or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bear spray-armed thieves rob Vancouver Apple Store

Bear spray-armed thieves rob Vancouver Apple Store

post #1 of 72
Thieves armed with bear spray hit the Oakridge Mall Apple Store in Vancouver just before closing in Monday, spraying roughly 40 people and making off with an unknown number of iPods, iPads, and notebooks.

The Vancouver Job

The National Post carried word of the robbery, which saw three men bearing a caustic, cayenne pepper-based chemical attack the Apple Store. There were roughly 40 customers in the store, of which five would later need treatment by paramedics for exposure to the spray. The robbers are said to have fled by car.

Most of the valuable Apple electronics are likely to have been out of reach of the robbers, as Apple Stores keep most stock in hidden storage rooms behind closed doors. Vancouver police say that the thieves made off with only "a small number of electronics."

Apple Store robberies have been a recurring occurrence since the company first opened its specialized retail outlets. The premium nature of Apple's products, combined with the relative ease of access to the stores, makes them a prime target for smash-and-grab operations. The new year kicked off with word that thieves in Paris had made off with $1.3 million in Apple products from the Apple Store there. Another more recent robbery saw a thief destroying a $100,000 custom glass door to steal $64,000 in merchandise.
post #2 of 72

Response: make Bear spray illegal  :)

post #3 of 72
Don't these idiots understand aside from the security cameras, these devices can be tracked?
post #4 of 72
I smelled pepper-spray once, from a distance, that stuff is horrible. Never experienced anything like that before.
post #5 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Don't these idiots understand aside from the security cameras, these devices can be tracked?

They aren't that idiot if they managed to steal so many. Dishonest yes. And the device can't be tracked if it doesn't have a wireless connection. They can take all the time they want formatting it. They are going to sell them anyway so they don't care.

post #6 of 72
"Hey, hoser... we need more money for beer and hockey eh?", "Yeah. Well, uh... there's one of those Apple stores up north, eh." "You're a genius. Let's drinks some brews. I got bear spray, eh...".

http://www.lazydork.com/movies/strangebrew.jpg
post #7 of 72

They try to attack me with bear spray in a robbery attempt, they'll get a lead sandwich.  

post #8 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Response: make Bear spray illegal  1smile.gif

If you make bear-spray illegal then only illegals will have bears… or something like that. 1biggrin.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #9 of 72
And Microsoft stores can't GIVE their crap away.
post #10 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Response: make Bear spray illegal  :)

A more realistic answer ... ?  

Make drugs legal.  

Most theft stops overnight when that happens. 

post #11 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you make bear-spray illegal then only illegals will have bears… or something like that. 1biggrin.gif

It's not illegal to buy it in Canada but it is illegal to use it on humans. They slap your wrist a little harder.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #12 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They try to attack me with bear spray in a robbery attempt, they'll get a lead sandwich.  

Not in Canada.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #13 of 72
Quote:

Watch out, we've got a badass over here.

Oakridge mall always seems to get robbed. There's a high-end jewelry store that's been hit twice before in the same mall and there have been a few other "incidents" there over the years. It's odd because it's not in a bad area of the city.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #14 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Make drugs legal.  

I wish it would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Not in Canada.

Some guns are legal in Canada.

But with bear mace, you have to have an extreme tolerance in order to react cogently once you're hit. You probably won't even be able to see once hit. Otherwise you, assuming you had a gun, you don't know if you're hitting your target, or worse, hitting bystanders. Sometimes part of having a solution is also knowing when your solution is inappropriate or won't work.
post #15 of 72

I don't know about you guys....but I'm not really built for jail!

I would never attempt anything like this! :)

post #16 of 72

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:26pm
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"libtards"?  Serious question:  how old are you?

FWIW in most of the US it's already a felony to use any pepper spray on humans for any purpose other than self-defense.  There is no limit on the amount of either self-defense pepper spray or even bear spray (which is much more concentrated) that an individual can possess, and possession of either is not a crime in itself.  On the contrary, many local PDs recommend pepper spray as an effective means of stopping an assault, though most recommend some training for proper use and awareness of the penalties for misuse.

I am not sure if you caught my sarcasm.  I am not against people having bear spray in any quantity, nor am I opposed to people using it for self defense. I was sarcastically referencing the gun control climate in the U.S. right now.

post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Some guns are legal in Canada.

You're not allowed to carry a gun in Canada without a permit.

Getting a permit in Canada is akin to asking the Republican party to endorse gay marriage [or gun control].

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #19 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

They aren't that idiot if they managed to steal so many. Dishonest yes. And the device can't be tracked if it doesn't have a wireless connection. They can take all the time they want formatting it. They are going to sell them anyway so they don't care.

They didn't get that many. They were apparently only able to grab some of the demo units which means used items that have been scratched up etc by cx and likely have their serials recorded which adds an extra level of tracking should someone try to bring one in for repair etc.

And you assume they were smart enough to turn off/restore them right off. 

If they were really smart they would have cased and attacked the incoming shipment. Clean product, no iCloud etc on it yet, possibly no serials recorded yet to even track that way. Cameras are often exposed so you can baseball bat or spray paint them to cover up what's going on etc. Often the shipments are pallet wrapped so bring the right gear and you can be out of there quick with a lot of stuff

Edited by charlituna - 3/5/13 at 7:51am

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're not allowed to carry a gun in Canada without a permit.

Getting a permit in Canada is akin to asking the Republican party to endorse gay marriage....

So Canadians need Obama and Democratic Party to endorse it during an election year? 1smoking.gif

post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Canadians need Obama and Democratic Party to endorse it during an election year? 1smoking.gif

Something like that.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #22 of 72
Make drugs legal.  

Right, because making them legal also makes them all free in any quantity. Anyone can afford any drug and never needs to commit any crime to get it.

Or were you joking?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #23 of 72
Apologies but I'm a city boy so I have no idea what the hell bear spray is. Can someone please enlighten me?

edit: So it's pepper spray to deter bears, and not really dangerous.
Edited by dasanman69 - 3/5/13 at 8:37am
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They didn't get that many. They were apparently only able to grab some of the demo units which means used items that have been scratched up etc by cx and likely have their serials recorded which adds an extra level of tracking should someone try to bring one in for repair etc.

And you assume they were smart enough to turn off/restore them right off. 

If they were really smart they would have cased and attacked the incoming shipment. Clean product, no iCloud etc on it yet, possibly no serials recorded yet to even track that way. Cameras are often exposed so you can baseball bat or spray paint them to cover up what's going on etc. Often the shipments are pallet wrapped so bring the right gear and you can be out of there quick with a lot of stuff
Sounds like you've done your homework. I guess we know who to point the police to the next time there's a big hit on Apple Store. 1smile.gif
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Watch out, we've got a badass over here.

Oakridge mall always seems to get robbed. There's a high-end jewelry store that's been hit twice before in the same mall and there have been a few other "incidents" there over the years. It's odd because it's not in a bad area of the city.

Answer:  That's where the money is.

Question:  Why do you rob banks?  (Jewelry/Apple stores  :^)

post #26 of 72
As punishment, when caught, these thieves should have to listen to an Apple Genius for 30 days straight.
post #27 of 72
Quote:

Make drugs legal.  

How does that stop theft? People aren't robbing the drugs, they're robbing to pay for the drugs, legal or not.
post #28 of 72
While I hate seeing security guards in retail (or even the use of security control devices), Apple has had enough robberies that I think they need to put security guards in each store. But not the useless $10-an-hour rent-a-cops, but maybe hire some (U.S.) veterans. That would be a win-win IMO.
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, because making them legal also makes them all free in any quantity. Anyone can afford any drug and never needs to commit any crime to get it.

Or were you joking?

No, not joking.  

I did mean "legal & free" but only because in Canada, (or any place with proper healthcare), making them legal would be essentially the same as making them free in that any drug that you really need can be obtained on the national health. 

It's also a fact that almost all theft, (especially petty theft, B&E's etc.), is for the purposes of getting money for drugs.

Legal drugs == massive reduction in theft and burglary of all kinds. 

No one really holds up a gas station for food money.  No one really breaks into a house to steal a stereo so they can go home and play records.  

post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How does that stop theft? People aren't robbing the drugs, they're robbing to pay for the drugs, legal or not.

Sorry, forgot about the Americans.  

post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

It would take something like PCP for a response like that.  Here's what it does to most people (and this guy had a light dose):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gw78gLU6fQ

One can actually get used to pepper spray, and it'll have little to no effect on them. I remember back when Mace used tear gas instead of pepper spray.
post #32 of 72
Quote:

Sorry, forgot about the Americans.  

Are the drugs subsidized in your country? Not only legal but they're free too?
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or were you joking?

Substance abuse of any sort (except perhaps that drug from Limitless) doesn't appear to be healthy for a person or their community but I agree that making all drugs legal wouldn't solve crime issues for those in need. They still need funds and the price isn't likely to drop to a point that's it's affordable to all, and it doesn't consider the abusers that are well past their limit that still need to rely on alternative means which may be even pricer now since the dealer's previous model has been severely reduced do to legalization. It would likely reduce crimes for illegal trafficking and keep a lot more people out of jail but that still not addressing robbery to support a habit.

post #34 of 72
Quote:

In Canada you'll be the one ending up in prison.

That is if they don't use their guns on you.

post #35 of 72
Damn Yankees come up here to steal our iPhones.
post #36 of 72
Quote:

No, not joking.  

I did mean "legal & free" but only because in Canada, (or any place with proper healthcare), making them legal would be essentially the same as making them free in that any drug that you really need can be obtained on the national health. 

It's also a fact that almost all theft, (especially petty theft, B&E's etc.), is for the purposes of getting money for drugs.

Legal drugs == massive reduction in theft and burglary of all kinds. 

No one really holds up a gas station for food money.  No one really breaks into a house to steal a stereo so they can go home and play records.  

So I can get a prescription for Bolivian Marching Powder in Canada?
post #37 of 72

So in Canada you could theoretically drum up a "need" for cocaine or heroin, and the government, using the tax dollars of other citizens, would have to provide you with cocaine or heroin for free?

Hmm… citation?

Now I know you're fibbing it a little.

post #38 of 72
So when will these appear on eBay.ca? Anyone buying this is gonna have a tough time registering them.
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

One can actually get used to pepper spray, and it'll have little to no effect on them.

We both watched the same Steven Seagal movie.

post #40 of 72

This is why we need bear spray-armed guards at every elementary school and Apple Store. I would feel much safer if at least 1 or 2 unknown individuals at each school and store had bear spray on their person.

/s

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bear spray-armed thieves rob Vancouver Apple Store