or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Arkansas State's 'iPad Initiative' will require all incoming students to have Apple's tablet

Arkansas State's 'iPad Initiative' will require all incoming students to have Apple's tablet - Page 2

post #41 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

This puts the school in some dangerous waters. Most schools do not require even computers majority of the schools have at least a 24/7 computer lab for students. Requiring students to purchase a non-academically required item (as opposed to note books, writing utensils  and paper). 

Here's the deal, many Us do require computers simply because they don't have the space for computer labs for the majority of their students.
Quote:

Most colleges issue test on Scantrons. Are you aware what you use to inter your answer on a Scantron. Its not a text message. And I would like to you to go to one single American University where there is not one professor who bans the use of computers from there lectures. In those lectures what does one take notes on? I had two professors like this. In fact when it comes to note taking its better to write it out then to type it out. Most students end up going to facebook and the computer becomes more of a distraction then a tool for them. Seriously go to the closest College in your area go to a large lecture and see how many of the computers are on facebook and not typing out notes. 

It depends on the courses. My engineering and comp sci classes don't use multiple guess questions.
post #42 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Funny? You find state mandated vendor lock-in funny? I hear North Korea is wonderful -- Dennis Rodman really likes it, I am sure you will too.

Funny how it was "perfectly reasonable" when Microsoft had a lock on the schools and businesses and people couldn't get a Mac if they wanted it. It was the right thing because standardization was so important and having multiple platforms increased costs (even though the data indicated that this claim was false).

Now that Apple is the standard, standardization is evil and people should be able to buy whatever they want.

What a difference a decade makes.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #43 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny how it was "perfectly reasonable" when Microsoft had a lock on the schools and businesses and people couldn't get a Mac if they wanted it. It was the right thing because standardization was so important and having multiple platforms increased costs (even though the data indicated that this claim was false).

Now that Apple is the standard, standardization is evil and people should be able to buy whatever they want.

I personally dislike all of the low to no competition the big three tech companies have. Microsoft in office, Apple in Tablets, Google in search. Its not great but we all find ourselves trying the competition and coming right back. From the competition we go back due the feeling unfamiliar with the different product (in the case of google search) or the product being vastly inferior (Tablets and Office)

post #44 of 102

Most colleges issue test on Scantrons. Are you aware what you use to inter your answer on a Scantron. Its not a text message. And I would like to you to go to one single American University where there is not one professor who bans the use of computers from there lectures. In those lectures what does one take notes on? I had two professors like this. In fact when it comes to note taking its better to write it out then to type it out. Most students end up going to facebook and the computer becomes more of a distraction then a tool for them. Seriously go to the closest College in your area go to a large lecture and see how many of the computers are on facebook and not typing out notes. 

enter, ?, it's, their, than, than.

Some students prefer typing/tapping notes, and some just listen to lectures.

I would suggest worrying more about your own education, rather than what your peers are doing.

Students choose and pay to attend college. Unless they are distracting other students (luddites notwithstanding), they can choose how to spend their time. It doesn't mean we should ban the most revolutionary learning tool in a decade because a few people misuse it. That's the tech equivalent of gun control, or at least what gun nuts think gun control means.

[this account has been abandoned]

post #45 of 102

enter, ?, it's, their, than, than.

Some students prefer typing/tapping notes, and some just listen to lectures.

I would suggest worrying more about your own education, rather than what your peers are doing.

Students choose and pay to attend college. Unless they are distracting other students (luddites notwithstanding), they can choose how to spend their time. It doesn't mean we should ban the most revolutionary learning tool in a decade because a few people misuse it. That's the tech equivalent of gun control, or at least what gun nuts think gun control means.

post #46 of 102
Quote:

In my post I stated that a student can go to the campus library and check the books out. Me and my friends saved hundreds of dollars a year by doing this. 

What a silly way to try to get an education. So you're going to spend $20 K on tuition and then get a crappy education because you want to save a couple hundred dollars on books? Not to mention, of course, that it's not really practical since you can probably only keep the book for a couple of weeks with maybe one renewal so you don't have it for the entire semester, anyway.

Quote:

Most colleges issue test on Scantrons.

Your evidence for that?

In all my years in college, teaching at colleges, and kids in school, I saw tests administered by Scantron only a couple of times - at most.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #47 of 102
My very personal opinion is that this is a scandal.

A University, which represents, in my opinion, the right for anyone to access KNOWLEDGE, suddenly makes it mandatory to use the product of a given CORPORATION?

And then what's next? Tomorrow, only people driving BMWs can go to the MIT? Only people eating Quaker Oats are allowed in Harvard?

What the fucking ****, really.

As Apple][ puts it: "these people will now be forced to use an iPad, they have no choice".
I don't find it funny at all. We are just out of a world where Microsoft cunningly "forced" people to use Windows, but at least it wasn't mandatory to use Windows to go to University.

Apple][, would you also find it "funny" if say, UCLA, or MIT, or Harvard, tomorrow, forced students to use Samsung Galaxy Tabs? Very funny? I did not think so either.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #48 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkfeend View Post

I am the director of technology at a private school (etc)

"Private School", that's fine by me.

Universities are my concern.

post #49 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Don't forget than when ODF was standardized, Microsoft had another (DOCX) system 'standardized' in very debatable conditions. Now, that was an interesting definition of "using standards".

post #50 of 102

Wait wait, so "fucking" is allowed, but "f-u-c-k" is a sequence of letters that is banned? Ai, logical thinking please.

Also, f-u-c-k is not allowed, but "gun", or "murder", or "God" is allowed. This really will always shock me, that some people may consider a good and natural act as offensive, but absurd beliefs such as "Jesus came to save us all" isn't offensive, or "people should have a right to carry guns" is not offensive.

Why is even banning "f-u-c-k" legal in the USA, isn't that a breach of the 2nd amendment?

post #51 of 102
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
As Apple][ puts it: "these people will now be forced to use an iPad, they have no choice".
I don't find it funny at all. We are just out of a world where Microsoft cunningly "forced" people to use Windows, but at least it wasn't mandatory to use Windows to go to University.

Funny, this isn't the case now of Apple.

Wait wait, so "fucking" is allowed, but "f-u-c-k" is a sequence of letters that is banned? Ai, logical thinking please.

Hey, we'd prefer no filters. Huddler just has to update their settings.

Why is even banning "f-u-c-k" legal in the USA, isn't that a breach of the 2nd amendment?

Of course not. It's not even a breach of the first.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #52 of 102
Quote:

My very personal opinion is that this is a scandal.

A University, which represents, in my opinion, the right for anyone to access KNOWLEDGE, suddenly makes it mandatory to use the product of a given CORPORATION?

The University isn't forcing you to enroll. Don't want to learn by iPad? Don't apply.
post #53 of 102
Quote:

What does the 2nd Amendment have to do with your choice of language (versus your right to bear arms)? Why should a private website such as AI be forced to air your choice of language? The 1st Amendment gave you freedom of speech against the government. It also gives AI the right to associate or, as in this case, disassociate from you.
post #54 of 102
Quote:

In my post I stated that a student can go to the campus library and check the books out. Me and my friends saved hundreds of dollars a year by doing this. 

"Me and my friends"? You should have bought the English grammar book ... and used it.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #55 of 102
Yes, and if the university does not like people of your skin color, just go to a different one!

Enough of this nonsense. Many colleges have always had soft forced requirements for the computing utilities of a specific major.

For example, there are colleges whose majors require the use of certain Windows-only software. So the student is forced to buy Windows, even if they don't want it, to take that major. 

This was NEVER an issue when music collages required MacBooks (well, iBooks) for their students. Now it's magically an "issue" with the iPad? 

post #56 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Problem is that he's not the only one saying it.

Still doesn't  make it correct

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #57 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see why these follow. Not allowing trolls ≠ everyone agrees.

I agree, to a point. 

If someone is here to have a real discussion great.

if they are here to call folks stupid or just reply 'get an Android' to everything, then on my ignore list they go. I just wish that the system also hid replies to them and even blocked them from replying to me. So they would be truly invisible to me. 

post #58 of 102
Quote:

As I said there is nothing that is required for school that will set a student back more than a hundred dollars (a graphing calculator). 

Maybe in the 1950s when you were in school, but not now.

At this school an iPad is required. Period. So it is not an 'unnecessary cost'. You don't like that, don't go there. There are hundreds of other schools to choose from. 

post #59 of 102
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

…and even blocked them from replying to me.

Hmm, that's interesting… I like that thought.

post #60 of 102
Quote:

Funny, this isn't the case now of Apple.

Hey, we'd prefer no filters. Huddler just has to update their settings.

Of course not. It's not even a breach of the first.

No joke. Folks have options. You can pick what school you go to, apply to, etc. You don't like that a school demands you have an iPad, go somewhere else. 

When I was applying to Uni I knew that I wanted to go into film. Particularly editing etc. One of my possible schools, I came to discover had moved to only teaching AVID and Premiere/After Effects, no Apple computers anywhere on campus. And since all the courses required you to turn in your work documents and not just the final product I could just cheat and do it in FCP/Motion/Shake on my own gear. So off the list that school went. 

Was my final choice of schools a determent to my career? Nope. I still managed to finish in 3 yrs (I went during summer and intercessions), still got into grad school at USC, got a very nice internship in an editing house that turned into a job. And didn't go to that more renowned school that would have barred me from using particular equipment and software because they didn't want to maintain two labs etc

post #61 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156257/arkansas-states-ipad-initiative-will-require-all-incoming-students-to-have-apples-tablet#post_2286561"]What brings down the site is Fandroid infiltrators who have no business here.

Just think of me as Fandroid repellent, that is my goal.

One word: delusional.

Which pretty much describes what I'm thinking of you right now.
post #62 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The University isn't forcing you to enroll. Don't want to learn by iPad? Don't apply.

Bingo.

Much as I'm concerned, this pretty much ends this discussion.

People are so often moppets, and quantity of bias can be staggering. In line of quantity of stupidity. If Uni has educational material already released (or being developed) through iPad apps - and I would expect at least some of material will be/is highly interactive, not just a generic PDFs - what would be a point of insisting on different device where all that material cannot be used? How many intelligent young people would still insist of using Android/Windows tablet for pure fanboy sentiments and, in the process, badly handicap themselves in things that matter - as in, learning?

In my head, not a single one.

As of those who do go to Uni for all the wrong reasons, well they will do everyone a favour for opting out and leaving more space for those with right reasons...
post #63 of 102
Just because it was done before (and doubtlessly will be done again) does not make it right.

Your implication that it's in any way "wrong" is completely wrong, is what we're saying.

post #64 of 102
Is that a royal "we"?

We as in there's nothing illegal about it because either a bunch of people got together and decided there wouldn't be a law against it or a bunch of people didn't get together and decide there should be a law against it. Yes, that we.

post #65 of 102
Quote:

Yes, and if the university does not like people of your skin color, just go to a different one!

That is the worst analogy ever used. We have laws concerning race, religion, gender, etc. We don't have laws concerning what tech you use. If the app is iOS only, good luck with an android.
post #66 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I just wish that the system also hid replies to them and even blocked them from replying to me. So they would be truly invisible to me. 

I find this useful.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

//Create a Bookmark and paste the following code into the address field

[CODE]

javascript: (function() { var ass = 'Apple v. Samsung';var uid = '107904';var theQuotes = document.getElementsByClassName('quote-block');for (var i = 0; i < theQuotes.length; i++) { var str = theQuotes[i].innerHTML; if (str.indexOf('Originally Posted by <strong>'+ass+'</strong>') >= 0) { theQuotes[i].innerHTML = '<span style=\'color:red;font=family:Arial;\'>BLOCKED</span>'; }}var thePosts = document.getElementsByClassName('single-post mod-select-parent status_115 user-id-'+uid+' left-post-container');for (var i = 0; i < thePosts.length; i++) { var str = thePosts[i].innerHTML; if (str.indexOf('rel="nofollow">'+ass+'</a') >= 0) { thePosts[i].innerHTML = '<span style=\'color:red;font=family:Arial;\'>BLOCKED</span>';  }}})() 

[/CODE]

The var 'ass' and 'uid' are the values you can change depending on who you want to block.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #67 of 102
Quote:

Wow, "the worst analogy ever used", strong words. Do you have any idea WHY they need iPads? I quote from the article:

The iPad's videoconferencing capabilities allow for remote observation and more immediate feedback than was previously possible, according to Hogue.

Can you name a tablet that does NOT have videoconferencing capabilities? I am a university professor, many of my colleagues (who actually use primarily Apple hardware) videoconference, and they tell me that Google+ hangout is the most reliable thing out there. For that matter, this will work fine on (ahem) an android phone [worse on an iPhone, since that has a smaller screen, but that will work too].

Otherwise, I know many students who survive primarily on ramen noodles, so forcing them to spend money on another device is quite irresponsible, especially since most of them do have smartphones already. Vendor lockin (again) is horrible idea. Notice that software like Skype and Google hangout, while proprietary, is at least free and works on essentially every piece of hardware you can buy today, including phones and laptops and every possible brand of tablet. 

Oh OK, I missed that part. Is video conferencing sole reason why this Uni insists on iPads? If it is, I completely agree with you.

But if, as I stated in my previous post, there is a number of interactive apps developed for this Uni courses and they are not available on other platforms, then... iPad it is. I would expect something like that, to be honest - cannot believe an academic institution is making completely silly requirement out of nowhere. If they are, I would consider different Uni not because of iPad requirement as per se, but because of stupidity of insisting on iPad for no valid reason - can I trust those people to meaningfully educate me/my kids?

Additional question would be, will students get some discount in purchasing iPad, and will iPad road pay back in reducing price of eBooks vs. paper books?
post #68 of 102
Quote:

The iPad's videoconferencing capabilities allow for remote observation and more immediate feedback than was previously possible, according to Hogue.

I think there is probably more to the story than what is being said in the article. Sure there are cross platform video conferencing applications but perhaps they are looking at long term solutions and plan to use iOS as the standardized platform for iBook Author and other apps that are not so platform agnostic. Personally I would rather see the focus on in browser applications that were not as proprietary. I think Black Board is still quite a popular application for college level cirriculum but I was having a very difficult time accessing their site to do research on whether they have a mobile app or not. Black Board is designed to integrate with the university's main network student login so it becomes part of the overall network access and not a separate parallel platform. 

Edited by mstone - 3/3/13 at 8:36pm

post #69 of 102

IMO if schools want a 'standard' piece of technology, they should go the free route.  A Linux distribution on laptops, standard open-source formats, and all free tools (Firefox, Libre Office, Emacs, etc...).  Schools supporting specific vendors, whether it be Apple, MS or Google IMO goes against the values most Universities stand for...

post #70 of 102
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
Schools supporting specific vendors, whether it be Apple, MS or Google IMO goes against the values most Universities stand for...

What values are those, having the worst tools for the job possible even while better solutions exist?

post #71 of 102
Quote:

What values are those, having the worst tools for the job possible even while better solutions exist?

Please, Linux-based solutions power most critical infrastructure - airports, stock exchanges, military equipment and infrastructure, etc...  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/08/us_navy_linux_drones/

Windows is crap and everyone knows it, I've seen brand new Windows 8 PCs at the store with the infamous blue screen of death on display...  Apple OSX is decent, but closed, with expensive and limited hardware.  What do most distributed systems and supercomputers use?  Linux of course.  

And I don't know if you've ever coded or not, but Linux has the best tools by far for that.  I use them everyday to manage information and data that I use to make decisions about trading stocks... 

But anyhow, University is supposed to be about propagating knowledge, not pushing specific commercial products.  

post #72 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

It is ironic you cant develop apps for an iPad on an iPad.

That's Apple's secret weapon for selling MBP's shhhhh ....
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #73 of 102
Quote:

Oh you bring back bad memories of my English University days ... If I added up all the hours walking to and from, plus those spent in the Library ... then add in the time in the Library trying to find the bloody book I wanted in the bloody library ... OMG it would almost equal the time spent in the University bar* for cripe's sake! Look at how much drinking time you save using an iPad! Genius pure genius.

* foot note for Americans ... age drinking allowed is 18 (as well as dying in the army) in civilized countries. 1tongue.gif
post #74 of 102
Quote:

I agree with much, but not all of this. Firstly, Windows has, historically, been crap, but Win 7/8 is a major leap forward stability-wise (and the UI is quite nice as well now -- it only took them 25 years...), and the windows programming tools are very good IF you like the Windows programming model (everything in one address space). I don't particularly. OS X has pretty much the same tools as linux for programming, but Apple laptops had historically come ready to work out of the box (and the hardware is nice, if expensive) -- linux laptops had been a bit painful, which is why most unix hacks switched to apple hardware, laptop-wise.

Linux on laptops can be completely painless if you do a little research beforehand, and it actually runs very well on Mac hardware, especially the Macbook Air.  I also know people running Linux on the new retina Macbooks.  Thinkpads (IBM and now Lenovo) tend to do very well with Linux as well.  

Windows programming tools are nice if you program in C++, C#, Visual Basic and ASP.NET, or if you're making Windows apps.  Trying to install a nice environment for non-MS approved languages on Windows is a huge pain.  It is (W7) quite stable, but slow, updates still annoy me, and I find MS Office 2010 likes to crash constantly...  

Assuming your system uses hardware that plays nice with Linux, setting up programming environments, servers, virtual systems, cloud infrastructure, etc..., is trivial.  I've got an old box that I set up to be a cloud storage server, with a desktop environment easy enough for my wife to use for things like Skype, and syncing her iPhone.  It's been up for months, in fact, it's never gone done, except when I update the kernel.

OSX is a decently nice system, I'll give you that, it has all the POSIX tools and it has most of the same benefits that Linux does.   Only downside is the restrictive license, and managing dependencies can be slightly tougher on occasion (which is offset by the ready to go working OS).  

And finally, keep in mind I'm a finance guy, not a developer.  I do program, but only tools for myself (in Ruby and Common Lisp), so while I'm tech savvy, I'm far from a professional...

post #75 of 102
Quote:

Well, I used to hate Windows (my first serious programming language was scheme, and Windows is sort of the antithesis of that kind of minimalism), and only started using it when I became involved in finance (Office and Bloomberg) -- all of my actual "IP" is python/awk/sqlite/a bit of java (all of it lives happily on my linux server. Still, UI-wise I would say that Windows 7/8 has pretty much caught up with OS X (I know it's anathema to say this here...), and F# is quite nice.. It is true that Thinkpads have always worked well with linux, and I certainly know people who run windows on linux boxen in VirtualBox, or whatever virtual thing floats your boat.

Common Lisp is pretty unusual these days. Does it have all the libraries you might need?

Common Lisp does have everything I need.  Github and Quicklisp make sharing, finding and installing libraries and tools as easy in CL as it is in Ruby (which I started with, still use for scripting and other things)...  And of course SBCL + SLIME is an incredible environment...  It also seems as though CL has been taken up by quite a few people of my generation (I'm quite young), so the amount of libraries out there written in the last several years is quite significant.

UI-wise, I hate to say it, but I really like Gnome 3 (Shell).  

post #76 of 102
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

But anyhow, University is supposed to be about propagating knowledge, not pushing specific commercial products.  

How about when the knowledge can only be imparted by using a specific device, regardless of the manufacturer?

post #77 of 102
Quote:

Wow, "the worst analogy ever used", strong words. Do you have any idea WHY they need iPads? I quote from the article:

Can you name a tablet that does NOT have videoconferencing capabilities? I am a university professor, many of my colleagues (who actually use primarily Apple hardware) videoconference, and they tell me that Google+ hangout is the most reliable thing out there. For that matter, this will work fine on (ahem) an android phone [worse on an iPhone, since that has a smaller screen, but that will work too].

Otherwise, I know many students who survive primarily on ramen noodles, so forcing them to spend money on another device is quite irresponsible, especially since most of them do have smartphones already. Vendor lockin (again) is horrible idea. Notice that software like Skype and Google hangout, while proprietary, is at least free and works on essentially every piece of hardware you can buy today, including phones and laptops and every possible brand of tablet. 

So now you're going to force people to get a Google+ account? What next, having class use a specific text book to learn? Oh wait, that exists already.

If they can afford the tuition, they can get an iPad.
post #78 of 102
How about you give  an example of when this is actually the case?

Here's one.

post #79 of 102
Quote:

I should note that the textbook racket is about the most disgusting racket there is. I am a mathematics professor, among other things, and I can assure you that calculus has not changed much in the last two hundred years. This does not prevent publishers from coming out with a new incompatible edition of their calculus book every couple of years. Why can they get away with it? You guessed it -- vendor lock-in...

While I agree with the text book racket, they do have to make money. Sci and engineering students are ripped off the most.
post #80 of 102
This is a link to he root article of this discussion

Now you're getting it. They've deemed the iPad the only device capable of serving up what they want. 

I fear you will have to do better...

Nah, you can go ahead and leave those goalposts where they are, thanks.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Arkansas State's 'iPad Initiative' will require all incoming students to have Apple's tablet
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Arkansas State's 'iPad Initiative' will require all incoming students to have Apple's tablet