or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad by far the most desired tablet among consumers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad by far the most desired tablet among consumers - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 

TBH, the screen quality sucks after one gets used to Retina. I bought one a couple of months ago -- and initially, I was quite pleased with it, esp. the size and the weight -- but in the past month or so, I have barely touched it. Can't stand to do anything on any non-Retina device any more.

It's obviously not retina, and I can definitely notice the difference from when I switch from my iPad 3 to the iPad Mini, but I guess that it doesn't bother me that much. It depends exactly what I'm going to use it for. I can notice that the colors are not as accurate either, but I'm not a photographer, and if I were, I would obviously be using the full sized iPad.

post #42 of 49

This is shocking news. I expected some other random tablets that is selling 46 units a quarter to be the most desired. I'm glad I read this news story. 

post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I don't know what you watch, but I can not watch a single show, network, cable, hulu, and NOT see a Surface add. Lots of kindle Fires in there too. Then iPad, then Nexus 7. So I don't think iPad ads are as out there as the perception is, and certainly not in direct correlation to the "desire" or actual purchases

 

 

Well note the study is for 2012... so the survey period is most likely beginning of 2012 and maybe fall 2012 (Surface fotopritn)... assuming at least 3-6s month to gather, compile, etc. the data and then release it.

Surface ads only dropped last fall and Samsung, Nexus, and Kindle fire ads were/are pretty sporadic.
So if you look at ads from 2009-2012... it's pretty much ALL Apple iPad.

 

Awareness still.

And I just gave the survey another re-read... 506 respondents. :\
I wonder what demographic info is associated with that group...

But FWIW - nearly 50% awareness/propensity to buy isn't unreasonable given Apple's brand image.

This survey would almost be like asking... would you buy Coke, RC Cola, Earth Cola, or Jim's Real Cola.
 


Edited by LuxoM3 - 3/4/13 at 2:58pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The size of the iPad Mini is great for portability as you mentioned, but don't forget about the weight difference. The weight difference between the Mini and a full sized iPad is crazy, and that's surely another reason why so many people like it.

This is true.  I never was a big fan of the iPad (or any 10 inch tablet) because of the size and limited functionality (when it first appeared).  But the iPad 7.9 is a great size/weight/price, and is what I'd expect for a device between a laptop and phone.  Also like the small bezel.  

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

 

Nexus 7 = $199.99

iPad Mini = $329.99

 

$329.99 - $199.99 = $130.00

 

$130.00 /= "a couple of dollars."

So.

I buy a Mercedes at $100K or a shitty locally produced car for $30K, which one is better ?

I can, because I can. People who were lazy in their lives, not well educated, resulting in jobs that pay less only have themselves to blame.

I buy the best because I can afford it.

So whats your point again ?


Edited by hfts - 3/4/13 at 5:45pm
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Over two years of ownership, it's substantially less than a couple of dollars per week. In other words, the equivalent of having to live with two Starbucks cups for every three someone was drinking before. (Not counting resale value). For an infinitely better experience.

 

If a person can't see that, they deserve the crap they have.

May I add.

The poorer the person the more chance he/she smokes, partakes in alcohol (excessively), gambles or buys take-out food.

The later costs a lot more than meals cooked at home. No need to discuss the others.

So the differential in costs between the iPad and the rest of the tables is minimal or zero when taking these facts into account.

Off course the iPad user may also follow these unsavoury attributes, but statiscally it will be lower than the others.

I saw someone buy a packet of cigarettes and it was about $20, 20 packets and you have an iPad Mini.

post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is hardly any surprise. Nothing else even comes remotely close.

 

I can see two legitimate reasons for not choosing an iPad:

 

(1) The person happens to be a weirdo and an Apple hater for whatever reason, and they'll use anything else, even if it's terrible, as long as it's not Apple.

 

(2) The person is flat broke, and every single dollar and penny counts, so they end up with a cheapo tablet that is extremely inferior to an iPad. Truth be told, if these people were so broke, it would actually be a wiser investment and use of their precious dollars to buy an iPad. But broke people usually aren't good with finances, money and making the right decisions, that's why they're broke to begin with.

 

3. I have an iPad (2) that I'm happy with, but I will buy a quality tablet with distinct user profiles and parental controls on my next upgrade from another company if Apple doesn't provide them. Too much hassle with the rest of my family moving my icons around, no time controls to help make the kids take turns if I'm momentarily distracted, etc. 

 

Of course, if the iPad never breaks, I may not need to replace it for some time. Unless Apple orphans me on an iOS upgrade.

 

4. Some people just like to try new kinds of gadgets, and Apple has been trying hard to keep the iPad evolutionary after the initial revolution (unlike the iPhone, where the physical design has changed with each new major generation). If there will be a thinner, lighter large-format iPad with a different look and feel, I suspect that might make the fifth iPad the new thing gadget-lovers want to carry around. 

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

So.

I buy a Mercedes at $100K or a shitty locally produced car for $30K, which one is better ?

I can, because I can. People who were lazy in their lives, not well educated, resulting in jobs that pay less only have themselves to blame.

I buy the best because I can afford it.

So whats your point again ?

 

Not everyone is given the same opportunities in life. Congrats on being able to afford nice things, I can as well...I just choose to remain humble and grounded. Besides, things aren't what matters most in life, I'm sure we agree on that. 

 

But just because someone makes less doesn't MAKE them less of a person. 

post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Not everyone is given the same opportunities in life. Congrats on being able to afford nice things, I can as well...I just choose to remain humble and grounded. Besides, things aren't what matters most in life, I'm sure we agree on that. 

But just because someone makes less doesn't MAKE them less of a person. 

I hate the elitist attitude of 'I made it so can everyone else'. A chief needs indians, not everyone can be chief. I'm sure if hfts was caught in a fire he want a 30K car driving fireman to save his 100K Mercedes driving ass.
Edited by dasanman69 - 3/5/13 at 7:43am
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad by far the most desired tablet among consumers