or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Prototypes of Apple's iOS-powered 'iWatch' face battery life issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Prototypes of Apple's iOS-powered 'iWatch' face battery life issues

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
A new report claims Apple hopes its alleged "iWatch" will offer between 4 and 5 days of use between charges, but current prototypes get about half that.

The details were reported on Monday by The Verge, which cited unnamed sources apparently familiar with the prototype hardware. Those people said Apple's current test models only get about two days of use maximum before a recharge is necessary.

Wearable Device
Source: USPTO


The prototype device allegedly runs the same iOS platform found on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iOS reportedly has "several hooks" to operate with a watch-like device, but the software currently lacks an appropriate interface, suggesting Apple may have more work to do on the software front.

The details piggyback on an earlier report from Bloomberg which claimed that Apple could introduce its rumored wristwatch device as soon as this year. That report also indicated that the wearable device will run Apple's iOS platform.

Continuous Display
Illustration of continuous display in "curled state."


The same publication claimed in a report filed last month that Apple has a 100-person team working on the device, including marketing, software and hardware personnel who previously worked on the iPhone and iPad.

Though the "iWatch" remains a fantasy for now, that hasn't stopped market watchers from speculating how much Apple could earn from such a device. Citigroup's Oliver Chen noted that current watch makers see margins of about 60 percent on their products, suggesting that an "iWatch" could be a hugely profitable device for Apple.
post #2 of 62

I am going to sue Apple because the battery life on this imaginary rumor product is not acceptable. 

post #3 of 62
You don't need to be a genius to know that a small wearable computer will have battery life issues at the current state of the art, but Apple has a long history of not releasing a product before it has a reasonable UX, which certainly includes battery life. Four to 5 days would be great but I don't think 2 to 3 days wouldn't be bad.



Off Topic: Why aren't we calling these Ive Strong bracelets?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 62

Wait, this report says the watch effort is being led by Ive.  The Bloomberg report a few weeks back said someone on Mansfield's team was in charge of the project.  Is this just a disinformation campaign from Apple or speculation and rumors from people who aren't really in the know?

post #5 of 62

BS rumor about a BS device rumor.

post #6 of 62
"I am going to sue Apple because the battery life on this imaginary rumor product is not acceptable."

I rule in your favor, force Apple to put "Nobody Copies Us" on their homepage in 64 bold font, and also announce my new unrelated job as a highly paid...person at Samscum.
post #7 of 62
So a rumor about the prototype for a rumored product isn't perfect. It doesn't have the rumored battery life.

Isn't that why there are prototypes in the first place.

This sounds more like hit whoring hype to me. Someone sees the patents, claims it's real and currently in progress. But said person doesn't want to look like idiot when it doesn't happen, at least any time soon. So trumps up this outrageous spec and says there are issues. That way no one will be shocked when it's 'delayed'.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #8 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So a rumor about the prototype for a rumored product isn't perfect. It doesn't have the rumored battery life.

Isn't that why there are prototypes in the first place.

This sounds more like hit whoring hype to me. Someone sees the patents, claims it's real and currently in progress. But said person doesn't want to look like idiot when it doesn't happen, at least any time soon. So trumps up this outrageous spec and says there are issues. That way no one will be shocked when it's 'delayed'.

Anyone know more about the history of the Verge and if rumors they've reported on in the past (not just about Apple) turn out to be accurate?   Seems this is one of those where there's smoke there's fire.

post #9 of 62

I don't really care about the rumor, I care more about whoever is leaking this crap, if it's true.

 

Just who are these people in the know who have seen and tried an Apple prototype watch that Apple is reportedly developing, and why would they be leaking details about it? An Apple employee? I doubt that, because they would be fired in about two seconds if that were the case, and I'm pretty sure that Apple employees must sign NDAs. An outsider? Who, a journalist? I doubt that too many people have seen the alleged watch, so Apple should be able to know who the leaker is.

 

If this rumor were true, then Apple needs to tighten up it's security, as I've always been saying. Heads need to roll.

post #10 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anyone know more about the history of the Verge and if rumors they've reported on in the past (not just about Apple) turn out to be accurate?   Seems this is one of those where there's smoke there's fire.

I knew that Josh used to claim his source told him, right after SJ unveiled iCloud at WWDC, that it will not have web apps. The rest is, as they say, history. :)

post #11 of 62

Boy is really going down AAPL today! 422$

post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Boy is really going down AAPL today! 422$

Amazon and Google are both up today, as usual.lol.gif

post #13 of 62
The verge is quite accurate.
post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't need to be a genius to know that a small wearable computer will have battery life issues at the current state of the art, but Apple has a long history of not releasing a product before it has a reasonable UX, which certainly includes battery life. Four to 5 days would be great but I don't think 2 to 3 days wouldn't be bad.



Off Topic: Why aren't we calling these Ive Strong bracelets?


Because Live Strong and Lance Armstrong is a bit of a joke right now?

 

Also I'd be cool with the fictional watch as long as it lasts the day. Just charge it when you go to sleep

post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post


Because Live Strong and Lance Armstrong is a bit of a joke right now?

 

 

I've always thought that those yellow bracelets were extremely ugly looking, and why would anybody want to wear one?

 

I wonder if people who wore those, still wear them, now that everybody knows that the guy was a fraud.

post #16 of 62

Gee it is going to be a failure, my watch already runs years in a single battery why would I want to have a watch that only lasts a few days before needing a power up.

 

They should not call it a watch since the word watch implies certain sets of experiences for the everyday user.

 

It will be like calling a manure pile a bed of roses.

 

Words and user experience around those words create a lasting impression on people. When you hear the word Watch what are all the thinks you think about and expect from something that is called a watch.

post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Gee it is going to be a failure, my watch already runs years in a single battery why would I want to have a watch that only lasts a few days before needing a power up.

 

I'm done with battery watches. Last year i needed to buy a new watch. I was thinking about getting an iPod nano and using that as a watch, but then I found out that you can't even have the display on most of the time, so that idea was quickly scrapped. 

 

Instead, I just bought a solar powered watch instead, which should last me until the day that I drop dead. 

post #18 of 62

Amazing how many people are trashing something that may or may not exist, and they know next to nothing about.   We keep hearing ad nauseum about how Apple is not innovating anymore, it's just  iterating on existing products.  Then when we hear rumors about something new people call it rubbish, something they have no interest in buying even though they haven't seen what it looks like or how it will function. 1rolleyes.gif 

 

I'm curious what new things people think Apple should be working on?  A low cost plastic iPhone for China certainly isn't exciting (and wouldn't be new either).  A larger iPhone or MacBook Air/iPad mini with retina screen is just improvements of existing products.  Do you want to see Apple do a convertible laptop Surface type product?  iGlasses to compete with Google Glass? What exactly do you want?

 

For me the fact that someone like Jim Dalrymple isn't adding his "nope" to these rumors means there could be something there.

post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post


Because Live Strong and Lance Armstrong is a bit of a joke right now?

Also I'd be cool with the fictional watch as long as it lasts the day. Just charge it when you go to sleep

1) My joke is a bit of a joke… at least that was my intention. (I thought it was funny)

2) Is taking off a watch daily something the average person will want to do? That could the affect the user experience to have to fiddle with a clasp twice a day. I suppose those that wear designer watches take it off daily at least to shower and such a small battery might be able to charge within the time it takes to do one's daily ablutions.

3) It can't be as easy to remove as a slap bracelet or it'll be an even larger target for thieves than the iPhone if they can't just grab your wrist as you walk by to steal your wearable computer. I have to assume Apple has thought of this, not to mention that a slap bracelet seems pretty tacky for apparel. Then again, Geordi wore a headband on his face so anything is possible.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't need to be a genius to know that a small wearable computer will have battery life issues at the current state of the art, but Apple has a long history of not releasing a product before it has a reasonable UX, which certainly includes battery life. Four to 5 days would be great but I don't think 2 to 3 days wouldn't be bad.



Off Topic: Why aren't we calling these Ive Strong bracelets?

 

 

My phone doesn't get two days. My Bluetooth headset gets a day if I am lucky. Two to three days would be great. 

post #21 of 62
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Then again, Geordi wore a headband on his face so anything is possible.

 

In retrospect, it seems a little silly that he wouldn't have just regrown his eyes from his own stem cells, since we're doing that alreadylol.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #22 of 62
Wasn't a iTV update or something supposed to be coming out? Not holding my breath on a iWatch.
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Also I'd be cool with the fictional watch as long as it lasts the day. Just charge it when you go to sleep

I'm not buying one because I don't wear wrist watches anymore. Too bad it can't be self winding or solar powered like some watches are.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not buying one because I don't wear wrist watches anymore. Too bad it can't be self winding or solar powered like some watches are.

If they can get the power requirements low enough couldn't they potentially use a tiny electromagnetic motor that charges the device by the natural motion of the wearer's arm?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) My joke is a bit of a joke… at least that was my intention. (I thought it was funny)

2) Is taking off a watch daily something the average person will want to do? That could the affect the user experience to have to fiddle with a clasp twice a day. I suppose those that wear designer watches take it off daily at least to shower and such a small battery might be able to charge within the time it takes to do one's daily ablutions.

3) It can't be as easy to remove as a slap bracelet or it'll be an even larger target for thieves than the iPhone if they can't just grab your wrist as you walk by to steal your wearable computer. I have to assume Apple has thought of this, not to mention that a slap bracelet seems pretty tacky for apparel. Then again, Geordi wore a headband on his face so anything is possible.


Wait people actually sleep and shower with their watches on? Wouldn't you be taking it off anyway for those activities?

post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post


Wait people actually sleep and shower with their watches on? Wouldn't you be taking it off anyway for those activities?

For showering I would assume so, especially if it has a leather band, but I'm not so sure about sleeping. That said, I'm not exactly and authority on watches as I stopped wearing them once I got a cellphone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #27 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Amazing how many people are trashing something that may or may not exist, and they know next to nothing about.   We keep hearing ad nauseum about how Apple is not innovating anymore, it's just  iterating on existing products.  Then when we hear rumors about something new people call it rubbish, something they have no interest in buying even though they haven't seen what it looks like or how it will function. 1rolleyes.gif

Agree. I'll wait and see what, if anything, they release before I determine if such a product would be for me. It would need to offer some pretty useful functionality for me to get one (but can't currently think of what that would be as I work at home and am in general anti-social and a hermit, lol ).

 

I still don't even have an iPad because I haven't found a compelling use case for my life. I could find plenty of things to use an iPad for, but so far a laptop and iPhone are meeting my needs. 

post #28 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Wait people actually sleep and shower with their watches on? Wouldn't you be taking it off anyway for those activities?

 

I usually take mine off to shower (it's more of a case of not wanting to mess up the leather band), but definitely sleep with it, since I'm near sighted and it's easier for me to read my watch held up to my eyes, than a clock display across the room.

 

I used a developer's Android smartwatch for about a month, and loved being able to wake up, touch the screen and see the latest weather, RSS news feeds, and my Google calendar, among other apps.  (The watch had its own WiFi.)

 

However, having to lay it on the charger every night was a real pain.  Sometimes I'd forget, and then halfway through the next day I suddenly had no watch.

 

These things really need to work for at least a week, if not far longer.   Put more batteries in the band, perhaps.  That should do it.  Or use body heat and motion to keep a trickle charge going.  Or be able to lay your wrist on a charger that works within seconds (think Green Lantern recharge speed).  Dunno.


Edited by KDarling - 3/4/13 at 9:00am
post #29 of 62

A prototype of a rumored product that might not actually exist might possibly have battery life issues?

 

This is unacceptable. Steve Jobs would never have allowed this. This company is nose-diving into irrelevancy. Sell all your stock. I'm done with Apple. Just one more example of the incompetency of Tim Cook. He needs to resign ASAP. It's like the 90's all over again. 

 

Am I doing it right?

post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Boy is really going down AAPL today! 422$

 

of course, a negative rumor on a rumored product always outweighs facts. two rumors = failure, right?

post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

A prototype of a rumored product that might not actually exist might possibly have battery life issues?

 

This is unacceptable. Steve Jobs would never have allowed this. This company is nose-diving into irrelevancy. Sell all your stock. I'm done with Apple. Just one more example of the incompetency of Tim Cook. He needs to resign ASAP. It's like the 90's all over again. 

 

Am I doing it right?

you forgot to install Jony as CEO, COO and CFO.

post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

I'm done with battery watches. Last year i needed to buy a new watch. I was thinking about getting an iPod nano and using that as a watch, but then I found out that you can't even have the display on most of the time, so that idea was quickly scrapped. 

 

Instead, I just bought a solar powered watch instead, which should last me until the day that I drop dead. 

 

Yeah that is why one of my watches is kinetic, But as with the solar watch they both have a storage cell and those fail too, and are not easily replaced

 

I too was looking at one of the Nano watches and decided against it as you did for various usability reason. 

 

As I pointed out, i would be very surprise apple is making a watch, it could be something else, but Apple has to know, as kids know people who wear watches are a dying breed, every kind I see to day use the phone as the watch.

post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Is taking off a watch daily something the average person will want to do? That could the affect the user experience to have to fiddle with a clasp twice a day. I suppose those that wear designer watches take it off daily at least to shower and such a small battery might be able to charge within the time it takes to do one's daily ablutions.
 

 

I suppose the hipsters will be a big market for such an item.  Do the hipsters bathe often enough?  "Daily" is really stretching it for a lot of the ones I know.

post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

As I pointed out, i would be very surprise apple is making a watch, it could be something else, but Apple has to know, as kids know people who wear watches are a dying breed, every kind I see to day use the phone as the watch.

Any reference to the iWatch isn't regarding the old-fashion definitive of a timepiece but of a wearable wrist computer.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

you forgot to install Jony as CEO, COO and CFO.

 

Thats Sir Jony to you and the correct job title is simply GOD.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #36 of 62

Internet site speculates about a rumor from unnamed sources, results labelled a "report". Gah.

post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

As I pointed out, i would be very surprise apple is making a watch, it could be something else, but Apple has to know, as kids know people who wear watches are a dying breed, every kind I see to day use the phone as the watch.

Any reference to the iWatch isn't regarding the old-fashion definitive of a timepiece but of a wearable wrist computer.

I agree that wrist watch concept is a bit dated. If they do make one it will most likely have inductive charging and BT earphones because it will need to be water resistant to at least a few meters. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #38 of 62

As there seems to be a lot of youth resistance to the concept of a watch, then obviously "iWatch" isn't going to be a popular description.

 

So perhaps blogs should call it something else?  iBand?  iBracelet?  iHand?

 

Ideas?

post #39 of 62
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

iBand?  iBracelet?  iHand?

 

Ideas?

 

I like Slice. No 'i'.

 

And what youth resistance? "Youth" are "resistant" to anything… until it's made "cool". I don't imagine many kids listen to the radio anymore, but Internet radio? They wouldn't go without it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #40 of 62
Two solitions. Solar power subsrate like my Casio has or wireless chargeing from eletrical fields around you or both. Samesung wil have an Android opy within 6 months.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Prototypes of Apple's iOS-powered 'iWatch' face battery life issues