or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI - Page 4

post #121 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


I have said nothing of the sort: you're twisting this into something else. And now you've quoted the number of years you've (allegedly) used Macs. That doesn't matter to me because I don't judge you based on some fealty to Apple.

You came here and you told people to try Android, because you like Android. And I'm telling you that people like iPhones, and there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't ask to be 'saved' from iPhone. All the things that you perceive as iPhone's flaws, such as the home button, or boring UI, can also be perceived as strengths. But you won't hear any of that. And now you're caught up in reframing this discussion as "I'm a rational person who can appreciate Android, but I can't have 'conversation' about how awful iPhone is with all you 'immature' people unless I prove that I've used Macs for 15 years." That's the wrong way to look at this.

I mentioned my experience with Macs b/c I feel that if I'm here talking about Android (this is still a thread about a new Android phone on AI) I might be labeled as an apple hater/phandroid. I'm just a happy Mac user that uses Android. I jumped into this thread b/c I saw (and always see on this site) alot of anti-Android talk and I wondered (out loud) if anyone has actually used recent versions of Android. 

post #122 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is there a specific HTC model the iPhone 5 reminds you of?  I don't think this new HTC phone is a complete iPhone 5 ripoff (some would argue it looks Iike the new Blackberry) but aluminum with what appears to be chamfered edges does seem to take cues from the 5.

I specifically stated the 2-tone design which can be seen on the one-s, the legend, the desire, the sensation.

 

like http://www.htcsensation.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/HTC-Sensaiton-XL.jpg.

 

Where all other phones were mostly one color, HTC has done the 2-tone backs (and sometimes front) for some time. One reason I never liked them, and I also don't like it on the iPhone5.

 

The chamfered edges remind me more of the iPod/iPad, and the first artist impressions of the expected iPhone 5, which never came to light as the iPhone 5 has a flat back.But looking again the above url with the sensation XL, the new One actually looks a lot like that one.

post #123 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpho View Post

I mentioned my experience with Macs b/c I feel that if I'm here talking about Android (this is still a thread about a new Android phone on AI) I might be labeled as an apple hater/phandroid. I'm just a happy Mac user that uses Android. I jumped into this thread b/c I saw (and always see on this site) alot of anti-Android talk and I wondered (out loud) if anyone has actually used recent versions of Android. 

Your initial comment was not about the merits of Android or why you prefer it. Instead you implied that anyone who uses it is a simpleton who doesn't understand tech and is stuck in 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpho 
has anyone here who is putting down the Android UI or workflow ever used a recent Android device? Android is more interesting and capable than iOS which I feel is so simple so it can appeal to anyone but not necessarily the tech inclined. I had an iphone from launch until about a year and a half ago and I would never go back. I don't care about specs, but its nice to know there are options other than one phone. when I pick up my wife's iphone I feel like I'm transplanted right back to 2007- that home button has to go especially.

Whether your intention or not your comment screams concern troll.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #124 of 221

I had to look up "concern troll" - haha, internet language.

I think there were quite alot of anti-Android comments before mine. and I don't think those posters used android. I've used both. 

post #125 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpho View Post

I had to look up "concern troll" - haha, internet language.
I think there were quite alot of anti-Android comments before mine. and I don't think those posters used android. I've used both. 

And the blatant anti-Android comments aren't respected either, at least by me.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #126 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Then there were others that bought into the BOGO events.

 

They'd have likely bought that device anyway.

 

BOGO is not "get one free", since it requires signing TWO x 2-year long contracts just to get half price on each device.  BOGO works best for models that people have desired for a while.

 

If they just wanted cheap, they could get a "free" iPhone (or other phone) by itself with a 2-year contract.   Two of them would be GOGO... "get one free + get one free", a much better price than BOGO.


Edited by KDarling - 2/19/13 at 1:16pm
post #127 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And the blatant anti-Android comments aren't respected either, at least by me.

actually you are right - my initial comments were alittle out of line. I would prefer not to have the platform bashing - especially by those who have never used what they are bashing. 

post #128 of 221
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
Not sure why people keep bringing up BOGO offers, when there are iPhones available for even less.

 

Not sure why you keep pretending two year old phones are the same as three month old flagships.

post #129 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I specifically stated the 2-tone design which can be seen on the one-s, the legend, the desire, the sensation.

 

like http://www.htcsensation.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/HTC-Sensaiton-XL.jpg.

 

Where all other phones were mostly one color, HTC has done the 2-tone backs (and sometimes front) for some time. One reason I never liked them, and I also don't like it on the iPhone5.

 

The chamfered edges remind me more of the iPod/iPad, and the first artist impressions of the expected iPhone 5, which never came to light as the iPhone 5 has a flat back.But looking again the above url with the sensation XL, the new One actually looks a lot like that one.

Hmm..that doesn't really remind me of iPhone 5.  Anyway I'm not suggesting the HTC One is a complete ripoff of the iPhone 5 or Z10  but clearly reminds me of both.

post #130 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I specifically stated the 2-tone design which can be seen on the one-s, the legend, the desire, the sensation.

 

like http://www.htcsensation.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/HTC-Sensaiton-XL.jpg.

 

Where all other phones were mostly one color, HTC has done the 2-tone backs (and sometimes front) for some time. One reason I never liked them, and I also don't like it on the iPhone5.

 

The chamfered edges remind me more of the iPod/iPad, and the first artist impressions of the expected iPhone 5, which never came to light as the iPhone 5 has a flat back.But looking again the above url with the sensation XL, the new One actually looks a lot like that one.

 

Personally, I think the 2013 HTC One looks more like the iPhone 5 than this Sensation. It's all in the corner radii. The ratio of corner radii to device size on the Sensation appear much bigger than the 2013 HTC One or iPhone 5.

 

Also, I disagree with you on the 2 tone backs and design language similarities between the Sensation and the 2013 HTC One. To me, the 2013 HTC One is just an aluminized version of the 2012 HTC One. I guess the micro-arc oxidization didn't really work out, but the basic shape between the two is really similar. Where the 2012 and 2013 HTC One differ, HTC made it more iPhone like. They straightened the sides instead of a super slight curve and made the corner radii more iPhone like. With the chamfer, that makes the front look like iPhone. Otherwise, the 2013 HTC One is really a 2012 HTC One with an aluminum casing, thinner, and plastic breaks for antenna design.

 

The 2 tone ornamental language in the Sensation is more a fashion, like the crazy plateaus in the Droid Incredible. I don't see it any resemblence of maintaining a 2-tone color design language in the 2013 HTC One. But it's neither here now there. It's no Samsung copying the 3G/3GS with it's plethora of Galaxy phones in 2010/2011 and even into 2012.

post #131 of 221
That's a gorgeous phone, but I'm a bit dubious about the camera being everything they say it is. I want to see some side by side comparison images before I make any judgements.

Love that screen though. This is what I've been wanting the iPhone to evolve into since the disappointment that was the 4S.

As for people complaining about no stated battery life, I'm not too worried about it seeing how I can't get through the day without plugging my 5 in at least twice, once in the car and again at the office.
At least buying spare chargers for this would be a heck of a lot cheaper since it doesn't use proprietary plugs. Heck I've got a drawer full of USB cords.
post #132 of 221
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
…better device?
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
(and some better ones). 

 

Subjective? What's the criteria here?

 


Originally Posted by igriv View Post
As far as I know, quad core phones are not particularly known for battery problems.

 

That's the opposite of everything I've read, at least. 

post #133 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

 

Is there any evidence for this whatsoever? In a real live device?

 

Tegra 3 did this. Did Tegra 3 devices end up being the longest lasting devices in the market?

 

If it is really useful, why doesn't Intel do this in their mobile processors?


We will likely soon find out when Samsung put their new Exynos chips with A7 and A15 cores into one of their phones.  Arm claims that up to 70% energy savings will be possible.

 

 

Quote:
ARM's big.LITTLE Processing basically allows manufacturers to pair A7 and A15 ARM CPUs on a single platform. The A7 is responsible for less demanding background processing, while the A15 is used to deliver highest performance when required. Devices seamlessly select the right processor for the right task depending on the workload, thus extending battery life without compromising performance. big.LITTLE Processing is expected to offer up to 70 percent processor energy savings, compared to today's mainstream smartphones.
post #134 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

As far as I know, quad core phones are not particularly known for battery problems.

A battery problem is not the same as having significantly reduced battery life compared to any potential performance increases with a mobile OS.

I think it's up in the air whether Apple will even use a quad-core next time around. Eventually they will but to add it for it's own sake without consideration as to how it affects the battery life and performance for iOS is a mistake. They haven't jumped it foolishly like this yet and I don't think they'll start now. Other vendors have a long history of not caring as much about the UX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

SInce the more ppi the more expensive the thing is to make, I can only guess that HTC actually tried it and saw it was better...

That ignores the trying to win the Spec-ial Olympics in the CE market. They could have done it because they know it would get talked about which could turn into real consumer interest.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #135 of 221

Seriously... this really troubles me. The amount of stupid people polluting forums (and actually buying phones) is staggering.

 

"Samsung needs competition". -- Seriously? Samsung represents the "trash" inside the android world. Only someone very very very stupid that can be easily manipulated buys galaxy S3. It's a fact, there's no discussion. Most highend phones are better than the s3 in EVERY SINGLE WAY, but because samsung spent 15 billions on advertising, I have to read and listen to these brainwashed idiots.

 

I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE THAT HAS A S3 TO TRY AND EXPLAIN WHY THEY BOUGHT THAT PHONE, knowing that better phones on every single metric are available. Seriously stupid fandroid sheeps, try it.

 

The previous ONE line was already better than the S3 (screen, performance, build quality, UI, cost... everything), and some people think that Samsung is the top dog because it makes the best android phones? Please, educate yourself.

 

Meanwhile, HTC is developing great devices like these recent models, but they won't become healthy again if they don't invest more on advertising. No one needs Samsung-levels of ads, but a nice serious ad that says how many phones are better than samsung phones (with facts, like: "our new phone is faster, has a better screen, better build quality, better UI, better design and is more powerful. Meanwhile, millions are still buying the galaxy S3. Are you as stupid as them?").

post #136 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Just the 2 biggest carriers in the biggest and growing smartphone market in the world. One can argue that VZW singlehandedly propelled Android to where it is today, and the same can be said of ATT and the iPhone. Can the same be said of any other carrier in the world?

 

How are ATT and VZW  the biggest carriers in the biggest market when they actually rank 19th and 21st in number of subscribers in world rankings?


The US market is often touted as being near saturation point, so it's growth potential isn't that great in world terms.

 

You should get out more.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators

post #137 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

How are ATT and VZW  the biggest carriers in the biggest market when they actually rank 19th and 21st in number of subscribers in world rankings?


The US market is often touted as being near saturation point, so it's growth potential isn't that great in world terms.

You should get out more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators

You're talking about the entirty of mobile handset subscribers but the OP is clearly talking about smartphones; high-end smartphones at that. China Mobile might have a few million iPhones on it but they aren't official and they are using '2G' EDGE as the fastest data option from the carrier.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #138 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

 

Personally, I think the 2013 HTC One looks more like the iPhone 5 than this Sensation. It's all in the corner radii. The ratio of corner radii to device size on the Sensation appear much bigger than the 2013 HTC One or iPhone 5.

 

Also, I disagree with you on the 2 tone backs and design language similarities between the Sensation and the 2013 HTC One. To me, the 2013 HTC One is just an aluminized version of the 2012 HTC One. I guess the micro-arc oxidization didn't really work out, but the basic shape between the two is really similar. Where the 2012 and 2013 HTC One differ, HTC made it more iPhone like. They straightened the sides instead of a super slight curve and made the corner radii more iPhone like. With the chamfer, that makes the front look like iPhone. Otherwise, the 2013 HTC One is really a 2012 HTC One with an aluminum casing, thinner, and plastic breaks for antenna design.

 

The 2 tone ornamental language in the Sensation is more a fashion, like the crazy plateaus in the Droid Incredible. I don't see it any resemblence of maintaining a 2-tone color design language in the 2013 HTC One. But it's neither here now there. It's no Samsung copying the 3G/3GS with it's plethora of Galaxy phones in 2010/2011 and even into 2012.

It's a bad sign when you have your design chief giving interviews on why your phone is better than the iPhone. When's the last time Jony Ive ever did that?  Why mention Apple at all?  All it does is give the impression you're obsessed with Apple and your design brief was to outdo Apple in design.  How about having a original design that didn't lead to comparisons with Apple?  A unibody aluminum phone with chamfered edges isn't a good start.

post #139 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's a bad sign when you have your design chief giving interviews on why your phone is better than the iPhone. When's the last time Jony Ive ever did that?  Why mention Apple at all?  All it does is give the impression you're obsessed with Apple and your design brief was to outdo Apple in design.  How about having a original design that didn't lead to comparisons with Apple?  A unibody aluminum phone with chamfered edges isn't a good start.

It's not his fault that the iPhone has become the measuring stick they all have to design against.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #140 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

How are ATT and VZW  the biggest carriers in the biggest market when they actually rank 19th and 21st in number of subscribers in world rankings?


The US market is often touted as being near saturation point, so it's growth potential isn't that great in world terms.

You should get out more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators

And you should learn reading comprehension, keyword is 'smartphone' not cell phone. I thought the US market was near saturation 2 yrs ago yet the amount of subscribers gained by VZW and ATT every quarter is astonishing. FYI I work outdoors so I'm out a lot more than you are.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #141 of 221
468 ppi? At what point can we call this overkill? After retina, by definition finer resolution than you can see, what good are more ppi?
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #142 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Don't Androids have a home button? I guess you like the soft keys. Those remind me of my old flip phone.

The home button is now on the screen.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #143 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


You're talking about the entirty of mobile handset subscribers but the OP is clearly talking about smartphones; high-end smartphones at that. China Mobile might have a few million iPhones on it but they aren't official and they are using '2G' EDGE as the fastest data option from the carrier.


And would you say the same about Vodafone, who might well have more smartphone users than ATT and VZW combined?  48% of Vodafone subscribers in Ireland use smartphones, and that in a country in economic dire straits at the personal as well as national level.  The OP stated this handset would fail, because of how ATT and VZW operate.  I was just trying to point out that in global terms, they don't really matter and are not in any position to determine whether or not this handset 'fails.'


Edited by cnocbui - 2/19/13 at 3:02pm
post #144 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're talking about the entirty of mobile handset subscribers but the OP is clearly talking about smartphones; high-end smartphones at that. China Mobile might have a few million iPhones on it but they aren't official and they are using '2G' EDGE as the fastest data option from the carrier.

And many of those iPhones in China weren't originally purchased there.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #145 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

468 ppi? At what point can we call this overkill? After retina, by definition finer resolution than you can see, what good are more ppi?

 

Oh we will know soon. By soon, I mean in about 9 months or so. If a product truly over serves a customers needs, you'll see the prices come down as customers will buy cheaper options and update cycles will increase. It'll be reflected in decreasing ASPs of the devices.

post #146 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

468 ppi? At what point can we call this overkill? After retina, by definition finer resolution than you can see, what good are more ppi?

When the iMac first came out Jony Ive said companies focus on specs because they're easier to communicate value.  It's easier to say 5 is better than 2.  For me when it comes to smartphones the two things right now I consider spec whoring are 1080p displays and quad-core processors.  Could probably throw in megapixels too.  They're there primarily because they look good on a spec sheet and all the geeks on tech sites will drool over them.  And since Apple takes a different approach it's a way for them to get the tech press and broader media to declare their phone better than the iPhone because they can check a bunch of stuff off a list.  And you know, quad core always sounds better than dual core. ;-)

post #147 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

A unibody aluminum phone with chamfered edges isn't a good start.

 

The time frames are quite close such that it's likely a coincidence. Either that, or there was a bit of industrial espionage going on. If the chamfer size end up being really close, I would actually give a little credence to industrial espionage. But who knows. Other than the straightening out of the sides and the chamfer, I think HTC One is its own unique device, with a direct lineage to the HTC One in 2012.

 

Got to wonder if HTC's designers had a bit of melt down when they saw the iPhone 5 design. Then another melt down after the Blackberry Z10 design was shown. Those two just basically took all the pop out of the 2013 HTC One design. Secrecy is indeed important, as well as a backup design.

 

They are now basically left with touted the dual/stereo speakers and the camera as headlining features. Mind that I love the multi-speaker and better low light performance camera designs, but initial impressions are hugely important, and that's the case of the device. Crazy.

post #148 of 221

@ecpho

 

Don't fight it.  This is AI.  Most here are incapable of any criticism of Apple.  Tim Cook could kill puppies and kittens for lunch and many here would defend that as brilliant, and label critics as Apple haters.   Bookmark this thread. And when Apple release a larger and denser screen, and the usual suspects prattle on incessantly about how its a game-changing move, you can post their comments back in reply.

 

 

On topic, I don't think Apple will release a higher resolution screen until they release a larger screen.  But on the Android side, it's pretty obvious (looking at larger screens), that a higher resolution is useful.  I, too agree, that if you look carefully, you can see the pixels.  And it's far more noticeable on a bigger screen.  No idea why that is.  Is it bothersome? No.  It requires effort to notice the pixels.  Is it good that OEMs are improving their screens.  Obviously.  As long as the overall experience is improved by the new screen, I fail to see why anybody should write it off as unnecessary or excessive. 

 

What's the big deal?  Most here are exceptionally loyal to Apple.  And won't comparison shop.  Ever.  Your first destination in the mall, is the Apple Store.  Heck, there's probably days when it's the only destination for most of you.  Nothing wrong with it.  But don't try and pretend that most of you are the average consumer.  The average consumer when precedented with a plethora of choice in his carrier's store may well decide that this screen is impressive enough to put his hard-earned money towards.  And if it's the one little bit that pushes the One over the top, then I am sure HTC will be quite happy with the results.  They've been struggling.  So kudos to them for going all out.  All of us gain from the competition.

post #149 of 221

One point I will throw out there on supposed "spec-whoring":

 

It's far easier to explain what 1080p means to the average smartphone buyer than 640x1136.

 

"Same resolution as your TV at home."

 

Of course, customers will place several phones (including the iPhone) beside each other to compare what the screens look like, and that will probably factor in to the decisions of those who are on the fence.

post #150 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

One point I will throw out there on supposed "spec-whoring":

 

It's far easier to explain what 1080p means to the average smartphone buyer than 640x1136.

 

"Same resolution as your TV at home."

 

Of course, customers will place several phones (including the iPhone) beside each other to compare what the screens look like, and that will probably factor in to the decisions of those who are on the fence.

I'm sorry, but if you are talking about the iPhone, you are being irrational.

 

This screen looks great, but what you will see there are the same "amateur" apps (compared to apps designed FOR the iPhone 5) and no screen can change that. Will someone be able to lose so much power, UI speed, app and ecosystem quality, build quality, etc for something like this so they can say "1080p"? I guess not.

post #151 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's a bad sign when you have your design chief giving interviews on why your phone is better than the iPhone. When's the last time Jony Ive ever did that?  Why mention Apple at all?  All it does is give the impression you're obsessed with Apple and your design brief was to outdo Apple in design.  How about having a original design that didn't lead to comparisons with Apple?  A unibody aluminum phone with chamfered edges isn't a good start.

Is that anything like the debut of iPad mini where they spent so much time comparing it to the Nexus 7?

post #152 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


And would you say the same about Vodafone, who might well have more smartphone users than ATT and VZW combined?  48% of Vodafone subscribers in Ireland use smartphones, and that in a country in economic dire straits at the personal as well as national level.  The OP stated this handset would fail, because of how ATT and VZW operate.  I was just trying to point out that in global terms, they don't really matter and are not in any position to determine whether or not this handset 'fails.'

I didn't take the global market into consideration but the fact is there are probably very few if any high end smartphones that sold extremely well overseas but not in the US.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #153 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I'm sorry, but if you are talking about the iPhone, you are being irrational.

 

This screen looks great, but what you will see there are the same "amateur" apps (compared to apps designed FOR the iPhone 5) and no screen can change that. Will someone be able to lose so much power, UI speed, app and ecosystem quality, build quality, etc for something like this so they can say "1080p"? I guess not.

The performance gap is no longer what you seem to think it is.  We're not talking about Gingerbread here.  And considering this phone is made from the same two materials as the iPhone, but with arguably better speakers and image sensor, I don't think this is the phone to choose to rag on build quality.

post #154 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Is that anything like the debut of iPad mini where they spent so much time comparing it to the Nexus 7?

Yeah and I said at the time that was a mistake.  It was the wrong way to introduce the mini, even if they never mentioned the Nexus 7 by name.

post #155 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah and I said at the time that was a mistake.  It was the wrong way to introduce the mini, even if they never mentioned the Nexus 7 by name.

Good.  I just wanted to check on the double standard, which it appears you don't have.

post #156 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

468 ppi! Man is that overkill. A printed glossy magazine is 300 ppi - really no need for any more.

They were going for 1080 resolution, not DPI. DPI is simply a result in fitting 1080 on screen that size.

Yes, probably not necessary. But good marketing point, should HTC ever improve their marketing gears.

It is good looking phone. I also think it looks distinctive.
post #157 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

 

The time frames are quite close such that it's likely a coincidence. Either that, or there was a bit of industrial espionage going on. If the chamfer size end up being really close, I would actually give a little credence to industrial espionage. But who knows. Other than the straightening out of the sides and the chamfer, I think HTC One is its own unique device, with a direct lineage to the HTC One in 2012.

 

Got to wonder if HTC's designers had a bit of melt down when they saw the iPhone 5 design. Then another melt down after the Blackberry Z10 design was shown. Those two just basically took all the pop out of the 2013 HTC One design. Secrecy is indeed important, as well as a backup design.

 

They are now basically left with touted the dual/stereo speakers and the camera as headlining features. Mind that I love the multi-speaker and better low light performance camera designs, but initial impressions are hugely important, and that's the case of the device. Crazy.

I'm sure it is coincidence but to hear the HTC design guy talking about unibody aluminum and chamfered edges seems to be channeling Apple a bit too much.   And before any smart ass comments, yes I know Apple didn't invent aluminum or chamfers.

 

When I first saw the phone I really liked it but now that I've seen pictures of it I'm not crazy about the plastic band (which I assume is for the antennas).  For me the plastic cheapens it a bit.  And if its anything like the One X plastic it will be dirty in no time.  In fact the Verge did say in their hands on review that the white plastic bits were already starting to get dirty.

post #158 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Good.  I just wanted to check on the double standard, which it appears you don't have.

It was over at MacRumors where I talked about it:

 

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1474645

post #159 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The performance gap is no longer what you seem to think it is.  We're not talking about Gingerbread here.  And considering this phone is made from the same two materials as the iPhone, but with arguably better speakers and image sensor, I don't think this is the phone to choose to rag on build quality.

It is probably the best built Android phone to date. They actually did a very smart thing with the image sensor. It's optimal for the vast majority of photos taken by a phone.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #160 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

 

  • 3.5" is perfect! We don't need anything larger because it's overkill; it will be difficult to use and won't fit in our pockets...
  • We don't need more than 256MB of RAM; more RAM = more battery used and Apple is all about battery life...
  • LTE is overkill and a battery waster 4G is good enough. Who needs LTE on a smartphone anyway...

I hope you jump ship and buy this phone to see how "awesome" that ppi will be for you, battery wise. Remember this is HTC with Sense UI on a quadcore phone with that ppi, and guess what, a 2300mAh battery. Nice. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI