or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google updates Chrome & Maps for iOS, brings improved search and sharing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google updates Chrome & Maps for iOS, brings improved search and sharing

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Google on Monday rolled out an update for the iOS version of Google Maps, adding contact searching and saved addresses. A separate update for its Chrome browser, gives iDevice users improved search functionality and browser navigation, as well as better sharing features.

maps


Google Maps version 1.1 brings the ability to search Google Contacts and to sign in to have saved addresses show up when searching for friends and family by name. It also brings the ability to search for local places by category, such as restaurant, bar, cafe, etc. Google Maps version 1.1 is available as a free download in the iTunes App Store. The 7.6MB download requires an iDevice running iOS 5.1 or later.

Tuesday's release is the first major update for Google Maps since the software hit the App Store in December. The software was highly anticipated after Google's mapping data was removed from the iPhone with the release of iOS 6.

chromey


Chrome version 25.0.1364.86 brings the requisite stability and security improvements and bug fixes for an update. It also adds a feature where a long press on the back button will allow a user to quickly access any page in the tab's history.

Users now also have the option to share web pages using messages. Going to "Menu" and then to "Share" will allow users to share content through emails, Message, or their favorite social network.

The new version also changes the search experience so that search terms now appear in the browser's omnibox instead of as part of a longer search URL. According to Google's post on the feature, it will be rolling out in the coming weeks, so users may not notice it immediately.

Chrome for iOS is available now as a free download in the iTunes App Store. The 18.6MB download requires an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad running iOS 5.0 or later.
post #2 of 22
Am I spectacularly stupid, or is it near impossible to get Google Maps to give you turn by turn directions? I'm sure I managed it once, but I've not been able to since (all it seems to do is let me "preview" a route).

At the moment, I'm using Google Maps to search for places, then I'm entering them into Apple Maps for the driving directions.

I so wish Apple would get the data behind the maps right, and make the search better. Their app interface is tremendous.
post #3 of 22
Chrome is awesome. I cringe when Safari opens on a link.

I wish we could make a default browser a choice of our own.
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Am I spectacularly stupid, or is it near impossible to get Google Maps to give you turn by turn directions? I'm sure I managed it once, but I've not been able to since (all it seems to do is let me "preview" a route).

At the moment, I'm using Google Maps to search for places, then I'm entering them into Apple Maps for the driving directions.

I so wish Apple would get the data behind the maps right, and make the search better. Their app interface is tremendous.

 

You're right, getting to turn by turn with google maps isn't intuitive at all. I was utterly confused the first time, and had trouble remembering what to do the 1st while after that. Apple definitely got the simplicity and intuitiveness of their app right. As for the data, I have no doubt they're investing all possible resources into it. 

post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


I so wish Apple would get the data behind the maps right

I wish they could parse their various data vendors and see which one had better data for a given location. In my case Open Street Maps has now been populated with very rich and accurate data for my location but Apple Maps is getting their data from some place else and it sucks.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #6 of 22

Neither Google's maps or Apple Maps are perfect, but Apple Maps look much better (more iOS like) and for me at least, work fine.

 

And I don't want The Mountain View Ad Company making a dime off of me by tracking me and doing God knows what with their spam.

post #7 of 22
Getting turn by turn in Google's maps stink. It is not intuitive at all. More importantly, when you do get it to work, it auto corrects routes on the fly poorly, and forgets to tell you to turn. Apple's maps have worked better for me, although Apple's reliance on Yelp for POI interest data should be rethought.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Chrome is awesome. I cringe when Safari opens on a link.

I wish we could make a default browser a choice of our own.

Based on what?

 

It's much slower, has less sharing options, is less elegant, etc (even on desktop).

 

Again, based on what? Or are you a little sheep that likes to follow the herd without thinking?

post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Based on what?

It's much slower, has less sharing options, is less elegant, etc (even on desktop).

Again, based on what? Or are you a little sheep that likes to follow the herd without thinking?

Yeah, his comment wasn't a "I prefer Chrome" comment it was that Safari is so bad that he cringes when it opens a link.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Based on what?

 

It's much slower, has less sharing options, is less elegant, etc (even on desktop).

All the desktop browser comparison tests I have seen put Chrome ahead of Safari in the speed department. Elegance is more subjective.

 

I use Safari most of the time though, just because I'm used to it, but Chrome is also a decent browser in my opinion.

 

Safari is also incompatible with Bank of America's Secure Pass Bill Pay feature, so I have to use Chrome for that.

 

I have rarely used Chrome on iOS although I do have it installed.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #11 of 22
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
Again, based on what? Or are you a little sheep that likes to follow the herd without thinking?

 

It's possible that an argument could be made that Safari users are the "sheep" for "refusing to use anything other than what they were given, with a pat on the head". 1wink.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All the desktop browser comparison tests I have seen put Chrome ahead of Safari in the speed department. Elegance is more subjective.

I use Safari most of the time though, just because I'm used to it, but Chrome is also a decent browser in my opinion.

Safari is also incompatible with Bank of America's Secure Pass Bill Pay feature, so I have to use Chrome for that.

I have rarely used Chrome on iOS although I do have it installed.

There is something about native browsers that just work smoother and feel more natural to me. This is why on Windows I also use IE. Granted, I use Google Frame in IE so I have a better rendering engine but I still use IE for my browser app.

As for speed, at this point any "mine is faster" comments are like taking an atom and comparing atomic weight due to electron variances. They all render very quickly and very well from my experience, including IE10.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 22
post #14 of 22
Hope... Apple will fix the Maps soon!
post #15 of 22

One thing I wish were possible is going from a Google map on Chrome right to the Google Maps app. Am I missing a way to do that?

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All the desktop browser comparison tests I have seen put Chrome ahead of Safari in the speed department. Elegance is more subjective.

 

I use Safari most of the time though, just because I'm used to it, but Chrome is also a decent browser in my opinion.

 

Safari is also incompatible with Bank of America's Secure Pass Bill Pay feature, so I have to use Chrome for that.

 

I have rarely used Chrome on iOS although I do have it installed.

Chrome is decent, but safari (on a mac) is better. It has more fluid gestures (that makes web browsing more fluid generally), amazing html 5 support, opens faster, etc. But chrome is also very good, on the DESKTOP. Mobile? it is absolutely trashed (+2x) even on android/iOS. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

It's possible that an argument could be made that Safari users are the "sheep" for "refusing to use anything other than what they were given, with a pat on the head". 1wink.gif

No. If you are spending 1.5k on a computer, you know how to use it and you are well informed (this is certain for almost every case), so if you choose safari, you are not eating what you have on day 0 because of ignorance (like most that use IE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


There is something about native browsers that just work smoother and feel more natural to me. This is why on Windows I also use IE. Granted, I use Google Frame in IE so I have a better rendering engine but I still use IE for my browser app.

As for speed, at this point any "mine is faster" comments are like taking an atom and comparing atomic weight due to electron variances. They all render very quickly and very well from my experience, including IE10.

Safari is much smoother, especially on OSX and the biggest difference is scrolling and gestures. For me, that's crucial. However, Safari also benefits from not having flash, and that just makes everything faster.

 

p.s: the difference in speed between safari and chrome on iOS is very perceptible.

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Chrome is decent, but safari (on a mac) is better. It has more fluid gestures (that makes web browsing more fluid generally), amazing html 5 support, opens faster, etc. But chrome is also very good, on the DESKTOP. Mobile? it is absolutely trashed (+2x) even on android/iOS. 

No. If you are spending 1.5k on a computer, you know how to use it and you are well informed (this is certain for almost every case), so if you choose safari, you are not eating what you have on day 0 because of ignorance (like most that use IE).

Safari is much smoother, especially on OSX and the biggest difference is scrolling and gestures. For me, that's crucial. However, Safari also benefits from not having flash, and that just makes everything faster.

 

p.s: the difference in speed between safari and chrome on iOS is very perceptible.

 

 

I agree on a Mac and iOS, Safari is better. Apple's gesture support is outstanding. Swiping and pinch to zoom are much more fluid then on competing browsers. In terms of speed, both Safari and Chrome are fast. Moreover, Chrome calls home like a million times a day. Safari calls home once a week to check for updates. 

 

If I weren't going to use Safari, I would use Firefox, which actually has come a long way on the Mac. It has decent gesture support, looks at home on a Mac, is also quick, and it doesn't call home every ten minutes. 

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You're right, getting to turn by turn with google maps isn't intuitive at all. I was utterly confused the first time, and had trouble remembering what to do the 1st while after that. Apple definitely got the simplicity and intuitiveness of their app right. As for the data, I have no doubt they're investing all possible resources into it. 

The Google Maps app in Android is much better to turn by turn. I guess it's something they are holding as an advantage to owning a Droid. As a former owner, that is one of the few.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Neither Google's maps or Apple Maps are perfect, but Apple Maps look much better (more iOS like) and for me at least, work fine.

And I don't want The Mountain View Ad Company making a dime off of me by tracking me and doing God knows what with their spam.

You did see this, right?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156315/ios-apps-leak-more-personal-data-than-do-android-apps-report
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Based on what?

It's much slower, has less sharing options, is less elegant, etc (even on desktop).

Again, based on what? Or are you a little sheep that likes to follow the herd without thinking?

Well this is new. An Apple user calling other Apple user a sheep.
post #21 of 22

iPad optimised version??? My mum misses streetview on her iPad and the iPhone app looks crap on the iPad.

Are they even planning an iPad version?

post #22 of 22
Dolphin is the best browser I tested on iPad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google updates Chrome & Maps for iOS, brings improved search and sharing
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google updates Chrome & Maps for iOS, brings improved search and sharing