or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook - Page 3

post #81 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe this will be th year it happens. Visa has teamed up with Samsung and considering the popularity of Samsung in the Android community and the Galaxy S III it's the 2nd best smartphone vendor to choose for trying to get NFC adopted.


I remember the Olympics using the SGS 3 for all types of things. The athletes were given them and they were used for purchases throughout the village and even as the key card for their rooms.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #82 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, clearly making a black, square, stitched, leather pouch, with angled passes inside, including a plane ticket, a movie ticket, and a coffee ticket, using the colors blue, green, and yellow, is the only obvious way to create a wallet icon. 

But seriously, I'm trying to figure out Samsung's strategy here. This is far more than a copy- it's cynically, willfully making an obvious knockoff icon in order to attract comparisons. I guess this IS their strategy. I'm a designer, and in a single day I could come up with 10 completely different concepts for a wallet, that all look good, are unique, intuitive, and obvious. Samsung, the massive company that it is, can't do the same? They can, but willfully choose not to. It's not even like passbook is a well known or much used app- most iPhone owners I know haven't even touched it. But Samsung insists on ripping off even this icon, even when it is oh so easy to make a million different concepts that look NOTHING like passbook. This is extremely cynical, underhanded, and seems to be done solely to provoke Apple and invite comparisons and confusion- even after being on the losing end of a $1B lawsuit . How the **** anyone can respect such a company is beyond me. 

On a side note, I wonder what Google thoughts are on Samsung replacing their own built in Wallet feature with their own app. I doubt they're pleased, and this is definitely a shot in the face of Google wallet's adoption and usage prospects. 

Note that Apple let's the icon be iconic but Samsung puts their name on it. I bet they do that so 1) people can tell them apart, and 2) they can use that as a legal defense if it comes to it.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/27/13 at 2:02pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #83 of 126

In a way a bad thing may be a good thing, at least in this case.

 

I doubt anyone buys an iPhone because of Passbook, but everyone with an iPhone will appreciate it more once the market fully catches on, which requires a lot of usage in the first place. As much as I think Samsung is run by shady hypercompetitive scumbags, the fact that the other big smartphone maker helps getting something with Passbook function into everyone's hand who doesn't own an iPhone will also help iPhone users in the sense that more merchants will be willing to support Passbook/Wallet. The fact that "Samesung" blatantly rips off the design is of course just as infuriating as every other one of their previous rip-offs.

 

On a different note, I just got my wife an iPhone 4S for her birthday (upgrade from a Nokia 6310, if anyone knows what that looks like...), instead of the cheaper Samsung Galaxy S2 (on Virgin Mobile), in part because the Galaxy's upgrade path (and availability of e.g. Google Now, which I find pretty cool, if a bit scarry) isn't clear. That's where Samsung probably makes most of its money, people who need to upgrade (cheaper) phones because the phone itself doesn't get software upgrades. Totally different business model than Apple.

42 = 54 base 13
Reply
42 = 54 base 13
Reply
post #84 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

This is just like passbook but with a bigger screen and bigger market share.

I vote that Samsung changes their company name to some kind of fruit.

How many of Sammy's phones can use passport...er...wallet?
post #85 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This Samsung Wallet widget doesn't just Apple. It is also aimed at Google. What happens to Google Wallet now? Will/can Google sue for trademark infringement?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Why would they? People are complaining because it's a direct ripoff of Passbook. It isn't a ripoff of gwallet.

 

I think the question is does Samsung Wallet undermines Google's attempts to build and control the Android ecosystem by essentially cutting Google out of the loop in this instance. Or, in other words: Is this Google's worst nightmare about its Android OEMs, and Samsung in particular, beginning to come true? Is this where they begin to lose control of Android?

post #86 of 126

With this one, I would say that not only is Samsung copying, but they are giving the middle finger to Apple. Basically, they are daring Apple to sue them over this. (I am talking about visual design of the app, not the concept of a digital wallet.)

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply
post #87 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


I think the question is does Samsung Wallet undermines Google's attempts to build and control the Android ecosystem by essentially cutting Google out of the loop in this instance. Or, in other words: Is this Google's worst nightmare about its Android OEMs, and Samsung in particular, beginning to come true? Is this where they begin to lose control of Android?

Were Samsung only creating Samsung Wallet then the threat would be minimal. Samsung has gone far beyond Samsung Wallet. Samsung is developing a separate ecosystem from Google:

Media Hub (music)
Music Hub (Movies and Television)
S Beam
S Cloud
S Voice
Wallet

Google should be fearful, very fearful. What is next?

OS? oh, wait... Tizen
Web Browser?
Search Engine?
Maps?



Personally, I am surprised that HTC and LG haven't made considerable strides in the same direction. I can only assume that they have data suggesting they are benefitting from the supposed popularity of Android. The question to ask, however, is; is Android popular or is Samsung popular. Samsung seems to believe Samsung is popular.

Could HTC purchase BlackBerry?
Will LG only use WebOS for kitchen appliances?
post #88 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

... Personally, I am surprised that HTC and LG haven't made considerable strides in the same direction. I can only assume that they have data suggesting they are benefitting from the supposed popularity of Android. ...

 

Based on their financials, I don't see how anyone could claim that HTC and LG are benefitting from Android.

post #89 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Apple has has the benefit of being able to pay their employees less because working for A thriving, fast growing, and popular company whose products you love has its benefits, but ultimately that honeymoon will end and how much you get paid will be a deciding factor.

For that reason this is one area I will say "Apple should use some of that $100+ billion to pay their employees more so they aren't as easily poached."

Couldn't agree more.  But, alas, money isn't the only consideration employees have.

post #90 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Based on their financials, I don't see how anyone could claim that HTC and LG are benefitting from Android.

I wouldn't think so but who knows? Are customers frequently specifically seeking HTC and LG in the developed world?
post #91 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


I wouldn't think so but who knows? Are customers frequently specifically seeking HTC and LG in the developed world?

 

Does it matter? Overall, it's been a losing proposition for both of them.

post #92 of 126

And both are very similar to Google Wallet........  So what....  How else would you do it???

post #93 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

And both are very similar to Google Wallet........  So what....  How else would you do it???

 

What an idiotic post, if you're being serious. You're right, there's no other way to create a wallet icon than a black, square, stitched, leather pouch, with angled passes inside, including a plane ticket, a movie ticket, and a coffee ticket, using the colors blue, green, and yellow. 

 

And no, passbook looks nothing like Google Wallet, and more importantly WORKS nothing like Google wallet. If you cared more about facts and less about mindless trolling you'd know that. 

 

See my previous post. 


Edited by Slurpy - 2/27/13 at 12:02pm
post #94 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Does it matter? Overall, it's been a losing proposition for both of them.

I think it matters to some degree.

HTC has entered a licensing agreement with Apple.
HTC seems to really consider their product design.

versus

Samsung who blatantly copies competitors.
Samsung who creates mediocre products and uses unprecedented marketing campaigns to sell their products.


My sense of justice, truth, and loyalty leads me to believe that fair play should be rewarded.
post #95 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I think it matters to some degree.

HTC has entered a licensing agreement with Apple.
HTC seems to really consider their product design.

versus

Samsung who blatantly copies competitors.
Samsung who creates mediocre products and uses unprecedented marketing campaigns to sell their products.


My sense of justice, truth, and loyalty leads me to believe that fair play should be rewarded.

I agree but the sad truth is that not playing fair has almost become the norm. Watch the documentary 'Bigger, Stronger, Faster' and you'll get an insight at how prevalent cheating is in just about everything.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #96 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

What an idiotic post, if you're being serious. You're right, there's no other way to create a wallet icon than a black, square, stitched, leather pouch, with angled passes inside, including a plane ticket, a movie ticket, and a coffee ticket, using the colors blue, green, and yellow. 

 

And no, passbook looks nothing like Google Wallet, and more importantly WORKS nothing like Google wallet. If you cared more about facts and less about mindless trolling you'd know that. 

 

See my previous post. 

Yea,

 

None of them accept electronic payments and tie that to your a personal credit card or checking account....  

 

No wait, that is exactly what they do.....

 

Google adds near field and Apple add some electronic ticketing stuff.....big deal....

post #97 of 126
You need no further proof that Samescum don't have any original thoughts. It's in their DNA, this just proves it. I notice the resident fandroid troll gator guy hasn't bobbed his stupid head up on this one. It's not defendable, obviously. Sad to be a scum company without one original thought, sponging off the work of the successful.
post #98 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Note that Apple let's the icon be iconic hut Samsung pita their name on it. I bet they do that so 1) people can tell them apart, and 2) they can use that as a defense if it comes to it.

 

Samsung has their phone with the "SAMSUNG" logo on it, yet they feel to put an icon on their phone with the "Samsung" title on it.  As far as I'm concerned, some Samsung lawyer told them "If you're going to copy Apple, at least put your name on the icon so Apple won't sue you for copying their stuff AGAIN".

I hope Apple goes after them.  I find it hard that a judge won't see what Samsung tried to get away with.

post #99 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

And apple copied passbook from other 3rd party apps. Apple didn't innovate it either.

What are those apps? I would concede your point if you actually had something to add to it.

post #100 of 126
Well this is just on the list of things that Samsung copies, OS hardware and more.
post #101 of 126

By doing this Samsung just got themselves a boatload of free publicity.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #102 of 126
Maybe Samsung is truly coming up with all these great inventions and applications and Apple is just producing them quicker than Samsung! We've had it wrong all along!

/s
post #103 of 126
Name-calling doesn't matter. Apple copies too. What matters is who copies most elegantly. Currently, Apple isn't the king of copying any more, nor is it the king of innovation. That's bad news for AAPL shareholders.
I got nothin'.
Reply
I got nothin'.
Reply
post #104 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


I think it matters to some degree.

HTC has entered a licensing agreement with Apple.
HTC seems to really consider their product design.

versus

Samsung who blatantly copies competitors.
Samsung who creates mediocre products and uses unprecedented marketing campaigns to sell their products.

 

But... but... 'pebbles in a stream'...

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #105 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaihu View Post

With this one, I would say that not only is Samsung copying, but they are giving the middle finger to Apple. Basically, they are daring Apple to sue them over this. (I am talking about visual design of the app, not the concept of a digital wallet.)

I think that's the most obvious thing about it. Samsung continues to do things that just don't make any sense if they cared a whit for intellectual property. The icon has far too many similarities to Apple's to be coincidence - and it wouldn't have hurt usability a bit to have a unique icon. When you combine this type of nonsense with their advertising, it's like it's a game to them - and they're going to continue to copy forever.

A $1 B fine didn't even slow them down - their copying probably earned them at least 10 times that amount already - and created a huge market position that they could never have earned fair and square so their profits will continue to grow.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #106 of 126
Of course they did.
post #107 of 126

Whats the sense of having patents if they don't prevent copying. Samsung is supossed to be a big on innovating so why are they copying???

post #108 of 126
Quote:
Yea,

None of them accept electronic payments and tie that to your a personal credit card or checking account....

No wait, that is exactly what they do.....

Google adds near field and Apple add some electronic ticketing stuff.....big deal....
I guess you really don't know what the iPhone Passbook does. It does not "accept electronic payments and tie that to your personal credit card." That's the Google Wallet, yes. Passbook collects all passes, coupons, offers, and other similar pieces of data, and makes it available form a single place. It then can issue automatic notifications at the appropriate time or place, based on the context of the document. However, the documents themselves are generated by their individual apps.

Passbook offers developers an interface to "add" these documents to the common container, but the individual, third-party apps are responsible for the offers, payments, or any other function. It is not so much an electronic payment system, rather a "smart" wallet that holds your cards issued by third parties.

For instance, you want to pay at Starbucks using Passbook? You need to get the Starbucks app, log into it and enter your credit card details. From then on, the app can generate vouchers for offers or discounts (while in communication with the Starbucks servers)--and *those* can then be put into the Passbook.

It puts third party developers retailers or service providers in control of the payment or coupon mechanisms.

That is absolutely orthogonal to Google Wallet. It is, however, identical to what Samsung Wallet does. Get it now?

dZ.
post #109 of 126
Samsung does not have the intellectual capacity to manage a business in a way that is highly profitable without government support.
post #110 of 126

We moved to a school district in Southern California with about 30 to 40 percent Korean students 10 years ago. These kids are extremely competitive to say the least, beginning even before kindergarten. Two things that have not changed through the years are: 1. they are cut throat competitive, they do not share info. or help fellow classmates. 2. they CHEAT. Look up SAT cheating scandal Korea/ns, you will find lots of articles on that too.

 

After reading all these articles about Samsung blatantly copied Apple's designs, I guess cheating is acceptable as long as they 'win'??

post #111 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

If you defend this, you are an idiot.

 

There's just nothing else to be said. And no, it's not an insult. It's being kind.

 

(please someone be creative enough to joke "But on the Apple logo, the plane ticket has a tab on the side and the movie on the top! Samsung's is the opposite, so it's not copying!")

 

White on grey? I can just about make out the words "Apple logo".

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #112 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcphers View Post

Even when they copy, they can't get the design right. Did anyone notice how the white ticket on top is getting cut off? Why would the top ticket get cut off?

 

LOL Did you miss the symbolism? Do you think they didn't?


Edited by Eluard - 2/28/13 at 4:01pm
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #113 of 126
Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
White on grey? I can just about make out the words "Apple logo".

 

White on white. Select the text.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #114 of 126
A wallet looks like a wallet. The constant sentiment that Apple copies Samsung or vice-versa is ridiculous. That' like saying everyone who uses a magnifying glass is copying someone else. In a sense they are, but it is a recognizable symbol. Get over it already.
post #115 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

A wallet looks like a wallet. The constant sentiment that Apple copies Samsung or vice-versa is ridiculous. That' like saying everyone who uses a magnifying glass is copying someone else. In a sense they are, but it is a recognizable symbol. Get over it already.

Is it a recognized symbol? Why is it that Apple's icons become "recognized symbols".
post #116 of 126

Samsung the shameless copycat. This is just ridiculous.

It has been quiet on Sammy camp lately. They are waiting for Apple to create something new so they can copy again to compete.

post #117 of 126
Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post
A wallet looks like a wallet.

 

Thanks for the tautology.

 

This doesn't look like a wallet at all, though, so it's meaningless.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #118 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This doesn't look like a wallet at all, though, so it's meaningless.

 

I'm not getting into this thread, except to note that their icon looks different when projected on a big screen.  No idea why.

 

 

post #119 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

I'm not getting into this thread, except to note that their icon looks different when projected on a big screen.  No idea why.

 

 

I

 

It looks no different, except making the similarities to passbook more striking and obvious. 

post #120 of 126
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

Looks identical. It's the worse contrast of the photograph compared to the actual image of it. If your monitor is good enough, you can see the pocket and stitching on the small image even in the article here.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook