or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: iPhone 5S slated for August release following next-gen iPad launch in April
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: iPhone 5S slated for August release following next-gen iPad launch in April

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
A new rumor claims that Apple will accelerate its launch schedule for the next-generation iPhone and debut the handset in August, while successors to the company's current tablet lineup could see a debut in April, just six months after the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad were released.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, iMore reports that the company is planning to debut its next-generation "iPhone 5S" handset in August, one month earlier than last year's iPhone 5 unveiling in September. The publication, which has a fairly good track record and accurately predicted the introduction of the Lightning connector, was also told that next-generation iPads could see an "April-ish" release.

iPhone 5


According to the source, the next-gen iPhone will benefit from iterative "S model" changes including a faster processor and improved camera optics.

As for the upcoming iPads, a redesigned 9.7-inch model boasting an iPad mini aesthetic is expected to debut after cases for the tablet were purportedly leaked in February. iMore doesn't see the iPad mini getting much more than a spec bump, however, and noted that a Retina display version "doesn't sound imminent."

The rumors don't offer anything new in terms of hardware specs, but Apple's product timeline has been a much-debated topic as the iPad mini and Lightning-enabled fourth-generation iPad were announced in October. If new tablets are released in April, it would leave only six months between refreshes, a first for the iPad's usual annual cycle.

The rumors are in line with a report released earlier on Monday from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who reiterated his prediction of a summer iPhone 5S launch, with an announcement in June expected to come ahead of a July rollout.
post #2 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor claims that Apple will accelerate its launch schedule for the next-generation iPhone and debut the handset in August, while successors to the company's current tablet lineup could see a debut in April, just six months after the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad were released.

The rumors are in line with a report released earlier on Monday from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who reiterated his prediction of a June iPhone 5S launch.

1. So much for 'in line with'

2. It doesn't look too difficult to write these rumors, does it? Throw in a couple of 'the sometimes hit or miss' and some statement about previous rumors and you got yourself a website.

3. I don't know about a June or August iPhone debut, but do hope *and think* the next version will be rectangular.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #3 of 37
Sheesh!

Rumour after rumour after rumour...

Is this AppleInsider or AppleOutsider?
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sheesh!

Rumour after rumour after rumour...

Is this AppleInsider or AppleOutsider?


Actually, there used to be (still?) a blog called Apple Outsider. It delved into more interesting stuff than rumors, as the blogger is an ex-Apple software dude.

post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


1. So much for 'in line with'

2. It doesn't look too difficult to write these rumors, does it? Throw in a couple of 'the sometimes hit or miss' and some statement about previous rumors and you got yourself a website.

3. I don't know about a June or August iPhone debut, but do hope *and think* the next version will be rectangular.


We just need 2 or 3 more rumors to cover all the months of the second half of the year to guarantee that, once again, the analysts are truly prescient.

post #6 of 37
Eh. Pretty ok with my iPad 4 so I think I'll skip this cycle. Only reason I upgraded from the 3 to the 4 was to cut back on the number of adapter cables I had to carry when traveling. Seems like each revision is less impressive than the last with these things lately, so other than a new back that looks like the iPad mini, I'm not expecting any real changes here in the new model.
post #7 of 37

Whatever this rumour is, what it isn't is "in line" with a June release. The difference of 2 months hides the massive difference in ideology.  A June release would signal another later on, an August release would be this years release , month earlier. It's the difference between a radical prediction and meh. 

 

The 5S is going to float nobodies boat. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The 5S is going to float nobodies boat. 

Unless of course if it is faster and/or lighter and/or more of something. And so on and so forth... I am planning on getting the latest model each and every time they release a new version. In order to do that I have discntinued my telco subscription, am using prepaid and will sell my current 5 on ebay or someplace. Only I won't be buying an iPhone if they increase the width, but if they do so I presume that will be an extension to the current model, creating a whole iPhone line, like the iPod evolved.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I am planning on getting the latest model each and every time they release a new version. In order to do that I have discntinued my telco subscription, am using prepaid and will sell my current 5 on ebay or someplace.

 

Great minds think alike.

 

This has been my exact strategy for a few years now and it works like a charm.

 

If Steve didn't have a museum of Apple products, why should we? 1wink.gif

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

3. I don't know about a June or August iPhone debut, but do hope *and think* the next version will be rectangular.

Darn. I was hoping for a pear shape.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #11 of 37

One thing I do agree with in this rumor is Apple not increasing the price of the iPad.  When the iPad went retina Apple didn't increase the price, they just kept the iPad 2 and dropped the price. I can't see Apple releasing a retina mini until/unless they can do so for the same price.  I think a $399 mini would be a hard sell.  If retina was that important to people would the current mini be selling as well as it is?

post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

One thing I do agree with in this rumor is Apple not increasing the price of the iPad.  When the iPad went retina Apple didn't increase the price, they just kept the iPad 2 and dropped the price. I can't see Apple releasing a retina mini until/unless they can do so for the same price.  I think a $399 mini would be a hard sell.  If retina was that important to people would the current mini be selling as well as it is?

yeah, good point. If the retina screens were such a big hit, then people would sacrifice the weight advantage of the mini for the bigger iPad. Whats a big hit is cheap and light.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #13 of 37
A 5"S" will be viewed as 'blah' tech-wise. A low cost phone will be a margin disaster. And consider that the iPhone is at least 50% of Apple's market value.

I predict a long, hard summer for AAPL. (The only rays of hope are China Mobile and growth strategy for India).
post #14 of 37
I'm looking forward to the mini with retina display and the iPhone with the 5 inch screen that are both suppose to come out this year.
post #15 of 37
The latest rumor says the new one will start selling on a day that ends with "...day".
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Darn. I was hoping for a pear shape.

 

The producers of iCarly have already patented that shape, so that can't happen ;-)

post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Unless of course if it is faster and/or lighter and/or more of something. And so on and so forth... I am planning on getting the latest model each and every time they release a new version. In order to do that I have discntinued my telco subscription, am using prepaid and will sell my current 5 on ebay or someplace. Only I won't be buying an iPhone if they increase the width, but if they do so I presume that will be an extension to the current model, creating a whole iPhone line, like the iPod evolved.

 

Yep, me too.  I have my VZ plan situated so that every year I have an upgrade available in August.  I used my daughter's upgrade last year and got the 5, giving her my 4s.  This year my and my wife's upgrade is available Aug 16, so we'll upgrade and I'll give my 5 to my daughter, sell off the 2 iPhone 4s' and use that $$ to cover the upgrades.

 

Hasn't failed me yet.

post #18 of 37
August? Too early. September at minimum.
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Whatever this rumour is, what it isn't is "in line" with a June release. The difference of 2 months hides the massive difference in ideology.  A June release would signal another later on, an August release would be this years release , month earlier. It's the difference between a radical prediction and meh. 

The 5S is going to float nobodies boat. 

You give too little thought to those on contracts ready to move up. My wife and I have been using 4S phones on a VZW contract running out this summer. We've loved the 4S but look forward to immediately upgrading to the 5S (or whatever it is called) because, for us, that phone will be faster, lighter, bigger, have a better camera and...oh yeah...have VZW LTE data speeds to replace the 3G we now use. And maybe more. Some Apple fans and critics alike need to spend less time worrying about the "need" for Apple to reinvent the phone with each new model.
Edited by soazsun - 3/5/13 at 7:47am
post #20 of 37
Yawn- do something different a la Samsung htc etc etc or read the book copycat by oded shenkar and learn something.
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sheesh!

Rumour after rumour after rumour...

Is this AppleInsider or AppleOutsider?

Didn't you hear? *AppleInsider claims* this is from "sources familiar with Apple's plans". That proves that AppleInsider personally *knows* who iMore's sources are; otherwise, they would have said "iMore claims it has sources familiar with Apple's plans, but we are not in a position to verify this claim." That's why it's AppleInsider, not AppleOutsider. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Eh. Pretty ok with my iPad 4 so I think I'll skip this cycle. Only reason I upgraded from the 3 to the 4 was to cut back on the number of adapter cables I had to carry when traveling. 

 

So you spent hundreds of dollars to avoid carrying a 25g cable that takes up almost zero space?

 

Why didn't you just hire someone to carry your luggage for you?

 

Edit: Actually I did almost the same thing now that I think about it.  Instead of carrying my iPad 3, I bought a mini to lighten up my briefcase. I can't travel without a MBP and although I don't really need the iPad it is enjoyable for recreational use.


Edited by mstone - 3/5/13 at 9:08am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #23 of 37
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Rumour after rumour after rumour...

Is this AppleInsider or AppleOutsider?

 

A joke in reference to finally getting some Apple-related news?


Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post
Actually, there used to be (still?) a blog called Apple Outsider. It delved into more interesting stuff than rumors, as the blogger is an ex-Apple software dude.

 

Well, we have a subforum with that name, but you're right about the external site.


Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
The producers of iCarly have already patented that shape, so that can't happen ;-)

 

If Apple's patents can be ignored, so can theirs.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

One thing I do agree with in this rumor is Apple not increasing the price of the iPad.  When the iPad went retina Apple didn't increase the price, they just kept the iPad 2 and dropped the price. I can't see Apple releasing a retina mini until/unless they can do so for the same price.  I think a $399 mini would be a hard sell.  If retina was that important to people would the current mini be selling as well as it is?


Yup. Apple will not change Mini price when RD version emerges. Some day, these devices will be equipped with nuclear reactors and Apple will still price them the same.

post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A 5"S" will be viewed as 'blah' tech-wise. A low cost phone will be a margin disaster. And consider that the iPhone is at least 50% of Apple's market value.

These are nothing but rumours, along with the iWatch. A low cost iPhone... I am not sure Apple view's anything they do or ever will do as a low cost anything. I am not even sure Apple will produce this phone. They may produce a larger phone and it may be more expensive. They may even produce a different form factor using a plastic body, and it may cost less, but I doubt it will be launched as iCheap, or any such thing. As for the iWatch... everybody's talking about it but what exactly will it be? What is it's purpose? Will there really be a significant market for this... device? Apparently the margins will be great but did Apple ever produce new tech because the margins were great? Somebody please explain what this device will be and why it is so great that people who have stopped wearing anything on their wrists now will shell out hundreds of dollars to do so again. 

People may think Apple won't bring out a TV set, but at least that is something everybody has and will continue to buy. I 'get' TV's. But a watch device? Of all the rumours this one seems most left field.

post #26 of 37

Man, they really can't just release a spec bumped 5s. People won't even consider it to be a new phone at all.

 

There's a lot to be said for the cool factor. I see it all the time in my work. You can put in millions of hours into making something solid and usable and beautiful, but people need a few easy-to-articulate wow-factor elements in order get excited about something. Even if that wow-factor thing is minor and superficial compared to the rest of the work.

 

I would love to see Apple release the 5s in all the colors of the iPod Touch. Silly? Yes. But it's a silly thing that people could easily latch onto.

post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Man, they really can't just release a spec bumped 5s. People won't even consider it to be a new phone at all.

 

There's a lot to be said for the cool factor. I see it all the time in my work. You can put in millions of hours into making something solid and usable and beautiful, but people need a few easy-to-articulate wow-factor elements in order get excited about something. Even if that wow-factor thing is minor and superficial compared to the rest of the work.

 

I would love to see Apple release the 5s in all the colors of the iPod Touch. Silly? Yes. But it's a silly thing that people could easily latch onto.

I agree.  Never underestimate the power of colors.  It's crazy but it works.

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by soazsun View Post


You give too little thought to those on contracts ready to move up. My wife and I have been using 4S phones on a VZW contract running out this summer. We've loved the 4S but look forward to immediately upgrading to the 5S (or whatever it is called) because, for us, that phone will be faster, lighter, bigger, have a better camera and...oh yeah...have VZW LTE data speeds to replace the 3G we now use. And maybe more. Some Apple fans and critics alike need to spend less time worrying about the "need" for Apple to reinvent the phone with each new model.

You're right, Apple doesn't need to reinvent the phone year after year.  I don't even think that's possible unless all of Apple's supply chain partners are innovating at the same break-neck speed.  As long as Apple keeps making the iPhone better every year, I'm all for it. 

post #29 of 37
Truth is these devices the past year or so have gotten mature to the point that nobody really cares or notices an improvement anymore. It's not like things are changing anymore like they did when the original iPhone or the iPhone 4 came out. Things are very incremental now and not very revolutionary. You know what, that actually make me happy. I like not feeling like I want to upgrade my phone every year. 1smile.gif

It's just funny watching the pundits and analysts trying to keep it just as exciting with the rumor mill. Apple will ride this horse as long as they can, and then they'll shake it up again. They aren't fools; they aren't going to expend all their technological investment in one revision of a phone. They are releasing this stuff in just as measured of a fashion as they can and still be competitive and profitable to their internal benchmarks.
post #30 of 37

Played with iPad mini the other day. Didn't buy because I consider it slow compare to the A6 chip in my iPhone5 and the 6x in iPad 4. I'll be disappointed if mini Retina with current A chip isn't released, although mini screen isn't bad. A lighter, thinner, narrower, iPad Retina 10" would also pique my interest. 

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Played with iPad mini the other day. Didn't buy because I consider it slow compare to the A6 chip in my iPhone5 and the 6x in iPad 4. I'll be disappointed if mini Retina with current A chip isn't released, although mini screen isn't bad. A lighter, thinner, narrower, iPad Retina 10" would also pique my interest. 

Actually, "Retina" + "Thiner" don't add-up unfortunately. This is also a problem when it comes to the MB Air.

post #32 of 37
2 months of low activity for ios(and its devices) updates is a new theory, yet both of these are probably only a month off.
post #33 of 37

Even though there were two parts of the next iPhone leaked, I don't think Apple would launch it unless it was fully ready and might even use colors this time. Last year they rolled out the iPhone 5 with so many issues it wasn't even funny. I think this time they are going to work a lot harder to prevent any of them.

 

As for the iPad "launch in April"... why would they ship an iPad 5th gen if they just made a new iPad... Jony was made part of the head of the iOS UI Design Team after that scumbag was fired... I don't think there will be a new iPad because of this by April unless Mansfield has been working on the engineering team and part makers that make the CPU/GPU A chips... and even if they were they would need to bring new features to iOS for it, so nothing is final. Remember they have to decide whether it will be 16:9 ratio, bumping the screen height a bit and lowering the side margins but keeping the facetime camera on top. They have to make new drivers and kernels for it and they have to make a new iTunes version update to support it prior to the launch.

 

It's a lot of steps to make a new Apple product, adding the assembly labor, manufacturing of the parts, and the packaging/shipping across seas and airlines. Add all the lawsuits and meetings/marketing they have to do in between and it adds up the time.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

 

Reply

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

 

Reply
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Man, they really can't just release a spec bumped 5s. People won't even consider it to be a new phone at all.

There's a lot to be said for the cool factor. I see it all the time in my work. You can put in millions of hours into making something solid and usable and beautiful, but people need a few easy-to-articulate wow-factor elements in order get excited about something. Even if that wow-factor thing is minor and superficial compared to the rest of the work.

I would love to see Apple release the 5s in all the colors of the iPod Touch. Silly? Yes. But it's a silly thing that people could easily latch onto.

Oh really? I guess you would know. Going off of Apples history of spec-bump "S" releases, this one is doomed to fail like the previous attempts....

....oh wait. They weren't failures. They were as successful as any iPhone ever could have been.

Surprisingly, the factors you consider important couldn't be further from relevant. Shocker, I know.
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Played with iPad mini the other day. Didn't buy because I consider it slow compare to the A6 chip in my iPhone5 and the 6x in iPad 4. I'll be disappointed if mini Retina with current A chip isn't released, although mini screen isn't bad. A lighter, thinner, narrower, iPad Retina 10" would also pique my interest. 

It's meant to be more affordable than iPad. Not better. I thought this was common sense.

Of course it's going to be slow compared to iPad 4....it barely keeps up with iPad 2.

Apple is not adding a Retina Display to iPad mini...that's not even a consideration for 2013. They cannot increase cost of the device at all. The only aspects that even MIGHT be updated in 2013 are components that get cheaper with a new iteration. A processor bump is only likely if they have a chip that will outperform the current, and cost less per die.
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's meant to be more affordable than iPad. Not better. I thought this was common sense.

Of course it's going to be slow compared to iPad 4....it barely keeps up with iPad 2.

Apple is not adding a Retina Display to iPad mini...that's not even a consideration for 2013. They cannot increase cost of the device at all. The only aspects that even MIGHT be updated in 2013 are components that get cheaper with a new iteration. A processor bump is only likely if they have a chip that will outperform the current, and cost less per die.
A retina IPad mini is possible but you do have a point that it is probably 2014, but a iPad mini is probably going to be a small spec bump(camera)
post #37 of 37

Since Google now is releasing the 2nd generation Nexus 7 with 331 ppi screen resolution and graphic engine that is 4X faster that of the original along with 2GB of RAM and it is thinner too; Apple I believe is just holding off releasing the Mini Retina to protect their profit margin of the iPad 5.  I guess most potential buyers would take the Mini Retina over the iPad 5.   Thus, Apple will release the iPad 5 in October and get all the potential buyers for the iPad 5 and in 2nd quarter 2014 release the iPad Mini Retina after all the buyers are saturated for the iPad 5.  Heard this in one of the financial forums.   The pundit claim that they already develop the iPad Mini and prototyped it back in 1 quarter 2013 but decided not to release it for mass production.   I hope this is wrong and Apple will release it in October!

 

After all; if Google can produce the Nexus 7 2nd generation; Apple with all it engineer can do the same since it roughly the same screen ppi and battery size.  After all; Apple should have a head start on iPad development since it was the creator of the iPad tablet but Microsoft back in 2002 did a similar tablet but did not market it!  They felt there was no demand for such an item.  LOL!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: iPhone 5S slated for August release following next-gen iPad launch in April