or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launch

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
Less than a week after it became available for download, iOS 6.1.2 is already the most popular version of iOS tracked by analytics firm Chitika.

Chitika


The data comes from tens of millions of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch mobile ad impressions from the Chitika Ad Network. The data was collected from the U.S. and Canada between Feb. 19 and Feb. 24.

Just five days after iOS 6.1.2 was released to the public, 34.9 percent of iOS Web traffic tracked was generated by users of the latest iOS version. Domestically, iOS 6.1.2 has already surpassed iOS 6.1, making it the most popular version of the mobile operating system.

As iOS 6.1.2 grew after its debut, it corresponded almost directly to a drop in traffic from devices running iOS 6.1. The figures suggest that most users opt to stay up to date with the latest version of iOS on their device.

In fact, 48 hours after it launched, iOS 6.1.2 adoption was nearly equal that of iOS 6.0 in the same timeframe. Chitika noted that this is a "significant achievement," considering iOS 6.0 was a major release with new features, while iOS 6.1.2 was centered on bug fixes.

Chitika


iOS 6.1.2 launched publicly last Tuesday. It addresses an Exchange calendar bug that could result in increased network activity and reduced battery life.

Apple is already at work on pushing out iOS 6.1.3, another incremental update that promises to fix a lockscreen bug, and also to improve the performance of its Maps application in Japan.
post #2 of 71
Must be a slow day for Apple news.
post #3 of 71
Funny. I updated my 5 and my iPad 3, but left both kids iPod touches and wife's 4S on 6.1/6.1.1 knowing we must be close to 6.1.3
post #4 of 71
Is that considered fragmentation?
post #5 of 71
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post
Is that considered fragmentation?

 

A better question would be "Is this considered trolling?"…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 71

And 6.1.3 beta 2 breaks the envasion jailbreak....

post #7 of 71

Given that modern iOS devices can self-update through the phone now (plus Jailbreaking works), there is little reason not to update to the latest revision in my opinion.

post #8 of 71
TS you're the expert on trolling issues. So you tell me.

OTH , with 8 "iOS" in the chart, is it considered fragmented OS?
post #9 of 71

And this is just a part of the reason as to why all informed and smart people should buy Apple devices. 

 

Just take a look at the miserable, cheap people who end up with Android crap, and see how their update situation is looking. They're getting screwed left & right, and from all possible directions. Isn't it time for a new Android version to be released by the way? I mean, how many people are actually on the latest version? 7 ?

post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And 6.1.3 beta 2 breaks the envasion jailbreak....

Good.

post #11 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A better question would be "Is this considered trolling?"…

Why not just ban people who are clearly trolling?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

TS you're the expert on trolling issues. So you tell me.

OTH , with 8 "iOS" in the chart, is it considered fragmented OS?

What are you talking about? you do realize that the naming scheme between iOS and android is totally different, especially when the latest APIs are concerned. right?

 

Apple has 90% of users on the latest OS (iOS 6).

Android can't take advantage of jelly bean 4.1 API because less than 20% of users have it.

In fact, in order to not to break 2.3 compability, everything is stuck there, a 3 year old lag-king mobile OS.

post #13 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

OTH , with 8 "iOS" in the chart, is it considered fragmented OS?

 

No it can not. And you don't get any explanation either if you don't know why it isn't.

post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Good.

Why? Just because you don't jailbreak doesn't mean other people don't find it necessary. Most jailbreakers don't pirate iOS apps (there's far more to it than that), so I don't see why this is good other than plugging a security hole, something jailbroken devices can do anyway through Cydia.

post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Why? Just because you don't jailbreak doesn't mean other people don't find it necessary. Most jailbreakers don't pirate iOS apps (there's far more to it than that), so I don't see why this is good other than plugging a security hole, something jailbroken devices can do anyway through Cydia.

People always say that jailbreakers don't pirate, and I'm certainly not claiming that all of them do, but I do believe that enough of them do, so that is why I don't really care about them.

post #16 of 71
I like the Apple approach: be a solution not a problem. So we get updates that solve discovered issues. Good thing, IMHO. NOTHING so complex is perfect out of the box.

But the numbering thing here and with Brazil makes me think the MacBook Pro approach is far superior and should be followed: dump the sequential numbering already and just go for "latest' or something. Keep the whiners a bay at least somewhat. (They can go back to pining for that mini-USB port, always a winner in my book).
post #17 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And 6.1.3 beta 2 breaks the envasion jailbreak....

 

Yes! It took the dev teams months to come up with an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 using five different security flaws. As Apple patches those flaws jailbreaking becomes more and more difficult. We just may have seen the last jailbreak. If the jailbreakers do us a favor and switch to the so-called 'open' platform maybe we won't have to listen to them crow like cocks in the morning about it.

post #18 of 71

Thank God! Because I was really, really worried that 6.1.2 wouldn't be the most popular version. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what 6.1.3 does, maybe bring Apple's stock up over $1000?

post #19 of 71

You're uninformed. I have paid for a half dozen apps through Cydia and use another 5 or 6 free ones, and frankly am not aware of how someone gets "free" apps illegally. All I know is that a jailbroken iPhone eliminates the perpetually frustrating and easily solvable issues that Apple refuses to fix or doesn't care to fix. If they were smart they would incorporate jailbreak apps into their OS as fast as they can vet them. SBSettings alone is worth jailbreaking for and it's an embarrassment that Apple doesn't have a similar feature.
 

post #20 of 71
I know of 7 to 8 million devices that probably
Won't update to 6.1.3.
post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

I know of 7 to 8 million devices that probably
Won't update to 6.1.3.

500 million will.

 

And you can count on a large slice of that 8 million pie too.

post #22 of 71
Looks like I'm not alone in sticking with 6.0.1.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156165/ios-6-1-2-already-most-popular-version-of-apples-ios-less-than-1-week-after-launch#post_2283756"]Good.

Speak for yourself. I have several apps Apple pulled from the App Store . For instance, the VLC app. I also have blue tooth and wi-fi toggle switches making it much easier to turn those off and on. I also have a better notification system and Siri optimizations. I own the device and don't need Apple policing its utility.
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yes! It took the dev teams months to come up with an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 using five different security flaws. As Apple patches those flaws jailbreaking becomes more and more difficult. We just may have seen the last jailbreak. If the jailbreakers do us a favor and switch to the so-called 'open' platform maybe we won't have to listen to them crow like cocks in the morning about it.

I think the jailbreaker devs do Apple a favor in two ways. First of all they find security flaws and exploit them in an innocuous way, bringing them to Apple's attention. Secondly, they increase the market for Apple hardware. So I don't think Apple needs to be in a hurry to get rid of them.
post #25 of 71
Less than a week--not bad, for an update that is minor and thus had no anticipation nor publicity events to announce it.

For comparison, I wonder--how long did it take the very most recent point update of Android to be the most popular version in use among all current Android users?

"Fragmentation" would be people running incompatible different hardware/software versions: versions that developers need to plan for. (They don't need to plan or update for 6.1.2 vs. 6.1.1 for instance, but they do need to plan for the difference between an iPhone and an iPad, and sometimes, for the difference between one iPad and another.)

All platforms are fragmented to at least some extent. The issue is--to what degree? Android is a nightmare of fragmentation compared to iOS.
post #26 of 71
With the wireless updates function the phone kindly asks you to update it, it was extra quick this time so why would you not update? If it is pre installed (so everywhere, less wait time, it is already on memory) so all you need is to restart with a little more time to restart.
post #27 of 71
Although I do not encourage jailbreaking, I would like Apple to response in a manner that virtually eliminates anyone's need for jailbreaking.


Gatekeeper for iOS
Option to configure the default app for certain functions (Calendar, Contacts, Mail, Facebook, Twitter, Maps)

AirDrop for iOS
Dashboard for iOS (widgets, system control shortcuts)
Finder ("file management")
Preview (instead of iBooks)

Keychain Access

Activity Monitor for iOS
Automator for iOS
Disk Utility for iOS
Network Utility for iOS
Terminal for iOS


I know many of these functions are already available via apps but many people seem to believe they aren't.
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Less than a week--not bad, for an update that is minor and thus had no anticipation nor publicity events to announce it.

For comparison, I wonder--how long did it take the very most recent point update of Android to be the most popular version in use among all current Android users?
.

According to Google's own numbers, more than 50% of Android users are still on version 2.3.x (Gingerbread) or lower. Those are all more than two years old. Gingerbread is still the most popular release by far.

The most recent point release was Jellybean 4.2, which came out almost 5 months ago. It's currently on about 1% of Android devices.
Edited by NormM - 2/25/13 at 2:52pm
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

OTH , with 8 "iOS" in the chart, is it considered fragmented OS?

No. The point releases are not "fragmentation." Only the major releases count, because API features ship with major OS releases. So, 98% of iOS users are on 5.x and 6.x. With the majority of those running iOS 6. Developers can safely target iOS 5 and be reasonably sure they aren't leaving their customers behind.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #30 of 71
Its because people are praying the update will enable them to
change the default alarm time from 9am on the Calendar App.

Btw, nice forum software. Very clean looking and easy to use.
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

Its because people are praying the update will enable them to
change the default alarm time from 9am on the Calendar App.

Btw, nice forum software. Very clean looking and easy to use.

How clever. You cerated an account just to spread misleading statements..
post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post

According to Google's own numbers, more than 50% of Android users are still on version 2.3.x (Gingerbread) or lower. Those are all more than two years old. Gingerbread is still the most popular release by far.

The most recent point release was Jellybean 4.2, which came out almost 5 months ago. It's currently on about 1% of Android devices.

It's also not as cut and dry with Android about what APIs the different versions support. With iOS 6.x suport the same APIs, 5.x the same APIs. I believe Gingerbread versions 2.3 to 2.3.2 support the same APIs, but below that Eclair, versions 2.0 to 2.1, and Froyo, version 2.2 are different for developers, just as Gingerbread above 2.3.2, as versions 2.3.3 to 2.3.7 is also different. I'm not sure as to what extent because I don't have access to the computer on the planet Magrathea to crunch the numbers.


edit: Here you go. It's worse than I thought: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly_Bean_(operating_system)#Version_history_by_API_level
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/25/13 at 4:23pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


Speak for yourself. I have several apps Apple pulled from the App Store . For instance, the VLC app.

Why does that matter? I have downloaded the VLC app, and it's also in my iTunes Media folder, which gets TimeMachined. And when I buy a new device it automatically syncs onto it.

Failing to see the problem, other than being too late to the party if someone tips you on an app and its nowhere to be found on the App Store...
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why not just ban people who are clearly trolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Thank God! Because I was really, really worried that 6.1.2 wouldn't be the most popular version. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what 6.1.3 does, maybe bring Apple's stock up over $1000?
Lol
post #35 of 71
I look forward to the updates as long as it doesn't cause the device to be slow as snails. ; )
post #36 of 71

Are they just "at work on it," or are they "at work on pushing it out?"

Why not just say they are "crafting" iOS 6.1.3?

There's just no reason to go so . . .  scatological.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is already at work on pushing out iOS 6.1.3, . . . 
post #37 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


No. The point releases are not "fragmentation." Only the major releases count, because API features ship with major OS releases. So, 98% of iOS users are on 5.x and 6.x. With the majority of those running iOS 6. Developers can safely target iOS 5 and be reasonably sure they aren't leaving their customers behind.


I don't know this is fragmentation but there are some apps that are OS4.3 and above so if you have an older ipod touch that cannot go past 4.2, you need to think about it before updating.

post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I'm on the latest version of android (4.2.2); it was released about 2 weeks ago. It took 3 days for it to show up on my phone.

And what phone is that? Unless it's all Android phones built in the last 2 years it's not exactly a good thing for the Android market.
Quote:
My sister, on the other hand is still on iOS 5, and refuses to update because of how silly bad apple maps is.

How bad is Apple Maps in your area? It sounds like you two are just piling on with the fear-driven media without actually considering how it works.

I can't say I didn't jump the gun when it first appeared and I found it not taking me to the right destination. Turns out TomTom took me to the same wrong destination, and Google Maps in Safari wanted me to go to the wrong city entirely despite putting in the correct city and state. Turns out the business had 1) given a now defunct location as they had moved, and 2) messed it up the old, wrong location, but Apple Maps and TomTom were on the money had it still existed.

See, that's anecdotal so I don't expect that to be the same for every experience one has but the point is I feel victim momentarily to the fear-mongering until I decided to think more rationally.
Quote:
Can't say I blame her; when the icon to your map app shows an impossible turn, its not very confidence inspiring.

For starters, this is ridiculous. It's a fucking icon so why the hell would you expect it to be so detailed as to show an on ramp? Secondly, the Maps app in iOS 5 has an icon that shows I-280 going over De Anza Blvd… and yet inspires confidence in your sister? I find that to be completely ridiculous on every level. If you had stated something like "She trusts Google Maps and has heard bad things so she doesn't want to risk it since Apple doesn't make downgrading easy" I'd understand your point, but based on the damn icon? Do you think Settings work by actual gears turning because it shows sprockets? 1oyvey.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post


I don't know this is fragmentation but there are some apps that are OS4.3 and above so if you have an older ipod touch that cannot go past 4.2, you need to think about it before updating.

That's obsolescing of a product and that generation 2 iPod Touch that can only go up to 4.2.1 was released in Sept 2008 with 2.1.1. It received its last update in November 2010, after it had stopped being sold to the public. You won't find many (if any) Android-based devices that have received such a wide range of updates for so long, and that's one of Apple's least impressive iOS update time lines.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #40 of 71
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
For starters, this is ridiculous. It's a fucking icon so why the hell would you expect it to be so detailed as to show an on ramp?

 

Though I agree with you, look at the original. It has a couple of pixels signifying that! 1tongue.gif


Originally Posted by majjo View Post
Lol, looks like I hit a nerve with the icon remark. Relax; no I don't judge the app on the icon, but its still funny to see an impossible turn being shown, given the reputation the app has gotten.
 

Thanks for proving you didn't even read his post. The turn is not impossible. Stop saying it is.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launch