or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI - Page 6

post #201 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Very true...its about the experience and it should be the same across the board...something Android has never been good at. 

It's not just about the experience, it's about a struggling company streamlining production to keep costs down. Why produce 2 high end smartphones when you can do well with just one?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #202 of 221

yes android phones have soft keys - back, home and multitask. it was quite a revelation for me to have more than a single button to work with. plus custom gestures are available too. I just think a physical home button is a bit old fashioned for such a sleek device. at least on my old iphone it was one of the first things to break.

post #203 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpho View Post

yes android phones have soft keys - back, home and multitask. it was quite a revelation for me to have more than a single button to work with. plus custom gestures are available too. I just think a physical home button is a bit old fashioned for such a sleek device. at least on my old iphone it was one of the first things to break.

Android just put the back button in a universal place. iOS also has a 'back' button though it's not labeled as such.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #204 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What did plastic all of a sudden become crap? Whenever I say "cheap plastic" I mean the actual type of plastic is cheap. High quality plastic does exist.

When something better comes about.
post #205 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

When something better comes about.

There's always something better. If Apple switched to milled Titanium will aluminum now become crappy?

And TS stop being so sensitive and deleting posts, and to think I came to your defense in the Moderators Behavior thread.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #206 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There's always something better. If Apple switched to milled Titanium will aluminum now become crappy?

well, no. Both are quality metals. Now if it was carbon fiber...
post #207 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



well, no. Both are quality metals. Now if it was carbon fiber...

So aluminum and titanium are of comparable quality?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #208 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Ok. Looks like you couldn't read the part where I said that iPhones were always much faster because of iOS optimizations, even with half the cpu power. Why is that? Are you being obtuse on purpose? I never said that android was the performance leader, far from it. That's java after all.

 

Then I think you missed this part: The new iPhone's GPU beats the mali used on the S3 by a factor of 3 on some tests. That's not having a better GPU, that's a "you only buy a S3 and vomit about specs if you are retarded".

 

Of course, just because android reached 2007 level of iOS smoothness you trolls like to talk as if performance (UI speed) is equal now... It isn't. Like I said, the gap got bigger.

 

Better build quality than the iPhone? If you are drunk, yes.

You never said that Android was the performance leader?  pedromartins: "See? this never happened before, CPU vs CPU the S2 was much faster than the 4 and even the 4S."

 

I said that Apple has always had a commanding lead in GPU performance.  The S3 is not even the pinnacle of Android at this point, so I'm not sure why you're harping on it anyway.

 

I never once said that Android was as smooth as iOS.  In fact if you look at my post history, I say the opposite.  Every time.  And if you say that Android is currently on par with the UI performance of iOS at any point in its history, then you're admitting that the performance gap is now narrower than ever.  You can't have it both ways.

 

PS - I reported your post because "troll" is a personal attack just like any other, especially when used against someone who isn't a troll.  Do you know what a troll is?

post #209 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Well, I wrote a short dissertation about the OS. If their home button did what Apple's did, I figure I'd remember that.

May I please read your Dissertation...This is the second time you mentioned it since I been on this site. And the Second time you have been wrong.

post #210 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

May I please read your Dissertation...This is the second time you mentioned it since I been on this site. And the Second time you have been wrong.

I'd like to read it too. I'd be interested to see what TS's research method was, and how he managed to miss basic Android functionality such as the home button.
post #211 of 221
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post
I'd like to read it too. I'd be interested to see what TS's research method was, and how he managed to miss basic Android functionality such as the home button.

 

I probably didn't miss it! I just don't remember it. I run off of third-party consensus when I can't remember things. Screws with my view of history, but it's all I can do.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #212 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So aluminum and titanium are of comparable quality?

You asked if Apple used Ti in the next iPhone, would it make Al crap? I said no. I never said they were equal quality. I just said Ti won't make Al crap.
post #213 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I probably didn't miss it! I just don't remember it. I run off of third-party consensus when I can't remember things. Screws with my view of history, but it's all I can do.

Android phones have had home buttons since the G1. Check out youtube for videos of the thing in action.
post #214 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You never said that Android was the performance leader?  pedromartins: "See? this never happened before, CPU vs CPU the S2 was much faster than the 4 and even the 4S."

 

I said that Apple has always had a commanding lead in GPU performance.  The S3 is not even the pinnacle of Android at this point, so I'm not sure why you're harping on it anyway.

 

I never once said that Android was as smooth as iOS.  In fact if you look at my post history, I say the opposite.  Every time.  And if you say that Android is currently on par with the UI performance of iOS at any point in its history, then you're admitting that the performance gap is now narrower than ever.  You can't have it both ways.

 

PS - I reported your post because "troll" is a personal attack just like any other, especially when used against someone who isn't a troll.  Do you know what a troll is?

well, you are. I said CPU vs CPU, do you even know what that is? Iphones were always faster, with slower CPUs. The 5 has an equal fast CPU (a marvel actually, a dual 1.2 going head on against a 1.5 quad), and iOS optimizations together with that CPU makes android "slow motion".

 

But for some reason you don't get it. Go and learn about it, then.

post #215 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Multi-core processors splits the tasks into smaller chunks. Each core (lets say 4 cores) takes on 25% of the total load. After the 25% load is done, they go into hibernation mode, thus saving battery. Each core processor does not have to use all of its power to do the work, generating less heat and less resistance.

 

A single core or dual core processor, uses 100% (single core) and 50% (dual core) before going into hibernation. The less time spent on doing the tasks and the more time it is in hibernation, the less power consumption.

 

That is how you get better battery life.

 

No. Your explanation is not correct, and it just parrots Nvidia's multi-core marketing drivel.

 

Multi-core processors do not split tasks into smaller chunks. What splits tasks into smaller chunks are programmers coding the software. You also leave the impression that every task can be evenly split up evenly, which is not true either. Computational problems like numerical modeling, media encoding, can be split up near evenly, but even those tasks start to lose efficiency as the core count goes up.

 

The vast majority of software loads really stress only one core. The vast majority of multithreaded software really stress only one core. The vast majority of background processes and threads are at wait states or require very little CPU power in the vast majority of software out there.

 

It's true that for a constant workload, a faster processor with good idle power states can use less power than a slower processor. That's only true if the idle power state for the faster processor consumes less power. If the slower processor had lower peak power and lower idle power, guess what, it likely will consume less power overall over the same workload even though it'll take longer to finish.

 

Moreover, the so-called "first-to-sleep" advantage is only advantageous for constant workloads. The problem is the old adage that we find a way to fill the CPU cycles anyways. Users will end up using the device more or the software loads will require more power.

 

Quote:

Apple is moving to multi-core processor in the next iPhone anyway. Will you start appreciating the benefit after that happens? Most likely will.

 

If you haven't noticed, Apple has been using multi-core processors in iOS devices for almost 2 years now. Will 2013 iOS devices have a quad-core CPU? Who knows, but they've had dual-core CPUs since the iPad 2 in 2011.

post #216 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I probably didn't miss it! I just don't remember it. I run off of third-party consensus when I can't remember things. Screws with my view of history, but it's all I can do.

Does that mean you will let me read it. You refer to your dissertation as if it is where you got the info and then you say you go by what is posted in previous comments. Why even bring up your dissertation if you don't even remember it?
post #217 of 221

4.7, 1080p, quad core?

 

*shrugs.

 

So we're looking at the future '+' version of the iPhone...but with better battery life and a less derivative design (they market that design with a straight face presumably...)

 

As soon as Apple hits with a 199-250 'low end' Phone (think iPod Touch with phone radio) and an iPhone + to go with the 'classic' iPhone...what will the analysts whinge about?

 

I could even see a 'Siri' phone shuffle type device.

 

Why not?  They can address 'addressable' markets like they did with the iPod.  Or not.

 

I think they'll do the former in time.  No big deal.  Well, 135 billion in 'low' end phones...that is a big deal.  As is the momentum with Samesung's S3.  It's captured a bit of the 'size queen' media and phone buyers.

 

Apple can offer a bit more choice and keep more people happy.  1 size fits all?  Not really.  (Though I'm happy with my iPhone 5...I'd go for a + one in white.)

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #218 of 221

They absolutely owned with the iPod strategy.  And the phone market is even bigger...

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #219 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

One point I will throw out there on supposed "spec-whoring":

It's far easier to explain what 1080p means to the average smartphone buyer than 640x1136.

"Same resolution as your TV at home."

Why? 720p still qualifies as "retina" for that size of screen, 720p would be about 312ppi. And it's a standard TV resolution too. Apple doesn't need to sell people with the raster dimensions of the screen, they have a screen that exceeds most people's vision at 12" and they have the best color accuracy in the business, with smooth graphics performance. They do the job exceedingly well, nobody needs to understand that it's 640x1136 other than developers and people that do the technical work designing and manufacturing the device. As arbitrary numbers go, It's not really any more bizarre than 1920x1080.

Our point here is that 1080p doubles the number of pixels the graphics processor has to throw to the screen for negligible benefit for most people. For their sake, I hope there are no compromises on graphics performance to achieve the 1080p number. If they can do it with smooth scrolling with no tearing, no judder, stutter, 60+fps, with acceptable battery life, then by all means. Otherwise, they likely could have achieved all that much better with 720p with only negligible reduction in perceptible image quality.

As yet, I don't believe it to be anything other than cynical bullet-point-ism.
Edited by JeffDM - 2/21/13 at 11:48am
post #220 of 221

This will probably be my next phone.  Glad to see HTC is going back to the aluminum body (alot of their earlier phones were aluminum).  If they can release the same device on all carriers (minus Verizon) it should be a hit.  I believe all Canadian carriers are getting the same phone.  

 

It's easily the best specs on the market, and knowing HTC the build quality will be superb (much better than Samsung).  Curious about the camera - my one complaint about the HTC Amaze I have is the photos have slightly low-density pixels, although it's still better than 99% of smartphones.  I'd take 4MP images if the quality is there.  

post #221 of 221
The iPhone 5 is still overall the better phone than this. This phone looks nice and I like how they incorporate the speakers on the front of the phone, hopefully Apple does this with a future iPhone. Also I'm really looking forward to the upcoming rumored iPhone 6 that's suppose to be released sometime this year with the 5 inch screen. Been looking forward to a bigger screened iPhone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI