or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP announces $169 Android-based Slate 7 tablet

HP announces $169 Android-based Slate 7 tablet

post #1 of 43
Windows PC maker Hewlett-Packard announced on Monday it will get into the Android tablet market with a new 7-inch device priced at $169.

Slate

The HP Slate 7, announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, is marketed as an "affordable Android Jelly Bean consumer tablet." With a 7-inch diagonal screen and weight of 13 ounces, it will also be the first tablet with HP's embedded Beats Audio.

The device, which will launch in the U.S. in April, will be powered by a 1.6-gigahertz ARM dual-core Cortex-A9 chip, and its display has High-aperture-ratio Field Fringe Switching, which offers wide viewing angles. The tablet will also pack a 3-megapixel rear camera and forward facing VGA camera.

"To address the growing interest in tablets among consumers and businesses alike, HP will offer a range of form factors and leverage an array of operating systems," said Alberto Torres, senior vice president, Mobility Global Business Unit, HP. "Our new HP Slate 7 on Android represents a compelling entry point for consumer tablets, while our ground-breaking, business-ready HP ElitePad on Windows 8 is ideal for enterprises and governments. Both deliver the service and support people expect from HP."

HP also plans to push the "Google experience" with the newly announced HP Chromebook, a notebook running Google's Chrome OS. HP's new products aim to provide customers "easy access to Google Mobile services."

The news comes as LG announced it has acquired webOS from HP and will use it to power its own high-definition television sets. HP first acquired the lightweight webOS platform when it purchased smartphone maker Palm for $1.2 billion in 2010.

HP then developed webOS for tablets and introduced the TouchPad in 2011. But the TouchPad got off to a slow start and the company quickly abandoned the hardware that was originally intended to compete with Apple's iPad.

Now with the announcement of the Slate 7, HP has revealed its plans to embrace both Microsoft's Windows 8 and Google's Android with next-generation touchscreen devices. Priced at $169, the Slate 7 will undercut Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire HD in the 7-inch tablet market, while it's $10 more than Amazon's entry-level Kindle Fire without a high-resolution screen.
post #2 of 43
$169 yet another no profit Android tablet?
post #3 of 43
But its HP!! They can make a profitable Android table for themselves I think 1smile.gif
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HP will offer a range of form factors and leverage an array of operating systems," said Alberto Torres, senior vice president, Mobility Global Business Unit, HP.

var os = new Array();

os[0] = "Jelly Bean";

os[1] = "Windows 8";

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjunaid View Post

But its HP!! They can make a profitable Android table for themselves I think 1smile.gif

we can sell for a loss and make it up in volume?  

Meg.. this isn't an Ebay startup mode company... It's Hewlett Frickin Packard. (Compaq, DEC, Tandem, Palm etc.)  There won't be any valuation buzz on this.

$169?   Without an ecosystem,  this is just another step down the spiral 'race to the bottom' staircase.   Google owns the base ecosystem, HP needs to buy the parts from Samsung, and Amazon, B&N, Netflix will get the usage revenue.   Apple... will be nicked in that they won't be able to sell that $329 device _THIS_ year, but will have to defer that anticipated purchase till next year, when the frustrated buyer gives up and gets a 10" iPad

7" isn't 5, isn't 8, and definitely isn't 10/11/13.   It's not portable enough, not corporate enough, and HP isn't cool enough to pull this off just on reputation.

post #6 of 43
Price to HW they are certainly being competitive but it does seen unlikely HP is turning a profit on this device.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #7 of 43
I could remember when everybody was mad that apple
Didn't call the iPad the (iSlate). Glad they didn't because
That name just sounds corny to me now.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

HP marketing; "Throw a bunch of stuff at the wall. Hopefully something will stick"

Meg; "Will we make any money"

What makes you think such things originate with their marketing department?

post #9 of 43
yet once again HP shows us why it is doomed:

1. acquire a promising independent OS with great potential to power a wide range of products, and then fail to invest in its full development, leaving it atrophied instead.
2. then dump it cheap to some Asian OEM.
3. and revert to relying totally on Google and MS OS' for products.
4. thereby joining the profitless Race To The Bottom where every HP product is a mere commodity up against cutthroat competition.
5. starting with the $169 Slate 7 tablet and an HP Chromebook just announced.

in just a few years it will be all of what's left of HP itself that gets dumped cheap to some Asian OEM.
post #10 of 43

I think I might get one of these instead of the iPad Mini I was considering. I mean if AI thinks it's newsworthy enough to put on the front page as an announcement  then there must be something to it, right? 

post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I think I might get one of these instead of the iPad Mini I was considering. I mean if AI thinks it's newsworthy enough to put on the front page as an announcement  then there must be something to it, right? 

They should be labeling these stories as reports from Mobile World Congress 

post #12 of 43
I wonder if dumping WebOS so quickly was a bit short-sighted. I don't recall they tried to market it very much, and they shut it down halfway through the first model run at the first sign of trouble. Many successful product lines took a revision or two to take hold in the marketplace. I guess that's HP for you.
Edited by JeffDM - 2/25/13 at 11:14am
post #13 of 43
HP almost had to release a tablet. There is plenty of evidence that tablets will play an increasing role in computing - particularly corporate computing.

Don't count HP out. They have a very strong position in the Enterprise - and have preferred supplier agreements with many customers. And the price is quite attractive. I could picture them having some success with this if the product is any good (it is hard to tell simply from looking at the specs). Time will tell.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Price to HW they are certainly being competitive but it does seen unlikely HP is turning a profit on this device.

Is it? I think it isn't. HP has 0 buying power, so they get 0 advantages over Apple and other OEMs, in fact they get penalized.

What do they offer, here? Vanilla android (good on the surface, but 0 $ invest on apps or ecosystem and HP needs a differentiator to be seen as a viable android alternative = fail), low medium meh build quality (less than nexus 7), 2 cortex a9 with 0 engineering by HP to make them better (against the quad on the nexus 7) and since they are on the same foot (bad phone applications, low quality fragmented ecosystem), Screen Vs screen matters, and HP takes a beating.

What am I missing? 30 dollars makes up for it?

I guess it doesn't.

post #15 of 43

does anyone see any similarities, this is why lawsuits happen ... 

post #16 of 43

Wonder what Microsoft thinks about this.  Personally I think they need to worry about Google more than Apple does.  Cheap Android tablets from PC OEM's can't be good for Windows 8.

post #17 of 43

There not bad looking...the red one looks nice. They remind me of another tablet though. Hmmm1wink.gif

Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusMaximus View Post

does anyone see any similarities, this is why lawsuits happen ... 

It really did remind me of the iPad; chrome logo in center, text bottom center, camera same location, lock button same location, volume... 

Reminds me of how similar all the smartphones where before the iPhone.

post #19 of 43

Another one to toss onto the pile. 

post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Is it? I think it isn't. HP has 0 buying power, so they get 0 advantages over Apple and other OEMs, in fact they get penalized.

What do they offer, here? Vanilla android (good on the surface, but 0 $ invest on apps or ecosystem and HP needs a differentiator to be seen as a viable android alternative = fail), low medium meh build quality (less than nexus 7), 2 cortex a9 with 0 engineering by HP to make them better (against the quad on the nexus 7) and since they are on the same foot (bad phone applications, low quality fragmented ecosystem), Screen Vs screen matters, and HP takes a beating.

I guess it doesn't.

Your reasoning is sound but you're missing that I said the price to the HW is competitive. I made no comment about anything else. If I were to guess I would say this will fail and that people will much prefer to buy a Kindle Fire, Nexus or Samsung tablet, even if costs a little more.

post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If I were to guess I would say this will fail and that people will much prefer to buy a Kindle Fire, Nexus or Samsung tablet, even if costs a little more.

"We can sell a boat load of these at $99...Been there, done that." said Alberto Torres, senior vice president, Mobility Global Business Unit, HP.

post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

HP almost had to release a tablet. There is plenty of evidence that tablets will play an increasing role in computing - particularly corporate computing.

Don't count HP out. They have a very strong position in the Enterprise - and have preferred supplier agreements with many customers. And the price is quite attractive. I could picture them having some success with this if the product is any good (it is hard to tell simply from looking at the specs). Time will tell.

All of that was true when they released the webOS-powered TouchPad. At least back then they owned their own OS, and could have done some really neat things with vertical integration. Now, they're playing the commodity Android tablet hardware game along with all the other not-Apples out there.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 43
A mini-pad is just HP's first step on a very difficult path. Here's it is step by step:

1. Release Android-based mini-pad at a low price ($169).
2. Attempt to differentiate it from all other generic Android mini-pads.
3. Spend millions on advertising.
4. Cross fingers and hope it sells.

And then we come to a fork in the road.

5a. If sales are good, HP can consider creating a larger model to go head-to-head with the 9.7" iPad, or
5b. If sales are poor, they'll be forced to lower the Slate 7's price to $99 to clear out unsold inventory. As they did with Touch Pad.

HP will cross that bridge when they get to it. They're still barely at step 1 above. But in a perfect world in some science fiction-like alternate-timeline universe, this is what HP would have been able to do. Two years ago, starting the day they bought Palm, they could have:

1. Built a robust HP-branded WebOS app / content / services infrastructure.
2. Refined webOS for future HP phones and HP pad computers.
3. Repeated #1 and #2 until the infrastructure and webOS were at least beta quality.
4. Started work on an iPhone-like handset (but not a direct iPhone copy.)
5. Released the handset when it was ready and could leverage the infrastructure.
6. Continued work on webOS for pad computers.
7. Released the HP pad computer when it was ready and could leverage the infrastructure.
8. Spent millions on advertising.
9. Crossed fingers and hoped their hardware apps content services sold well.

And, of course, if HP had started all that in April 2010, when they acquired Palm, they'd realistically still be at step #4 right now. Steps #1 and #2 are the hardest, take the longest, and must be complete before you can release any hardware that will sell. Yes, I know Apple had no app ecosystem when the first iPhone was launched, but they have one now, and that's what HP is now facing. And yes, I know that the Android ecosystem is improving every day, but in 2010 it was quite a mess (and arguably still is, in many ways.)

The infrastructure is the most expensive, complex, and time-consuming thing a tech player like HP needs to create in the post-PC world. And HP is now relying 100% on another company's infrastructure (Google's.) Therefore HP doesn't control their own destiny in the post-PC era. They're just another me-too Android cloner. Trying to compete on price instead of quality. Mid-pack in the race to the bottom.

Come to think of it, HP never controlled their destiny in the legacy PC era either, beholden to Microsoft for all those years. So maybe HP thinks that just being a hardware OEM is enough. They might think that just a small trickle of cash from Slate 7 sales will be enough to carry them through the post-PC era, however long that will be. Knowing full well that Google has dropped $12.5 billion on Motorola and will be fighting tooth and nail to increase their slices of both the smartphone handset and pad computer pies. (Albeit extremely narrow slices: see "other.") Good luck with that, HP.

(Oh, and HP tried a similar HP-hardware + partner-ecosystem trick a few years ago. Remember when Carly Fiorina did a deal with Apple to sell HP-branded iPods? And how well did that go?)
Edited by SockRolid - 2/25/13 at 11:34am

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #24 of 43
Quote:

I guess it doesn't.

How do they have 0 buying power? Last I checked they still sell a decent amount of PCs/laptops, somebody's buying and somebody's manufacturing them.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

"We can sell a boat load of these at $99...Been there, done that." said Alberto Torres, senior vice president, Mobility Global Business Unit, HP

I guess he forgot to mention there's a difference between selling in a fire sale and trying to make a sustainable business out of it.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:

"We can sell a boat load of these at $99...Been there, done that." said Alberto Torres, senior vice president, Mobility Global Business Unit, HP

I guess he forgot to mention there's a difference between selling in a fire sale and trying to make a sustainable business out of it.

He didn't really say that. I just made that up but I forgot the "/s" at the end.

post #27 of 43
Quote:

He didn't really say that. I just made that up but I forgot the "/s" at the end.

D'oh! on me.
post #28 of 43
Quote:

"We can sell a boat load of these at $99...Been there, done that." said Alberto Torres, senior vice president, Mobility Global Business Unit, HP

Ah, the ol HP TouchPad with WebOS. What a mess. I think the reason for that was because they committed to enough components that it was less costly to build and sell at $99 than to 1) back of the component deals, and/or 2) continue to store used components, possibly not in their facility.

post #29 of 43
Welcome to Dell ... hell
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro2ma View Post

It really did remind me of the iPad; chrome logo in center, text bottom center, camera same location, lock button same location, volume... 

Reminds me of how similar all the smartphones where before the iPhone.

it's as if they want to be sued by apple so they get fandroid's simpathy while looking as the good guy against big bad apple (and enjoying the free ads).

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How do they have 0 buying power? Last I checked they still sell a decent amount of PCs/laptops, somebody's buying and somebody's manufacturing them.

Compared to Apple and Samsung or even Asus/Lg/lenovo?

HP has nothing on phones, android, flash memory, small screens, etc. Their computers are low quality and poor build imitations of superior models, expecially their "envy" line (oh.. the irony) that sells 1 computer each decade.

post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Indeed.  HP is the world's third largest consumer of semiconductors, after Samsung and Apple.  

For 2012:

$23.9 billion Samsung

$21.4 billion Apple

$14.0 billion HP

post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Indeed.  HP is the world's third largest consumer of semiconductors, after Samsung and Apple.  

For 2012:

$23.9 billion Samsung

$21.4 billion Apple

$14.0 billion HP

I might as well talk to a door.

What if i told you Apple could easily buy 3x more semiconductors even when spending only 2x more than HP? Can you figure out why?

Not only that, that does not invalidate what i said on my previous post. 

post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:

Ha!  Reminds me of growing up in Pasadena in the 1950-1960s...   There was this Jewelry store, downtown, that had a "going out of business" sale that lasted years...

It became such a joke, that they even started advertising is as "our fourth annual going out of business sale".

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #35 of 43
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

What a colossal waste of time and resources! It will be another me too tablet in a sea of me to android tablets that no one will buy. Seriously if anyone wants an android tablet there going to buy a Galaxy or an Asus. LOL.
post #36 of 43

So Yahoo finance has a story up a out how this is a threat to the iPad.  Hmm...why wouldn't this be a threat to Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire?  Seems to me bottom feeders will compete most with other bottom feeders.  Also I think this hurts Microsoft and Windows 8 as much as Apple.  How does Microsoft get any tablet traction when their PC OEM partners are releasing cheap Android tablets?  These cheap tablets are just confirming that tablets are more for consumption than creation.  I don't see how that is good for Surface RT or Pro.

post #37 of 43
I thought WebOS was beautiful. It's a shame that Hp didn't know what to do with it.
post #38 of 43
Quote:

Compared to Apple and Samsung or even Asus/Lg/lenovo?

HP has nothing on phones, android, flash memory, small screens, etc. Their computers are low quality and poor build imitations of superior models, expecially their "envy" line (oh.. the irony) that sells 1 computer each decade.

And neither did Apple. So we all know that it can be done.
post #39 of 43
"Slate" is the word that Ballmer used to use. It's a cold, flat, slab of a word, grey and hard. Why don't they know this? I wish them well, but using this tainted word is a bad start.

Compare to "pad," which is warm, soft and (sorry) fuzzy.
post #40 of 43

Most everyone said it, here we go the race to the bottom is in full swing, it killed the PC market place and gave us nothing but crap that did not last longer then a few years.

The company set prices and then try and figure how to make a profit, in the mean time the consumer get nothing but junk and anyone who has something of value gets drag down in the mud with the rest of the pigs who do not know they stink.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP announces $169 Android-based Slate 7 tablet