or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'less arrogant' post-Steve Jobs, says France Telecom-Orange CEO

Apple 'less arrogant' post-Steve Jobs, says France Telecom-Orange CEO

post #1 of 31
In an interview with press on Monday, France Telecom-Orange chief executive Stephane Richard said Apple has become easier to work with since Tim Cook took over for cofounder Steve Jobs in 2011.

Orange

During the wide-ranging discussion, Richard covered the current state of European telecoms, new mobile platforms and what he calls the "wow" factor needed to compete with Samsung and Apple, reports AllThingsD.

As for Apple's compliance with partner carriers in the region, Richard said that things have changed since Jobs stepped down due to health issues in August of 2011.

?Apple has (become) more flexible, paying more attention to everyone else, probably a little less arrogant than they used to be,? he said, adding that the Cook-era Apple is "probably a little more under pressure, and it is quite nice.?

Richard also said that carriers are looking to up and coming mobile operating systems like Mozilla, Windows Phone and the last-ditch BlackBerry to challenge Android and iOS, but the market is simply not large enough to support that many platforms.

?There is probably not room for everyone,? he said. ?But all of us hope that among those initiatives, at least one will be able to emerge as a third ecosystem.?

Speaking to Microsoft's Windows Phone initiative, Richard said the software giant faces an uphill battle against iOS and Android as the corresponding hardware lacks the "wow" factor needed to usurp the two smartphone OS titans.

?The Nokia family in my opinion is nice, but there is no ?wow? effect,? Richard said. ?When you have a market with very steady players like Apple and Samsung, you need to have a ?wow? effect.?
post #2 of 31
Is something wrong when French companies deem an American company as "less arrogant?"
Edited by DESuserIGN - 2/25/13 at 3:55pm
post #3 of 31

I much prefer the arrogant Apple, if the newer Apple is "less arrogant" according to some French person.

I wish that Apple were more outspoken and controversial. 

post #4 of 31
The carriers just want access to platforms they can control so they can screw more cash from subscribers.
post #5 of 31
Yeah, I'm not sure approval by Orange is good for Apple. Bring back the arrogance and the Reality Distortion Field!
post #6 of 31

I was joking about the French thing. But I like to see carriers under pressure. I see Apple as far more of an advocate for users than the carriers, but I'd like to see that leverage working toward bringing overall carrier rates down now. A carrier seeing Apple as "less arrogant" seems like a move backward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Is something wrong when French companies deem an American company as "less arrogant?"
post #7 of 31

Hm, funny because last I checked, "Arrogant Apple" had a stock price of $700 per share. I guess nice guys truly do finish last. 

post #8 of 31
This less arrogant Apple doesn't make me feel all gooey inside. I liked SJ at the helm applying his RDF at will.

In fact, that's probably the area that will affect Apple the most. Jobs was a heavyweight and brought out the best in people. I'd rather work for Cook, but my work would be better under Jobs.
post #9 of 31

I can't even begin to imagine what Steve would have done with Einhorn ! (Einhorn probably wouldn't have bothered).

post #10 of 31

Many true points (I especially enjoy the one about Einhorn.)

But while reminiscing is fine, the fact is Steve is dead and gone and Tim is in charge now. Apple will never be the same, but the old Apple could never be the present Apple either. Hopefully Tim learned a lot from Steve and has incorporated what he with his own formidable resource of talents. Apple is now different, but I don't think it's difference diminishes it's greatness as a company.

post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I was joking about the French thing. But I like to see carriers under pressure. I see Apple as far more of an advocate for users than the carriers, but I'd like to see that leverage working toward bringing overall carrier rates down now. A carrier seeing Apple as "less arrogant" seems like a move backward.

Quote:

What, is Apple the only company allowed to make money?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #12 of 31

The French talking about less arrogant...  Now I've heard E V E R Y T H I N G.

I wonder if a more arrogant Apple equated to a higher stock price?  Sigh...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Siegel View Post

Hm, funny because last I checked, "Arrogant Apple" had a stock price of $700 per share. I guess nice guys truly do finish last. 

Uh, last I checked, that was well into Tim Cook's tenor. Why don't you check what the stock price was when SJ quit as CEO and compare the current stock with that?

post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

And who knows about arrogance if not the French? 1smile.gif

I think America has love hate relationship with French, simply because you both have similar traits :-) As for Apple being arrogant while under SJ watch, it is easy for over indulging perfume wearing froggy to give negative feedback, when someone is die and can not defend themselves. enough said

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo2222 View Post

Yeah, I'm not sure approval by Orange is good for Apple. Bring back the arrogance and the Reality Distortion Field!

Without Great Wizard of Oz, the magic is lost?
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I think America has love hate relationship with French, simply because you both have similar traits :-) As for Apple being arrogant while under SJ watch, it is easy for over indulging perfume wearing froggy to give negative feedback, when someone is die and can not defend themselves. enough said

I never thought of people from India as racist, but you might help me change my opinion there.
post #17 of 31
Quote:

Apple stock was $373 and change when SJ stepped down. Now it's $442 plus about $8 in dividends paid.
post #18 of 31

Hardcore Apple users? Not so much, judging from some of the comments posted daily here.

post #19 of 31

I've lived in France for a decade and Orange is the biggest rip-off company I know of... I loathe them as much as Google, which is a lot!

But I don't know where does French arrogance stems from... did they perhaps ask too much for Louisiana two centuries ago?  ;~)

post #20 of 31

Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs- News at 11. 

Steve Jobs didn't have a perfect personality, and Tim Cook isn't expected to emulate Steve Jobs. Yes, Apple is and will be different under Cook. The most important thing is to continue to focus on ultra high quality products, and the general philosophies that SJ instilled. All evidence points to the fact that this is still alive and well under Cook. 

post #21 of 31

I dunno. I think I preferred the arrogance. It'd be great to have Jobs turn round and tell Einhorn that he's playing the stock market wrong. I think Cook is doing a great job with operations (aside from the supply hiccups), but his biggest mistake was handing out the dividend. All this has done is attract sharks like Einhorn, who now believe they have the legal right to dip into Apple's cash store at will.

post #22 of 31
It's good that Apple is more responsive when a bug or exploit is found. While I don't expect them to leak new products, it doesn't hurt to communicate on the other issues, so you seem responsive to your customers. Having better partner relationships never hurts either

Cheers !
Cheers !
Cheers !
post #23 of 31

Tim Cook could not even begin to compete with Steve Jobs in running a company like Apple.This man has no personality at all.Jobs was the sole heart of Apple when he was alive.

post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

And who knows about arrogance if not the French? 1smile.gif

Yeah, and they're really mean to snails and frogs! :)

post #25 of 31
How funny to see this guy, former civil servant, named by Sarkozy as a gift to this handsomely paid position trying to play big wig. Just give a look at share price (EPA:FTE) during last 10 years and compare to main contender Illiad (Free(r)) (EPA:ILD) and you will ponder these mighty words...
FTE is loosing market share on a frightening pace so it sounds like a desperate way to exist making arrogant comments on real companies...
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
Apple has (become) more flexible, paying more attention to everyone else, probably a little less arrogant than they used to be, he said, adding that the Cook-era Apple is "probably a little more under pressure, and it is quite nice.

It's a pretty meaningless statement as anthropomorphisations of companies usually are. People constantly try to make out like Apple is now in a state of desperation without Steve and somehow the behaviour of every member of staff towards other people has changed because they have a new CEO when Tim has acted as CEO in the past unnoticed.

Steve Jobs said in 2005 that Apple wasn't good at partnering with other companies but that they got better at it. They clearly partnered with the phone companies for the iPhone. The increased competition will require them to be more flexible with partners but that would be required with Steve as CEO too.

It seems like no matter how good Tim is at managing the most successful company in the world, people still say he's not good enough and everybody in their comfy armchairs could take his place and do twice as good a job. Well, get out the armchairs and do it. Tim isn't in a position of privilege, he earned his place and all day long he has to deal with supply chain issues, legal issues, customers moaning about one thing or another. Imagine if every day you went into work and all you got was abuse about how you aren't as good as the last guy. It's no wonder he has to visit stores to cheer himself up.
post #27 of 31

Apple use to be a communist state with an angry dictator telling people his radical thoughts and what he wanted, that worked really well for them and us.

Apple now is just a bunch of "do nothing" leaders who who care too much about what people think. Every now and then they might go and walk around the offices and ask if anyone has thought of any good ideas for products before going back into a meeting about how to make people like them.

post #28 of 31
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
Apple use to be a communist state with an angry dictator telling people his radical thoughts and what he wanted, that worked really well for them and us.

Apple now is just a bunch of "do nothing" leaders who who care too much about what people think. Every now and then they might go and walk around the offices and ask if anyone has thought of any good ideas for products before going back into a meeting about how to make people like them.

None of this is true in any respect.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #29 of 31
""Arrogant Apple" had a stock price of $700 per share"

Huh? That was a year AFTER Steve's death.... way into Cook's tenure. (Though I personally doubt much of anything actually "Apple" was responsible for that pop.)
post #30 of 31
Quote:

Actually, it didn't.

post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

None of this is true in any respect.

Indeed. Bigger lies were never told.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'less arrogant' post-Steve Jobs, says France Telecom-Orange CEO