or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Ive on naming products: 'We're really quite careful with the words we use'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Ive on naming products: 'We're really quite careful with the words we use'

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 
Apple design guru Jony Ive gave a bit of insight on how the iPhone maker sets to naming its products in a recent interview, claiming that the company's attention to detail goes down to the very words it chooses for its products.



Ive received an award from Children's BBC program Blue Peter last week, and in the process gave viewers a small tour of one of Apple's design and fabrication facilities. In an extra clip discovered by freelance journalist Tom Davenport, Ive discusses how Apple would hypothetically approach designing a lunchbox:

"If we?re thinking of lunchbox, we?d be really careful about not having the word 'box' already give you ?bunch of ideas that could be quite narrow. You think of a box being a square, and like a cube. And so we?re quite careful with the words we use, because those can determine the path that you go down."



Ive, as Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design, led design efforts for the MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Air, iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, and iPad mini.
post #2 of 97
So much for doubling-down on security ¡

LOL at the box remark. Over here some use it to refer to a woman's, well, can't use the C word I presume.
post #3 of 97
Is that why the Mac "Cube" didn't do so well?!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #4 of 97
It's amazing how people stopped mocking the name "iPad". The first time the name was heard, everyone was making fun of it. Now it's a commonplace word.
post #5 of 97

Not sure what his comments have to do with the naming of products.  Seems it's more about not having a name define the path you go down when designing a product.

post #6 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So much for doubling-down on security ¡

LOL at the box remark. Over here some use it to refer to a woman's, well, can't use the C word I presume.

And there's nothing square (all definitions) about it. Lol
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #7 of 97
Really? An entire article about a pull-quote from a video that accompanied yesterday's article? Are you guys really that desperate for news ideas?
post #8 of 97

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/5/13 at 3:35pm
post #9 of 97
"iLunch Pro" was mysteriously trademarked by Apple. It has patented cooling vents and an asymmetrical fan. And the lid opens with magnets to instantly present your food.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #10 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And there's nothing square (all definitions) about it. Lol

That because it would have rounded corners.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 97

Here's the full video segment from Blue Peter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S6MKx2u-tFU

 

 Love Ive's reaction as the kids are explaining their designs.


Edited by Rogifan - 2/20/13 at 7:43am
post #12 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

It's amazing how people stopped mocking the name "iPad". The first time the name was heard, everyone was making fun of it. Now it's a commonplace word.

yes...i remember...I was one of those people saying how bad a choice that name was. Now it is so normal i don't even think about it anymore.....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #13 of 97

I guess that's why the 6th iPhone was 'iPhone 5'. They didn't want to get bogged down with names that made sense. It's definitely thinking outside the box; 6 is 5, after all, for sufficiently small values of 6… 


Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
"iLunch Pro" was mysteriously trademarked by Apple. It has patented cooling vents and an asymmetrical fan. And the lid opens with magnets to instantly present your food.
 

And mesh at the bottom, for crumbs.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #14 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess that's why the 6th iPhone was 'iPhone 5'. They didn't want to get bogged down with names that made sense. It's definitely thinking outside the box; 6 is 5, after all, for sufficiently small values of 6… 

 

And mesh at the bottom, for crumbs.

lol.....im going to let you have a pass on this.....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #15 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess that's why the 6th iPhone was 'iPhone 5'. They didn't want to get bogged down with names that made sense. It's definitely thinking outside the box; 6 is 5, after all, for sufficiently small values of 6… 

 

And mesh at the bottom, for crumbs.

lol.....im going to let you have a pass on this.....

 

Admit it - you would have been disappointed if TS hadn't made some comment on this in relation to the iPhone naming debate.

post #16 of 97
The iLunch has rounded corners, an innovative cooling system, and magnets instead of a latch. You can password-protect it so no one can steal your lunch. If you lose it, or someone steals it, you can find it with iCloud. There is no optical drive, of course, and it is very, very thin.

You can take a different pizza to lunch every day! And your beverage fits nicely in the accompanying iDrink.

By Tuesday, Samsung's salesmen will be selling knock-offs from their trench coats in alleyways. Be sure to check out their Nolex watches while you are there.
post #17 of 97
Here at Apple we pretty much use any work the we can put a little "i" in front of.
post #18 of 97
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
Admit it - you would have been disappointed if TS hadn't made some comment on this in relation to the iPhone naming debate.

 

Well, it was going to happen sooner or later; figured someone with a history of it should be the one. lol.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Admit it - you would have been disappointed if TS hadn't made some comment on this in relation to the iPhone naming debate.

I'm surprised he wasn't the first to post.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #20 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The iLunch has rounded corners, an innovative cooling system, and magnets instead of a latch. You can password-protect it so no one can steal your lunch. If you lose it, or someone steals it, you can find it with iCloud. There is no optical drive, of course, and it is very, very thin.

You can take a different pizza to lunch every day! And your beverage fits nicely in the accompanying iDrink.

By Tuesday, Samsung's salesmen will be selling knock-offs from their trench coats in alleyways. Be sure to check out their Nolex watches while you are there.

And of course it'll be hailed as the first lunchbox in existence.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 97

Sounds like a reasonable stream of thinking - choosing language (and names) carefully to avoid design bias. Yet, in spite of this outside-the-lunchbox thinking, there is already official design bias at Apple. It's their design language. In the mid 80s to early 90s, this language, known as Snow White (developed by Esslinger at Frog Design), was in fact spelled out in their "SOPs". It formed the foundation of products from the late generation Apple IIs to 2nd and 3rd gen Macs, and was also reflected in the Mac OS UI.

 

With Jobs's return and Ive's ascension, Snow White has clearly been replaced by the Dieter Braun inspired minimalist approach we see today. I wonder it too is formally documented. Regardless, I'd argue that despite Ive's interesting thinking about how naming might influence design, Apple's designers already have a greater influence in place.


Edited by stelligent - 2/20/13 at 8:33am
post #22 of 97
"What we do, you see, is we take the ninth letter of the Arabic alphabet--the letter i--we convert it to lowercase, and then we add some catchy noun after it. What we will never do is add a space between the letter i and the catchy noun. Never. It's who we are."
post #23 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And of course it'll be hailed as the first lunchbox in existence.

With a keynote video where Ive discusses the merits of the sandwich wrapped in aluminium foil.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #24 of 97

Don't know why... but  iTaco comes to mind!


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 2/20/13 at 9:00am
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #25 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't know why... but iTaco comes to mind!


That would lead to folded-over circular design?

post #26 of 97
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post
That would lead to folded-over circular design?

 

There you go, putting yourself into a box again.

 

"Folded over SQUARE design, allowing for blah-de-blah more surface area, which allows us to fit even more Americanized Mexican goodness therein."

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #27 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

 

Admit it - you would have been disappointed if TS hadn't made some comment on this in relation to the iPhone naming debate.

lol....yes.....i kinda expected it....

But he still won't admit he was wrong about....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #28 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Sounds like a reasonable stream of thinking - choosing language (and names) carefully to avoid design bias. Yet, in spite of this outside-the-lunchbox thinking, there is already official design bias at Apple. It's their design language. In the mid 80s to early 90s, this language, known as Snow White (developed by Esslinger at Frog Design), was in fact spelled out in their "SOPs". It formed the foundation of products from the late generation Apple IIs to 2nd and 3rd gen Macs, and was also reflected in the Mac OS UI.

 

With Jobs's return and Ive's ascension, Snow White has clearly been replaced by the Dieter Braun inspired minimalist approach we see today. I wonder it too is formally documented. Regardless, I'd argue that despite Ive's interesting thinking about how naming might influence design, Apple's designers already have a greater influence in place.

 

This post makes no sense.  I have no idea what your point is. 

post #29 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

It's amazing how people stopped mocking the name "iPad". The first time the name was heard, everyone was making fun of it. Now it's a commonplace word.

 

Only a few really juvenile, mostly male, people made fun of it actually.  

 

The (faint, remote, and mostly imagined), connection with menstruation was more than some men could handle.  

 

It made them nervous and the antidote to nerves is ... humour.  

Therefore, endless lame "pad" jokes from this group. 

post #30 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I have no idea what your point is. 

 

Unsurprised. All part of natural selection.

post #31 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


That because it would have rounded corners.

 

and designed to feel really good in your hands

I think you mean "naturally selected." Because all the woman with thorns down there would never produce offspring and pass on their thorny genetic material.:-P

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #32 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

There you go, putting yourself into a box again.

 

"Folded over SQUARE design, allowing for blah-de-blah more surface area, which allows us to fit even more Americanized Mexican goodness therein."


Actually, a circle is simply a rounded square, with maximum radius at each corner.

post #33 of 97

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/5/13 at 3:33pm
post #34 of 97
iDigest
post #35 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

and designed to feel really good in your hands

Designed for convenient one-handed operation.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #36 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Designed for convenient one-handed operation.

If it comes with a reusable icepack it will last longer than any other icepack on the market but people will still claim they need to refreeze it twice a day.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #37 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Actually, a circle is simply a rounded square, with maximum radius at each corner.

 

I thought a circle was a symmetrical polygon with an infinite numbers of sides. /s


Edited by mstone - 2/20/13 at 9:30am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #38 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The fact that you used the term radius undermines your argument.

I thought a circle was a polygon with an infinite numbers of sides. /s

And dots are zero length lines.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #39 of 97

Sammy just announced the Samsung Galaxy Box. It's has > 1700 cubic inches of volume, a retractable set of chopstick. It's also made with HD plastic. it also comes with "gas station sushi."

post #40 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sammy just announced the Samsung Galaxy Box. It's has > 1700 cubic inches of volume, a retractable set of chopstick. It's also made with HD plastic. it also comes with "gas station sushi."

Better yet it'll carry a 6ft hero/sub with ease.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Ive on naming products: 'We're really quite careful with the words we use'