or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple

'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple - Page 4

post #121 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't like Apple's latest ads, with the people shouting out a word, feels like watching an episode of The Electric Company. And they just seem too "corporate," with all those words flashing by.

How about some "I'm an iPhone," "I'm a Galaxy" ads? 1smile.gif

They'd probably end up on court for that.

However, a bit more generic "I'm an iPhone", "I'm Android" ad... could be just fine.
post #122 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, judges said that.

And 70+ years old judges are top authorities on "cool".
post #123 of 166
Quote:

This sentence hurt to read. Good job!

It's what pure, condensed troll memes sound like.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #124 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Apple today is about as interesting as General Mills.  Breakfast cereal too has innovations every year.

I have no problem with your opinion. The question is: who comes up with ad ideas? TBWA\Chiat\Day or Apple? Whose fault is it that these ads are bland?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #125 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The Samsung ads are idiotic. The people in them are singularly unattractive. We have a woman stealing credit for compiling sales figures, a guy arranging the smuggling of illegal energy drinks from Sweden (from a Russian named Oleg?), a guy who goofs off on half his screen while pretending to work on the other, guys going out for a pretentious lunch, a smug Asian IT thug, a roomful of gamer slackers who are allegedly creating a dumb game.

It's hard to believe these ads present the Samsung products in a favorable light to anyone other than a few urban hipsters. Most people will find these characters odious.

Most people found Justin Long's "Mac guy" odious. Yet adds were considered highly successful. I'd say because it is about drawing attention to products rather than offering likeable characters.

Personally, I like Samsung adds. Even if I don't really like Samsung as a brand.
post #126 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, they do. Even when you're on top, you need to advertise. There are lots of reasons to advertise:
1. Keep yourself in the customer's mind ("Out of sight, out of mind" definitely applies in advertising).
2. Spur unplanned purchases (somehow, we always end up at McDonald's after my daughter hears an McD commercial on the radio)
3. Remind people that you're still #1.
4. Tell customers about new products or services
There are other reasons, but that's sufficient to show that you need to advertise even if you're #1.

That said, Apple DOES advertise (as does Coca-Cola, of course). Whether they advertise enough is an open question.
I agree. The first time I saw the ad about the girl pretending that the sales figures were hers, I couldn't believe it. I get more disgusted each time I see it.

I don't think it's just urban hipsters that they appeal to. There's a significant audience that thinks that the ends justify the means - and particularly when it comes down to stealing from a big, bad company. Everything about Samsung (from their advertising to their 'product development' to their corporate bribery practices says 'sleaze'.

1. When is Coke ever out of sight? It's prominently displayed in just about every store.

2. One can only get McD's at McD's but one can buy Coke there too.

3. Last I heard they were #1 and #2.

4. With this one I agree.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #127 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Most people found Justin Long's "Mac guy" odious. Yet adds were considered highly successful. I'd say because it is about drawing attention to products rather than offering likeable characters.

Personally, I like Samsung adds. Even if I don't really like Samsung as a brand.

He did well in the ads, I find him odious because he's banging Drew Barrymore.
post #128 of 166
The main problem at Apple is that they've changed their user base. In the past it was mainly driven by intellectual and/or creative users, so the "think different" motto fitted nicely.

Now the user base is people who don't need computers. iOS, according to Steve Jobs, is designed for people who never used a computer.

In other words, the main user base now (ie, the one that produces more revenue) aren't people which Apple helps to "think different", but people driven to "not think at all" from the latest Apple policies.

The current Apple policies can only be explained if they believe they make more money if people don't think, just like Microsoft did in their golden days.

Samsung is catching this scenario very well. Most of their ads are smart, brilliant and fun. Apple cannot make such ads any longer, because their current business is based on non-thinking customers.

Considering myself a "think different" user, I boo at Apple, and applaud the current Samsung way of thinking (although I don't use Android, since I prefer Linux and OSX over Android and iOS respectively)
post #129 of 166
Like most of these non-Apple ads, the product and features are hidden. But if you drop a load in front of an ad person, their best response is to make a commercial that JQ Public will find amusing, and then throw up the logo and tagline at the end.

While the "rap battle" approach might get the Apple-haters excited, it doesn't work. All you need to do is look at the MS campaigns from the last 10 years. But in all fairness, when you can't say anything about your product is better, slagging off the other guy is really all you're left to... well, that, and the "hey, we're cheaper."
post #130 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

The main problem at Apple is that they've changed their user base. In the past it was mainly driven by intellectual and/or creative users, so the "think different" motto fitted nicely.

Now the user base is people who don't need computers. iOS, according to Steve Jobs, is designed for people who never used a computer.

In other words, the main user base now (ie, the one that produces more revenue) aren't people which Apple helps to "think different", but people driven to "not think at all" from the latest Apple policies.

The current Apple policies can only be explained if they believe they make more money if people don't think, just like Microsoft did in their golden days.

Samsung is catching this scenario very well. Most of their ads are smart, brilliant and fun. Apple cannot make such ads any longer, because their current business is based on non-thinking customers.

Considering myself a "think different" user, I boo at Apple, and applaud the current Samsung way of thinking (although I don't use Android, since I prefer Linux and OSX over Android and iOS respectively)

We've gotten even too lazy to think. Technology is actually making us dumber.
post #131 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You said that the ads weren't Apple's best stuff. So does that mean that "Good Enough" is the new standard.

By the way... I don't think there is a company on the planet who believes that they can stop advertising and remain on top or anywhere near it. [read jragosta above]

For every 10 mediocre ads presented by Samsung, Apple needs only one really good ad imho. As it is, I think that Apple is at the 10 to 4 ratio right now.

Apple's "good" is better than most companies' "best". Apple would be foolish not to advertise, but they shouldn't drown us in commercials. Every time you see an iPhone used to record interviews or take pictures on the news/tv, is free advertising.
post #132 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

1. When is Coke ever out of sight? It's prominently displayed in just about every store.

Quit advertising and see how long it takes to be placed on the high shelves.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #133 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple's "good" is better than most companies' "best". Apple would be foolish not to advertise, but they shouldn't drown us in commercials. Every time you see an iPhone used to record interviews or take pictures on the news/tv, is free advertising.

Keep thinking that "good enough" is the way to go. It's so easy to be forgotten by a fickle public.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #134 of 166
Quote:

Actually, I thought those ads worked because Justin Long was just the straight man and John Hodgman's "PC guy" had all the funny lines.  You'd think Mac vs. PC ads would be mean-spirited, but Hodgman's character was kind of a lovable boob, so Apple made its point without seeming mean.

post #135 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Actually, I thought those ads worked because Justin Long was just the straight man and John Hodgman's "PC guy" had all the funny lines.  You'd think Mac vs. PC ads would be mean-spirited, but Hodgman's character was kind of a lovable boob, so Apple made its point without seeming mean.

Correct. John Hodgman made those ads work. Although you only needed to cast a perfect foil for PC guy, and that was Justin.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #136 of 166
Quote:

Keep thinking that "good enough" is the way to go. It's so easy to be forgotten by a fickle public.

You make it sound like these will be the last ads Apple releases...ever.
Quote:

Quit advertising and see how long it takes to be placed on the high shelves.

Ads didn't put them there, Coke paid for shelving location.
post #137 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You make it sound like these will be the last ads Apple releases...ever.
Ads didn't put them there, Coke paid for shelving location.

No... you make it sound like "Good Enough" is all that is necessary.

... and when Coke no longer has the money to pay...  do you really believe that a company would last that long if it didn't advertise... really.

Edited by island hermit - 2/26/13 at 3:11pm
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #138 of 166
Quote:

No... you make it sound like "Good Enough" is all that is necessary.

... and when Coke no longer has the money to pay...

Don't hold your breath for the day Coke no longer has money. I don't think even monkey boy Ballmer can derail that train.
post #139 of 166
Quote:

Don't hold your breath for the day Coke no longer has money.

If you follow the thread....

I'd like to see how long they would remain on top if they stopped advertising.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #140 of 166
Quote:

If you follow the thread....

I'd like to see how long they would remain on top if they stopped advertising.

I've been following the thread, like I said they're #1 and #2. No amount of advertising by Pepsi can change that, just like no amount of advertising by Samsung will stop people from buying iPhones.
post #141 of 166
Quote:

Samsung's ads are beginning to give it a certain type of cachet. Samsung is becoming cool.

What real effect that will have on Apple is not certain.

Samsung is clearly going after a sleaze niche. You want to call that a certain type of cachet, or cool, ok. Who cares about ethics anyway, right?

It will be interesting to see what Segall comes up with later this week when he talks about their ads specifically.
post #142 of 166
Do you really think Coca-Cola needs to advertise?

…No. That's the idea…

And 70+ years old judges are top authorities on "cool".

You can't have it both ways. Either Apple is cool or they didn't have to "apologize" to Samsung and should be financially compensated by the court for the damage done to Apple.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #143 of 166

One of the earlier posts talked about "consumers with buying power"....  Good point!

I just don't like companies that push their product by portraying buyers (or fans) of other competing products as stupid (standing in line), dumb ("they don't see that the next big thing is already here") and now in their latest "campaign" being old, out-of-touch and being mocked by "hip" tween employees. These "older" or "dumb" people are all potential buyers of other Samsung products now or in the future. Products of other divisions like TVs, computers, appliances. 

If I would be the head of any of these other Samsung 'silos', I'd pick up the phone and call my counterpart in "Mobile": "What the heck are you doing? You pissing off my potential customers. You want me (us) to loose a $2,500 TV or Fridge deal just so you might sell more S III ! ?"   

Back to 'buying power': Call me sensitive but Samsung lost me.

Now - what TV should I get...? Typical First World problem....

Edited by Robre - 2/26/13 at 7:15pm
post #144 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robre View Post

One of the earlier posts talked about "consumers with buying power"....  Good point!
I just don't like companies that push their product by portraying buyers (or fans) of other competing products as stupid (standing in line), dumb ("they don't see that the next big thing is already here") and now in their latest "campaign" being old, out-of-touch and being mocked by "hip" tween employees. These "older" or "dumb" people are all potential buyers of other Samsung products now or in the future. Products of other divisions like TVs, computers, appliances. 
If I would be the head of any of these other Samsung 'silos', I'd pick up the phone and call my counterpart in "Mobile": "What the heck are you doing? You pissing off my potential customers. You want me (us) to loose a $2,500 TV or Fridge deal just so you might sell more S III ! ?"   

Ignorance doesn't equate dumb. In no way do I think Samsung portrays the people that wait on line as being dumb. Does it seem like the guy holding a spot for his parents think that they're dumb? Does the guy belittle those on line? Not at all. I think Samsung's message is "hey, we know that you guys like the iPhone but we have a device that is already out and might interest you"

Get a Panasonic plasma.
post #145 of 166
Quote:

I actually figured it would more closely resemble the company they look up to most, Xerox 1smile.gif
post #146 of 166
Quote:

I've been following the thread, like I said they're #1 and #2. No amount of advertising by Pepsi can change that, just like no amount of advertising by Samsung will stop people from buying iPhones.

... but that wasn't the argument... and you know it... or you actually weren't following the thread.

As a refresher:

The day Apple or any other company stops advertising is the first day they start on the road to the bottom.

The day that Coke stops advertising but Pepsi continues to advertise is the day that Coke heads down the ladder and Pepsi goes to the top.

Edited by island hermit - 2/26/13 at 10:09pm
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #147 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robre View Post

I don't agree with what I'm about to write (poor logic), but how about this:

"Hey, I 'may' be old and out-of-touch, but if I buy this Samsung fridge, I will become cool and hip.  That's what the ads say."

post #148 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post

I don't agree with what I'm about to write (poor logic), but how about this:

"Hey, I 'may' be old and out-of-touch, but if I buy this Samsung fridge, I will become cool and hip.  That's what the ads say."

That's not as crazy as you think. There was a case a year or two ago where a young adult sued a deodorant maker because it didn't attract women like their ads suggested that it would.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #149 of 166
Quote:

... but that wasn't the argument... and you know it... or you actually weren't following the thread.

As a refresher:

The day Apple or any other company stops advertising is the first day they start on the road to the bottom.

The day that Coke stops advertising but Pepsi continues to advertise is the day that Coke heads down the ladder and Pepsi goes to the top.

I beg to differ. How many products do you buy that you've never seen a ad for? Yet you still buy it when you shop. There are a few products that are ingrained into people's minds and are there to stay. Coca-Cola is one of them. No amount of advertising by Pepsi will unseat Coke from the #1 spot.
post #150 of 166
Quote:

I beg to differ. How many products do you buy that you've never seen a ad for? Yet you still buy it when you shop. There are a few products that are ingrained into people's minds and are there to stay. Coca-Cola is one of them. No amount of advertising by Pepsi will unseat Coke from the #1 spot.

You're right. Companies spend billions of dollars every year for nothing. 1rolleyes.gif

Remain uneducated if you will.

Coca Cola was by far the King of the soft drink world until the 50s. Nothing even close.

In the late 40s and early 50s Pepsi made everything else equal: infrastructure & distribution. Coca Cola began to have a real contender. Then Pepsi started firing on all cylinders with a few of its ad campaigns. Coke and Pepsi almost bankrupted themselves during the Cola Wars of the 60s, 70s and early 80s.

Once the business ends were similar it's advertising that made the difference. Coke will never stop advertising as Jaragosta stated because Pepsi would roll over them like a 300 mph train.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #151 of 166
Quote:

You're right. Companies spend billions of dollars every year for nothing. 1rolleyes.gif

Remain uneducated if you will.

Coca Cola was by far the King of the soft drink world until the 50s. Nothing even close.

In the late 40s and early 50s Pepsi made everything else equal: infrastructure & distribution. Coca Cola began to have a real contender. Then Pepsi started firing on all cylinders with a few of its ad campaigns. Coke and Pepsi almost bankrupted themselves during the Cola Wars of the 60s, 70s and early 80s.

Once the business ends were similar it's advertising that made the difference. Coke will never stop advertising as Jaragosta stated because Pepsi would roll over them like a 300 mph train.

I think the moves Coca-Cola made is what put them at #1, and not advertising, like making their soft drinks the choice in most fast food places and restaurants. Do you really think people will start drinking Rum and Pepsi or Jack and Pepsi all of a sudden?
post #152 of 166
Quote:

I think the moves Coca-Cola made is what put them at #1, and not advertising, like making their soft drinks the choice in most fast food places and restaurants. Do you really think people will start drinking Rum and Pepsi or Jack and Pepsi all of a sudden?

If you reverse the CocoCola logo, is says in arabic

It is truly an evil company. I do not oblige.
post #153 of 166
Originally Posted by WontonParmesan View Post

That's eerie! What're the odds…

post #154 of 166
Quote:

Yeah, it's not a coincidence in my opinion. I think they did that on purpose. If you think about it there is no good in That toxic sugar water.
post #155 of 166
I have to admit, that is a good Samsung ad. LOL very hip. Tell me that doesn't encroach into Apple territory and I'll call you delusional. :-)
post #156 of 166
Quote:

Well, that Coke logo has been modified slightly.

post #157 of 166
Quote:

Well, that Coke logo has been modified slightly.
You still can't deny that the ingredients in the soda causes brain damage along with other health & environmental issues.

Just saying Homie

post #158 of 166
Quote:

You still can't deny that the ingredients in the soda causes brain damage along with other health & environmental issues.

Just saying Homie

Since most people drink soda, and most people aren't brain damaged, I don't see how the evidence supports your conclusion.

post #159 of 166

I'd be quite happy if it was illegal to put HFCS in foods. For a few years now, I've not imbibed anything with HFCS in it, and that limits me to water, milk, 100% juice, and specialized sodas. I'd say it's less than 10% of the total "drinks" market. And I'm fine with that. Stop wasting sugar on ethanol and use the corn instead.

But there's no evidence supporting either of your claims.

Since most people drink soda, and most people aren't brain damaged, I don't see how the evidence supports your conclusion.

The majority is always sane. Damage stops being damage if everyone has it. 1wink.gif

post #160 of 166
Quote:

Come on you're going to argue with me about soda? Lol dude look do some research on soda. Yes most people are brain damaged. They just don't realize it. For real man look up the shit they put it in. Then after you list the ingredients. Look up ingredients & maybe you can share the knowledge & save someones life from self destruction. #idiocracy
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple