or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sony announces PS4, touts unification of hardware, software, internet capabilities

Sony announces PS4, touts unification of hardware, software, internet capabilities

post #1 of 105
President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Andrew House on Wednesday introduced the company's next-generation platform, the PlayStation 4, which will leverage advancements in hardware, software, and Internet-based technologies to, Sony hopes, create a game experience that will pull it out of its current third-place position in the console race.

PlayStation Platform

During the keynote, Sony noted that the upcoming platform will be more about taking the PlayStation out of the living room, and focus it more on the gamer. Also pushed was the "immediacy" built into the PS4, including background downloading, instant play of new purchases and social network sharing.

"The stakes are high for what we're about to show you," said house.

The PlayStation 4 will feature a chip based on the x86 architecture, on-board HDD storage, and 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. During the presentation, Sony representatives stressed that these were the sort of design choices game developers urged the company to make with its next console. The Cell Processor in the PS3, according to many developers, was powerful but difficult to develop for, which led to the Xbox 360 becoming something of a developer standard. Consequently, many games developed for both systems were unable to take full advantage of the PS3's capabilities, and many games ported from the Xbox 360 to the PS3 underperformed versus their Xbox counterparts.

Teaser trailer for Capcom's PS4 project tentatively titled "deep down." | Source: Capcom official YouTube channel

The company also introduced a much-anticipated new controller. The new DualShock controller maintains mostly the same controller design as previous iterations, but adds a touchpad, headphone jack, a Share button, and a "light bar." The touchpad is a feature first introduced in Sony products with the PlayStation Vita, while the "light bar" will interface with a new, Kinect-like peripheral in order to gauge players' positions in three-dimensional space. The share button and headphone jack are part of Sony's effort to stress the social elements of the PS4, as they will allow for in-game communication, as well as direct sharing of game content.

PlayStation controller

Social networking functionality is also a main concern for the upcoming console, with advanced services offering users the ability to watch live streams of friends gaming sessions.

Speaking to the platform's internet abilities, founder of cloud-based gaming service Gaikai Dave Perry outlined various streaming and interactive capabilities. Gaikai was purchased by Sony in 2012.

Users can watch and interact with each other in real time, including the ability to take over a friend's controller to help them through a tough level.

Dave Perry
Gaikai founder Dave Perry

PlayStation's cloud services will also bring a welcome enhancement many users have been asking for since the PS2: universal compatibility with older games. In fact, future advancements to the system are expected to allow for older titles, as well as new games, to be played on second-screen devices like the PS Vita, smartphones and tablets.

The PS4 comes at a critical moment for Sony. Once an undeniable powerhouse in the consumer electronics world, the Japanese conglomerate has seen a difficult few years, as competitors from various corners have undercut its foundation. While the PlayStation 2 sold in excess of 100 million units, its successor, the PlayStation 3, was hampered initially by a high price as well as the breakout success of Nintendo's Wii console.

Adding to the company's gaming woes, its PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita handheld consoles have never truly taken off to the extent that Sony would like. Those consoles, too, have been stymied by high initial pricing and competing systems from Nintendo. Also, though, they have suffered from the rise of smartphones and tablets.

The new mobile devices have comparable computing power to dedicated portable consoles, as well as more democratized game distribution systems, making it easy for smaller developers to push out relatively low-quality content in a rapid fashion. By comparison, big-budget console games have a greater range of flexibility and depth, but require considerable computing resources and massive teams to develop.

After roughly two hours of tech demonstrations and game previews, Sony's presentation ended abruptly. The company did not show off the hardware that will power all of the software demonstrated, though it seems likely it will do so at this year's E3. As to a release date, Sony gave only a broad Holiday 2013 announcement.
post #2 of 105
Let the bad-mouthing begin!
post #3 of 105
So much for the vaunted Cell processor. RIP, little dude. All your base are belong to x86.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 105
Alienware
So the #PS4 is going to be more like a PC from last year? Hmm.. at least developers can knock it off with "PC-ports" from consoles.
20/02/13 23:19

Well... That's true.

post #5 of 105
There's a 75% chance I will one day get a Blu-Ray player... And if I do, ther's a 75% chance it will be a game console. If it is... 75% chance it will be a PS4!

(Any console that replaces the right aiming stick with an unbounded analog control like a touchpad or trackball gets my business first! Come on... mouse-style FPS aiming is so close! Somebody do it.)
post #6 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Let the bad-mouthing begin!

Bro Sony died years ago

not serious, but you're going to see this about 100 times why Apple is going to roll Sony.....

post #7 of 105
Big day for AMD.
post #8 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Big day for AMD.

Are they the ones responsible for sony's GPU?

post #9 of 105
I just wanna know if this thing can run Crysis.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sony's President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Andrew House on Wednesday introduced the company's next-generation platform, the PlayStation 4, which will use hardware, software and internet

Omg hardware, software AND Internet? That's so cool!
post #11 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

There's a 75% chance I will one day get a Blu-Ray player... And if I do, ther's a 75% chance it will be a game console. If it is... 75% chance it will be a PS4!

(Any console that replaces the right aiming stick with an unbounded analog control like a touchpad or trackball gets my business first! Come on... mouse-style FPS aiming is so close! Somebody do it.)

You could just say there's a 42% chance of getting one of these.

And there is touchpad / trackball style aiming: it's called a laptop.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

X86 hardware, software, AND Internet. Never before have these things come together! /s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 105
Quote:

All in one package to boot, absolutely genius. Why didn't Apple think of this? Lol
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #14 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And how
post #15 of 105
Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, especially after the new Killzone: Shadowfall demo. Extremely impressive, wish they would show the big titles like GT6 and hopefully a new Uncharted, i can only imagine how beautiful it would look 

post #16 of 105
What he said: "The stakes are high for about [sic] we're about to show you."

What he meant: "We're dead if we don't sell to more than just 'hardcore gamers.' "

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #17 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Are they the ones responsible for sony's GPU?

It's a custom Bulldozer APU with shared 8GB GDDR5 Memory.

Can game developers produce non-dystopian games? From the live feed it's clear Sucker Punch can't. The Speaker's hyperbolic speech made me laugh.

post #18 of 105

With game developers who hold names like Jonathan Blow you know the gaming world is an interesting lot.

post #19 of 105
Quote:

Can game developers produce non-dystopian games? From the live feed it's clear Sucker Punch can't. The Speaker's hyperbolic speech made me laugh.

Oh... So AMD finds a new steady source of revenue. it makes me want that PS4 succeds, so I can see AMD doing great again.

post #20 of 105
Quote:

Oh... So AMD finds a new steady source of revenue. it makes me want that PS4 succeds, so I can see AMD doing great again.

All the tech rumors include the XBox 720 also being a custom built AMD APU. To acquire 2 out of 3 of the big game console vendor contracts for those parts [if correct] will be a big win for AMD.

post #21 of 105
Quote:

You can help by buying one instead of crossing your fingers.
post #22 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You can help by buying one instead of crossing your fingers.

I don't know how much does it cost, but I'm only a student, i depend on my parents. Can't justify any console...

On the other end, I can justify an iPad.

I have a macbook air that i absolutly love, and I'm sure that if AMD was in great financial shape, they would be able to provide a great alternative (CPU/GPU/battery life)for a macbook air.

post #23 of 105

One doesn't have to look far to understand that Steven P. Jobs was special. The man was Willy Wonka and his presentations were a true show. I've yet to see any Keynote speaker remotely touch his abilities. Public Speaking is an artform and requires a person who can own the stage like a rock singer with charisma, or a politician who is a virtuoso maestro at conveying their ideas.

These folks just don't have it.

post #24 of 105
Quote:

I don't know how much does it cost, but I'm only a student, i depend on my parents. Can't justify any console...
On the other end, I can justify an iPad.

I have a macbook air that i absolutly love, and I'm sure that if AMD was in great financial shape, they would be able to provide a great alternative (CPU/GPU/battery life)for a macbook air.

I don't think it'll be priced as high as the PS3 was in the beginning. Blu Ray players have dropped in price considerably, which was a big chunk of the price back then.
post #25 of 105
Yawn....
post #26 of 105
Quote:

One doesn't have to look far to understand that Steven P. Jobs was special. The man was Willy Wonka and his presentations were a true show. I've yet to see any Keynote speaker remotely touch his abilities. Public Speaking is an artform and requires a person who can own the stage like a rock singer with charisma, or a politician who is a virtuoso maestro at conveying their ideas.

These folks just don't have it.

Truth.

But Sony has never relied on someone to sell their vision. They've gone back to a laundry list of specs. And as usual, spec fans have dreams of gigaflops dancing in their head. I remember Sony demoing the PS3, bragging about the RSX chip and how it could handle two 1080p data streams at the same time, but when the PS3 shipped, most "HD" games like Uncharted ran in friggin' 720p resolution! Only a few ever did 1080p. And don't even get me started on the 3.x firmware debacle: I never hated a company more than Sony over that crap.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 105
Quote:

Great point! 1smile.gif
post #28 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer 

In the following video, they describe the CPU and GPU on the same die with 8-core CPU and 2TFLOP GPU:

This is how all computers should be built now and expandable RAM can be just cache memory.

I was wondering if they'd restrict their cloud gaming to the PS4 but it seems they want to open up the games to anyone:

You'd be able to play PS3 games, maybe even PS4 games on mobile devices, laptops etc (don't ban their app from the store Apple) - the PS4 isn't backwards compatible so all the older titles will run over the network. It makes the hardware you use irrelevant. It doesn't really matter to Sony because a lot of the time the hardware makes a loss anyway so just paying for the game itself is more profitable. It could mean people would end up just buying an XBox and streaming whatever PS exclusives there are but I think they've at least made the right choices with the hardware this time round and they did say that porting from the PC would be easy - they even refer to it as an 'augmented PC'.

This will allow simultaneous development for consoles and PCs, which is great for developers and gamers because the exclusivity is no longer about porting complexity. Another really cool thing is that if these things can run an OS like Linux, they can be networked as processing hardware for a Mac system. Sony might try to lock this down of course.

Now they just need to make the price of this machine reasonable.
post #29 of 105
More foreskin than foresight!
post #30 of 105
It is a really shit presentation, boring talks, depressing footage and nearly TWO hrs into it, still no console
post #31 of 105
DOA. Nobody cares about consoles anymore... the future of gaming is in mobile platforms.
Call me old school, but I enjoyed my Atari 2600 much more than my Playstation or Wii. Do you know why? Because focus was on gameplay and not graphics, and it was simple. A stick and a button. I could never get into the newer consoles with all these buttons and combos to do different things. Too complicated. The touch based games that are coming out for IOS devices kind of bring simplicity and enjoyment back to gaming for me.
post #32 of 105

Frankly I'm not a big gamer but was somewhat interested when the PS3 came out.  Mainly because it looked like a device that could serve multiple needs.   That is a BluRay player, game machine, network access device and a Linux platform.   Unfortunately Sony has an extremely hostile attitude with respect to the owners of the hardware it sells and thus I never bought into the system.  Too many broken promises, deleted features and scuttling any sort of Linux support pretty much reduced any versatility the platform could of had to zilch.  

Here is the the thing Sonys past practices mean I'm very reluctant to buy into PS4 either.   This is especially the case since the arrival of iPad.   iPad handles the light gaming I might want to do, supports web access brilliantly, runs more apps than you can shake a stick at and is portable.  So I just don't see a future for PS4 at my place.  

Im certain a few will buy in and the best that will come out of that is a strengthening of AMD.     PS4 could validate AMDs custom business which gives them an advantage over Intel as Intel is very reluctant to do custom.    It will be interesting to see how far along this processor is with respect to AMDs move to heterogeneous computing.   In fact PS4 may be ho hum for me but AMDs move into the custom market is well worth investigating.  So maybe a bit of surfing the net tonight. 

post #33 of 105
Quote:

All the tech rumors include the XBox 720 also being a custom built AMD APU. To acquire 2 out of 3 of the big game console vendor contracts for those parts [if correct] will be a big win for AMD.

You mean 2.5 out of 3? The Wii U is powered by an AMD Radeon GPU!

post #34 of 105
Is Sony -still- living in 1993?
post #35 of 105

Samsung to announce the S-Box iPlay Galaxy in 3... 2... 1...

post #36 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

More foreskin than foresight!

OMG, I *heart* this comment

post #37 of 105
Not impressed. Specs and promises? Heard them all before. This thing will be out of date the moment it hits the market. PCs and Macs will continually evolve; this thing will be frozen in the year 2013, FOREVER.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 105

Blizzard!

post #39 of 105
Quote:

Not impressed. Specs and promises? Heard them all before. This thing will be out of date the moment it hits the market. PCs and Macs will continually evolve; this thing will be frozen in the year 2013, FOREVER.

Not impressed either, they are just TALKING!!!!!!, been over TWO HOURS of talking, game footage and specs and no console, just a few pics of a hand controller, this is far too long for a presentation.

post #40 of 105
Quote:

And don't even get me started on the 3.x firmware debacle: I never hated a company more than Sony over that crap.

You will have to narrow your hatred down a little, which of the many features that were added with the numerous 3.x releases don't you like?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sony announces PS4, touts unification of hardware, software, internet capabilities