or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad by far the most desired tablet among consumers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad by far the most desired tablet among consumers

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
Apple's dominance in the tablet computing sector seems unlikely to wane in the near future, as a new consumer survey found half of the respondents looking to buy a tablet were planning on getting an iPad, with no other company seeing double digit interest.

charty chart


The Yankee Group recently surveyed 506 consumers, asking them which brand of tablet they intended to buy. Apple's iPad was the tablet of choice for nearly half the respondent pool with 47 percent. Preference for the iPad was nearly seven times larger than Apple's next competitor, Amazon.

The results paint a grim picture for the rest of the tablet market. Amazon and Samsung scored seven and six percent, respectively, and no other manufacturer even approached 10 percent. Interest in the iPad was 20 points higher than interest in all other manufacturers combined.

The report notes that Samsung plans to make a big push in the tablet segment this year. In February, the company unveiled the Galaxy Note 8.0, a mid-size, stylus-enabled tablet meant to take on Apple's iPad mini. Samsung is aiming at doubling its tablet sales this year, which would amount to roughly 40 million tablets.

Introduced in 2010, Apple's iPad jumpstarted the languishing tablet market and has held sway over the segment ever since. Apple CEO Tim Cook views the iPad as the poster child for the post-PC revolution and views the market it dominates as "the mother of all markets." In the years since its introduction, multiple companies have introduced competing devices, but all have fallen far short of the iPad's sales. The most successful competitors have been Amazon's Kindle Fire and the Google/Asus-produced Nexus 7.
post #2 of 49
Neg spin: iPad not desired by > 50%. Stock drops 40.
post #3 of 49
What's funny is BB is at 2% while Google and Motorola are at 1% apiece. Does BB even make the Playbook anymore?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Neg spin: iPad not desired by > 50%. Stock drops 40.


More appropriate:

Apple products no longer desired by 103% of consumers.  Apple is doomed.

post #5 of 49

If I may... Apple's brand marketing is pretty bad-ass. Whether you love Apple or hate them... they are  the Coca-Cola of the tech world. The synergy between their products, especially the iPhone and iPods lent a pretty nice Halo effect to the iPad.

 

But I take this study with a grain of salt:

 

1. Time - are these users buying an iPad in 6 months or less or just being asked IF they were to buy a tablet, which one?

 

2. Advertising - Apart from iPads ads and the headtstart of the product in 2009-ish... The top competing tablets, like the Nexus 7 or even the Kindle Fire, have significantly less TV/media time. And we all know about marketing... impressions, eyeballs, views...

 

3. Afterward - I'd LOVE to see a survey of users 1 year after purchasing an iPad, Fire, etc. THAT is the survey that counts as big as this one, because those users will help determine if the iPad/Tablet buying fervor is a trend or a true shift in computing.

So for me... this is an awareness study... and not so much as... I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY buying an iPad study.

post #6 of 49
Surprise.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #7 of 49

This is hardly any surprise. Nothing else even comes remotely close.

 

I can see two legitimate reasons for not choosing an iPad:

 

(1) The person happens to be a weirdo and an Apple hater for whatever reason, and they'll use anything else, even if it's terrible, as long as it's not Apple.

 

(2) The person is flat broke, and every single dollar and penny counts, so they end up with a cheapo tablet that is extremely inferior to an iPad. Truth be told, if these people were so broke, it would actually be a wiser investment and use of their precious dollars to buy an iPad. But broke people usually aren't good with finances, money and making the right decisions, that's why they're broke to begin with.

post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Neg spin: iPad not desired by > 50%. Stock drops 40.

The media would put a negative spin on Apple if they had anything less than 75%.


The media is filled with idiots because some of them were talking doom and gloom when Jobs went back to Apple and now instead of changing their attitude and praising Apple for their turnaround, they want to find some nitpicking reason to put them down.

 

I find most of the players in the media that spell doom and gloom for Apple are just jealous and afraid to admit they were wrong.

 

Oh well.

post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156284/apples-ipad-by-far-the-most-desired-tablet-among-consumers#post_2287529"]
This is hardly any surprise. Nothing else even comes remotely close.

I can see two legitimate reasons for not choosing an iPad:

(1) The person happens to be a weirdo and an Apple hater for whatever reason, and they'll use anything else, even if it's terrible, as long as it's not Apple.

(2) The person is flat broke, and every single dollar and penny counts, so they end up with a cheapo tablet that is extremely inferior to an iPad. Truth be told, if these people were so broke, it would actually be a wiser investment and use of their precious dollars to buy an iPad. But broke people usually aren't good with finances, money and making the right decisions, that's why they're broke to begin with.

I think I'd agree with your points overall but I'd have said:

(2) Some people aren't able to afford an iPad due to financial issues.

It's assuming a lot to just say a lot of people are broke "because they're ignorant/irresponsible" as you're basically saying. Not everyone begins life at the same point so it's harder for some to reach the place where they're able to spend $500 on a "want" instead of a "need." Besides, if a person is flat broke, they shouldn't be buying a tablet in the first place, they should probably be saving the money for the future.
post #10 of 49

Then assume that the 'undecideds' eventually split roughly the same (once they think about it), and you get about 57% total.

Doomed, I say.

post #11 of 49

Ha ha! Don't tell me that Amazon is leading Samsung.  Samsung deserves lagging.  

post #12 of 49
If I'm not mistaken, this figure was roughly 80% one year ago. Negative? Yes. Spin? No, just the fact.
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

 

2. Advertising - Apart from iPads ads and the headtstart of the product in 2009-ish... The top competing tablets, like the Nexus 7 or even the Kindle Fire, have significantly less TV/media time. And we all know about marketing... impressions, eyeballs, views...

 

Samsung's marketing budget dwarfs Apple's.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/50b9282869bedd8822000058-960/chart-of-the-day-samsungs-marketing-budget-in-context-november-2012.jpg

post #14 of 49

What about that "Surface" . . .  thing?

post #15 of 49

Definitely 50% of the  portion - unsure 23% - will come to iPad.  So... iPad occupies 59% :D

post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Besides, if a person is flat broke, they shouldn't be buying a tablet in the first place, they should probably be saving the money for the future.

 

I agree with that. If a person is so broke that a couple of dollars is a huge deal for them, then buying a tablet should be the last thing on their minds.

post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What about that "Surface" . . .  thing?

 

That thing needs to flop quickly, because I'm getting pretty annoyed by those commercials that they keep showing whenever I rarely decide to catch a show on tv.

 

I think that it's already flopped, but they are still spending huge amounts of money on the advertising campaign. Hopefully that money will all be spent soon.

post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

If I may... Apple's brand marketing is pretty bad-ass. Whether you love Apple or hate them... they are  the Coca-Cola of the tech world. The synergy between their products, especially the iPhone and iPods lent a pretty nice Halo effect to the iPad.

 

But I take this study with a grain of salt:

 

1. Time - are these users buying an iPad in 6 months or less or just being asked IF they were to buy a tablet, which one?

 

2. Advertising - Apart from iPads ads and the headtstart of the product in 2009-ish... The top competing tablets, like the Nexus 7 or even the Kindle Fire, have significantly less TV/media time. And we all know about marketing... impressions, eyeballs, views...

 

3. Afterward - I'd LOVE to see a survey of users 1 year after purchasing an iPad, Fire, etc. THAT is the survey that counts as big as this one, because those users will help determine if the iPad/Tablet buying fervor is a trend or a true shift in computing.

So for me... this is an awareness study... and not so much as... I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY buying an iPad study.

I don't know what you watch, but I can not watch a single show, network, cable, hulu, and NOT see a Surface add. Lots of kindle Fires in there too. Then iPad, then Nexus 7. So I don't think iPad ads are as out there as the perception is, and certainly not in direct correlation to the "desire" or actual purchases

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The media would put a negative spin on Apple if they had anything less than 75%.


The media is filled with idiots because some of them were talking doom and gloom when Jobs went back to Apple and now instead of changing their attitude and praising Apple for their turnaround, they want to find some nitpicking reason to put them down.

 

I find most of the players in the media that spell doom and gloom for Apple are just jealous and afraid to admit they were wrong.

 

Oh well.

True. My daughter has 100 averages in every class this year. (Second grade). My wife said to me she worries about her becoming lazy. That her work over the past week or so has started to suffer because she doesn't want to try something new. (she got a 95 on something). I said, "Where are here averages supposed to go? one wrong answer on one small test eliminates 100 from being possible. It isn't a big deal"

 

She agreed, but I think it shows the initial thought process. Something is going down = decline = bad. Until you think about the facts and reality.

 

Of COURSE Apple marketshare in tablet space is going to decline. The second one person buys one other non-iPad tablet it does.

post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Of COURSE Apple marketshare in tablet space is going to decline. The second one person buys one other non-iPad tablet it does.

 

Yep, when the iPad came out, it basically had 100% market share, because nobody else had something similar on the market, until all of the copycats began getting busy.

 

There's only one way to go from 100%, and that direction is not up. 

post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Neg spin: iPad not desired by > 50%. Stock drops 40.

You say the jokingly, but there are websites that'll spin it that way, or simply talk about the decline of the iPad and the rise of Amazon.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

I agree with that. If a person is so broke that a couple of dollars is a huge deal for them, then buying a tablet should be the last thing on their minds.

 

Nexus 7 = $199.99

iPad Mini = $329.99

 

$329.99 - $199.99 = $130.00

 

$130.00 /= "a couple of dollars."

post #22 of 49

I must say, the iPad mini is the most lustworthy tablet I've come across.  I don't need one, but maybe I'll pick one up for the wife...

post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

So for me... this is an awareness study... and not so much as... I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY buying an iPad study.

Yeah, if it were the latter, the survey would show 90%, not 47%.
post #24 of 49
Nice to read this! At least there's somewhere where Samsung and Android don't seem to be taking over.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

If I'm not mistaken, this figure was roughly 80% one year ago. Negative? Yes. Spin? No, just the fact.

Cite? Or did you just pull it out of your...... hat?

post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The media would put a negative spin on Apple if they had anything less than 75%.

 

 

Anything less than 75% market share means Apple is doomed due to lack of market share.

75% or more market share means Apple is doomed because there is nowhere to go but down.

post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

 

Nexus 7 = $199.99

iPad Mini = $329.99

 

$329.99 - $199.99 = $130.00

 

$130.00 /= "a couple of dollars."

Over two years of ownership, it's substantially less than a couple of dollars per week. In other words, the equivalent of having to live with two Starbucks cups for every three someone was drinking before. (Not counting resale value). For an infinitely better experience.

 

If a person can't see that, they deserve the crap they have.

post #28 of 49

The other obvious thing to keep in mind is that the tablet market in general is exploding.   That is why Apple, for the most part, can not build tablets fast enough even though their percentage of market share is declining.

 

For a final factor, apple really performs well over the long haul - with the greater dollar buy in from more loyal customers.  Every customer Apple adds are more likely to stay on than those from the lower dollar andriodian unwashed masses.  Also Apple continues to have the best ecosystem, stores, etc. and if they keep their brand's high quality and user experience at the forefront, then they will continue to lead the way.

post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

 

Nexus 7 = $199.99

iPad Mini = $329.99

 

$329.99 - $199.99 = $130.00

 

$130.00 /= "a couple of dollars."

When I wrote "a couple of dollars", I was obviously not referring to two dollars. 

 

I find $329 for an iPad Mini to be pretty cheap, and apparently so do plenty of other people, as it's selling like crazy.

 

It's so cheap, that when I was left without my iPad 3 a couple of weeks ago, because I let my girlfriend take it with her on a trip, I just headed on over to the closest Apple store and bought an iPad Mini, just to have something to use for five days, until my other iPad returned.

post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

I must say, the iPad mini is the most lustworthy tablet I've come across.  I don't need one, but maybe I'll pick one up for the wife...

Females love the iPad mini. My girlfriend never even touches my iPad 3 anymore, it's all about the mini now. 

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Over two years of ownership, it's substantially less than a couple of dollars per week. In other words, the equivalent of having to live with two Starbucks cups for every three someone was drinking before. (Not counting resale value). For an infinitely better experience.

 

If a person can't see that, they deserve the crap they have.

That's true. And what about the resale value, should somebody ever decide to sell it?

 

It makes no sense to choose anything else. 

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

If I'm not mistaken, this figure was roughly 80% one year ago. Negative? Yes. Spin? No, just the fact.

 

I did not see this same poll, by the same organization from last year. The closest I could find was from Christmas 2011:

http://www.maritzresearch.com/sitecore/content/MaritzDotCom/Press-Releases/2011/Maritz-Holiday-Tablet-Poll-Finds-Four-Key-Buyer-Segments-in-Market.aspx?sc_device=MaritzResearchSharedContent

 

It's organized differently, but you can total the four categories (low end, newcomers, single minded, committed) to come to 53% stating a preference for iPad.

post #33 of 49
But the kids love the Surface...
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156284/apples-ipad-by-far-the-most-desired-tablet-among-consumers#post_2287561"]
I agree with that. If a person is so broke that a couple of dollars is a huge deal for them, then buying a tablet should be the last thing on their minds.

Depends on your definition of broke. There are a great many people who's monthly expenses are just slightly lower or the same as their monthly income. Most are very productive members of society. So yes to those people a couple of hundred dollars is a big deal.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

 

I did not see this same poll, by the same organization from last year. The closest I could find was from Christmas 2011:

http://www.maritzresearch.com/sitecore/content/MaritzDotCom/Press-Releases/2011/Maritz-Holiday-Tablet-Poll-Finds-Four-Key-Buyer-Segments-in-Market.aspx?sc_device=MaritzResearchSharedContent

 

It's organized differently, but you can total the four categories (low end, newcomers, single minded, committed) to come to 53% stating a preference for iPad.

 

Nor did I now, however I'm pretty much confident it was so, because I was stunned with the figure. If not, good for Apple. 

post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Females love the iPad mini. My girlfriend never even touches my iPad 3 anymore, it's all about the mini now. 

 

I just think it's a great size for a portable device.  Can slip into a jacket pocket, not too big to hold on a packed train, etc...  At home or work I have a TV or laptop.  

post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

If I'm not mistaken, this figure was roughly 80% one year ago. Negative? Yes. Spin? No, just the fact.

 

I did not see this same poll, by the same organization from last year. The closest I could find was from Christmas 2011:

http://www.maritzresearch.com/sitecore/content/MaritzDotCom/Press-Releases/2011/Maritz-Holiday-Tablet-Poll-Finds-Four-Key-Buyer-Segments-in-Market.aspx?sc_device=MaritzResearchSharedContent

 

It's organized differently, but you can total the four categories (low end, newcomers, single minded, committed) to come to 53% stating a preference for iPad.

You know he was pulling it out of his.....lol.gif (he even signed up just so that he could do that, so don't ruin it for him).

post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

 

I just think it's a great size for a portable device.  Can slip into a jacket pocket, not too big to hold on a packed train, etc...  At home or work I have a TV or laptop.  

The size of the iPad Mini is great for portability as you mentioned, but don't forget about the weight difference. The weight difference between the Mini and a full sized iPad is crazy, and that's surely another reason why so many people like it.

post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Depends on your definition of broke. There are a great many people who's monthly expenses are just slightly lower or the same as their monthly income. Most are very productive members of society. So yes to those people a couple of hundred dollars is a big deal.

 

This was exactly what I was trying to say earlier.  I know these people well, I grew up in a home like this.  Both of my parents worked hard but good paying jobs were hard to come by in that area (I'm grateful I was able to move away for this reason) and $200 was/is a lot of money to these people.  $200 can buy a nice bit of groceries, pay an electric bill or with the recent increase in gas prices, be enough to get you to work.

 

Just because some of these folks don't earn enough money to buy the latest gadget doesn't mean they're less productive or somehow more ignorant of those who can.  It simply means they have different struggles and challenges while having similar desires.  In that case, you buy what you can afford.

 

This is a lesson I've never forgotten nor will I, because I remember what it's like to grow up poor, by all standards.

post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

The size of the iPad Mini is great for portability as you mentioned, but don't forget about the weight difference. The weight difference between the Mini and a full sized iPad is crazy, and that's surely another reason why so many people like it.

 

TBH, the screen quality sucks after one gets used to Retina. I bought one a couple of months ago -- and initially, I was quite pleased with it, esp. the size and the weight -- but in the past month or so, I have barely touched it. Can't stand to do anything on any non-Retina device any more.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad by far the most desired tablet among consumers