or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Domestic Mac sales grow 31% as Apple catches up with iMac demand

Domestic Mac sales grow 31% as Apple catches up with iMac demand

post #1 of 42
The latest data from the NPD Group shows U.S. Mac sales in the month of January were up 31 percent year over year, suggesting Apple began to catch up with demand for its new all-in-one iMac.

NPD

Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray believes domestic Mac sales saw such a significant spike in January because Apple likely satisfied some of the overwhelming demand the company had seen for its redesigned iMac in the December quarter.

Last quarter, Mac sales were off 17 percent ? a loss that Apple attributed mostly to a lack of availability of the new iMac. Apple sold a total of 4.1 million Macs in the December quarter of 2012, down from 4.9 million a year prior.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook noted that iMac sales were down 700,000 units year over year in the December quarter, a reduction that would account for most of the 800,000 fewer Macs Apple sold in the quarter.

The new iMac was plagued with production issues when the desktop went on sale in December. It's been reported that those issues came from a unique screen lamination process Apple has employed in its new design, allowing the desktop to sport a much thinner profile than its predecessor.

iMac

While the NPD data is a sign that Apple began to catch up with iMac demand in January, the sales data represents only domestic PC sales and does not account for the overseas portion of Apple's increasingly international Mac business.

As such, Munster estimates that total Mac sales for the current March quarter will end up down 5 percent year over year, amounting to 3.8 million units. The analyst did caution that it's "still early," and the picture could change as more data comes in.

The latest NPD data also revealed that iPod sales were up 3 percent year over year domestically in the month of January. Munster's current projections call for total iPod sales in the March quarter to be down 17 percent. He cautioned that even if iPod sales did surprise to the upside in the quarter,it would mean less than 1 percent upside to Apple's overall numbers.
post #2 of 42

"Overwhelming demand"?    1confused.gif

Didn't the towering intellects ensconced in the offices of their boutique financial services organizations point fingers at the high price tags? The unwillingness of today's consumer to shell out for a Mac? The lack of, whats that word . . . Innovation?

And so on. 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/mac-sales-plummet-as-apple-gives-up-on-innovating/

post #3 of 42
And meanwhile how are PC sales doing? .... Still signs of the PC era being over? 1smoking.gif

(PC to me = Wintel Boxes for those that feel a Mac is a PC).
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #4 of 42

But I thought no one wanted iMacs because they don't have optical drives ans desktop machines aren't supposed to be thinner and lighter?

post #5 of 42

Yep. Hopefully this wasn't a surprise to anyone paying attention. 

Oh look, another site to ignore completely. lol.gif

post #6 of 42
But Apple's on-line stores are still showing 2-3 week delays in shipping on the 21.5" and 3-4 weeks delays on the 27", even with the 31% YOY growth in Jan. In Europe it's 3-4 and 4-6 week delays respectively. Seems like APPL still can't catch up with demand, even with the production gains reflected in the 31% YOY growth in Jan?
post #7 of 42
The new iMac is simply adorable!
post #8 of 42

After 4 months of zero availability sales should be robust.  Even if the number is accurate you can't deduce how well the machine has been accepted.   The analyst should get back to us 3 months from now when all that pent up demand is gone.  

post #9 of 42
Cool. So now AAPL can fall some more.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chala10 View Post

But Apple's on-line stores are still showing 2-3 week delays in shipping on the 21.5" and 3-4 weeks delays on the 27", even with the 31% YOY growth in Jan. In Europe it's 3-4 and 4-6 week delays respectively. Seems like APPL still can't catch up with demand, even with the production gains reflected in the 31% YOY growth in Jan?

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a significant backlog when it's time to update the iMacs to Haswell…
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You had to mention it! 

It's entirely your fault now! 1wink.gif

post #12 of 42
Quote:

It had better not, because I just picked up a few more at 3:59 PM today. lol.gif

post #13 of 42
Quote:

Shut up! 1wink.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But I thought no one wanted iMacs because they don't have optical drives ans desktop machines aren't supposed to be thinner and lighter?

Some people waited so long for an update, they would swallow anything and did.

I was waiting for the update with money in hand but shied away when I saw what they had done.

I understand that not everyone needs a DVD drive. Personally I do.

No one needed the iMac to be thinner.

I'm now torn between picking up the previous 27", discounted with all the bells and whistles or waiting to see what the next iMac update will bring to see if it will make it worth getting despite the form over function design.

post #15 of 42
I don't mind the missing optical drive. I do mind that these new iMacs do not have the ability for users to upgrade RAM ( please correct me if I'm wrong on this,) I thought I would get a new 27" IMac this year, but, maybe not, now.
post #16 of 42

Having this new 27" iMac is my tech dream right know...

I saw the 21 model in person... It's so fast and beautiful, it's decoration and art by itself, there's nothing like that. I bet the 27" makes people having orgasms.

post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

I don't mind the missing optical drive. I do mind that these new iMacs do not have the ability for users to upgrade RAM ( please correct me if I'm wrong on this,) I thought I would get a new 27" IMac this year, but, maybe not, now.

the 27 does.

They are much lighter, have better screens, are much faster, have high end graphics, are beautiful... The only sexy desktop.

post #18 of 42
Quote:

You can upgrade the memory on the 27" models. The 21" iMac's aren't upgradeable. 

post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Agreed! It is one beautiful machine! :)

post #20 of 42
I do mind that these new iMacs do not have the ability for users to upgrade RAM ( please correct me if I'm wrong on this,)…

Both do. 21.5" is hard (but not soldered, so physically possible), 27" is the same as any previous model.

post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I have one.  Great machine.  What I would have wanted if it was available. is a wider version of the MacMini, with the guts of the top end iMac in something that i could get for less than $2000, and then get an updated thinner Thunderbolt display when they get released.  But that's just me.

post #22 of 42
Ordered my 27" on November 30th (first day of ordering) and I'm still waiting....months and months later....
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

"Overwhelming demand"?    1confused.gif

Didn't the towering intellects ensconced in the offices of their boutique financial services organizations point fingers at the high price tags? The unwillingness of today's consumer to shell out for a Mac? The lack of, whats that word . . . Innovation?

And so on. 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/mac-sales-plummet-as-apple-gives-up-on-innovating/

Sounds like typical troll arguments: "Innovation died with Steve, Apple is doomed, it's like the 1980s all over again."

All because Apple failed to meet their regularly scheduled innovation which nobody not even Google saw coming and now everyone especially Google is going to feverishly copy.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

They are much lighter

That's always handy for...... Errrr.......nope.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Having this new 27" iMac is my tech dream right know...

I saw the 21 model in person... It's so fast and beautiful, it's decoration and art by itself, there's nothing like that. I bet the 27" makes people having orgasms.

But its only a rectangle, you can't patten a rectangle !

Its like the Monty Python Anne Elk Dinosaur theory, thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle and then very thin at the other end.

So this is a prompt for all the Android lovers to jump on board and start bashing.

I actually question why they need eye sight, because beauty is unknown to them, I bet they all have ugly partners.

And to pre-empt your dumb question, yes, my wife is gorgeous.

post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

It's a Zen thing, you see. If you're into those damn bells and stupid whistles (how I loathe that cliché), you may never get it.

You could approach it from Bucky Fuller's point of view, in Spaceship Earth, I think. Nothing should use more material than necessary, even things like houses that sit on the ground. Or from the Jobs&Ive point of view: deep simplicity.

But even Neil Hughes somewhat misfires here when he says that the new lamination was so much about making the computer thinner. It's more about putting the image right on the glass, and reducing reflection by eliminating a layer of glass. It also makes it thinner, as an additional benefit.

It's all about the screen, the image. Make the machine disappear. The whole world needed the iMac to be thinner.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Some people waited so long for an update, they would swallow anything and did.
I was waiting for the update with money in hand but shied away when I saw what they had done.

I understand that not everyone needs a DVD drive. Personally I do.

I'm now torn between picking up the previous 27", discounted with all the bells and whistles or waiting to see what the next iMac update will bring to see if it will make it worth getting despite the form over function design.

Or buy an external drive or cannibalize your old Mac.

Me I can't decide between the 21 and 27.
post #28 of 42

To me this also shows that Mac buyers are not typical consumers, they are customers.  They are willing to wait for something good.  Typical consumers just want to buy, buy, buy with little thought applied to the purchase decision.  Pundits, bloggers and analysts don't get this.  They insist on lumping Apple customers in with all the rabid consumers.  I can't wait to see what happens if and when Apple actually delivers a new pro machine to replace the Mac Pro.  People have been waiting for that update a long, long time.  Some have left Apple, but many have not.

post #29 of 42

Sadly Apple lost me as an iMac customer. i don't have the room for a 27" computer monitor. I don't want it, and I don't need it. And by choosing to remove the discrete graphics card and the RAM upgrades from the 21" iMac, it has lead me to just choose not to invest in another. I built a gaming PC with Win 8 and will be getting the lower-profit Mac Mini to match it. Overall, I'll be decreasing my Apple investment. I feel bad-  I like the iMac. I never had a single hiccup with it. I also liked spending 600$ on a full PC with monitor and KVM where I can get 60fps in Warcraft in Ultra for under 2000 dollars. 

post #30 of 42

Took me 2 months to get my 27" but it was worth the wait, I don't miss the DVD. It's fast, quite and runs cooler than my G5 tower.

I got mine with i7, Fusion and the top video, added 32Gb of 3rd party RAM so it should be good for up to 5 years. I also got AppleCare.

If I ever need DVD I can share the one on my G5 or buy a USB one later but so far it's only been used to install 2 bits of software, which I could have got online. Those complaining about the lack of DVD or Apple never putting in BluRay grow up, there are loads of options if you really need one.

post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

Overall, I'll be decreasing my Apple investment. I feel bad-  I like the iMac.

Why don't you buy a Mac Pro? And if you're in Europe, many APRs still sell them.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by phippster View Post

Ordered my 27" on November 30th (first day of ordering) and I'm still waiting....months and months later....

I'm curious about this. What's special about yours? I haven't heard of anyone having to wait that long. What do they tell you when you call?

If it were me, I'd find it somewhere else and then cancel the original order.
Quote:

Apparently, not that many people ever upgrade the RAM in their computers - and I think it's going to become even less common in the future. Just like CPU speeds, the computer is no longer the constraint for most people and there's not that much driving force for continual upgrades. Just buy plenty of RAM when you buy the computer - it's not that expensive - and you should be OK indefinitely. Or buy the 27".

It doesn't seem to have hurt MBA sales at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156164/domestic-mac-sales-grow-31-as-apple-catches-up-with-imac-demand#post_2283764"]It had better not, because I just picked up a few more at 3:59 PM today. lol.gif

That means it's your fault if AAPL falls, not mine.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It's a Zen thing, you see. If you're into those damn bells and stupid whistles (how I loathe that cliché), you may never get it.

You could approach it from Bucky Fuller's point of view, in Spaceship Earth, I think. Nothing should use more material than necessary, even things like houses that sit on the ground. Or from the Jobs&Ive point of view: deep simplicity.

But even Neil Hughes somewhat misfires here when he says that the new lamination was so much about making the computer thinner. It's more about putting the image right on the glass, and reducing reflection by eliminating a layer of glass. It also makes it thinner, as an additional benefit.

It's all about the screen, the image. Make the machine disappear. The whole world needed the iMac to be thinner.

I agree with everything you said. I have an orig. white intel iMac 20". A few months ago my GF brought her new iMac in the box home from work for me to set up for her, email, pages, etc. When I reached into the box to pull it out, I was amazed at how light it was compared to mine. And her's was a couple of iterations before this latest iMac. The first thing I thought of is how much jet fuel is being saved by shipping lighter iMac's. And less materials in it's construction-All good! :) And, oh yeah, that "Zen" thing, too. :)

post #34 of 42

imo the mac sales should be better in 2013 Q1 than in  2012 Q1. It will be a strong quarter for the imac, on the laptop side, the refreshes are getting closer, but  we did had some late summer updates, so the laptop side should be better than last year.

Whats blurring the lines here is the PC regression, we will have to compare Apple numbers to the rest of the market.

post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chala10 View Post

That just tells you that demand is increasing along with their ability to fulfill orders.

post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo the mac sales should be better in 2013 Q1 than in 2012 Q1. It will be a strong quarter for the imac, on the laptop side, the refreshes are getting closer, but  we did had some late summer updates, so the laptop side should be better than last year.

Apple's Q1 2013 ended in January so it'll be Q2 2013 they'll report next, which will be near the end of April.

I'd like to see them either drop the prices back down on the iMacs or bring the 27" down. I wonder if they'd be able to make a 27" iMac for $1299. I'm pretty sure they can manage $1499 but they might have to go with slightly lower margins to hit $1299.
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Apple's Q1 2013 ended in January so it'll be Q2 2013 they'll report next, which will be near the end of April.

Depends, I think most people refer fiscal Q1 or Q2  by just "Q1" or "Q2" while calender Q1 is reference like Q1 2013. Some people use fiscal quaters while others use calenders quarters.  I was trying to use calender quarters, which I think is reffered as Q1 2013.  But we are in the current fiscal Q2 indeed.

They may be able to lower the 27" imacs price later on, unless they move to retina, then no.  I think those laminated 27" IPS screens are very expensive, so not doable for now. I own the high end 27" with the i7, GTX 680 and fusion drive, expensive but a very very nice beast, i love it.

btw I added 100 shares when the stock was trading at 438 this morning.

Edited by herbapou - 2/26/13 at 11:14am
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wonder if they'd be able to make a 27" iMac for $1299. I'm pretty sure they can manage $1499 but they might have to go with slightly lower margins to hit $1299.

But the iMac without the Mac part is already $999 - will a $1299 iMac still be feasible without lowering the price of the TB display as well?
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou 
They may be able to lower the 27" imacs price later on, unless they move to retina, then no.

What they could do is split it so that the Retina ones are the upper two 27" models with faster GPUs and the lower 27" ones are the current resolution. That still gives them something to push people to the more expensive ones. Retina resolution wouldn't need to be all that high either. 50% higher would be more than enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie 
But the iMac without the Mac part is already $999 - will a $1299 iMac still be feasible without lowering the price of the TB display as well?

I think they'd lower the price of the TB display if the entry 27" iMac was lowered. HP sells the same panel at $700 and Dell has a similar one for $650. I'd like to see them price it at $799 but $899 is a start.

It would be difficult to hit $1299 with the 27" iMac without affecting the margins but it would be a good incentive for switchers. Right now PC bundles tend to come with the same or higher size displays as the 21.5" iMac for half the price. They can ship with 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM given that it has accessible slots and a Haswell i5+IGP should perform just fine.
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why don't you buy a Mac Pro? And if you're in Europe, many APRs still sell them.

Well, I like the Mac Pro, but it starts at 2000 dollars. My gaming PC with a nVidia GTX 660, 24" monitor (a tiny bezel one so it would fit in my space- tight but gorgeous with HDMI), an HDMI KVM and a Mac Mini for my mac things the total is 1600. And remember I gotta get a monitor for that Mac Pro, so I wasn't escaping for under 2200. That's a lot of money difference. Also ,the graphics card choices for the Mac are, well, limited. If I was committed to the Mac, had professional things I could only do on it, I would be buying it. But the fact is the PC gives me a lot more options for the things I want at a much lower cost. Trust me, it does not please me one bit - this machine is loud, clunky and graceless. Windows 8 feels like a modern version of the old System 7 At Ease extension. But it's a powerhouse compared to even that 2000$ Mac Pro in the realm of gaming, which is what I wanted to do. All I need to do to decide if I made a good choice is boot up WoW and look into the max draw distance on Ultra.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Domestic Mac sales grow 31% as Apple catches up with iMac demand