or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to ship 'iPhone 5S' and more affordable iPhone in August 2013

Rumor: Apple to ship 'iPhone 5S' and more affordable iPhone in August 2013

post #1 of 35
Apple reportedly plans to build a more affordable iPhone model this August alongside launch a new world mode "iPhone 5S" featuring compatibility with China Mobile, the largest carrier in the world.

The details were reported on Friday by Chinese tech news site EMSOne (translation), which cited analysts from Barclays Capital. It claimed that a "cheap edition" of the iPhone will be built this year by both Foxconn, Apple's usual manufacturing partner, as well as Pegatron.

iPhones

The report suggests that Foxconn will also be the exclusive manufacturer of Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S." It was not indicated that Pegatron had received any orders for the company's next flagship handset.

Unlike the current iPhone 5, which requires different models for separate carriers with unique LTE frequencies, the so-called "iPhone 5S" is expected to be a world phone that will add compatibility with new carriers, including China Mobile.

That ability could be aided by Qualcomm's latest LTE chipset, which operates on 40 bands, including all existing LTE networks. China Mobile, which has nearly 700 million total subscribers, utilizes an obscure TD-SCDMA network that is incompatible with the current iPhone 5.

As for the cheaper iPhone, Friday's report claimed it will not be a world phone, and will only support the frequency division duplex (FDD) flavor of LTE. China Mobile's network uses time division duplexing (TDD) for its LTE network.

The report comes on the heels of a separate one out of Japan issued on Thursday, which claimed that Apple is planning to cut costs by building its next iPhone out of polycarbonate, similar to the company's retired white MacBook. It was said that Apple plans to charge around $330 without a service contract for its entry-level iPhone.
post #2 of 35

Ahhh....another day, another cheap iPhone rumor. Eventually someone will be right because we have just about every month between now and the end of 2014. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #3 of 35
I'm kind of hoping for mobile purchasing from the 5S
post #4 of 35

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

...Just for arguments sake, if Apple were to make a low end phone (and I sincerely doubt it) I couldn't see it being priced at anything less than $250; its sales would be pretty much limited to China, Southeast Asia, Africa, and Indian sub-continent; and Apple might use some less expensive material but not plastic.

IF, IF, IF...this comes to pass, I think I nailed it last week.1smoking.gif

Thread - Apple likely to debut $199 iPhone as low-cost smartphone market hits $135B in 2013 (February 20, 2013)

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #5 of 35

But I thought the cheaper plastic iPhone wasn't coming until 2014.  Isn't that what we were told yesterday? 1confused.gif

post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Ahhh....another day, another cheap iPhone rumor. Eventually someone will be right because we have just about every month between now and the end of 2014. 

Why bother reading or commenting then?

post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Is it the iPhone or the rumor that's cheap?  1tongue.gif

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Why bother reading or commenting then?

There are rules??!!

WTF! How come I didn't get the memo?!

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #9 of 35
I think a cheaper iPhone for emerging markets makes sense, but I was hoping for a bigger screened iPhone this year. Oh well maybe next year.
post #10 of 35

If the price is going to be $330 why bother?

They could easily sell the iPhone 4 for that price this year, and I'm sure the 4 will look far classier than some cheap plastic phone.

iPhone 4: $299

iPhone 4S: $399

iPhone 5: $549

iPhone 5S: $649

There are plenty of people that will still buy the iPhone 4, especially in parts of the world where the iPhone isn't popular because of price. The 4 is still far better than most low end smartphone.

post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There are rules??!!

WTF! How come I didn't get the memo?!

I guess so...I'll have to check the AppleInsider Monthly Bulletin which came out yesterday. 

post #12 of 35
Meanwhile, AAPL is down another 2% today.

Some analyst posted some nonsense about the smartphone market being saturated implying that there's no more money to be made. I guess GM, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc all need to get out of the auto business because it's saturated, too.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Meanwhile, AAPL is down another 2% today.

Some analyst posted some nonsense about the smartphone market being saturated implying that there's no more money to be made. I guess GM, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc all need to get out of the auto business because it's saturated, too.

Well, it's a good thing the rumor didn't say "a completely redesigned iPhone 6" or the stock would be down 4%.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #14 of 35

Absolutely correct, except it might be in September.

Apple will ship the iPhone 5S.

And the 'more affordable' iPhone 5.

Tah-Dah!

post #15 of 35
Or, I could just buy some more calls and AAPL will go to $375 for sure, and quickly.
post #16 of 35
I don't think there's a point in making a cheaper iPhone out of plastic when they can just use previous gen iphones for emerging markets. Going cheaper for cheaps sake is not the solution. Now I'm really looking forward to the upcoming rumored iPhone 6 with the 5 inch screen.
post #17 of 35
I wonder when Apple will release an iPhone that looks as different and fresh as the iPhone 4 did compared to the iPhone 3GS.

The iPhone updates seem to have moved from being exciting to a more MacBook like style of steady by the numbers internal updates.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and have owned every model released up to the 4S. I just miss the excitement that I used to feel leading up to each iPhone keynote & release.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #18 of 35
I am suddenly reminded of the WSJ story on a drop in orders for the iPhone screens from sharp in the news recently before the earnings announcement and on the day before options expiration. I feel like an idiot for not realizing that this may well have been a "correct rumor" because Apple was just starting the process of running on 6 month updates to the iPhone rather than the annual refresh that gave Samsung so much traction with it's S3 handset. The simplest explanation is that Apple had not redone it's contract with Sharp to prepare for this change until after they had started spending the Cap Ex for the changes just in case there were problems ramping up the next phone on an earlier schedule. The reason 65 million was the original number was the contract was for the next year. If a 5s iPhone was coming out earlier with a new screen then the need for that many screens from Sharp could be reasonably reduced by Apple. A competing less expensive model would also reduce demand. Apple has lots going on that will not be telegraphed until the appropriate time. I think Samsung has done a good job of recognizing the markets that the iPhone is not addressing and taking market share away from Apple.

I still feel that there was some real connection between some individuals who trade Apple and who took advantage of the situation to make themselves some easy money. Apple's refusal to pre announce their products makes them a good target for this kind of manipulation. It would really be nice if the SEC had enough teeth to stop that kind of thing. I would imagine that all it would take is one text to the right people and big money could be made. Especially if the information was in essence correct. The most artful way to lie is to tell the truth in such a way as to not be believed by the opposition. This is a good example of that kind of work.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

If the price is going to be $330 why bother?

They could easily sell the iPhone 4 for that price this year, and I'm sure the 4 will look far classier than some cheap plastic phone.

There are plenty of people that will still buy the iPhone 4, especially in parts of the world where the iPhone isn't popular because of price. The 4 is still far better than most low end smartphone.

Three letters:  L.T.E.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #20 of 35

Meh. I will hold out for the iPhone Math.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

IF, IF, IF...this comes to pass, I think I nailed it last week.1smoking.gif

Thread - Apple likely to debut $199 iPhone as low-cost smartphone market hits $135B in 2013 (February 20, 2013)

That's been my take on it but I think it's possible that China Mobile could get an exclusivity on it at first as I think a huge reason for this device being built is to satisfy the world's largest carrier.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Three letters:  L.T.E.

If we're talking about a cheap phone for financially weaker markets then LTE doesn't seem likely to me; at least not at first. Much of those markets simply don't have LTE established in any significant way to make that additional cost per handset a viable option right now.

post #23 of 35
Well, it's a good thing the rumor didn't say "a completely redesigned iPhone 6" or the stock would be down 4%.

Don't be silly. 6 doesn't come after 5.

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Do you really want Apple to have to gimp iOS 8 for the sake of the iPhone 4's pathetic hardware?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you really want Apple to have to gimp iOS 8 for the sake of the iPhone 4's pathetic hardware?

One could argue that Apple doesn't have to sell the older iPhone and give it any updates, as this is overwhelmingly common with Android, but so far there is no precedence from Apple to support that idea.

post #25 of 35
i think these analysts are spreading these rumors to slow down iphone sales in the june qtr to "prove" the iphone5 sales are slowing down.
post #26 of 35
I don't think they will call it the 5S, it's too predictable. Call it the 5C and give it some color options.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #27 of 35

No way to confirm. Still to early. 

post #28 of 35
A sub $400 phone would be nice. But I doubt that will happen. If Apple does do this i would personally hope it's the same screen size as the 4s. I for one am not a fan of the larger screens. Gonna hold out an upgrade to see if they come out with a better performance phone with the 4/4s screen size. Rumors rumors!
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest01 View Post

I don't think there's a point in making a cheaper iPhone out of plastic when they can just use previous gen iphones for emerging markets. Going cheaper for cheaps sake is not the solution. Now I'm really looking forward to the upcoming rumored iPhone 6 with the 5 inch screen.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you are saying the cheaper phones would be for emerging markets. If so, what about a cheaper option for the US market? There is a large part of our own market that can't afford an iPhone. As for Apple, the thought is probably higher margins and larger profits.
post #30 of 35
Originally Posted by WmL44039 View Post
If so, what about a cheaper option for the US market? There is a large part of our own market that can't afford an iPhone.

Who the frick is that? No, seriously, there are teenagers on welfare who have iPhones. There's no one in the US who can't actually afford one if they're so inclined. The goodness of the inclination is all that matters.

post #31 of 35
First there were 4.3" Screen, Now they talked about 4.5". Then the cheaper iPhone.

I mean analyst putting BS out and drive stock price down, how is that even*(&^!@ legal.
post #32 of 35
>blackbook 2013/03/01 09:34am
>The 4 is still far better than most low end smartphone.

Yes I'm very happy with my iPhone 4. At the end of my contract it will be sad to move to 5 or 6.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

First there were 4.3" Screen, Now they talked about 4.5". Then the cheaper iPhone.

I mean analyst putting BS out and drive stock price down, how is that even*(&^!@ legal.

They predict like playing roulette. They put chips down to cover nearly the entire board then jump up and down when they are proved accurate by reducing the odds of being wring to nearly zero.

post #34 of 35
Quote:

Right ... Or that all other phone makers had closed down and Microsoft and Google were throwing in the towel, AAPL would tank on the news as Wall Street would say Apple would be overwhelmed. 1oyvey.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They predict like playing roulette. They put chips down to cover nearly the entire board then jump up and down when they are proved accurate by reducing the odds of being wring to nearly zero.

You've been peaking at the lesson notes from the online 'Idiots guide to being an analyst' used by 99% of them, haven't you? 1biggrin.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Apple to ship 'iPhone 5S' and more affordable iPhone in August 2013
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to ship 'iPhone 5S' and more affordable iPhone in August 2013