or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's unannounced Galaxy S IV rumored to feature eye-tracking technology
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's unannounced Galaxy S IV rumored to feature eye-tracking technology - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Originally Posted by guaihu View Post
There is no mention of conscious control of the scrolling.

 

That's a breakthrough: subconscious control of scrolling. So the device taps your mind and just up and learns exactly when you want to scroll. And takes every secret you have while it's at it.

 

It's Google's dream come true. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Nope. That only happens with Apple. When it's Samsung, the media fawns over whatever they release - no matter how much it falls short of 'expectations.'

 

To be fair, the vast majority of people here contribute to the idea that Samsung can't live up to expectations...so when they do anything right, the media can rely on a lot of Apple fans being surprised. Or at least griping. Either way it's clicks.

 

Ignore them if you want them to go away.

post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's a breakthrough: subconscious control of scrolling. So the device taps your mind and just up and learns exactly when you want to scroll. And takes every secret you have while it's at it.

It's Google's dream come true. 

I can't tell if you're just riffing off my comment to take a shot at Google or if you... Ah I'd rather not get banned just yet.

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply
post #44 of 56
Originally Posted by guaihu View Post
I can't tell if you're just riffing off my comment to take a shot at Google or if you... 

 

…are really that stupid? lol.gif

 

I riff everything.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #45 of 56

Samsung Eye Stay doesn't even work that good, and this sounds a LOT more complex.

 

So what if I have an App with a status bar at the top or bottom of the screen? How will it know if I'm glancing at the status bar or actually want to scroll?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaihu View Post

 

Where does this talk of "jumping" come from? It's not in the article. There is no mention of conscious control of the scrolling.

 

Most of the negative comments here are pure FUD. You know nothing about the technology involved (neither do I, by the way) or even about the way eyes move. Let's just wait and see, shall we?

 

However... that said...

 

I have little doubt this feature, if real, will be awful, because it is being made by Samsung, which can't write decent software. One day it will be an awesome feature we see on all sorts of devices, but I don't think its time is now.

 

I think the FUD and out-there comments are a result of a lot of users being disappointed by the slow pace of technology adoption that Apple has had in their phones over the past few iterations.  LTE, 4" and Maps are the big thing this year for them and those have been implemented in Android phones (the higher end ones) for over 2.5 years.  It does look like Apple is stepping up their release cycle and going with a June release which will keep them in the game.  The pace at which Samsung/LG/HTC and the others are putting out phones/advancements/new ideas, it is putting pressure on Apple to step up their schedule and introduce at least equivalents.  

 

Some of you think Samsung is not innovative but they've introduced the Smart Stay and Smart Rotation technology.  Yes, it's purpose is to solve 1st world problems but it's been great while reading in bed.  The multitasking is pretty sweet as well, surfing the net while texting on the same screen is great as is watching a documentary while reading email.   I haven't done it yet but I've seen people run up to 6 different videos concurrently before the CPU was maxed out.  Say what you will about Samsung but they are moving the yardstick.  A lot of the comments I see on here were applicable to some of the products from 3 years ago but this whole laggy input thing makes me laugh because many of my friends who are apple die hards are impressed with how far the UI has come since the early days and say that the lag they once saw in the past is now gone. 

 

I'm really surprised on how many people actually believe what they are writing here...

post #47 of 56

 

Damn, Samsung sure know how to create hype.  The creativity of this commercial blow away anything that Apple has been doing past or present. 

post #48 of 56
Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post
Damn, Samsung sure know how to create hype.  The creativity of this commercial blow away anything that Apple has been doing past or present. 

 

0:54: Well, the kid's retinas are burnt away now, so it shouldn't be a problem for him not to tell anyone about what he saw.

 

As for what comes after, the message "stay away from tsundere girls and hide in your room with gadgets" is a great message to send¡

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #49 of 56

I don 't think this tech will be big. I have a Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 that has the tracking that sees if your looking at the screen or not so it knows to lock the device or not. It uses a ton of battery and sometimes it glitches.

post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post



Damn, Samsung sure know how to create hype.  The creativity of this commercial blow away anything that Apple has been doing past or present. 

The funny thing is how much Samsung and other so this sort of silly thing to try to generate hype for their products. Apple never does it (other than 1984).

Yet if you read forums like this one, Apple is the company constantly being accused of trying to hype its products before announcement to try to build excitement.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #51 of 56

I would be happy if they would just get their touch sensors right first.  I often have to tap the sreen several times on my Tab 2 before it recognises my press, or when closing down tabs in the browser add a new tab instead of closing the one I selected.  My iPad 2 is much more accurate and responsive, in fact I can select buttons, links etc more accurately on my iPhone 3GS than on my Tab 2

post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

 

I think the FUD and out-there comments are a result of a lot of users being disappointed by the slow pace of technology adoption that Apple has had in their phones over the past few iterations.  LTE, 4" and Maps are the big thing this year for them and those have been implemented in Android phones (the higher end ones) for over 2.5 years.  It does look like Apple is stepping up their release cycle and going with a June release which will keep them in the game.  The pace at which Samsung/LG/HTC and the others are putting out phones/advancements/new ideas, it is putting pressure on Apple to step up their schedule and introduce at least equivalents.  

 

Some of you think Samsung is not innovative but they've introduced the Smart Stay and Smart Rotation technology.  Yes, it's purpose is to solve 1st world problems but it's been great while reading in bed.  The multitasking is pretty sweet as well, surfing the net while texting on the same screen is great as is watching a documentary while reading email.   I haven't done it yet but I've seen people run up to 6 different videos concurrently before the CPU was maxed out.  Say what you will about Samsung but they are moving the yardstick.  A lot of the comments I see on here were applicable to some of the products from 3 years ago but this whole laggy input thing makes me laugh because many of my friends who are apple die hards are impressed with how far the UI has come since the early days and say that the lag they once saw in the past is now gone. 

 

I'm really surprised on how many people actually believe what they are writing here...

 

I think a lot of the people here have next to no experience with (EDIT: recent) non-Apple mobile devices, and as you say, their comments apply to Android of 2010, not today. Android is a mature and capable OS now if it's not on crap hardware. I do think there's some tech-lust (NFC? no thanks) and feature-lust (multitasking? um...) in play here, however, but different strokes and all. But I just switched from a high-end Android to iPhone and I don't see the need for a lot of that.

 

/offtopic

 

EDIT: My skepticism about Samsung's software writing capability comes largely from my experience with the note-taking app on the Note 2. It crashed pretty regularly. In general I think the bloatware they put on their phones lacks the polish of Apple or, yes, post-ICS Google.


Edited by guaihu - 3/5/13 at 5:32am

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply
post #53 of 56

Wow even thinking about that "feature" makes me dizzy.

 

Just hope it can be turned off for those that buy one!

post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post




Damn, Samsung sure know how to create hype.  The creativity of this commercial blow away anything that Apple has been doing past or present. 

That is one sick commercial. I mean sick in the old sense, as in "demented," "perverse."

They do know their market. The area of the brain that this sort of juvenalia-combined-with-authority-worship resides in should be identified and named. For starters, look for it somwhere in the older reptilian layers.

@TonyLee, you might want to go to Ken Segall's site and read some of what he says.

http://kensegall.com/branding2.html

Edit: TonyLee, I looked at your other posts, welcome to the forum. Thanks for linking to that TV ad, because I don't watch the tube and I don't think I would have seen it. It is more terrible "lifestyle" advertising from Samsung's advertising agency, whoever they are. (I intend to find out.) What we see with their ads is that they are selling to people with geekish techno-lust, and who have, seemingly, no higher values. Like I say, they know their market.

Apple sells to people who enjoy life first, and who can use their devices to enjoy life more. Not "lifestyle" — life itself.
Edited by Flaneur - 3/5/13 at 11:45am
post #55 of 56

Are you serious?

That's totally lame. It doesn't even show the product. Apple's 1984 commercial didn't work because it didn't show the product. It worked because the commercial was great. It told a story, it was compelling, it had a message, Ridley Scott directed it, etc. Then, after all was said and done, the product was totally new, innovative, and revolutionary.

No other apple commercial hasn't shown the product. In fact You will notice that Apple is about the only computing company that always show how their products work in their commercials. Take a look. The other companies (especially MS) always *imply* how their products work, but rarely actually show it.

As an Apple stock holder I'm relieved Apple doesn't make commercials to your taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post

Damn, Samsung sure know how to create hype.  The creativity of this commercial blow away anything that Apple has been doing past or present. 

post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Battery life = Negligible
*Note, unit must be plugged in to power on, otherwise unit will remain in a brick-like state.
Yes the 3GS has about twice the battery of the SG3.(it is funny how these sound similar) Not even mentions the 5 has three times the batter than it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post




Damn, Samsung sure know how to create hype.  The creativity of this commercial blow away anything that Apple has been doing past or present. 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung's unannounced Galaxy S IV rumored to feature eye-tracking technology
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's unannounced Galaxy S IV rumored to feature eye-tracking technology