or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Purported 'iPad 5' case shows slimmer design akin to iPad mini

Rumor: Purported 'iPad 5' case shows slimmer design akin to iPad mini - Page 2

post #41 of 57
The slimmer it becomes the less likely I become in ever purchasing one. But by all means keep buying them. My stock investment thanks you all.
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Images of a case purported to be that of Apple's next-generation full-size iPad appear to show a slightly thinner tablet with smaller side bezels, much like the current iPad mini.

None of these pictures shows the front so how do get get "smaller side bezels"?

post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's the point of the update, then? It has an A6X now. So the "iPad 5" would basically exist for the sole purpose of a thinner side bezel. Completely worthless! The trolls would have a field day, and they'd be right for once in their existence.

The last Apple product (of ANY product) to be given an update without a change to the CPU was the iPhone 3G. Before that, it was a computer in the mid '90s pre-Jobs.

Sure, we can also expect the capacities to move to 32/64/128 (maybe), but that's still not an update. The trolls would be able to say "they didn't update it and are calling it a new product", and unlike when they said it for the iPhone 4S, 5, and iPad 4, many of us would agree with them. 

I agree completely.  I had a similar argument with another person in another thread a few months ago.  Said just a body change and no internals would be crazy.  And 32/64/128 would be the only way I could see it.  I don't know if I like agreeing with you 100% and even saying the exact same thing to a T..... the world must be about to end. :)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Let's pretend it kept the same weight but it was 1/4" inch shorter on each side so that the width in portrait goes from 7.31" to 6.81". How much lighter would it feel by simply having the farthest point from the fulcrum of your hand (am I stating that correctly?) by 1/2" closer?

Calculated it to feel lighter by approx 10%. (Depends on hand size and how much one stretches ones hand to make it fell lighter though that gets uncomfortable).

Assumed position of hand below iPad at 2.5" from the end, and the thumb above at the very end. Device weight W. Also assuming the iPad is held parallel to the ground.

With the current dimensions, weight on hand below is about 1.46W and thumb exerts downward force of 0.46W. Total 1.92W.

For 6.81", weight on hand below is about 1.36W and thumb exerts downward force of 0.36W. Total 1.72W.

Edited by arch - 2/23/13 at 6:13pm
post #45 of 57
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
I agree completely.  I had a similar argument with another person in another thread a few months ago.  Said just a body change and no internals would be crazy.  And 32/64/128 would be the only way I could see it.  I don't know if I like agreeing with you 100% and even saying the exact same thing to a T..... the world must be about to end. :)

Let's just say we're both going a little crazy. Meet in the middle of the rope and call it a cactus.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #46 of 57
Quote:

Let's pretend it kept the same weight but it was 1/4" inch shorter on each side so that the width in portrait goes from 7.31" to 6.81". How much lighter would it feel by simply having the farthest point from the fulcrum of your hand (am I stating that correctly?) by 1/2" closer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch View Post

Calculated it to feel lighter by approx 10%. (Depends on hand size and how much one stretches ones hand to make it fell lighter though that gets uncomfortable).

Assumed position of hand below iPad at 2.5" from the end, and the thumb above at the very end. Device weight W. Also assuming the iPad is held parallel to the ground.

With the current dimensions, weight on hand below is about 1.46W and thumb exerts downward force of 0.46W. Total 1.92W.

For 6.81", weight on hand below is about 1.36W and thumb exerts downward force of 0.36W. Total 1.72W.

For had below, position at 3" from end seems for natural. In that case:

With the current dimensions, weight on hand below is about 1.22W and thumb exerts downward force of 0.22W. Total 1.44W.

For 6.81", weight on hand below is about 1.13W and thumb exerts downward force of 0.13W. Total 1.26W.

Again the lighter it feels is about 10-15%.

post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I agree completely.  I had a similar argument with another person in another thread a few months ago.  Said just a body change and no internals would be crazy.  And 32/64/128 would be the only way I could see it.  I don't know if I like agreeing with you 100% and even saying the exact same thing to a T..... the world must be about to end. 1smile.gif

OK, so that's two of you (including TS) who are criticizing an unannounced product with no rumored or published specs on the basis of it not offering enough.

Why are people so eager to criticize things that they admit that they know nothing about?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #48 of 57
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
…(including TS)…

NOPE, but you could read my post again.

post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haysdb View Post

"What's the word on what sort of CPU is going to be inside?" A6X. Maybe a process shrunk version. It's too soon for the A7.

Jrag- so you can see what TS was quoting. Hay said he thinks it would be an A6X- TS said nope and then clarified why.
Pretty much myself and TS don't think an iPad will be coming out with just a simple redesign- it would need a processor change or something bigger. We're not criticizing an unreleased product that may or may not happen- Moreso speculating on what it will likely have when released.

Hope that clears it up

Btw- if we want to take away speculation, each thread would have 2 posts (including first)

post #50 of 57
How is he holding the middle one in the second picture? I'm not that drunk am I?

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch View Post

Thanks for doing the math. I don't even know what to call that. Is their a law in physics I can look so I can figure out go to calculate iron my own? I'd at least like to be able to use a term to refer to the effect.

I have a few hours on Sunday on a train to kill. What before way to spend it than my teaching myself some new math. I'm not sure if it commendable or sad that I want to know howmtomcalculate it myself. 1smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OK, so that's two of you (including TS) who are criticizing an unannounced product with no rumored or published specs on the basis of it not offering enough.

Why are people so eager to criticize things that they admit that they know nothing about?

If they are criticizing anything it's the rumour for not sounding realistic, not an Apple product.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

How is he holding the middle one in the second picture? I'm not that drunk am I?

Here are two possibilities:

1- Those are the hands of Chris Angel, and the tablets are actually levitating in mid air.

2- The tablets are actually resting on a table or flat surface and the surface has been photoshopped away.

post #53 of 57

All this fulcrum nonsense is very interesting but not important.

The software (iOS) will be designed to ignore a thumb touching the side of the screen.

post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

All this fulcrum nonsense is very interesting but not important.
The software (iOS) will be designed to ignore a thumb touching the side of the screen.

It's important if it feels too heavy and it has absolutely no barring on whether the OS is ignoring handholds on the display or not.

post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's the point of the update, then? It has an A6X now. So the "iPad 5" would basically exist for the sole purpose of a thinner side bezel. Completely worthless! The trolls would have a field day, and they'd be right for once in their existence.

The last Apple product (of ANY product) to be given an update without a change to the CPU was the iPhone 3G. Before that, it was a computer in the mid '90s pre-Jobs.

Sure, we can also expect the capacities to move to 32/64/128 (maybe), but that's still not an update. The trolls would be able to say "they didn't update it and are calling it a new product", and unlike when they said it for the iPhone 4S, 5, and iPad 4, many of us would agree with them. 
No, it would exist because it would be a significantly smaller, thinner, and lighter full size iPad. Relentless Iterative improvement.

I don't give a crap what trolls say.
post #56 of 57
Originally Posted by Haysdb View Post
No, it would exist because it would be a significantly smaller, thinner, and lighter full size iPad. Relentless Iterative improvement.

So more of a De Lorean-style upgrade cycle than the way all previous upgrades have been.

post #57 of 57
Quote:

Thanks for doing the math. I don't even know what to call that. Is their a law in physics I can look so I can figure out go to calculate iron my own? I'd at least like to be able to use a term to refer to the effect.

I have a few hours on Sunday on a train to kill. What before way to spend it than my teaching myself some new math. I'm not sure if it commendable or sad that I want to know howmtomcalculate it myself. 1smile.gif
If they are criticizing anything it's the rumour for not sounding realistic, not an Apple product.

Its just force and torque balancing. The law would be Newtons first law. To have the body at rest, the sum of all forces at it should be zero!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Purported 'iPad 5' case shows slimmer design akin to iPad mini
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Purported 'iPad 5' case shows slimmer design akin to iPad mini