or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Anyone print this 5" iPhone out yet? I did.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone print this 5" iPhone out yet? I did.

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/19/try-the-5-inch-iphone-experience-with-this-printable-papercraft-model/

 

One thing is pretty obvious to me after printing it and folding it up: Apple will make this.

 

It's not too big. I'll still buy and use the 4" iPhone 5, but there's clearly a big market here for Apple with this. Yes, it's no longer a one-handed iPhone for the most part, but it's better for browsing and other things. Counterintuitively, it's the innovation on the iPhone 5, how thin and light it is which leaves room for this new 5" phone. It'll be so thin and light that it'll fit perfectly in the Apple family of products and it will finish off the iPhone family perfect. Small iPad, big iPad, small iPhone, big iPhone. Pick away!

 

Will it happen this year? Only Apple knows that. Will it happen before 2016? I would say absolutely. And it'll have iPhone 5 resolution, which will add no additional programming for devs and possibly allow Apple to still call it Retina given that it will be held further away from the face than iPhone 5.

 

 


Edited by Ireland - 2/19/13 at 2:18pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #2 of 25
If it's the same resolution as the current iPhone 5, I definitely would NOT get one. And my guess is, not enough other people would either, in order to make it a worthwhile option for Apple.
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If it's the same resolution as the current iPhone 5, I definitely would NOT get one. And my guess is, not enough other people would either, in order to make it a worthwhile option for Apple.

 

I'd say if it's priced the same as the iPhone 5 around 40% of iPhone buyers would choose it, perhaps 50.

 

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, but we aren't the average consumer.

 

There are a lot of phone buyers out there that would like a bigger iPhone. You'd be surprised. After printing this out and holding it my hand (my prediction was that it would be ridiculous when held, but it's not) it becomes obvious that this is analogous to the big iPad, small iPad Apple family setup. This would be the big iPhone.

 

Although people would choose the larger iPhone for different reasons to choosing the larger iPad.

 

It's about giving the consumer at least some choice. In every other product category Apple has choice. Are you a big or small Air guy? Are you a big or small MacBook Pro guy? Are you a big or small iMac guy? Are you a big or small iPad guy? Are you a big or small iPhone guy?

 

The iPads will very shortly have the same resolution. There's no reason why the iPhones shouldn't, and a few reason why it's a good idea indeed.


Edited by Ireland - 2/19/13 at 2:42pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #4 of 25

Looks laughably large to me.

 

How ironic that the very first cell phone seems to be the size Android is pushing us back toward. Complete nonsense.

 

In before "It doesn't matter how big it is; most people (whatever that means) use Bluetooth and don't hold their phones anyway!"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looks laughably large to me.

 

To you.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 25
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
To you.

 

If this doesn't matter, then the people who claim the iPhone is still too small don't matter, either.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #7 of 25
It seems to me if Apple wanted a larger format iPhone, they would incorporate telephony into the iPad Mini. There's a reason for those larger Android phones from Samsung. Demand for 5 inch screens isn't it. It's not because people demand a 5inch screen, its because that's the only way to get those larger parts into a phone.

Joe
Macs4newbies.com
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

It seems to me if Apple wanted a larger format iPhone, they would incorporate telephony into the iPad Mini.

Very strange logic there.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 25
Personally I'd definitely go with a bigger screened iPhone any day. Hopefully Apple does release the rumored 5 inch iPhone 6 sometime this year. The iPhone 5 is a phenomenal phone but I prefer something with a bigger screen. Also if this rumor is true, hopefully the PPI is at least 320 or higher.
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How ironic that the very first cell phone seems to be the size Android is pushing us back toward. Complete nonsense.

 

That'd be really big. The first cell phone was like 13" tall and 3" thick.

 

In before "It doesn't matter how big it is; most people (whatever that means) use Bluetooth and don't hold their phones anyway!"

 

Who talks on a phone these days anyway?  1tongue.gif

 

People want the larger screen for everything else that a smartphone does... apps, web, video.  Things it's used for far more often than talking.

post #11 of 25
How's that logic strange? Once you get to the point where a device is no longer manageable in one hand, size becomes a secondary or terciary matter. The point is, Apple has no problem selling any of their current iPhone lineup. They also have no problem crushing the tablet market offerings by anyone else. Adding telephony to a device already utilizing cellular technolgy for data is a simple matter of software. And doesn't add to model bloat which almost killed Apple in the Spindler/Amelio era. Don't count on Apple aking a device simply for a single feature like a 5 inch screen. At some point, you reach the place of diminished returns.
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

People want the larger screen for everything else that a smartphone does... apps, web, video.  Things it's used for far more often than talking.

 

It's dangerous bringing perspective to these forums. Tread carefully.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

How's that logic strange?

 

Picture someone holding an iPad mini to their ear and then come back to me.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Picture someone holding an iPad mini to their ear and then come back to me.

 

 

A 5" phone is nowhere near that big.

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

 

A 5" phone is nowhere near that big.

 

So you agree with me? Did you read the thread, or did you just jump to the conclusion and rush to reply?

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you agree with me? Did you read the thread, or did you just jump to the conclusion and rush to reply?

 

Yes, I was agreeing with you.   Just got rushed while replying.  Sorry if it was misunderstood.

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

Yes, I was agreeing with you.   Just got rushed while replying.  Sorry if it was misunderstood.

 

No problem.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #18 of 25
Ireland, you seem to have concluded that the only way to use telephony capability is to bring the device to your head. Your premise is flawed. Ever hear of Bluetooth? Speakerphone? I hardly ever bring my iPhone to my ear. I am constantly using the device on speaker. I also enjoy FaceTime which automatically requires either the speakerphone, Bluetooth, or the wired headset. The whole point of the smartphone experience is to be smart about it. I multitask when using my iPhone. Tough to do holding it up to my ear. My point is simply this. Apple is more than capable of adding cellular voice to the iPad or iPad Mini. It would NOT be the primary feature of the device. And I would imagine, iPad Mini and iPad owners would still use their iPhone 4, 4s and 5.
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland 
I'd say if it's priced the same as the iPhone 5 around 40% of iPhone buyers would choose it, perhaps 50.

Perhaps 80 or 7, maybe even 33. Made up numbers can be anything you want. You could justify them making a red colored model exactly the same way. How many customers are they losing by only offering black and white?

The 5" size looks usable enough if you don't mind repositioning the phone while using it - we know that millions of people are using a 4.8" S3 - but I don't see why they'd sell two models at different sizes at the same price, even Samsung doesn't do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland 
possibly allow Apple to still call it Retina given that it will be held further away from the face than iPhone 5.

What's the benefit in it being bigger if people hold it further away? Apple will design the phone under the premise that people hold it at the same distance, which is why the iPhone 5 had a higher resolution. A 5" phone would have to have a higher resolution again. They can double the resolution no problem but it would be more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymacman 
I hardly ever bring my iPhone to my ear. I am constantly using the device on speaker. I also enjoy FaceTime, I multitask when using my iPhone. Tough to do holding it up to my ear.

So as long as nobody uses a phone in the same way they've done for the last 100 years, it should be fine. Except people would use it that way instinctively and here's the Galaxy Note 8, which has phone capability being held up to people's ears:





If it has phone capability, someone will call the device and people will pick it up the same way they always pick up a phone and it will look ridiculous.

You won't always have an earpiece in, nor will you always want to answer a call on speakerphone so that moment will come in the middle of an airport in front of everyone, you have to raise the giant pad up to your face and people will stare and point, children will mock you for not knowing how to use a tablet, you may even be blocked from getting on your flight because someone crazy enough to use a tablet as a phone might just be too crazy for air travel.
post #20 of 25
It is in no way reminiscent of the way phones have been used for 100 years. We're no longer tethered to a wall receiver and transmitter... Most folks using iPhones are utilizing the wired earphones and built in mic, Bluetooth headsets or they're using the speaker phone because the audio clarity is far superior to the feature phone they have blown by these past five years. No one driving, interested in not getting tickets while operating the vehicle, would ever bring the smartphone to their ear.

You can post all the silly images you care to post. They're fun to look at. But they bear no resemblance to how the larger form factor device with telephony is actually used. NO ONE will use an iPad mini, an iPad or any other large form tablet the way you describe it. Just doesn't happen that way. FaceTime is the Killer App and speaker phone, wired headset or Bluetooth is how it's used. Now, you may want it, but don't hold your breath waiting for Apple to make it.
post #21 of 25
Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post
It is in no way reminiscent of the way phones have been used for 100 years.

 

Holding one's phone to one's ear Isn't reminiscent of the way phones have been used for a century? Come off it.


folks using iPhones are utilizing the wired earphones and built in mic, Bluetooth headsets or they're using the speaker phone because the audio clarity is far superior to the feature phone they have blown by these past five years.

 

Source?


No one driving, interested in not getting tickets while operating the vehicle, would ever bring the smartphone to their ear.

See, now I KNOW you're making crap up.


NO ONE will use an iPad mini, an iPad or any other large form tablet the way you describe it.

 

Exactly! No one will use it as a phone, even if it has access to the telecoms' voice channels!


Edited by Tallest Skil - 2/26/13 at 6:51pm

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

Most folks using iPhones are utilizing the wired earphones and built in mic, Bluetooth headsets or they're using the speaker phone because the audio clarity is far superior to the feature phone they have blown by these past five years.
Would you stop it with the blatant lies already? Most folks?
post #23 of 25
Not lies, just the reality of how most folks use their iPhones. There's a reason Apple includes wired headsets with each iPhone. Users use them. Have you checked the sales of accessories from 3rd party producers of headsets, wired and Bluetooth? I'm not interested in a large form iPhone - all I said was if Apple wanted to, the company could add telephony to its already existing large form product line. Can't you stick with the facts? Or is it in your nature to call people with opposing opinions names or their opinions craps? That's for both Ireland and the so called moderator. Moderate your own ad hominem comments!
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

Not lies, just the reality of how most folks use their iPhones. There's a reason Apple includes wired headsets with each iPhone. Users use them. Have you checked the sales of accessories from 3rd party producers of headsets, wired and Bluetooth? I'm not interested in a large form iPhone - all I said was if Apple wanted to, the company could add telephony to its already existing large form product line. Can't you stick with the facts? Or is it in your nature to call people with opposing opinions names or their opinions craps? That's for both Ireland and the so called moderator. Moderate your own ad hominem comments!
There is just as much truth in the statement "jerseymacman lives in his mom's basement" as there is in the statement that most phone users don't hold their phone to their ear. If you would go outside, perhaps you could witness the fact that you're wrong.
post #25 of 25
Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post
Not lies, just the reality of how most folks use their iPhones.

 

Either stop saying this or prove it.


There's a reason Apple includes wired headsets with each iPhone. Users use them.

 

Could one of the PO frequenters tell me what logical fallacy this is? I know it's one, just can't put my finger on the name.


Have you checked the sales of accessories from 3rd party producers of headsets, wired and Bluetooth?

 

Have you? Could you possibly post any sort of evidence to back what you're claiming?


Moderate your own ad hominem comments!

 

Asking someone to stop lying and provide evidence of something isn't an ad hominem anything.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Anyone print this 5" iPhone out yet? I did.