or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's shipping times for both 21.5" & 27" iMac improve to 1-3 days

Apple's shipping times for both 21.5" & 27" iMac improve to 1-3 days - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OMG ... that is a really bad design slip from a certain somebody isn't it? I loved my two 30" ACD side by side when i had them. It was a wall of pure magic, had there been such a disjointed look it would have ruined the aesthetics.

1. I know; they could've simply made the 27" display stand a bit higher so the top of the two would align.

2. I would've bought a 2nd 30" if my desk was large enough, though I have no real need for it. A new, and larger cinema display from Apple is what I'm hoping for. Funny enough, I don't like my 37" TV as I think it's too big. Go figure...(but I'm a strange guy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am holding out for the next AirPort routers. I might get a Time Capsule.

I would advise against that, unless you hook it up by wire. On WiFi a backup will take 'too' long if it needs to backup large files. YMMV.
Quote:
I'm foolishly waiting for Apple to move the iTunes hub from being in a Mac/PC to being a proper networked iOS-based Home Server that can store all content for all users, grab updates for registered iDevices (once), and other nifty features that Home Servers have.

MS actually has a pretty decent solution and many vendors that use their Home Server have included options for allowing your Mac to use it for Time Machine backups.

I agree that the competitors' Home Server options are nice and really hope Apple would do a thing like that. Personally I'd like to see it added to the Apple TV so that the large video files don't need to go over WiFi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Didn't Jobs say that the iMac was no longer the digital hub?

Yep, but I think he therefore wanted iCloud. Somehow I see him wanting to 'get rid of everything; it just works' - so kind of a less devices is better. Not very business wise, but sells iOS devices nonetheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Interesting to note that the Finder was much faster on the copy to striped RAID.

It's good to see these figures, thanks. The Finder obviously was innovated over the years, not simply refined and made faster. How I like to think back to the days of OSX 10.0, and happy to see way less FFF posts.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's good to see these figures, thanks. The Finder obviously was innovated over the years, not simply refined and made faster. How I like to think back to the days of OSX 10.0, and happy to see way less FFF posts.

Another test:

Transcend 1TB portable USB3

Needs formatting for Mac

That down, off to the testing using the same 20GB folder as above:

Using two cables connected to the iMac got slightly better performance than a single cable (the cable comes this way).

Intego (two cables) = 3min 51sec (avg 90MB/sec)

Finder (two cables) = 3min 22sec

Intego (one cable) = 4min 3sec (forgot to watch for the avg)

Finder (one cable) = 3min 26sc

This drive is whisper quiet, boots up almost instantly and is pretty small.  And it's cheaper than my desktop WD USB3 drive.  I got it to back up essential data to store off site (I live in Japan and Monday marks two years since the tsunami disaster).

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #43 of 50
Quote:

Another test:

Good post! Thanks much. That drive even looks cool
post #44 of 50

Whoa!   The disk that I originally thought was faster than TB... Well, it didn't work with Time Machine so I took it back and got a replacement today... got home and ran a first test...  Drum roll...

LaCie minimus  USB3 2TB

for about 120 bucks

Intego  2min 48sec  (avg 124MB/sec)

Finder  2min 31sec

This means it is faster than the TB mirrored RAID set I have.  1eek.gif

I'm running a 559GB backup now and will then run the 20GB test again (the other disks are pretty much in that state).

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10518

Edited by Bergermeister - 3/9/13 at 2:19am

post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good post! Thanks much. That drive even looks cool

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B005MNGQ6C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1362824025&sr=8-9&keywords=transcend+USB3

post #46 of 50
Quote:

This means it is faster than the TB mirrored RAID set I have.  1eek.gif

The performance difference won't be due to the interface though. Both USB3 and Thunderbolt speeds are far in excess of the drive speeds. Thunderbolt is around 1.25GB/s and USB 3 is around 625MB/s. Hard drive speeds are much less than that so the difference you'd be seeing is in the drive quality e.g platter density and spindle speed (5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm, some have variable spindle speeds). Also mirrored RAID is likely a little slower as it has to sync two copies. You'd only see the benefit of Thunderbolt on an SSD or RAID setup that topped 625MB/s transfer speeds, which isn't common. With a Pegasus R4 with SSDs, it's possible to top 900MB/s, which isn't achievable with USB 3:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Thunderbolt-Windows-ASUS-P8Z77-V-Premium-Pegasus-R4-and-Apple-Thunderbolt-Dis-4
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The performance difference won't be due to the interface though. Both USB3 and Thunderbolt speeds are far in excess of the drive speeds. Thunderbolt is around 1.25GB/s and USB 3 is around 625MB/s. Hard drive speeds are much less than that so the difference you'd be seeing is in the drive quality e.g platter density and spindle speed (5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm, some have variable spindle speeds). Also mirrored RAID is likely a little slower as it has to sync two copies. You'd only see the benefit of Thunderbolt on an SSD or RAID setup that topped 625MB/s transfer speeds, which isn't common. With a Pegasus R4 with SSDs, it's possible to top 900MB/s, which isn't achievable with USB 3:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Thunderbolt-Windows-ASUS-P8Z77-V-Premium-Pegasus-R4-and-Apple-Thunderbolt-Dis-4

Thanks.

Good to know.

post #48 of 50

I ordered an iMac last night. 27" with 1TB fusion and the 680MX. Shipping in 5-7 business days.

A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #49 of 50

Anker Uspeed USB3 hub arrived from Amazon today.  It is going back.

With two drives connected, even with one turned off, transfer rate was half of direct connection to the iMac.  With both drives on and soun up I got estimates of 26 minutes for that 20GB folder and abandoned shortly thereafter when the time didn't change.  Connected directly, the longest initial estimate I had seen was 8 minutes, with the drive not spun up.

post #50 of 50

My order has shipped and should be ready for me to pick up at the Apple Store next Wednesday!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's shipping times for both 21.5" & 27" iMac improve to 1-3 days