or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook

Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook

post #1 of 126
Samsung on Wednesday introduced a new smartphone application called "Wallet," which bears a striking resemblance to Apple's own Passbook feature.

Samsung Wallet
Left, Apple's Passbook icon. Right, Samsung Wallet. Via The Verge.

The new Wallet application for Android carries store cards, event tickets, boarding passes, and coupons. As noted by The Verge, the resemblance to Apple's Passbook is striking, even down to the icon Samsung chose to use.

Like Passbook, it will store all of a user's cards in one location. It will also offer time- and location-based push notifications to make it easy for users to access their cards.

And again like Passbook, the software will also automatically update with information such as membership points available, or the gate from which a flight will be departing.

Partners also include a number of companies that were among the first adopters of Apple's Passbook: Major League Baseball, Lufthansa, and Walgreens, to name a few. Samsung's Wallet application will not support NFC payment features ? something Apple's Passbook also lacks.

Samsung's announcement of Wallet, and its similarities to Apple's Passbook, are noteworthy because Apple for years has been accusing Samsung of copying its devices. The two companies are engaged in a number of patent infringement suits in which Apple has charged Samsung with copying the look and feel of the iPhone and the iPad.

Passbook debuted on the iPhone last year as part of the iOS 6 mobile operating system. It's become particularly popular in a trial run at Major League Baseball stadiums, prompting the league to announce this week that Passbook will be accepted at 13 MLB stadiums in the 2013 season.
post #2 of 126
Passed out at the inference that they copied OMG
post #3 of 126
Samsung Innovation at it's finest.
post #4 of 126
A striking resemblance? Why not call a spade, a spade? Samsung cranked up their copy machine, and apparently it takes about 8 months for Samsung to develop a feature.
post #5 of 126
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung Wallet
Left, Apple's Passbook icon. Right, Samsung Wallet.

If you defend this, you are an idiot.

There's just nothing else to be said. And no, it's not an insult. It's being kind.

(please someone be creative enough to joke "But on the Apple logo, the plane ticket has a tab on the side and the movie on the top! Samsung's is the opposite, so it's not copying!")

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #6 of 126
Can samsung come up with anything without sealing it.
post #7 of 126
Samsung copied Apple? I for one, am shocked!
Some things never change.
post #8 of 126

does anyone actually use passport? let sammy waste their time copying this underdeveloped pos.

post #9 of 126
C'mon, this article is stretching a bit don't you think. Passbook isn't unique. Samsung didn't copy. Samsung has probably been developing this for years, even prior to Apple releasing iOS 6.0, because it is the logical next step in payments and transactions. We all know NFC isn't catching on and that is why Samsung doesn't include NFC in any of their phones....Oh they do? So they are an early adapter of NFC which is the future and Passbook is clearly not?

This doesn't prove anything! Samsung does not copy, they revolutionize! Just look at how they revolutionized the icon by not just having a ticket with a plane on it but having a ticket with a plane and a date on it too. Samsungs Genius never ceases to amaze me.

What will they think of next. By they I mean Apple so Samsung can do it too of course.
post #10 of 126
Color me shocked!
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #11 of 126
Originally Posted by mkart4 View Post
does anyone actually use passport? let sammy waste their time copying this underdeveloped pos.

What a valid and accurate argument¡

post #12 of 126
#passbookisthenewping
post #13 of 126

Of course Apple didn't invent the digital wallet but Samsung bringing this out AFTER Apple came out with Passbook and using a very similar icon design screams copy.  I'm sure the Samsung/Android crowd will be here soon to tell us all differently.

post #14 of 126
Wow. That's all I can say...wow.
post #15 of 126

It's such an obvious rip off (Down to the COLORS in the icon) there are no words...alright maybe one: shameless? Yikes. At least we can be sure the Xerox machines in Samsung's HQ are in good working order. Doesn't Apple have a patent on Passbook??

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #16 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you defend this, you are an idiot.

There's just nothing else to be said. And no, it's not an insult. It's being kind.

(please someone be creative enough to joke "But on the Apple logo, the plane ticket has a tab on the side and the movie on the top! Samsung's is the opposite, so it's not copying!")

It's inexcusable really. Guess there aren't many if any people with original ideas employed by Samsung.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #17 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

C'mon, this article is stretching a bit don't you think. Passbook isn't unique. Samsung didn't copy. Samsung has probably been developing this for years, even prior to Apple releasing iOS 6.0, because it is the logical next step in payments and transactions. We all know NFC isn't catching on and that is why Samsung doesn't include NFC in any of their phones....Oh they do? So they are an early adapter of NFC which is the future and Passbook is clearly not?

This doesn't prove anything! Samsung does not copy, they revolutionize! Just look at how they revolutionized the icon by not just having a ticket with a plane on it but having a ticket with a plane and a date on it too. Samsungs Genius never ceases to amaze me.

What will they think of next. By they I mean Apple so Samsung can do it too of course.

Yes Samsung phones do have a NFC chip. Have had them for over a year now.
post #18 of 126

Samsung continues to drive incredible innovations to the overall Android experience. This is why consumers are choosing Samsung devices over those from HTC and Sony. Samsung is in the experiences business, and consumers want these amazing experiences.

post #19 of 126
Pity there isn't a Tarot card sticking out; I'd like to read them their fortune
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #20 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkart4 View Post

Yes, lots of people use Passbook.
post #21 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Samsung continues to drive incredible innovations to the overall Android experience. This is why consumers are choosing Samsung devices over those from HTC and Sony. Samsung is in the experiences business, and consumers want these amazing experiences.
There it is again, that word. Innovation is not what Samsung is doing. Samsung is in the copying business. They're porting the Apple experience to Android, and a cheapened one at that.
post #22 of 126
Quote:

Every time I use one of their TV's, indeed, I am amazed by the experience! Frustration is one way of describing that, and I am sure others have fantastic and immaculate words for this experience as well.
post #23 of 126

On androidauthority.com they said this about Samsung Wallet:

"It’s so laughably similar [to passbook] that we’re kind of ashamed to call ourselves Samsung fans now, but such is life."

post #24 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes Samsung phones do have a NFC chip. Have had them for over a year now.

I know that, was just anticipating what the other side will have to say about the latest blatent copying done by Samsung in my own sarcastic manner.  I thought I made my sarcasm clear but apparently not.  Thanks for looking out though :)

post #25 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Yes, lots of people use Passbook.

Agreed.  I use it at least a few times I week.  But I travel a lot for work.

post #26 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

On androidauthority.com they said this about Samsung Wallet:

"It’s so laughably similar [to passbook] that we’re kind of ashamed to call ourselves Samsung fans now, but such is life."

I have an Android phone, and i would love to participate on Androidauthority's forum. They aren't biased, and they provide nice articles. The problem? Users. Even there they say Apple is paying them. lol

post #27 of 126
LOL

This headline should read:

"Samsung steals Apple's wallet"
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #28 of 126
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post
but such is life."

Saddest part of the whole thing. They know and accept that it's wrong, but they couldn't care less.

post #29 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

I know that, was just anticipating what the other side will have to say about the latest blatent copying done by Samsung in my own sarcastic manner.  I thought I made my sarcasm clear but apparently not.  Thanks for looking out though 1smile.gif

I caught the sarcasm of your post, I just thought maybe that within your sarcasm you asked a legitimate question, and you're welcome.
post #30 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellanca View Post

Agreed.  I use it at least a few times I week.  But I travel a lot for work.

It's somewhat of a niche product, that Apple needs more business development to make ubiquitous. I often wonder if Apple has any MBAs on staff.

post #31 of 126
Quote:

Saddest part of the whole thing. They know and accept that it's wrong, but they couldn't care less.

Well at least they're at Step 1, self awareness and/or self assessment. I don't think that they care less, more like powerless to do anything about it. They themselves can stop buying Samsung devices but cannot stop the other millions that do.
post #32 of 126

Lets face it - This is Samsung's strategy. They should be ashamed, but they are not. It is blatant thievery but they hold their head up high and don't care. And on the whole, it is working wonderfully for them.

post #33 of 126

I was waiting for the shredder animation when deleting a card in that video!

post #34 of 126
Quote:

I know you're kidding, but it is worthwhile having a (another?) look at how Samsung IS driving everybody else out of business, except maybe Apple. On Horace Dediu's Asymco website, from three months ago. Check out the graphs at the end of the article, and read some of the comments. Hair raising. It amounts to bribery to the carriers.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/
post #35 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I know you're kidding, but it is worthwhile having a (another?) look at how Samsung IS driving everybody else out of business, except maybe Apple. On Horace Dediu's Asymco website, from three months ago. Check out the graphs at the end of the article, and read some of the comments. Hair raising. It amounts to bribery to the carriers.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/
Oh, he was kidding?
post #36 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Oh, he was kidding?

Well, I thought he HAD to be. But then, . . .
post #37 of 126
This is just like passbook but with a bigger screen and bigger market share.

I vote that Samsung changes their company name to some kind of fruit.
post #38 of 126
Why does some company always have to take the Microsoft role with Apple?
post #39 of 126
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Well, I thought he HAD to be. But then, . . .

From his history, I would say he isn't kidding at all, which is hilarious.

post #40 of 126
Quote:

From his history, I would say he isn't kidding at all, which is hilarious.

Or, sad.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook