or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ex-Apple marketing guru Kawasaki signs on as Motorola consultant

Ex-Apple marketing guru Kawasaki signs on as Motorola consultant

post #1 of 32
Guy Kawasaki, former Apple evangelist, announced on Wednesday that he would be taking on an advising position at Google-owned Motorola, saying the troubled smartphone manufacturer is ripe for innovation much in the same way that industry giant Apple was back in 1998.

iMacs
Former Apple evangelist and Apple Fellow Guy Kawasaki. Image via Wikipedia.

In a post (via Android Authority) to the fan page for his books, Kawasaki revealed that he had accepted an advising position at Motorola. He will be focusing on product design, user interface, marketing, and social media.

"Motorola reminds me of the Apple of 1998," Kawasaki wrote, "a pioneer in its market segment, engineering-driven, and ripe for innovation. I believe that great products can change everything. For example, the creation of the iMac G3 [...] was a pivotal event for Apple."

Kawasaki was not a long-time employee of Apple, working with the company for a four-year stint beginning in 1983. He was, though, originally responsible for marketing the Macintosh in 1984. He left the company in 1987 to lead a software company, but returned in 1995 as an Apple Fellow, acknowledged as an individual who had made an extraordinary technical or leadership contribution to personal computing while at the company. The Apple Fellowship, so far, has only been awarded to nine individuals, including Kawasaki, Bill Atkinson, Steve Capps, Rich Page, and Steve Wozniak.

In joining Motorola as an adviser, Kawasaki will be taking part in an effort that Google hopes will revitalize the once-great cell phone manufacturer. Google is working on a supposedly game-changing phone with Motorola. Google's aim, reportedly, is to build Motorola into a more viable Android manufacturer, one that can serve as a counterbalance to Samsung's increasing sway over the Android ecosystem.
post #2 of 32

Sleeping with the enemy... :(

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #3 of 32

Bastard.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #4 of 32
Evangelist shmangelist, I am off to rip out all the pages he wrote in my collection of old Mac magazines from the 1980's and build a bonfire.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #5 of 32
Et tu, Brute....
post #6 of 32

Traitor! Off with his head.

post #7 of 32
I've been saving an "lolwut??" for most of the week.

I can pull it out now.

"Motorola reminds me of the Apple of 1998," Kawasaki wrote, "a pioneer in its market segment, engineering-driven, and ripe for innovation.
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Kawasaki was not a long-time employee of Apple, working with the company for a four-year stint beginning in 1983. He was, though, originally responsible for marketing the Macintosh in 1984. He left the company in 1987 to lead a software company, but returned in 1995 as an Apple Fellow, acknowledged as an individual who had made an extraordinary technical or leadership contribution to personal computing while at the company.

Huh? I thought Kawasaki was a developer evangelist, not in "marketing". Then, he was awarded an Apple Fellow position in 1995 because of those 4 years? Wow, 1995 was desperate times.

post #9 of 32

How long before Steve Wozniak follows Kawasaki down the same path?

post #10 of 32
What the heck? An old-school ex-Apple employee is never allowed to work for any non-Apple electronics company ever in their life?

I doubt Guy can do much to resurrect Motorola, but it would be nice to see what he can do. I love my iPhone to the max. However, my two favorite phones in the (way) past were motorola phones, the StarTac, and Razr. Sadly, that's the last time really they did anything.

Even if Guy does somehow reinvigorate Motorola's products, it will always be crippled by Android. Could have been good to use WebOS I think.

Good luck Guy. You're going to need it.
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

How long before Steve Wozniak follows Kawasaki down the same path?

The way old tubby mouths off I've been expecting him to turn up at Google or Samsung for a while. Don't get me wrong I have great respect for the Woz of the late 1970's early 80's but never understood why anything he said post 1984 was relevant.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google's aim, reportedly, is to build Motorola into a more viable Android manufacturer, one that can serve as a counterbalance to Samsung's increasing sway over the Android ecosystem.

They better hurry.

post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What the heck? An old-school ex-Apple employee is never allowed to work for any non-Apple electronics company ever in their life?

I doubt Guy can do much to resurrect Motorola, but it would be nice to see what he can do. I love my iPhone to the max. However, my two favorite phones in the (way) past were motorola phones, the StarTac, and Razr. Sadly, that's the last time really they did anything.

Even if Guy does somehow reinvigorate Motorola's products, it will always be crippled by Android. Could have been good to use WebOS I think.

Good luck Guy. You're going to need it.

I think we were all being semi humorous in our castigation. But any evangelist asks for a ribbing when he changes camps and goes to the opposition.

p.s. I had a Moto Brick phone. 1smile.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

Huh? I thought Kawasaki was a developer evangelist, not in "marketing". Then, he was awarded an Apple Fellow position in 1995 because of those 4 years? Wow, 1995 was desperate times.

Exactly.  I met and worked with Kawasaki when he was the developer evangelist way back when.  He is nothing special.  Typical silicone valley blow-hard wannabe.  Think Robert Cringely or John Dvork or Tim Bajarin.   All talk and no action.

Nothing to worry about here, he won't fix Motorola.

post #15 of 32

hmm

Edited by eksodos - 8/28/13 at 5:18pm
post #16 of 32
hmm

Edited by eksodos - 8/28/13 at 5:18pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Guy Kawasaki, former Apple evangelist, announced on Wednesday that he would be taking on an advising position at Google-owned Motorola, saying the troubled smartphone manufacturer is ripe for innovation much in the same way that industry giant Apple was back in 1998.

"Motorola reminds me of the Apple of 1998," Kawasaki wrote, "a pioneer in its market segment, engineering-driven, and ripe for innovation. I believe that great products can change everything. For example, the creation of the iMac G3 [...] was a pivotal event for Apple."

Jeeze, is everyone referring to Apple as the has-been of innovation?

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #18 of 32

Apparently Guy is a big Google+ fan and also wrote a book about it.

I think a lot of people are fans of both Apple and Google. I've been a big fan of Apple for years and also use a lot of Google services. It is too bad that the two companies are no longer on good terms.

Although I believe Google ripped off Apple when they created Android, I am more annoyed that they gave it to Samsung.

I bet Google regrets doing that now that they own Motorola.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 32

Et tu Brutus Guy?

post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Good luck to him. You can sense he's clearly still passionate about technology whenever you hear him speak.

I'm not understanding the idea that if you've done important work for Apple in the past you owe them your loyalty for life - regardless of your current employment and financial circumstances. Get real ffs.

I don't really respect people who work just for money, otherwise you're just a whore for hire.

I respect people who do exactly what they want to be doing, and who believe in what they are doing.

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't really respect people who work just for money, otherwise you're just a whore for hire.

I respect people who do exactly what they want to be doing, and who believe in what they are doing.

It's also okay to be paid well for doing something you like... which is what it sounds like he's doing.

post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

It's also okay to be paid well for doing something you like... which is what it sounds like he's doing.

I agree, if somebody is doing what they like to do, and they are getting paid in addition to that, then that is an ideal situation. 

I don't know if somebody really wants to work for Motorola though, or if that was their first choice, I doubt it.

post #23 of 32
Sweet.

Looks like the Titanic just hired a new violinist!
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
post #24 of 32
Guy moved on long time ago.
post #25 of 32
Considering after the merger Evangelists got the boot it should be clear Motorola is desperate to hire one. Guy wasn't around to see Apple rebuild.
post #26 of 32

It's a free country, but having been one of his "soldiers" on the EvangeList it's hard to swallow. It's one thing to simply work for a company, but when you are leading a mission to convert, it's a little different. Imagine John the Baptist deciding later in life to promote Judaism. How would those he evangelized feel then? Hoodwinked?

A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

Exactly.  I met and worked with Kawasaki when he was the developer evangelist way back when.  He is nothing special.  Typical silicone valley blow-hard wannabe.  Think Robert Cringely or John Dvork or Tim Bajarin.   All talk and no action.

Nothing to worry about here, he won't fix Motorola.

His hiring indicates that the current shills leave room for improvement. Maybe they should worry a little.
post #28 of 32
Quote:

I agree, if somebody is doing what they like to do, and they are getting paid in addition to that, then that is an ideal situation. 

Agreed.

I don't know if somebody really wants to work for Motorola though, or if that was their first choice, I doubt it.

Okay, that made me chuckle... because it's true.  Motorola used to be a hot place to work for, but not so much nowadays, especially with layoffs and Google managers coming in.

So... why on earth would he jump into such a situation?   It makes me wonder if Google has more cool hardware projects up their sleeve than we know about, and he wants in on them.  Interesting.

post #29 of 32
Quote:

Some people want to work for a successful company. Some people want to work to make a company successful. He's probably getting a lot more say into how things are run at Motorola. Good luck to him, he's going to need it.

post #30 of 32

This kind of story has a wow factor of a couple of days, tops, but the Googloids at Motorola will always think of him as "that Apple guy".

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #31 of 32

I wonder how long it will take to shred my copy of "Mac Way."

post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

John the Baptist never abandoned Judaism, but merely had some suggestions of who the messiah was, the split came later.

The Judaism of his day certainly abandoned him!  1eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I am not quite sure what the right analogy is here, since note that Kawasaki is not evangelizing Google, but Motorola.

A distinction without a difference.  Evangelizing Motorola is evangelizing Android, which is Google.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ex-Apple marketing guru Kawasaki signs on as Motorola consultant