the software side, the HTC One runs Google's Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Laid atop the operating system is HTC's Sense 5 user interface, which boats the company's new "BlinkFeed" live stream.

"HTC BlinkFeed is a bold new experience that transforms the home screen into a single live stream of personally relevant information such as social updates, entertainment and lifestyle updates, news and photos with immersive images so that people no longer need to go to separate applications to find out what's happening," the company said in a press release.

The new flagship smartphone from HTC also features what the company has dubbed as an "UltraPixel Camera. The camera offers just 4-megapixel photos, but HTC said it doesn't want consumers to buy into the "myth of the megapixel."

HTC

Instead, HTC says the new One captures 300 percent more light than current competing smartphone sensors, offering "astounding low-light performance."

A unique feature of the HTC One is what the company has branded as "BoomSound." The smartphone boasts forward-facing stereo speakers complete with a dedicated amplifier and Beats Audio integration.

In the U.S., the HTC One will be available on major carriers AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile beginning in March, leaving Verizon out of the mix. HTC said the One will be available globally through more than 185 mobile operators and major retailers in more than 80 regions and countries.

"People today immerse themselves in a constant stream of updates, news and information," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation. "Although smartphones are one of the main ways we stay in touch with the people and information we care about, conventional designs have failed to keep pace with how people are actually using them. A new, exciting approach to the smartphone is needed and with the new HTC One, we have re-imagined the mobile experience from the ground up to reflect this new reality."

The HTC One has seen a number of leaks in recent weeks, revealing the device before Tuesday's official unveiling. Those leaks revealed that the device took a number of design cues from Apple's iPhone 5, including chamfered edges and a black anodized aluminum frame.

Those initial suspicions were confirmed on Tuesday by Engadget, which said in its first hands-on with the HTC One that its "polished edges remind us of the iPhone 5." Author Myriam Joire also compared the design of the HTC One to the recently unveiled BlackBerry 10.
post #2 of 221
Wow. Looks beautiful. Can't wait for Apple to offer a big screen phone once it's ready in 2016.
post #3 of 221
Those polished edges look really familiar....
post #4 of 221

htc is so stupid... They already had a better phone than the galaxy s3 (a much better phone). Hell, most OEMs have better phones than the s3... It's all about marketing and the fact that stupid people prefer the s3.

post #5 of 221
But it still runs Android....

And quite honestly, is it really necessary to have a quad-core CPU in a phone? Seems like a battery eater to me. Even if Apple puts one in the next iPhone I won't oooo and ahhh over the stupid CPU. The current CPU is more than powerful enough. These guys really need to focus on the experience, not the actual hardware itself. This is what separates Apple from the rest.
post #6 of 221
Hey look it's an iPhone! Oh wait. Just a cheap knock off with crap apps.
post #7 of 221
Well, maybe it'll take some sales from Samsung, and we know HTC pays Apple for each one sold. Win, win.
post #8 of 221
That's a pretty phone. I'm jealous.
post #9 of 221
"On the software side, the HTC One runs Google's Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Laid atop the operating system is HTC's Sense 5 user interface, which boats the company's new "BlinkFeed" live stream."

Which is fancy-talk for "it'll run jelly bean forever"
post #10 of 221
Well, I'll be dammed. I still won't jump ship, but good for them. This is a really cool phone. The specs are great and it looks like they are paying attention to the things that matter.
post #11 of 221
I like it when everyone looks good, so I won't begrudge HTC or BlackBerry for recognizing a trendsetting style. Neither is a blatant copy--a la samsung.
post #12 of 221
Looks great, but slightly familiar. Oh, wait. I already have an iPhone 5.

Compared to iPhone: weight 28%; thickness 24%. Pass.
And... HTC will not state battery life on its website. You figure out why!
post #13 of 221
I'd take an HTC phone over Samsung phone anyway day- the build quality, not to mention their Android skin, is leagues better. Unfortunately none of that matters, because of HTC's shit marketing, which is why the company is still struggling.
post #14 of 221

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N9A8NnBbW_A

No, it doesn't "look just like an iPhone" IMHO. That's unless you think because it's uses some aluminum it's a knockoff. In that case, yeah, it's a dead-on copy.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #15 of 221

Looks good. I'd prefer it with stock Android, and not the Sense UI crapped baked on though -- but I'm sure that the enthusiast community will have an answer for that quickly.

I've been with Apple since the iPhone 3GS (I've since bought a 4, 4S, 5, and countless other Apple devices), but I may consider jumping ship for a large screen 1080p Android phone if Apple doesn't answer with their own.

post #16 of 221
468 ppi! Man is that overkill. A printed glossy magazine is 300 ppi - really no need for any more.
post #17 of 221

It definitely ups the ante.

Apple, are you listening.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #18 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

468 ppi! Man is that overkill. A printed glossy magazine is 300 ppi - really no need for any more.

• 3.5" is perfect! We don't need anything larger because it's overkill; it will be difficult to use and won't fit in our pockets...
  • We don't need more than 256MB of RAM; more RAM = more battery used and Apple is all about battery life...
  • LTE is overkill and a battery waster 4G is good enough. Who needs LTE on a smartphone anyway...
post #19 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

And quite honestly, is it really necessary to have a quad-core CPU in a phone? Seems like a battery eater to me.

ARM says it works the other way around actually. More cores = better power efficiency. 

post #20 of 221
Now with Live Tiles, because we throw everything at the wall to see what sticks without regard for the user experience, even if now copying a marketplace loser.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #21 of 221
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

• 3.5" is perfect! We don't need anything larger because it's overkill; it will be difficult to use and won't fit in our pockets...
  • We don't need more than 256MB of RAM; more RAM = more battery used and Apple is all about battery life...
  • LTE is overkill and a battery waster 4G is good enough. Who needs LTE on a smartphone anyway...

Not the same. There is a limit to visual acuity. How close does it have to be do your face to see the improvement in detail? 6"? Do you realize how ridiculous that is? At the expense of how much GPU power and battery life? This is just going for the specs because they can.
post #22 of 221
Man, I'd give anything to have an iPhone version of that.
post #23 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

ARM says it works the other way around actually. More cores = better power efficiency. 

Well of course! You have to do something to keep the battery life above 30 minutes. That doesn't mean it gets better battery life. 

post #24 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not the same. There is a limit to visual acuity. How close does it have to be do your face to see the improvement in detail? 6"? Do you realize how ridiculous that is? At the expense of how much GPU power and battery life? This is just going for the specs because they can.

1080p is the new high-mark for smartphones, so it's par for the course. If this thing came with a 720p display, it'd be laughed at for not being dense enough. It has a 1080p display, and people call it overkill. They can't win!!!! 1hmm.gif

post #25 of 221
Quote:

A direct comparison cannot be made between printed matter----of which the printed images are 300ppi---and screen pixel resolution. When referring to printed images, the resolution is based on DPI (dots per inch) or LPI (lines per inch). A good quality printed glossy magazine usually prints @ 175-200 LPI/DPI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone ----or---- Stochastic screening  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic_screening which is like a dither pattern and, since there's not a set grid of halftone dots, allows the perception of higher resolution.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #26 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N9A8NnBbW_A

No, it doesn't "look just like an iPhone" IMHO. That's unless you think because it's uses some aluminum it's a knockoff. In that case, yeah, it's a dead-on copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

Looks great, but slightly familiar. Oh, wait. I already have an iPhone 5.

Compared to iPhone: weight 28%; thickness 24%. Pass.
And... HTC will not state battery life on its website. You figure out why!

If the camera industry was as "sue-happy" as the smart phone one over "form factor resemblance," there wouldn't be any cams - they're mostly "replicants" within type groups - and have been for decades....  ...how many ways are there to effectively pack this kind of functionality into a pocketable package this size in an ergonomically friendly and visually appealing way?   A few, but not that damn many....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #27 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

That's a pretty phone. I'm jealous.

Yes, that is a very pretty phone. Very Apple worthy. Love the gently curved back.

Jealous, too.

post #28 of 221
This is the first Android phone I'd seriously consider over the iPhone I've been using for the past 5 years. The screen is incredible, far better than the iPhones, and the hardware is just as gorgeous if not more. Main factor would be battery life. But, it's really starting to show, other companies are legitimately doing more to compete than Apple.
post #29 of 221
Looks pretty impressive, to be honest.

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #30 of 221
Familiar casing eh? Framentation crap. Malware. Google Evil. Big as my car, you look dumb holding it to your head cause phone are fashion. 1080p too much. Prob explodes after eating batteries.
post #31 of 221
Article about a new product from a competitor, zero tie to Apple or any information therewith.

Uh… the news goings-on of Google and friends is fine. But do we care about their new products? 

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
Wow. Looks beautiful. Can't wait for Apple to offer a big screen phone once it's ready in 2016.

¡

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
It definitely ups the ante.

In what possible way?

Apple, are you listening.

They've never listened to spec whores.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #32 of 221
Quote:

1080p is the new high-mark for smartphones, so it's par for the course. If this thing came with a 720p display, it'd be laughed at for not being dense enough. It has a 1080p display, and people call it overkill. They can't win!!!! 1hmm.gif

Spec-swinging. It's like what, the second phone that is 1080p? Is it worth sacrificing something like frame rate for something that's of negligible visual improvement? For best user experience, it's better to to straggle the pack than keep up with a spec of dubious value.
post #33 of 221
why doesn't htc's phone icon have a green background? According to Sammy, that's the convergence of design, which happens to look like Apple's icon.
post #34 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

ARM is basically lying then. AFAIK, it was Nvidia that was really driving the wrongheaded notion that more cores result in better power efficiency, not really ARM. Nividia is rather impressive in its market-speak, and the tech media amplify it every time.

post #35 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Spec-swinging. It's like what, the second phone that is 1080p? Is it worth sacrificing something like frame rate for something that's of negligible visual improvement? For best user experience, it's better to to straggle the pack than keep up with a spec of dubious value.

If it's on a spec sheet, then yes. :)

/s

post #36 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

htc is so stupid... They already had a better phone than the galaxy s3 (a much better phone). Hell, most OEMs have better phones than the s3... It's all about marketing and the fact that stupid people prefer the s3.

They're not stupid, they just can't compete with the level of marketing Samsung does.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #37 of 221

I like it, even if it's a blatant copy of the iPhone 5 on the back, and of the Blackberry Z10 on the front.

The UI looks much better than stock Android, and the picture gallery with the movie images is a nice feature.

Also the options on the camera allow for nice retouches like this one :

htc one.jpg

What I don't like is how it looks from the sides.

Edited by ClemyNX - 2/19/13 at 10:00am
post #38 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

Well, maybe it'll take some sales from Samsung, and we know HTC pays Apple for each one sold. Win, win.

Unfortunately for Apple, it will also take sales away from the iPhone. Personally, I moved to a HTC DNA instead of upgrading to an iPhone 5 when my iPhone 4 contract was up. Chances are, I won't be back using an iOS phone, ever.

iOS is clearly easier to use than Android. No argument there. However, it is far more flexible/powerful as long as the end user doen't mind putting a little, and I do mean "little", effort into learning Android.

In addition to software flexibility there is also the much larger variety of good quality hardware to choose from.

I think the biggest mistake Apple is making is trying to be the same Apple that they were when Steve Jobs was running the show. They won't be nearly as successful at it. We are seeing the first stages of that now.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #39 of 221
Quote:

You forgot to add that these aren't claims made by Apple, but by many a poster.
post #40 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In what possible way?

They've never listened to spec whores.

#1. That you can't see that it is a nice looking phone does not surprise me.

#2. Spec whores? This phone has more going for it than just specs. Refer to #1.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI