or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung to launch flagship Galaxy S4 at March 14 event

Samsung to launch flagship Galaxy S4 at March 14 event

post #1 of 92
Invitations were sent out on Monday to a Samsung media event scheduled for March 14 in New York, where the company is expected to unveil its response to the iPhone 5: the flagship Galaxy S4.

Galaxy S4

After the invitations were sent out to a "Samsung Unpacked" event, CNet was able to confirm that the company is planning to show off the Galaxy S4. The invitation also strongly hints at the device, with the tagline "Ready 4 the Show."

Samsung's Galaxy S lineup represents the company's flagship smartphone, which competes head to head with Apple's newest iPhone models. Anticipation for Samsung's Galaxy S4 unveiling is so great, it's likely to overshadow most of the new products being unveiled at this week's Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona, Spain.

Last year, the Galaxy S3 managed to surpass the iPhone 4S in quarterly sales prior to the launch of the iPhone 5 at the end of 2012. But by the fourth quarter of the year, the popularity of the Galaxy S3 had waned and the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S were the world's two most popular smartphones.

Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S4 is rumored to feature an eight-core Exynox processor along with a separate eight-core graphics processor. The device is expected to feature a 4.99-inch SuperAMOLED display, 2 gigabytes of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel forward facing camera, and Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.

Over the weekend, Samsung also unveiled its latest competitor for Apple's iPad mini, the Galaxy Note 8.0. The stylus-enabled tablet is larger than Apple's iPad mini by just an eight of an inch, and features a higher resolution 1,280-by-800-pixel display with 189 pixels per inch.
post #2 of 92
My prediction:

An Android phone with a shitty skin, a massive screen, and an extremely shitty plastic case, that will neither change nor advance a single thing in the smartphone industry- which will be backed by an unprecedented multi-billion dollar marketing campaign, and whored out by every single carrier out there.
post #3 of 92
eight-core Exynox processor

Eight minute battery life…

a separate eight-core graphics processor

Sorry, eight second battery life.

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
An Android phone with… …a massive screen…

Oh, if this sucker ain't at least 5.3", I'll be sorely disappointed.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #4 of 92
When did this site become "Samsunginsider"? I've seen more posts on Samsung in the last few days than on Apple rumors and news in general.
post #5 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S4 is rumored to feature an eight-core Exynox processor along with a separate eight-core graphics processor. The device is expected to feature a 4.99-inch SuperAMOLED display, 2 gigabytes of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel forward facing camera, and Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.

Most mainstream mentions I've come across say the likelihood of Samsung's latest Octa processor making it into the next Galaxy phone is slim. I'm making a guess it will be one of the quad-cores, perhaps the 5440 that's frequently cited. There's even a less-likely rumor (IMO) out of Asia saying the Snapdragon 600 might be their choice for reasons having to do with LTE.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #6 of 92

Great, another useless thread to continue the rampant trolling and bashing in all directions. Yawn.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #7 of 92
I think that should be "Exynos" processor, or did they rename it?
post #8 of 92

Why is this news on an Apple website?  The only thing it's good for is attracting Android/anti-Apple trolls.

What I will say though is Tim Cook, please do not do this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-fame/4505-6454_7-35619195.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-young/4505-6454_7-35619218.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-13970_7-35558251.html?autoplay=true

So now in addition to the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note, we get the Galaxy Grand, Galaxy Young and Galaxy Fame.  All in the glossy plastic and metal design language of the S3.  At what point is someone going to yell STOP! To Samsung?!?

Edited by Rogifan - 2/25/13 at 6:01am
post #9 of 92
But what on earth is it for? To render 4k on your Phone Farm? Really. If Samsung is unpacking an 8-core out of this box they still don't think outside of it.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #10 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But what on earth is it for? To render 4k on your Phone Farm? Really. If Samsung is unpacking an 8-core out of this box they still don't think outside of it.
8 cores seems pretty unlikely
post #11 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

8 cores seems pretty unlikely

I was simply quoting the article.
post #12 of 92
Quote:

The "only the specs matter" crowd loves this stuff since they assume specs = usability. And like another poster I'm starting to wonder why I even visit so-called Apple centric web sites only to be inundated by articles touting the glories of the competition. Maybe there really is something to the "Apple is doomed" mantra and AI is hedging its bets, getting ready for the switch to SamsungInsider or AndroidInsider.

post #13 of 92
Quote:

I was simply quoting the article.

Then actually quote it:

"Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S4 is rumored to feature an eight-core Exynox processor..."

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #14 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

When did this site become "Samsunginsider"? I've seen more posts on Samsung in the last few days than on Apple rumors and news in general.

Click bate. If we all just ignore them maybe AI will stop doing it as much. Kind of like we are being trolled by the site itself.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #15 of 92
I can't see past the shitty photoshop type effect & lack of kerning - you could drive a bus thru that space between the D Y in READY
post #16 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

I can't see past the shitty photoshop type effect & lack of kerning - you could drive a bus thru that space between the D Y in READY

Kerning went out the window when page layout programs and the ability to use 18 fonts in one poster (which I'm surprised they didn't do in this poster) were introduced back in the 80s.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #17 of 92
Another phone from Samsung with gimmick features that most people wont use............Bring on the 5s!
post #18 of 92

I missed this the first time.

My stars, there'll be more of these this year, won't there…

post #19 of 92
[quote name="Tallest Skil"
[/quote]

Like this?

Yeah, that is the Samsung Note 8 or whatever. Sheesh.
post #20 of 92
It will be faster than the iPhone 5, but by how much? People will look at the specs and say how the iPhone has been left behind and it will fly off the carrier shelves via BOGO offers in a few months. They will sell 7 million in a quarter and analysts will say they are outselling the iPhone 5 by a land slide and how Apple is no longer revolutionary and had lost it. And the arms race continues.
post #21 of 92

Will it be three times as unreliable as the S3 is compared to the iPhone 5?

Plastic junk.

post #22 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

It will be faster than the iPhone 5, but by how much? People will look at the specs and say how the iPhone has been left behind and it will fly off the carrier shelves via BOGO offers in a few months. They will sell 7 million in a quarter and analysts will say they are outselling the iPhone 5 by a land slide and how Apple is no longer revolutionary and had lost it. And the arms race continues.

What the hell are you talking about? It will be much slower than the iphone 5, just like the s3 is slower than the 4s. Is it too much to ask for some of you to inform yourselves before posting such things as facts?

Thanks in advance.

post #23 of 92
There's a company called Micromax in India which seems to have ripped off Samsung. The new Canvas 2 looks too much like a Samsung Galaxy line phone and it works like the Galaxy Note.

I wonder how Samsung would handle this. Will they simply ignore it or will they sue, talking about IP theft?

http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/smartphones/canvas/A110-superfone-canvas-2
post #24 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post

Another phone from Samsung with gimmick features that most people wont use............Bring on the 5s!

What? You don't want the ear cleaner function or the built in chopsticks?

post #25 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

That's even worse than someone taking a picture with their iPad!

post #26 of 92
I'm not sure why all the pushback on the article. Samsung is Apple's top competitor so why would we NOT get news on what is going on in this space?

These looks like some really good specs. Makes me wonder (and imagine) what Apple has at the ready. Although Apple has seldom gone for more power of efficiency, more RAM never hurts 1smile.gif

What I like about Apple managing their own hardware is the efficiency and future features. I hope at some point Apple will be able to make a large enough leap ahead of the pack.
post #27 of 92

This image sums up just about everything that is wrong with Internet society these days. I'm more impressed than I am enraged, which is surprising.

post #28 of 92
It had better be thinner and lighter than an iPhone 5 with better battery life, a much improved build quality over the SIII, and access to frequent OS upgrades to be considered innovative in the most minimal ways. Slapping in the newest CPU and GPU available on the market is not innovation. But, perhaps they are designing their own cup as Apple is doing, we shall see.
post #29 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eight minute battery life…

If the Soc is using Arm's Big Little tech, then unless ARM are being deceptive, it could have significantly better battery life than an iPhone 5 as ARM claim up to 70% power saving

Does the iPhone 5 have great battery life?  I saw a comparison review of it and an HTC One X and Nokia Lumia 920 phones on the Gadget show in the UK and they hammered the iPhone 5 for it's poor battery life in their real world testing

Quote:
And though it's supremely thin, we would have appreciated better battery life: this thing tanks out far too quickly, and we struggled to receive calls sometimes compared to rivals we tested.
post #30 of 92

Why is there so much Samsung news on AI? This stuff just invites all the flame wars and trolling that everyone complains about.

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #31 of 92

"Ready 4 the Show"  BWAHAHAHAHAH! I get it! They replaced "for" with "4" because it's the 4th version of the phone. Genius! 

post #32 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

havent you heard, they will post about anything if they add 'in response to' or 'killer' into the story to name drop an Apple thing.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #33 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This image sums up just about everything that is wrong with Internet society these days. I'm more impressed than I am enraged, which is surprising.

That is the reason why I'm for things like Google Glass, if it wasn't so dumb looking. 

Speaking of, i saw someone on an Oscar party red carpet with the GG. A tux doesn't make it any better

post #34 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Like this?

Now this will be the end of all remaining Phone booths. We can hide behind our mobiles now.

post #35 of 92
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
That is the reason why I'm for things like Google Glass, if it wasn't so dumb looking. 

Oh, the picture-taking I found least objectionable. lol.gif

post #36 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Speaking of, i saw someone on an Oscar party red carpet with the GG. A tux doesn't make it any better

Yeah, I'm with you. It's very neat - but if you saw someone on the street constantly rolling their eyes up and right, nodding, seemingly talking aloud to themselves and tilting their head at odd moments and angles...would you think they're crazy, or playing with GG?

I rest my case.

post #37 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

There's a company called Micromax in India which seems to have ripped off Samsung. The new Canvas 2 looks too much like a Samsung Galaxy line phone and it works like the Galaxy Note.

I wonder how Samsung would handle this. Will they simply ignore it or will they sue, talking about IP theft?

http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/smartphones/canvas/A110-superfone-canvas-2

Samsung is probably who is making these phones for Micromax.

post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

What the hell are you talking about? It will be much slower than the iphone 5, just like the s3 is slower than the 4s. Is it too much to ask for some of you to inform yourselves before posting such things as facts?

Thanks in advance.

I am guessing based on Samsung's history of packing specs into their flagship and calling attention to it. As this is their newest attempt at an iPhone killer, I am assuming it will be faster in terms of processor speed as they never compete in terms of user experience.
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

"Ready 4 the Show"  BWAHAHAHAHAH! I get it! They replaced "for" with "4" because it's the 4th version of the phone. Genius! 

sarcasm tag?

always hang out with the A crowd ...

You are judged by the company you keep...

And this announcement is reminiscent of "the polyester suit" and any of Apple's invitations are reminiscent of an Armani suit!...

post #40 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Why is there so much Samsung news on AI? This stuff just invites all the flame wars and trolling that everyone complains about.

I don't know why you people keep saying this? Especially since there has been (pretty much) droidhead posts on this article so far. And in case you haven't been keeping up with current events, it's the Apple specific articles that bring out all the trolls. (or hadn't you noticed.) I mean, seriously; talk about "think before you post..."

To all Apple fans, (like me) supporters, cheerleaders or whatever you want to call yourselves; QUIT WHINING!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung to launch flagship Galaxy S4 at March 14 event