or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google steps further into the hardware fray, announces touchscreen Chromebook Pixel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google steps further into the hardware fray, announces touchscreen Chromebook Pixel - Page 4

post #121 of 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Google thanks you. They've made thousands off of your personal information.

 

Really doubtful.  From just online ads, I believe it's about $14 a year per person, on average. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would imagine the revenue Google creates per person using their services would be a closely guarded secret. Is it? Even if we don't have those numbers, I bet you're still close.

 

We know Google's ad rates, so it's not hard to calculate how much you make them, depending on how often you see their ads and/or click on them.   There are even websites that'll calculate it for you.   Google for some.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

You never have to click an ad and Google still makes money from you.  (Example of car searching snipped)

 

Yep, and the same thing goes for Apple with its iAds service.

 

Both Apple and Google sell anonymous targeted ads, using our location, plus the information they've gotten from our searches, profiles, iTunes accounts, media and app purchases, etc.

 

Personally, I usually like targeted ads over random ones.  Although there was a time a couple of years ago that Google got into its head that I was looking for a new car, and even after I got one, most of the ads were about new cars.  So I went to my Google Dashboard, dug down to the advertising section, and removed "new car" from the ad profile they'd built up on me.  


Edited by KDarling - 2/21/13 at 8:11pm
post #122 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Ignore the OS completely as you can install Windows on it and it is Linux so you do have other options. Just look at the HW and see if it's a better deal over a 13" RMBP.

You can't run Windows 7 on the 32 GB. Soon it will slow down to a crawl. 

post #123 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

Really doubtful.  From just online ads, I believe it's about $14 a year per person, on average. 

That's what Google paid you. I pay you $100 now for your life. Will that mean your life worth "only" $100?

 

If you think your private informations that they stock on their servers every day worth that less then I pity you. 


Edited by matrix07 - 2/21/13 at 8:21pm
post #124 of 226
Kinda hard to make the hardware to seem to disappear when it requires a hard keyboard, Apple will probably soon make all its retinas 290+ pixels so that it will have the highest resolutions across the market (they having a 15 inch which does not meet a 12 inch is trouble) oh right I just calculated apples density vs screen size, the 15 inch retina macbook pro has a higher resolution in total, just to let know
349 pixels difference when calculated showing apples 15 inch ahead(pixels per diagnol inch) then it is only 64 when between both 13 inch, then here is the true statistics here
13 pixel chrome book=2560 by 1700
13 inch retina MacBook Pro=2560 by 1600 then of course the 15 inch retina MacBook Pro is far ahead with a 280 by 1800
post #125 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

That's what Google paid you.

 

No, that's what Google charged advertisers.  As for me, I think Google search, maps, email and all the other services I use and depend on all year, are well worth the $30 ( I think I google more than average) or so they made off showing me ads. 

 

Quote:

If you think your private informations that they stock on their servers every day worth that less then I pity you. 

 

If I was worried about private info, then I'd be even more worried about using iOS devices and iTunes / App Store, since they have my credit card info along with access to my credit history, media favorites, app choices.  

post #126 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Every time you use Google Maps, they track your location. Every time you use their search, you become a target for ads. Everything in your gmail account is theirs to use as they wish.

BFD, I don't care because I have nothing to hide. I went to my office and I allowed Google to take note of my location. I went to the mall and they updated my location. How does this harm me? Ads? Who cares about ads? I just ignore them. I never send anything via gmail that is confidential.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #127 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I find the lack of professional technical support, horrific configuration settings for corporate accounts and the aforementioned intelligent documentation dealing with working between an existing ISP and Google just a few of the reasons I can't stand their approach to computing. I find their publication software shoddy and their approach to leveraging a person's search history as a means to plug you to death with advertising a model that will eventually fail.

The more they compete in the direct OEM hardware space the faster their stock valuation [already overly inflated] will saddle down a good 50% off of where it presently stand.

Don't be so sure with the stock evaluation. As long as they have search, Wall Street will always love them as they consider it a stable revenue stream regardless of any other project failures. Apple's mistakes are magnified while Googles questionable decisions are down played. Just the way it is.
post #128 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

My philosophy is that any information I put on the internet will be used in some way by someone. I'd rather it be Google because it's in their interest to keep my information as tightly contained within their own system as possible. The only option safer than Google is to not use Internet services at all.

I have no problem with someone who uses Google services and is aware of the price. That is a choice one freely makes. It is when they pull something like they did with Safari back in the day that I do not like. As long as you are comfortable with it and get value out of their services then it is a fair transaction.
post #129 of 226

Has anyone seen a mention of who is building the Pixel?  I haven't seen any manufacturer's name attached, so I have to assume it's being made by Motorola.

post #130 of 226

I do not know if Chrome OS is ready for a big cost device like this yet. I use a cheaper one and it is fantastic, but I would not pay more than 600 for a chrome book at the moment.

 

I think Google smell MS blood and are jumping into the water earlier than expected to try and get a hold in the market before Apple can snap up all the dissapointed windows users.

post #131 of 226
You have got to be joking me!
$1300.00 for a goddamn browser book? Pah lease!!!!
post #132 of 226

It looks quite decent hardware-wise. Not up to Apple's standards (nothing is) but way above average. I like the idea of a squarer screen, the only time I like a widescreen is when watching movies, the rest of the time a square screen would probably be better. But I do too much outside the browser to ever buy this computer. Maybe it would make a good Ubuntu or Debian laptop if it's compatible and if it's possible to remove Chrome OS.

post #133 of 226

Ok $1300.00 for a web browser. Oh so 1997. 

Now who is going to fix that thing when it breaks? What about viruses?

Google makes it cash off of our clicks. But venturing into hardware is a different beast.The loses are too great and it would chip away at their bottom line.

IMHO, Google released that crap after their stock went to $800.00 just to give the perception that they have growth outside their comfort zone. And with those new stores on the horizon Wall Street is playing their games. Expect that pixel and the stores to be a f******* bust. 

post #134 of 226

Dead before Arrival

post #135 of 226

I suspect the price cuts across the rMBP range last week was because Apple found out about this.

post #136 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Pretty cool. I'm excited to see Google press on with high quality hardware Chrome. Every little thing that digs away at MS is good in my eyes. Google/Android/Samsung will keep Apple sharper than MS ever could.

I'm sure Apple feels the pressure to go retina on all their hardware. Pretty cool on the Wi-Fi LTE connectivity. All Apple's hardware needs that, in my humble opinion, including the iPods.

The iPod does have LTE. It is called the iPhone.
post #137 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

No, that's what Google charged advertisers.  As for me, I think Google search, maps, email and all the other services I use and depend on all year, are well worth the $30 ( I think I google more than average) or so they made off showing me ads. 

You're mistaken. That's what Google paid anyone who's willing to give it full datas access for a year. It's not what Google made off for ads per person for a year. I'm willing to pay you $100 for your car but that also doesn't mean your car is only worth $100.

post #138 of 226
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
If I was worried about private info, then I'd be even more worried about using iOS devices and iTunes / App Store, since they have my credit card info along with access to my credit history, media favorites, app choices.  

 

That is the lamest argument I ever heard.

post #139 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

If I was worried about private info, then I'd be even more worried about using iOS devices and iTunes / App Store, since they have my credit card info along with access to my credit history, media favorites, app choices.  

I would have thought your browsing history would be more revealing than your app and media choices. Since nearly every site has Google Ads and these ads ping back to the mothership, Google has your browsing history regardless of whether you use Chrome or not. If you also have Gmail with them, in theory they could email your browsing history to everyone in your inbox.

post #140 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post


The iPod does have LTE. It is called the iPhone.


Not exactly an unflawed counter-argument. The iPad comes with LTE, but it is no phone, at least no more than the iPod.

post #141 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Has anyone seen a mention of who is building the Pixel?  I haven't seen any manufacturer's name attached, so I have to assume it's being made by Motorola.


That's a good question. If you are right, it would be the device that Motorola is making for Google since the acquisition. About time they give some love back to the family.

post #142 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

Google is charging $1,299 for a web browser and try to sell it as a MacBook knock-off. What's wrong with them?


It may be an expensive device for what it does but it would be untrue to say they are selling it as a MacBook knock-off. Stay honest.

post #143 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Seems to me this is just Google designers wagging their tails wanting to show that they can do a premium laptop too.  But most people are looking at it as $1300 for a glorified web browser.  And only 5 hours battery life.  This has FAIL written all over it.  Plus I personally think the retina MacBook looks nocer and more polished.  Maybe Google was looking for more of an industrial look but I think it looks too industrial.  And I don't like the boxy feel.  Reminds me of laptops from 5+ years ago.


Just because people with limited knowledge look at it as a glorified web browser doesn't make it true. This may well turn out to be a failure, but you can comment like one of those ignorant people. Or you could comment fairly and learnedly. Your choice.

post #144 of 226

This is worse than Surface Pro... Over $1000 browser base laptop... I guess Google stock price way too high and management start spin themselves.

Microsoft will say thanks Google, create and lunch the product higher price than Surface Pro.

post #145 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by karas11 View Post

This is worse than Surface Pro... Over $1000 browser base laptop... I guess Google stock price way too high and management start spin themselves.
Microsoft will say thanks Google, create and lunch the product higher price than Surface Pro.

I think it raises the question of how little Google thinks of the Ultrabook type machines if this is their interpretation of the idea. Or maybe they think too highly of ChromeOS for their own good.
post #146 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

No, that's what Google charged advertisers.  As for me, I think Google search, maps, email and all the other services I use and depend on all year, are well worth the $30 ( I think I google more than average) or so they made off showing me ads. 

If I was worried about private info, then I'd be even more worried about using iOS devices and iTunes / App Store, since they have my credit card info along with access to my credit history, media favorites, app choices.  

Credit card can be a concern. But Google has a good chunk of your browsing history, search history, plus all of your email sent to your gmail account. They might even have tied to your profile any emails you sent to gmail from other accounts. Any site that you visit that uses any of Google's services are also available to them. You're in their analytics and their ad services from several different directions.
post #147 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


Just because people with limited knowledge look at it as a glorified web browser doesn't make it true. This may well turn out to be a failure, but you can comment like one of those ignorant people. Or you could comment fairly and learnedly. Your choice.

I can confidently say fail when even the google fanboys on c|net, Engadget, the Verge, etc. are laughing at this.  Maybe Google will have the last laugh in the end, but what's the compelling reason to buy this over a retina MacBook Pro or an Ultrabook with a hi res display?  I just don't see it.

post #148 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by karas11 View Post

This is worse than Surface Pro... Over $1000 browser base laptop... I guess Google stock price way too high and management start spin themselves.

Microsoft will say thanks Google, create and lunch the product higher price than Surface Pro.

Between this and the uber expensive google glasses I'm not sure what Google is thinking.  

post #149 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Between this and the uber expensive google glasses I'm not sure what Google is thinking.  

We can Apple, too!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #150 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Between this and the uber expensive google glasses I'm not sure what Google is thinking.  

That makes five hardware products. With that, and a few accessories, maybe Google can stock a chain of mall kiosks and call them Google Stores.
post #151 of 226
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
That makes five hardware products. With that, and a few accessories, maybe Google can stock a chain of mall kiosks and call them Google Stores.

 

Pop them up outside Apple Stores in malls like all those Rosetta Stone kiosks.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #152 of 226
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

BFD, I don't care because I have nothing to hide. I went to my office and I allowed Google to take note of my location. I went to the mall and they updated my location. How does this harm me?

 

It's amazing that anyone actually still says this.  The "I have nothing to hide" argument has been debunked repeatedly over the years.  You have only to do a quick search for ( "nothing to hide" argument ) to find dozens of writeups explaining why that's BS.  Please read at least a couple.  People have different comfort levels of what they're willing to share, but everyone has things they don't want shared with others.  If you really mean what you say, please post a naked picture of yourself here in your response, along with your address.  Both of those are innocuous, right?  We'd all find it entertaining, I'm sure.  Later you can include a valid CC# as well.  We'll see if you have nothing to hide.

 

Beyond the stupid arguments (both ways) above, you're conflating secrecy and privacy.  I believe you're an intelligent dude from most of your posts here over the years, you really need to read up on this topic before making silly statements like the above.  Here's just one (widely respected) article: https://chronicle.com/article/Why-Privacy-Matters-Even-if/127461/ Please do the courtesy of reading it before replying.

 


Ads? Who cares about ads? I just ignore them.

 

You're right on one hand, i.e. who gives a shit about the ads?  Because it's not about the ads, it's about the data collection that underlies them.  Google says you can disable profile-based ads, but they never allow you to disable the actual data collection and analysis of your personal data.  Never confuse what you see publicly with what's happening behind the scenes.

 


I never send anything via gmail that is confidential.

 

I bet you're mistaken.  Do you carefully use different email addresses for different purposes?  Email is so pervasive that it's hard to imagine you don't send confidential information all the time.  Do your doctors and dental offices have your email address?  If so, Google has cataloged those relationships, along with every appointment, questions to your caregivers, responses from your caregivers, etc.  Do you see your dentist every 6 months, or do you fudge?  Google knows.  Did you wish your friends a happy birthday recently?  Now google knows their birthdays, and probably their ages.  Do you never talk about anything personal over email about friends and family?  Really??

No Matte == No Sale :-(
Reply
No Matte == No Sale :-(
Reply
post #153 of 226

Is the Pixel's display an IPS or a TN panel? TN switches quicker, but its physically limited to 6-bits a channel RGB, which means all kinds of dithering tricks etc. are used to fake 8-bits so manufacturer can say "24-bit color." Everybody does that with TN displays, including Apple with Airs and older MBP's for years. But this thing is allegedly supposed to go play in Retina league. Can anyone confirm if its a TN or IPS panel?

 

Everybody and their dog piled on Apple for using Intel i5/GMA4000 to drive 13" rMBP, but the Pixel has more pixels using a ULV part running 600Mhz slower. Half the RAM? No storage? (you get a terabyte of Google-cloud for three years so they can mine your data after you pay them for the terminal to acquire it. Yay.)

 

Where's the Droid Boys making fun of "overpriced" Retinas now?

 

 

post #154 of 226

The next "platform war" is going to be wearable tech. It will be Google's glasses v. Apple's wristband. And maybe Microsoft's underpants, going by their recent track record.

 

A laptop that only runs a browser doesn't make sense because you will probably be wearing something with a browser. Laptops will still be around but they will be for work-like apps.

post #155 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

  If you really mean what you say, please post a naked picture of yourself here in your response, along with your address.  Both of those are innocuous, right?  We'd all find it entertaining, I'm sure.  Later you can include a valid CC# as well.  We'll see if you have nothing to hide.

 


I never send anything via gmail that is confidential.

 

I bet you're mistaken.  Do you carefully use different email addresses for different purposes?  

 

 

You've made some good points about privacy. What I meant is I really don't worry about anything I have shared with Google being revealed because it isn't worth much in my opinion. As far as the email is concerned: Yes I do use different emails. As I mentioned I don't use gmail for anything other than to interact with Google. I have a corporate email for business and a .me address for personal use.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #156 of 226

TheVerge has a lengthy article on one of Google's other hardware products, Google Glass. Nice to read what an outside user has to say about his experience with them.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4013406/i-used-google-glass-its-the-future-with-monthly-updates

 

EDIT: For those that don't read the article, one of the big selling points is that Google Glass is iPhone compatible.


Edited by Gatorguy - 2/22/13 at 11:20am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #157 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000 View Post

Is the Pixel's display an IPS or a TN panel?

It is IPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The next "platform war" is going to be wearable tech. It will be Google's glasses v. Apple's wristband. And maybe Microsoft's underpants, going by their recent track record.

A laptop that only runs a browser doesn't make sense because you will probably be wearing something with a browser. Laptops will still be around but they will be for work-like apps.

Wearable computers might be very alien to Apple. They might have to change their modus operandi to allow for a lot of variety in sizes, shapes, looks because apparel is so varied.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #158 of 226
Had they pulled a leaf from Amazon's playbook and priced it at $500 or less to get the entry into their ecosystem as widely spread as possible I could see some rational reason for it.

But at $1500? No, none at all.
post #159 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

 

Aren't all laptops going to have touchscreens in the near future?  Apple is making OS X more touch-ready with every update (launchpad, full-screen apps, gestures on the trackpad, etc.).  I can't wait to buy the first MacBook Touch or whatever they call it.

 

There's no reason to think they will. And, it's a mistake to confuse "gesture friendly" with "touch-ready". One does not equate with the other.

post #160 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Had they pulled a leaf from Amazon's playbook and priced it at $500 or less to get the entry into their ecosystem as widely spread as possible I could see some rational reason for it.

But at $1500? No, none at all.

They want to be known as a premium product just like Apple. Even the Google Glass is going to be over a thousand bucks.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google steps further into the hardware fray, announces touchscreen Chromebook Pixel