or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung unwraps Galaxy Note 8.0 to take on Apple's iPad mini

Samsung unwraps Galaxy Note 8.0 to take on Apple's iPad mini

post #1 of 165
Apple's chief competitor Samsung used this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona to unveil its competitor to the highly successful iPad mini -- a stylus-enabled Galaxy Note 8.0 that the South Korean conglomerate hopes will finally make inroads in the mini tablet sector that it arguably pioneered years ago.

Note 8.0

The Note 8.0 ? news of which leaked late last month ? packs a screen larger than Apple's iPad mini by just a tenth of an inch. That eight-inch screen also comes in a higher resolution than does Apple's successful mid-size tablet, with the Note outputting at 1280x800 with 189ppi versus the mini's 1024x768 at 163ppi. Its camera options just about match the mini's, with both devices sporting 5MP rear cameras and the Note's 1.3MP front-facing camera just edging out the mini's 1.2MP unit.

Like most of the company's other consumer electronics offerings, the Note 8.0 avoids the metal build that typifies Apple's products, instead opting for a plastic body ringed with metal. Samsung has also built cellular capabilities into the device, packing in HSPA+ connectivity. The company's announcement was unclear whether the cellular model will be the only option, but Samsung usually rolls out devices with a Wi-Fi only model.

At 338g (11.9 ounces), the Note is slightly heavier than the iPad mini. The left edge of the device has slots for microSD card expansion and micro-SIM cards. Inside, it has a 4,600mAh battery, though Samsung has not given details on expected battery life.

Note 8.0

The Note 8.0's distinguishing feature is its S Pen stylus. The pressure-sensitive stylus natively enables a range of input options largely unavailable on competing devices, including handwriting recognition and a number of gesture-based shortcuts. Samsung has also tweaked Google's Android operating system so as to let the S Pen show previews of videos, emails, photos, and appointments just by hovering the pen over the screen.

The Note 8.0 continues a mixed tradition for Samsung. The company's full-size tablet, the Galaxy Note 10.1, debuted to mixed reviews and lukewarm sales. The smartphone Note models, though, have seen much wider success, with the first Galaxy Note selling in excess of 10 million units despite early mocking of the device's size. Its successor, the Note II, moved three million units in the thirty days following its release, and has gone on to solid sales since.

Note 8.0

With the Note 8.0, Samsung hopes to finally establish a measure of success for in the tablet sector, a segment the company has struggled in since introducing its first offerings. Sales of the company's Galaxy Tab line essentially amount to a rounding error when compared to Apple's iPad and iPad mini.

The Note 8.0, though, marks Samsung's reentry into the mid-sized tablet market, a segment the company pioneered three years ago. Samsung was the first major manufacturer to release a seven-inch tablet with its Galaxy Tab 7.0 and its successor, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 2. Those devices, like Samsung's other tablet attempts, met with middling sales at best. In the years since, though, the company has achieved considerable mindshare in the smartphone sector, and Samsung hopes it can parlay its improved brand awareness into tablet sales.

Samsung has yet to provide information on pricing and availability for the Galaxy Note 8.0.
post #2 of 165
Better be priced at least $100 less than the mini if it wants any traction at all. And why no Retina level display? Where is the innovation? Oh yeah, those criticisms are reserved for Apple.
post #3 of 165

This looks like a nice trick. Do like the stylus. If the eco system was there this would be competitive.

post #4 of 165
CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP
post #5 of 165
Is Samsung incapable of ever coming up with an original idea?!
post #6 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

Is Samsung incapable of ever coming up with an original idea?!

They had a ~7" tablet a long time before Apple did.  Granted it was an incredibly crappy tablet, but they had one.  For once, this isn't a case of Samsung copying Apple.

post #7 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Better be priced at least $100 less than the mini if it wants any traction at all. And why no Retina level display? Where is the innovation? Oh yeah, those criticisms are reserved for Apple.

The 5.3" Galaxy Note II (GT-N7100) has the same resolution display as this 8" model and it's MRSP is $999 with a price on Amazon coming directly from Samsung for $679. Even removing what Apple charges for cellular in their products doesn't bring it within the iPad mini (or 10" iPad) range.

Since the resolution is the same the cost per square inch of the display would be more expensive than this 8" model but its a larger display so I think it's likely to cost a little more overall. One interesting thing to note is that the 7.85" iPad mini has a little more display area over this 8" Note because of the differences in aspect ratio.

The older HW and look of the design tells me that Samsung had solidified this design before the IPad mini was ever announced. Perhaps they shelved the plans and only decided to put in production so they can have something more comparable in this space.

Digitizers have historically been expensive and using the Wacom brand in your product can't be cheap. Even though it's the first real competitor to the iPad mini in this category I have to think Samsung's "me-too" product is really geared as a "me-first" product against other Android-based tablets, not against Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #8 of 165
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
They had a ~7" tablet a long time before Apple did.  Granted it was an incredibly crappy tablet, but they had one.  For once, this isn't a case of Samsung copying Apple.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Microsoft creates crap. 

No one buys crap.

Apple creates real tablet.

People buy real tablet.

Samsung creates small crap.

No one buys small crap.

Apple creates small tablet.

People buy small tablet.

Samsung creates… 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #9 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

And Samsung wouldn't be making any tablets in any size, if it weren't for the iPad. Making something smaller isn't exactly innovative.

As for this Note tablet, it seems pretty crappy. It's heavier than the iPad Mini, the bezels look too fat and it has that luxurious plastic enclosure. And does it only come in girly white? The stylus also looks like a pretty easy thing to lose or misplace.

And let's not forget the fact that this is running Android, which further adds to it's complete crapiness and cements it's position as something not worth owning. I am going to have to give it two big fat thumbs down.

post #10 of 165

I like how they don't even have a mention of this thing on their website.  1oyvey.gif

Not only that, their site search is "dumb" so a search for "Galaxy Note 8" yields pages and pages of irrelevant crap just because some document has the word "galaxy" or "note" in it, and none of the titles of their "Galaxy Note" products includes the size so you have to click on three or four different "Galaxy Note" results before you realise it isn't there.  

Apple has a clear, detailed, easy to understand product page about every single product within 20 minutes of it being announced to the world.  They also put the latest products at the top of the first page.  

Samsung's right hand doesn't even know what it's left is doing it seems. 

post #11 of 165

http://gizmodo.com/5986485/galaxy-note-80-hands-on-the-8+inch-tablet-as-an-8+inch-phone

AI didnt mention that the international version is gonna be a phone too. A Giant 8-inch screen phone.

Time for those oversized-phone lovers to rejoice I guess? /s

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
post #12 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Making something smaller isn't exactly innovative.

Couldn't agree more. So tired of pundits saying that Apple lacked in innovating in the "space" of small tablets and large phones.

Quote:

The stylus also looks like a pretty easy thing to lose or misplace.

The stylus is useful for some. While artists here and there are using the iPad for "fingerpainting", many of them do wish for a pen. But I am not sure this stylus does the trick because artists prefer a pressure-sensitive pen.

Quote:

As for this Note tablet, it seems pretty crappy. It's heavier than the iPad Mini, the bezels look too fat and it has that luxurious plastic enclosure. And does it only come in girly white?

I don't think that only metallic casing confers quality. Plus, Samsung is striving for a uniform design in the Galaxy "family". But the mini is superior in quality all around. The innovation is its design and manufacturing, which is just completely neglected by the technorati. Shame.

post #13 of 165

" Samsung already has devices in sizes 1.5, 1.8, 1.9, 2, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.8, 3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.7, 4, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7, 4.8, 5.0, 5.3, 5.5, 5.8, 7.0, 7.7, 8.9, and 10.1. Why not add another to the pile. Talk about fragmentation :P "

" It isn't fragmentation, it's consumer choice. "

(Oh my ...)

post #14 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The stylus is useful for some. While artists here and there are using the iPad for "fingerpainting", many of them do wish for a pen. 

According to the NEA (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:8c0lGkmy1YMJ:www.nea.gov/research/artistsinworkforce_execsum.pdf+what+proportion+of+people+are+artists&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjBKnXACAIdHibgLCtcks5hBpPc2PwE9Is_Rg9l7ITIPDYxh9pfsl1bF3PxZVgIroao6g-a8HDTn9xkIedfl_WRgZ15pjDR8ZY0eYZOusD0cI1irtHX9vOYJbaH2FRbY93NuoKE&sig=AHIEtbQlNIG7NDriHoAEtwUVDINiq6vQiw), there are roughly 2 million people who can be classified as 'artists' (including performing artists). Of that, 11% are classified as "fine artists, art directors, and animators." That is, 220,000 people. (Adding 'designers', 39%, or 780,000; but that is perhaps too broad a category).

In other words, somewhere between 0.067% and 0.3% of the population.

That's a very tiny market to pursue. 

post #15 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156148/samsung-unwraps-galaxy-note-8-0-to-take-on-apples-ipad-mini#post_2283254"]
The stylus also looks like a pretty easy thing to lose or misplace.

If it's like the Note 2 there's tech built into the stylus that will sound an alarm if the device gets too far away from the stylus.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #16 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

" Samsung already has devices in sizes 1.5, 1.8, 1.9, 2, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.8, 3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.7, 4, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7, 4.8, 5.0, 5.3, 5.5, 5.8, 7.0, 7.7, 8.9, and 10.1. Why not add another to the pile. Talk about fragmentation :P "

(Oh my ...)

So long as they use the same resolution over I would classify that as choice and not fragmentation, at least in relation to the display. There is still other HW changes that will lead to fragmentation that can slow or stop OS updates from carriers and vendors.

post #17 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

(Oh my ...)

Dicks come in all those sizes too, good thing girls still choose us despite our 'fragmentation'.
post #18 of 165
It is a downer to me that the 'distinguishing feature' is a stylus. Shouldn't it be retina quality screen, 892.11ac supporting wifi, dual cell chips to cover both CDMA and GSM. A 8 mp, low light camera etc.

Ya know, tablet features

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #19 of 165
Quote:

And Samsung wouldn't be making any tablets in any size, if it weren't for the iPad.

I don't wish to sound critical but saying that Samsung wouldn't be making any tablets in any size, if it wasn't for the iPad is like saying Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Henry Ford. The iPad was not the first tablet.  Anyone remember this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1381528/Knight-Ridder-tablet-looks-just-like-iPad-17-YEARS-OLD.html

This is my first post in a discussion so forgive me if ive done something wrong.

Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
post #20 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

I don't wish to sound critical but saying that Samsung wouldn't be making any tablets in any size, if it wasn't for the iPad is like saying Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Henry Ford. The iPad was not the first tablet.  Anyone remember this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1381528/Knight-Ridder-tablet-looks-just-like-iPad-17-YEARS-OLD.html

This is my first post in a discussion so forgive me if ive done something wrong.

This won't end well...

post #21 of 165

I spotted a mistake in my comment. What i meant to say was. Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Daimler but neither would if it wasn't for Henry Ford. Hope that makes more sense. 

post #22 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In other words, (artists make up) somewhere between 0.067% and 0.3% of the population.

That's a very tiny market to pursue. 

There are 1 billion smartphone users in the WORLD.  The max ratio of 0.3% would be 3 million buyers.

However, the first Note sold over 10 million, with the Note 2 expected to  top that, by perhaps up to double.

Obviously more than just artists make up the people buying the Note.  For example, there have been news stories about executives using pens to annotate PDFs and then send them to their teams. I've also seen reports of field contractors using them to take notes on construction diagrams.

Personally, I used to use a stylus all the time on my old WinMo smartphones, to draw diagrams and take notes before going to Home Depot to buy materials.   I also used to jot down circuit ideas.  Sometimes it's just easier for anyone to scribble down info, or draw a picture, rather than have to type it in.

Edited by KDarling - 2/24/13 at 1:57pm
post #23 of 165

Have some fun and Google the Galaxy Tab 7......... and remember what a brick that that thing is....

post #24 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Auen View Post

Have some fun and Google a Galaxy Tab 7..................... and recognize what a brick that thing is............

My mother has one of those. Its not that bad really, yes its android and its a small screen but for her its perfect. 

post #25 of 165
Quote:

I spotted a mistake in my comment. What i meant to say was. Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Daimler but neither would if it wasn't for Henry Ford. Hope that makes more sense. 

Not really, since Karl Benz invented the automobile?

post #26 of 165
It runs Android, has a stylus pen, is made of plastic and will be cheaper than the iPad Mini, so now Samsung will be touted as having the best mini-tablet in the world because Apple has failed to innovate. Wall Street already thinks Samsung is a better company than Apple because Samsung knows how to stuff inventory. Good for Samsung. Bad for Apple. This Galaxy Note seems like it would be a useful product, but does everything Samsung makes have to be compared to some Apple product.
post #27 of 165
Quote:

Nice try. We've all seen that pic, and all of us (here at least) know full well that tablets existed before the iPad.
post #28 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Obviously more than just artists make up the people buying the Note.

Obviously people use a tablet for more than art. What's your point?

I was simply responding empirically a to specific point stelligent made about the potential market for the Note among artists.....

post #29 of 165
Quote:
Not really, since Karl Benz invented the automobile?

Oh, I've just looked it up...your right...my bad. LOL. They do say though that it was the Austin 7 that finally had all the controls in the right place. Anyway back to the topic at hand.

post #30 of 165
Quote:

Well they wouldn't be mass producing them at least, which is what Ford is credited for.
post #31 of 165
Quote:

What a horrible argument on so many levels. If you are going to lay claim that Apple hasn't created anything with the iPad and want to use a concept video of a never designed or built product at least use a concept that is older than 1994. Like Star Trek or many decades of sci-fi that describe a computer in something the size and weight of a notebook.

Or how about using actual tablets that existed for more than two decades before the iPad; efore that 1994 concept video was made. You not only have 2 decades of failed Win tablets by various OEMs but Apple's own Newton which shipped in 1993.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/24/13 at 2:05pm

post #32 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What a horrible argument on so many levels. If you are going to lay claim that Apple hasn't created anything with the iPad and want to use a concept video of a never designed or built product at least use a concept that is older than 1994. Like Star Trek or many decades of sci-fi that describe a computer in something the size and weight of a notebook.

Sorry its my first time posting. Do you mean like the tablet feature in 2001 A Space Odyssey? 

post #33 of 165

One minor thing I like, is that Samsung has already brought back a feature that top smartphones used to have :

An IR blaster.

Samsung smartphones used to come with a built-in remote control app for TVs, VCRs, music players, etc.  Then when the iPhone came out without it, everyone dropped IR for a while, because Apple didn't have it.  Everyone thought that media players would switch to WiFi or Bluetooth control.

Now, years later, most people still have TVs and DVRs controlled by IR remotes, so it's still nice  to have a remote control app sometimes.

(Heh heh.  I used to use my smartphone to control TVs in bars.)

post #34 of 165
Quote:

Or how about using actual tablets that existed for more than two decades before the iPad; efore that 1994 concept video was made. You not only have 2 decades of failed Win tablets by various OEMs but Apple's own Newton which shipped in 1993.

Guess I better do my homework in future. Hope I haven't caused any offence. 

post #35 of 165
Quote:

Besides punctuation errors and blatant trolling, no; you haven't done anything wrong.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #36 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Besides punctuation errors and blatant trolling, no; you haven't done anything wrong.

Trolling? Im sorry but I dont think I have.

post #37 of 165
Quote:

Sorry its my first time posting. Do you mean like the tablet feature in 2001 A Space Odyssey? 

That's another good one.

The problem is saying that a logical and obvious prediction should get credit for the invention. How thick, heavy, fast is the iPad today? If I predict it will get thinner, lighter, and faster in the future do I start receiving checks from Apple and get lauded as some brilliant engineer? Of course not.

Also remember that Apple started iOS as a tablet project but then moved to the iPhone, and then back to a tablet. Being first in technology without consideration for usability because the tech simply isn't capable usually leads to a failed product. Again, look at the actual tablet market before the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

This doesn't sound like trolling to me. A troll who just started posting would make a claim and then no longer post or get belligerent at any counter-arguments.

Welcome to the forum, Bondm16.

post #38 of 165
Quote:

That's another good one.

The problem is saying that a logical and obvious prediction should get credit for the invention. How thick, heavy, fast is the iPad today? If I predict it will get thinner, lighter, and faster in the future do I start receiving checks from Apple and get lauded as some brilliant engineer? Of course not.

Also remember that Apple started iOS as a tablet project but then moved to the iPhone, and then back to a tablet. Being first in technology without consideration for usability because the tech simply isn't capable usually leads to a failed product. Again, look at the actual tablet market before the iPad.

I think i saw a video on you tube of Steve Jobs actually saying that the ipad was made first and he saw it and said something on the lines of..."Hey this would be great on a mobile phone..lets do that."   Thanks for the welcome SolipsismX.

post #39 of 165
isn't this just one of their phones?

I only know 10 people that get the
binary joke

I only know 10 people that get the
binary joke

post #40 of 165
Gizmag has a nice side-by-comparison of this and iPad mini that's worth a look.

I thought the last picture under Intangibles was funny:

Um… I'll take the App Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

isn't this just one of their phones?

It appears the cellular-based models will allow voice call but they are offering a basic model that only has WiFi so that, at least, won't be a phone without using a VoIP service.

They may artificially limit the voice option over cellular for some markets. Imagine trying to get your Galaxy Note 8.0 on Verizon in the US but are told that you can't simply add a data network, you have to also add a voice plan. That could be an issue.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung unwraps Galaxy Note 8.0 to take on Apple's iPad mini