or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple

'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple

post #1 of 166
The former creative director at advertising firm TBWA\Chiat\Day, who came up with the name "iMac" as well as Apple's iconic "Think Different" campaign, believes Samsung's latest television advertisements have proven effective against Apple.

Ken Segall shared his opinions on his official blog, Observatory, this week, where he said that Apple is "battling where it used to crush," as discovered by Apple 2.0. While Segall said Apple has a history of being the "gold standard" in marketing, the company is no longer "untouchable when it comes to advertising."

"The fact is, it is being touched ? often and effectively ? by none other than Samsung," Segall said. "Samsung has made remarkable inroads in a very short time, for two big reasons."

First among those is the fact that Samsung has spent "a fortune" to run its advertisements, outspending rivals Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, and even Coca-Cola. But beyond its cash, Samsung's message has also been "potent," Segall believes.

"The company continues to bash away at Apple, delivering ads that are well produced, well written, and seem to be striking a nerve," he said. "In contrast to Apple, which has been sticking to its product-based ads, Samsung has been scoring points with its people-based ads ? most of which play off some growing negative perceptions about Apple."

He believes Apple is like President Barack Obama after his first debate against Republican challenger Mitt Romney in last year's U.S. election. Segall said he expects to see Apple rebound just like Obama did last year in his second debate.

Apple's advertising stumbled last year, when the company debuted a series of "Genius" ads during the Summer Olympics which showed Apple Store employees helping customers in unique situations. Critics, including Segall, panned the advertisements as not up to Apple's standards, and the company fully abandoned the campaign only weeks later.

Samsung struck earlier this year with a series of ads that aired during the Super Bowl, while Apple remained silent during the NFL's championship game. And then on Sunday during the Oscars, Apple debuted one new ad, while Samsung ran a series of commercials, including one featuring director Tim Burton.
post #2 of 166
I've got Segall's blog post open in the next tab, but even before reading it I have to say I agree that Apple's ads have been missing the target for years.
post #3 of 166
This guy can kiss my ass! As well as the person who wrote this fluff piece.
Sammy is copying Apple right down to their advertising spiel. The investors at Samsung don't give a damn anyway. They only want that bling. And Sammy is more that happy to stoop to any level to get it.
post #4 of 166
Isn't he works in an agency that was hired by Samsung?
post #5 of 166
I agree. I love Apple, but Apple's ads, while once revolutionary, have, with the minimalist styling, cuteness, and trendy soundtrack, become stale, stale, stale. They're being quite the laggard to not come up with anything new since the Genius ads flopped, and they're letting Samsung catch up with image, if not product. Resting on their laurels needs to end asap.
post #6 of 166
Drama Queen = Ken Segall.
post #7 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I don't think that's correct. While he may work for a different Samsung division, Samsung's mobile division uses '72 and sunny' as their ad agency.

Regardless, read his post carefully. He doesn't even claim that Samsung's ads are better than Apple's (or even very good). He simply says that they are 'touching' apple - and specifically mentions the fact that they're spending a fortune to get tons of air time.

Yes, if someone is willing to spend enough money on air time, they can eventually get some recognition. Hardly a revelation.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 166
Quote:

Not that I know of. Here's his blog:

http://kensegall.com/blog/

melior diabolus quem scies
post #9 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by interwebs View Post

I agree. I love Apple, but Apple's ads, while once revolutionary, have, with the minimalist styling, cuteness, and trendy soundtrack, become stale, stale, stale. They're being quite the laggard to not come up with anything new since the Genius ads flopped, and they're letting Samsung catch up with image, if not product. Resting on their laurels needs to end asap.

Nonsense.

And you failed to elaborate.

People who watch soap operas and read tabloids are the majority and are the same people who like the kind of ads Samsung and the rest of Android cartel members do.

Apple tries to offer a different experience ( its forte ), the PC cartel members are about market share, they are out there to please the majority.

If you understand this, you‘ll not bother about Apple ads.

post #10 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think that's correct. While he may work for a different Samsung division....

There's no mention of it, and a web search doesn't reveal he's ever had any association with them. His latest project was for JCPenney with Ellen DeGeneres.

http://kensegall.com/index1.html

post #11 of 166
I don't like Apple's latest ads, with the people shouting out a word, feels like watching an episode of The Electric Company. And they just seem too "corporate," with all those words flashing by.

How about some "I'm an iPhone," "I'm a Galaxy" ads? 1smile.gif
post #12 of 166
I find the Samsung adverts to be the equivalent of deodorant or beer commercials. Quirky and entertaining, but intentionally superficial in regards to the actual product. The carpet bombing approach of the marketing is also similar.
post #13 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

People who watch soap operas and read tabloids are the majority and are the same people who like the kind of ads Samsung and the rest of Android cartel members do.

And even if true what does it matter? They're still consumers with purchasing power.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #14 of 166
I think Samsung's ads are pretty good, but not great. They're nothing compared to the 'Think Different' campaign of Apple's yesteryear. Sounds like another Apple story to generate hits. Personally, when I hear the Samsung commercial music, the orchestra playing a comical score, I think it's annoying. Is that what you want people to associate with your company? Also, I don't think bashing another company works well in advertising. Apple tried to do it to the PC market a few years ago, and look how far it took their computer division - not very. On the contrary, I've always thought that making fun of your competitor cements them as a standard to beat, it makes users of the 'mocked' company less likely to use the offending company, and it gives the 'mocked' company extra air time - because any publicity is good publicity. Like it or not, if people see a commercial painting an opposing company as terrible, the person walks away, forgets the commercial, and remembers the product logo. I don't think Apple is hitting it out of the park right now, but I think Samsung is performing abysmally in the ad space.
post #15 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And even if true what does it matter? They're still consumers with purchasing power.

Yes ---- and no.

Apple has never attempted to appeal to everyone. There are plenty of people with purchasing power who are not in Apple's target audiences and the ads are therefore not directed at them.

To take it to the extreme, people who live in trailer parks and drive 1980 Chevy Novas have purchasing power. There would not be much point in Apple pursuing them to try to sell them Mac Pro computers.

Apple's ads are targeted at specific demographics. While they may miss some people that way, they also stand a better chance of getting the people they want. It's a trade-off. The one thing that's certain is that attempting to appeal to everyone is usually a mistake.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well, i am not being elitist.

Apple targets a different kind of consumer, as well as Samsung.

Erase Samsung and paste Microsoft or Dell, the result is the same.

If you dig in on the BBC online past articles about Apple way of doing biz and Apple‘s design, you‘ll find similar ones with the same post being discussed here. Nothing new regarding Apple being attacked by its rivals and Apple snubbing them as a sign of Apple losing its edge.

post #17 of 166

"In contrast to Apple, which has been sticking to its product-based ads, Samsung has been scoring points with its people-based ads."

That's funny, because people used to complain about just the opposite. People used to complain that Apple ads never show the Mac Desktop, or show a Mac actually being used. But for iOS, Thats ALL they show.

Ya just can't win fer losin'...

post #18 of 166

And it is strange that Apple is considered arrogant, just for snubbing its competitors, the same which throws tantrums about Apple products in ads.

post #19 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Drama Queen = Ken Segall.
Lets be honest- the guy has immensely more perspective and more valid of an opinion than you or any of us. Unless you named the iMac and created one of- if not THE greatest ad series of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Sammy is copying Apple right down to their advertising spiel.
Have you watched the commercials in this article? Apple has done nothing like the "making fun in line" or Tim Burton. They're pretty original and funny. I like Samsungs ads- they aren't great but they catch your attention and create buzz.

On the other hand- Apple is still bankrolling, so whatever.
Edited by Andysol - 2/26/13 at 6:44am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #20 of 166

I'd say Apple's competitors need strong advertising a little more than Apple does. 

post #21 of 166

Samsung's ads are beginning to give it a certain type of cachet. Samsung is becoming cool.

What real effect that will have on Apple is not certain.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #22 of 166
As Steve would say, "Android products (and their ads) are shit!"
Edited by Rocketman - 2/26/13 at 7:38am
post #23 of 166
"Apple debuted one new ad, while Samsung ran a series of commercials, including one featuring director Tim Burton."

Once again, for those who don't know any better, a spec war. More must mean better.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #24 of 166

In the "Tim Burton" add, Samsung is trying so hard to be subtle but it still looks pathetic. The scene when Tim is waving a phallus-looking horn is especially ridiculous. Am I supposed to run to the store and buy a Galaxy after that?

post #25 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

In the "Tim Burton" add, Samsung is trying so hard to be subtle but it still looks pathetic. The scene when Tim is waving a phallus-looking horn is especially ridiculous. Am I supposed to run to the store and buy a Galaxy after that?

Yes.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #26 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Samsung's ads are beginning to give it a certain type of cachet. Samsung is becoming cool.

What real effect that will have on Apple is not certain.

I tend to agree with "becoming cool". I think, it's a generational and rebellion factor. The younger generation would not buy, use, or wear things that their parents have had. It's only natural.

post #27 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Lets be honest- the guy has immensely more perspective and more valid of an opinion than you or any of us. Unless you named the iMac and created one of- if not THE greatest ad series of all time.

Have you watched the commercials in this article? Apple has done nothing like the "making fun in line" or Tim Burton. They're pretty original and funny. I like Samsungs ads- they aren't great but they catch your attention and create buzz.

On the other hand- Apple is still bankrolling, so whatever.

The guy is always Right. He definitely cannot be wrong.

Ok, i got that.

… But i do not believe in God. 

post #28 of 166
Ads that insult your competitor's customers are good. Ads that that are not funny and totally off base (read: Samsung's SuperBowl 2013) are good? Wow, people lose taste quickly.

Perhap it's time for Apple to run a Copy Different campaign, highlighting the way Samsung steals from, and dance around the various Apple features. "Because those who are crazy enough to think they can get out of jail free are the one who stay"
post #29 of 166
Agree 100% with Segall.

In general, whether it's in media relations, advertising, investor relations, competitor relations, quickness to apologize, etc etc, Apple needs to grow a pair.
Edited by anantksundaram - 2/26/13 at 7:01am
post #30 of 166

I'd love to see Apple respond to one of those hipsters standing in line waiting for an iPhone ads with the following: It's the making of the very same Samsung commercial, and all of the actors are standing around waiting for shooting to start and the frantic director is yelling at them to put their iPhones away because they can't be visible during the shoot. Then, the actors are flubbing the name of the Samsung phone because it's ridiculous and they've never heard of it. Then they comment on how lame it is to touch phones to share songs. All the time, the director is trying to get them back on track. Maybe the one geeky actor is joking about how (airquotes) "ice cream sandwich" will fix everything, if people could just figure out how to download it. Then everyone pulls out their iPhones again.

post #31 of 166
Quote:

I tend to agree with "becoming cool". I think, it's a generational and rebellion factor. The younger generation would not buy, use, or wear things that their parents have had. It's only natural.

Cool, Apple is cool?

Since when Apple is cool?

Only stupid journalists said that.

Cool is Google, Apple cannot get away with what Google gets away with. Go to the Guardian or the BBC online for example.

post #32 of 166
Quote:

Do believe so. Or at least worked

and his point seem to be that Samsing is winning cause they air more ads. Forget who gets more sales,fewer returns, makes more money per ad minute or over all etc. even who gets more social media buzz. That's how you can tell an ad is effective 

oh and no one knows, although every one claims, if the genius ads were cut from air over the fuss or that was just the intended cycle (pulling them from YouTube is a different game)

Edited by charlituna - 2/26/13 at 7:00am
post #33 of 166

Agreed. I hate the Apple ads that make fun of Samsung users. Horrible. /s

post #34 of 166
Quote:

It was a Super Bowl ad. They were just trying to get something crazy so the next day people say "did you see the Samsung ad about the unicorn zombies". Unfortunately for them, a screaming goat from Doritos took that cake

post #35 of 166
Hmm. Iconic, vastly successful capitalist business with a few minor missteps vs. a partisan demagogue who repeatedly fails to live up to promises and can't give a speech without a teleprompter.

Please don't compare the mighty Apple to the mediocre Obama.
post #36 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why, because he used to work for the company that did Apples ads. That makes him more valid to make lame statements based on zero facts. Don't think so. 

Now if he had access to some data to back up those claims . . . 

post #37 of 166
Apple's ads have not really been noteworthy in the last couple of years, the problem with the ads that they run now is that the reaction is more along the lines of "Meh, I've seen this format way to many times", from the music to the camera angles through to the voice over it's all so stale.

I have no idea what their next campaign should be like, but they need to do something different that doesn't suck.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #38 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't like Apple's latest ads, with the people shouting out a word, feels like watching an episode of The Electric Company. And they just seem too "corporate," with all those words flashing by.

They aren't for you. You've already bought in. They are for the folks that haven't 

post #39 of 166
Everyone has an opinion. And despite the "growing" negative opinion of Apple, they keep on selling and selling. Samsung spent what, $12B on ads and their flagship phone was beaten by the iPhone 4.
post #40 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Do believe so. Or at least worked

Charlituna, I don't see anything anywhere about it. What makes you believe he worked with Samsung? We know he worked with Apple.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple