or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bear spray-armed thieves rob Vancouver Apple Store

Bear spray-armed thieves rob Vancouver Apple Store - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I smelled pepper-spray once, from a distance, that stuff is horrible. Never experienced anything like that before.

In US Army basic training they marched us into an enclosed room filled with CS gas, first wearing gas masks then taking them off. That's when you learn the physical reaction is beyond your control. Being a tough guy is no protection from debilitation.

post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thieves armed with bear spray hit the Oakridge Mall Apple Store in Vancouver just before closing in Monday, spraying roughly 40 people and making off with an unknown number of iPods, iPads, and notebooks.

The Vancouver Job

The National Post carried word of the robbery, which saw three men bearing a caustic, cayenne pepper-based chemical attack the Apple Store. There were roughly 40 customers in the store, of which five would later need treatment by paramedics for exposure to the spray. The robbers are said to have fled by car.

Most of the valuable Apple electronics are likely to have been out of reach of the robbers, as Apple Stores keep most stock in hidden storage rooms behind closed doors. Vancouver police say that the thieves made off with only "a small number of electronics."

Apple Store robberies have been a recurring occurrence since the company first opened its specialized retail outlets. The premium nature of Apple's products, combined with the relative ease of access to the stores, makes them a prime target for smash-and-grab operations. The new year kicked off with word that thieves in Paris had made off with $1.3 million in Apple products from the Apple Store there. Another more recent robbery saw a thief destroying a $100,000 custom glass door to steal $64,000 in merchandise.
Where was batman & superman @?
post #43 of 72
There are quite a few de-sensitising solutions available for tear gas and mace already. My cousin in the French police tells me de-censitising is standard for riot squads.
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm… citation?

This is actually true. I volunteer on the DTES (the drug infested part of Vancouver) and it's well known that the majority of crimes are committed for the purpose of getting money to buy drugs. Same thing with prostitution.

A drug "pusher" (who will work for organized crime like the Hell's Angels here or Mafia in other cities) wants to have as many "customers" as possible. Once a person is addicted then that pusher (and his boss) now has a customer that will bring them in a guaranteed $100-300 per day, every day, for the rest of their life until they OD and die, go to prison, or get treatment for their addiction (the least likely outcome). They need to get that money somewhere and they sure aren't getting it from having a regular job.

Now I'm not for making all drugs freely available, but they could make the addictive drugs free for addicts. This would greatly reduce the income organized crime makes and also greatly reduce property crime (to pay for those drugs). And the price for these drugs wouldn't be that much of a burden on health care since they won't cost the government the same price as "street drugs" with their ridiculous profit.

post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

As punishment, when caught, these thieves should have to listen to an Apple Genius a Microsoft Guru for 30 days straight life.

There, fixed that for you!

That's a death sentence if I've ever heard one. lol.gif

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #46 of 72

Where were the undercover Apple security employees packing heat?

Don't they have those in Canada? How do you stop bear spray armed thieves? You shoot them dead, that's how.

post #47 of 72
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Don't these idiots understand aside from the security cameras, these devices can be tracked?

And all stolen iPhones can be blocked from any GSM-based network.  Cell phones are all assigned a unique IMEI number, and the theft victim (Apple in this case) can tell their carrier to "blacklist" their stolen phone so it won't work on that carrier's network.  You can check your phone's IMEI number by typing *#06# on its keypad.

Again, this only works on GSM networks AFAIK.  And a phone's IMEI number can actually be changed, which may explain why 10% of all IMEI numbers are supposedly not unique.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imei)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

In US Army basic training they marched us into an enclosed room filled with CS gas, first wearing gas masks then taking them off. That's when you learn the physical reaction is beyond your control. Being a tough guy is no protection from debilitation.

That's tear gas and a very big difference from pepper spray.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156306/bear-spray-armed-thieves-rob-vancouver-apple-store/40#post_2288160"]Where were the undercover Apple security employees packing heat?

Don't they have those in Canada? How do you stop bear spray armed thieves? You shoot them dead, that's how.

Is that your only solution?
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonParmesan View Post

In America. Where was Dudley Doright?
post #51 of 72
Are we sure this isn't another underground marketing ploy by Samsung?
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

A more realistic answer ... ?  

Make drugs legal.  

Most theft stops overnight when that happens.

Because crackheads and methheads are highly employable individuals with unlimited expendable income.

NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is that your only solution?

It sounds like the logical and most practical solution, if you ask me. Those thieves should come on down to my local Apple store and pull that stunt. I doubt that they would last long.

What else did you have in mind?

post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahlman View Post

Because crackheads and methheads are highly employable individuals with unlimited expendable income.

Most street drugs are expensive because it's illegal to have, grow/make, transport, etc. Take the illegality away and it gets cheap and crime goes down a lot. Exactly what happened when the US prohibition ended.
post #55 of 72

Was there a description of the robbers, or did they pull their tuques down over their faces?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Most street drugs are expensive because it's illegal to have, grow/make, transport, etc. Take the illegality away and it gets cheap and crime goes down a lot. Exactly what happened when the US prohibition ended.

That's true, but even if crack costs $10, what if the crackhead or methhead doesn't have $10?

Those people will kill their own grandmother for a few bucks. I'm all for legalizing harmless, safe drugs, like weed and a few others, but stuff like meth should not be legal.

post #57 of 72
Quote:
[" url="/t/156306/bear-spray-armed-thieves-rob-vancouver-apple-store/40#post_2288205"]That's true, but even if crack costs $10, what if the crackhead or methhead doesn't have $10?

Those people will kill their own grandmother for a few bucks. I'm all for legalizing harmless, safe drugs, like weed and a few others, but stuff like meth should not be legal.

It's easier to steal $10 than $1000. Generally less dangerous and less destructive for everyone too.
post #58 of 72
Quote:
[" url="/t/156306/bear-spray-armed-thieves-rob-vancouver-apple-store/40#post_2288190"]
It sounds like the logical and most practical solution, if you ask me. Those thieves should come on down to my local Apple store and pull that stunt. I doubt that they would last long.

What else did you have in mind?

They had non lethal weapons. They weren't looking to hurt anyone physically.
post #59 of 72
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
They had non lethal weapons. They weren't looking to hurt anyone physically.

What a bunch of crap.

The second somebody decides to rob a store, they are putting other people's lives on the line. The second that they entered the store, they were putting other people in jeopardy. And spraying 40 people with a strong pepper spray? What if an elderly person got sprayed and had a heart attack or something?

Yes, they should have all been killed. Your excuses for pathetic criminals and lowlifes are totally ridiculous.

post #60 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a bunch of crap.

The second somebody decides to rob a store, they are putting other people's lives on the line. The second that they entered the store, they were putting other people in jeopardy. And spraying 40 people with a strong pepper spray? What if an elderly person got sprayed and had a heart attack or something?

Yes, they should have all been killed. Your excuses for pathetic criminals and lowlifes are totally ridiculous.

As for your last two comments, they are totally deranged, and not even worth responding to.

Well fortunately the decision as to weather lethal force could be used, in this situation, to stop the theft of a few high tech gizmos is up to Canadians, of which a majority due not want guns in shopping malls unless in the hands of highly trained security. No one was harmed. Insurance should cover the costs. The perpetrators will get caught. The Mounties will get their man. You seem to think that blood splattered across the windows would be better, weather it was the blood of an innocent bystander or not. Imagine the security guard trying to aim with pepper spray in his eyes. Still if it happened in America and a majority of Americans agree with that approach I would say "have at er". When I visit the states I will abide by your rules and when you visit Canada your guns will be left at the border.  peace. 

post #61 of 72
Quote:
[" url="/t/156306/bear-spray-armed-thieves-rob-vancouver-apple-store/40#post_2288268"]What a bunch of crap.

As for your last two comments, they are totally deranged, and not even worth responding to.

1) As an expert in TV crime dramas I can tell you that if one kills accidentally or without intent during the commission of a felony they can be held accountable and tried for murder, at least in the US. I don't watch any Canadian crime dramas to know if they have a similar law but if there ever is a Tango & Canuck series I'll sure to record it.

2) You are very black and white in your beliefs. Dude, it comes across as crazy. You seem to want someone who steals a loaf of bread to be treated the same as a warlord who commits genocide: kill them.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/5/13 at 1:47pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #62 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You seem to want someone who steals a loaf of bread to be treated the same as a warlord who commits genocide: kill them.

Holding up an Apple store and spraying 40 people with bear strength pepper spray is hardly stealing a loaf of bread.

If you or others don't believe in self defense and will happily get sprayed by pepper spray, letting criminals do whatever they want, then be my guest.

post #63 of 72
Quote:
[" url="/t/156306/bear-spray-armed-thieves-rob-vancouver-apple-store/40#post_2288348"]
Holding up an Apple store and spraying 40 people with bear strength pepper spray is hardly stealing a loaf of bread.

If you or others don't believe in self defense and will happily get sprayed by pepper spray, letting criminals do whatever they want, then be my guest.

Case in point.

post #64 of 72
Quote:

What a bunch of crap.

Who are you? Inspector Javert?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WontonParmesan View Post

Helping out the locals in the UK :) http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4823608/Man-dressed-as-Batman-hands-in-criminal.html

post #65 of 72
Quote:

Does this include cheating on your taxes?

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #66 of 72
Quote:
[" url="/t/156306/bear-spray-armed-thieves-rob-vancouver-apple-store/40#post_2288348"]

That's why we have law enforcement, so there's consequences to their actions. They robbed the store not the employees. Look at it this way, would you bother with someone that basically stole a few pennies from you? Because in the big picture that's what those devices amount to for Apple.
post #67 of 72
Quote:

Self Defense is also about Limiting the Offence. Where this crime took place there were no Security Guards in the store. There were in the same mall, at the Jewelry Store, FYI. Apple could pay the extra cost to hire armed Security, if they wanted. In Canada it is not illegal to own guns but it is more difficult to obtain a gun as training on operation, safe transportation and storage and rules about where they can be used limit greatly the number of guns and the types of guns in the streets. If Apple had am armed security guard I am sure the robbers would not have just brought a pepper spray. As it is illegal to carry a gun in public unless you are Police or Trained, Certified and Registered Security you won't find any "good guys with guns" although you will find a lot of good guys. It is a different reality than what is happening in the States. You guys are in a gun debate right now I understand that. It is your States and you will decide but this in that debate, but this was a Canadian crime on Canadian soil. We have decided what is the best defense against violence and our crime rates compared to yours speak for them selves. 

post #68 of 72
Quote:

What a bunch of crap.

Justice never punishes people for what could have happened, always for what actually happened.

And most people are just totally misguided, that doesn't mean they deserve to die.

post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) As an expert in TV crime dramas I can tell you that if one kills accidentally or without intent during the commission of a felony they can be held accountable and tried for murder, at least in the US. I don't watch any Canadian crime dramas to know if they have a similar law but if there ever is a Tango & Canuck series I'll sure to record it.

Hawaian drama : " Book 'emDanno" !

(edit : BTW, thanks for helping me to improve my English, I was not aware of what a Bear Spray was (Bears had disapeared in France, a few of them (from Eastern Europe) have recently been introduced, but this decision is not welcomed by everybody)

post #70 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Hawaian drama : " Book 'emDanno" !
(edit : BTW, thanks for helping me to improve my English, I was not aware of what a Bear Spray was (Bears had disapeared in France, a few of them (from Eastern Europe) have recently been introduced, but this decision is not welcomed by everybody)

It's more or less commonly known that "bear spray" is the only legally obtainable weapon in Vancouver, and when someone asks to buy it, they really aren't going to be using it on bears. Bears are native to BC, but they don't live inside the cities. The people that obtain it are usually the same people who would carry mace or a tazer in the US.
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

It's more or less commonly known that "bear spray" is the only legally obtainable weapon in Vancouver, and when someone asks to buy it, they really aren't going to be using it on bears. Bears are native to BC, but they don't live inside the cities. The people that obtain it are usually the same people who would carry mace or a tazer in the US.

thanks

post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

They don't live there but they do come to visit regularly 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTpm1KonS9Y

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=80fc792d-471c-48b7-869d-d3abf2f0f665

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bear spray-armed thieves rob Vancouver Apple Store