or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Warren Buffett says Apple should buy back stock & build value, ignore Einhorn

Warren Buffett says Apple should buy back stock & build value, ignore Einhorn - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Why listen to the guy who has probably made more money in the stock market that anyone else.....????

Not just 'probably'.... (in nominal terms, of course) lol.gif

post #42 of 58
Buy it ALL back and go private.
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjava View Post

Buffet doesn't own AAPL or GOOG or MSFT or IBM because he does not invest any tech businesses.  He states that he only invests when he knows and understands their business.

He actually does own IBM.

post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Buy it ALL back and go private.

I would love to see that.
post #45 of 58
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjava View Post

Buffet doesn't own AAPL or GOOG or MSFT or IBM because he does not invest any tech businesses.  He states that he only invests when he knows and understands their business.

I don't know what Buffett owns. Berkshire owns a ton of IBM.
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I
I don't know what Buffett owns. Berkshire owns a ton of IBM.

Warren Buffett

Description:

As of September 30, 2012, funds at Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway were valued at $75.33 billion.

During the quarter, Berkshire had 38 total positions. 

In addition to the 30 top holdings below, Buffett also owned General Electric (GE), Verisk (VRSK), GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Gannett (GCI), UPS (UPS), Lee Enterprises (LEE), and Media General (MEG) and Ingersoll-Rand (IR) as of September 30. 

New Buys: DE, PCP, WBC, MEG
Increased: WFC, IBM, GM, NOV, DVA
Decreased: LEE, JNJ, GE, V, UPS
Sold Out: IR, CVS, DG

Symbol / Co Last Price Change Analysis
KO
Coca-Cola Co
$38.79 -0.03
(-0.08%)
20.1% of portfolio.
WFC
Wells Fargo & Co
$36.26 0.42
(1.16%)
19.4% of portfolio.
IBM
International Bus...
$207.36 2.16
(1.06%)
18.6% of portfolio.
AXP
American Express Co
$64.03 1.14
(1.81%)
11.4% of portfolio.
PG
Procter & Gamble Co
$77.15 0.47
(0.61%)
4.9% of portfolio.
WMT
Wal-Mart Stores Inc
$73.87 0.61
(0.83%)
4.6% of portfolio.
USB
U.S. Bancorp
$34.24 -0.04
(-0.12%)
2.8% of portfolio.
DTV
Directv
$49.22 0.28
(0.57%)
2.1% of portfolio.
COP
ConocoPhillips
$57.72 0.10
(0.16%)
1.8% of portfolio.
MCO
Moody's Corporation
$49.79 0.42
(0.85%)
1.7% of portfolio.
PSX
Phillips 66
$65.27 -0.41
(-0.62%)
1.7% of portfolio.
KRFT
Kraft Foods Group...
$49.41 0.26
(0.53%)
1.7% of portfolio.
DVA
DaVita HealthCare...
$123.82 2.01
(1.65%)
1.4% of portfolio.
WPO
Washington Post C...
$409.09 8.96
(2.24%)
0.83% of portfolio.
LMCA
Liberty Media Cor...
$111.39 1.89
(1.73%)
0.76% of portfolio.
MTB
M&T Bank Corp
$104.06 0.80
(0.77%)
0.68% of portfolio.
BK
Bank of New York ...
$27.96 0.38
(1.38%)
0.59% of portfolio.
COST
Costco Wholesale ...
$103.05 -0.38
(-0.37%)
0.58% of portfolio.
VIA.B
Viacom Incorporat...
$44.12 1.07
(2.49%)
0.54% of portfolio.
USG
USG Corp
$28.33 0.35
(1.25%)
0.5% of portfolio.
NOV
National Oilwell ...
$67.07 0.74
(1.12%)
0.45% of portfolio.
GM
General Motors Co
$27.66 0.57
(2.10%)
0.45% of portfolio.
DE
Deere & Co
$90.51 2.54
(2.89%)
0.44% of portfolio.
GD
General Dynamics
$67.75 0.71
(1.06%)
0.34% of portfolio.
TMK
Torchmark Corpora...
$57.43 0.70
(1.23%)
0.29% of portfolio.
V
Visa Inc.
$160.52 1.02
(0.64%)
0.28% of portfolio.
PCP
Precision Castpar...
$188.79 1.78
(0.95%)
0.27% of portfolio.
MA
MasterCard Incorp...
$528.04 6.63
(1.27%)
0.24% of portfolio.
SNY
Sanofi
$48.57 0.93
(1.95%)
0.23% of portfolio.
WBC
Wabco Holdings In...
$69.24 0.81
(1.18%)
0.12% of portfolio.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The real trouble isn't what Apple is or isn't doing. It's the analysts etc. they are the ones spreading reports like Apple cut orders on screens for iPads which just mean they aren't selling well. When the truth could be that they are selling like crazy but Apple was having to buy twice as many screens to make sure they had enough of their quality standard to fill the orders and now the supplier has their game together and this isn't an issue anymore so why buy tons of surplus.

Analysts are also the ones saying Apple will release this or that and when it turns out to be wrong they scream delay so they can still look like they knew what they were talking about when they didn't. Or way over inflating what they think sales of something will be and screaming failure their crazy numbers aren't met.

until these games are forced to an end, what Apple does won't be the key to their stock value 

Apple should employ better PR and advertising people, rather than letting false information in the public domain.
post #48 of 58
Originally Posted by cgr111 View Post
Apple should employ better PR and advertising people, rather than letting false information in the public domain.

What, spend tens of millions to sue every single person that ever says anything incorrect about Apple?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #49 of 58
I didn't say sue! Please rereading my short post.
post #50 of 58
Quote:

What are they going to do? Respond to every rumor? What if they dont respond, will it become true?
post #51 of 58
I didn't say sue! Please rereading my short post.

Right, but "responding" does absolutely nothing, so instead of wasting money there, they can either save it and say absolutely nothing (which also makes them look infinitely better than responding to total crap) or spend it on lawsuits to permanently shut the people up. 

It's easier and better for everyone to not respond to lies.

post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's the difference between Buffet and Einhorn: one is a long term investor who seeks companies that create real value, the other belongs to the hedge fund mentality who is trying to game the system to make a quick profit.

My feeling is "investor" should not be used for hedge funds. They're not "investing" in a company, they're temporarily leasing those shares.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, but "responding" does absolutely nothing, so instead of wasting money there, they can either save it and say absolutely nothing (which also makes them look infinitely better than responding to total crap) or spend it on lawsuits to permanently shut the people up. 

It's easier and better for everyone to not respond to lies.

Well, there is a "business" that knows how to permanently shut people up without any use of lawyers. Might not be quite legal though.

post #54 of 58
Quote:

Enlighten me. Why should Apple waste investor money paying people to raise their stock value instead of making/selling great hardware/software?

post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Enlighten me. Why should Apple waste investor money paying people to raise their stock value instead of making/selling great hardware/software?

Investor money?  You don't really know how the stock market works, do you....  

post #56 of 58
Because, the entire reputation of the company and all of its products are being damaged! THAT's WHY!
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Investor money?  You don't really know how the stock market works, do you....  

Oh, believe me, I do. You probably don't get my point, though. Or you're pretending not to.

post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What, spend tens of millions to sue every single person that ever says anything incorrect about Apple?

Well those guys don't really make their statements as facts. Analysts state predictions and disclose that it's a matter of opinion. When was the last time you saw one directly contradict facts or published information?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Warren Buffett says Apple should buy back stock & build value, ignore Einhorn